No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Wrong number text [Re: ~ADC~] #6775722
02/18/20 11:46 PM
02/18/20 11:46 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by gray dog
They want me to answer a question to see the article. What kind of scam are you getting me into?

laugh

Just Skip survey. It's the Albuquerque newspaper site. Here's the article from almost 3 years ago

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — “This is it. I’m tired of this %&*$ world, no one cares about me. “I’m going to kill myself at 7:00 pm. Don’t try and stop me.”

That was the text message that appeared on an Albuquerque man’s phone recently. It’s a phone he uses only rarely to make calls, and even less frequently for text messaging – maybe once a year, if that, his wife said.

The suicide message, she said, came “out of the blue” from a number with a 505 area code and left the couple “perplexed and worried.”

They ended up not responding because they were suspicious it was a scam, but “on the flip side, what if the text was legitimate and it was someone reaching out for help?” she said.
The state Attorney General’s Office said it has not received any reports of this type of incident, but it pays to be aware and to think twice before responding if it does happen to you.

The AG’s advice: “Always be cautious when corresponding via text with a phone number you don’t know.”

Beth Velasquez, associate state communications director for AARP, called the suicide message “a diabolical tactic.”

“Scammers will continue to find ways to play on our emotions, and we need to be wary of that,” she said.

It’s difficult to know what might have happened had the Albuquerque couple responded to the text, but it’s possible the person might have continued the ploy in hopes of getting money or their personal information.

Velasquez says the incident is similar to the emergency scam in which someone hacks or spoofs your Facebook page or email account, then sends emergency messages seeking money to those on your contact list. “More common is the post saying a famous person is dying or killed and when you click on it, it puts malware on your computer and gets your contacts that way and then sends out a similar message,” Velasquez said.

A good rule of thumb, she says, is: “If it sounds too good to be true or sounds off, trust those instincts and just hang up.”

While the state court system has had to scramble for money this year, it is not true that Supreme Court Justice Charles Daniels is sending out a round of emails, trying to get people to send cash.

The state Attorney General’s Office warned Friday that the scam email includes Daniels’ name and photograph but incorrectly lists his title as court clerk. The fake Daniels seeks to “extort money, suggesting that recipients need to appear in court or face arrest if they don’t pay $750.”

Scams in New Mexico have impersonated everyone from law enforcement officers to Attorney General Hector Balderas, but this appears to be the first using a state Supreme Court justice’s name, according to the warning from Balderas’ office.

Both his office and the state’s high court are warning people not to respond to the email.

The Better Business Bureau is warning people to watch for phony social media posts and messages from fake “friends.” Scammers are using Facebook to entice people with “free” government grant money, according to the BBB. If you reply to the “friend,” he or she will point you to someone posing as an official government agent on Facebook.

There are many red flags about this, but the big one is that the government normally relies on mail to communicate, not Facebook. If you’re uncertain, call the government agency, but find the number independently.

Ellen Marks is assistant business editor at the Albuquerque Journal.

Re: Wrong number text [Re: Bruce T] #6775728
02/18/20 11:51 PM
02/18/20 11:51 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Originally Posted by Bruce T
The thought crossed my mind. If it was a scam what did it cost me? If it wasn't and I read about a young girls suicide what do you think it would have cost me?

Exactly.

X3
I think I would've done the same thing. You slept better last night knowing you might have helped save a life.

Years ago working at hospital I walked out on the dock to see a lady sitting and standing in the ledge of the roof of the generator building. Just then security and hospital heads came out and said policy forbids me from talking to her & police and physc drs were on the way. I stayed in the dock area until she was rescued and got help.

Last edited by adam m; 02/19/20 12:25 AM. Reason: added text
Re: Wrong number text [Re: FairbanksLS] #6775731
02/18/20 11:52 PM
02/18/20 11:52 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
They want me to answer a question to see the article. What kind of scam are you getting me into?

No big deal. Click on it , it is a survey. Maybe a Hearst media thing. Scroll down , click ' skip survey ' brings you right to article , no harm , no foul.
My local newspaper (owned by Hearst) does this.

I clicked through as posted , safe link , no worries , tested it , OK.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Wrong number text [Re: FairbanksLS] #6775734
02/18/20 11:57 PM
02/18/20 11:57 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
I like this site. In the last 2 weeks I have been called clueless and gullible. Someday maybe someone will call me what I really am and get banned. Hahaha

all in friendly banter - I'm probably just jaded, I feel like everyone has been trying to reach my about my car's extended warranty. laugh

Re: Wrong number text [Re: FairbanksLS] #6775762
02/19/20 05:58 AM
02/19/20 05:58 AM
AR
T
TurkeyWrangler Offline
trapper
TurkeyWrangler  Offline
trapper
T

AR
I believe it was a scam as well. You just didn't let it get that far. So either way you did the right thing.

Poor people have poor ways.
Re: Wrong number text [Re: FairbanksLS] #6775769
02/19/20 06:54 AM
02/19/20 06:54 AM
N.W. Pennsylvania
JTaddeo Offline
trapper
JTaddeo  Offline
trapper

N.W. Pennsylvania
I give scammers fake credit card numbers and try to get their information from them...I'll meet up with you if you want. I did have one fool show up at the Flying-J...I think he peed himself..

None of them EVER show up at the Game Lands....National Forest either....I find it quite enjoyable to string them along knowing I'm helping to waste the lifetime that they are already wasting.

Lies deserve lies, cheats should be cheated, and if they push it beyond that....well, the response(s) will be decisive. Is that helping the situation? Probably not.

Just as I believe that a fully armed and trained society IS a polite society and it's the best way to go. Some people need a butt whooping and some need ......... whistle

If these people worked half as hard at finding a job as they do trying to steal from others they'd be just fine.

Same with the beggars on the streets, I'll gladly buy you a sandwich and hot cup of coffee but you're NOT getting drinking money or cash for nicotine addiction from me.

I do not answer the phone half the time I know who it is calling let alone numbers I don't know....yep the world is getting VERY COLD and it's just starting....WAIT!

“Scammers will continue to find ways to play on our emotions, and we need to be wary of that,” she said.

This little gem right here is, IMHO, well worth thinking about deeply, it's how advertising works, it's how campaigns work, it's how scammers work, and it's how manipulation is done, especially PSY-OP's.

Last edited by JTaddeo; 02/19/20 06:59 AM.

Keep your boots dry and your powder too.

I remember when a fur check was reality.....now I'm just trapping for the love of it.

Best Regards,

JT
Re: Wrong number text [Re: FairbanksLS] #6775881
02/19/20 09:45 AM
02/19/20 09:45 AM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline OP
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline OP
trapper
F

AK
I've got a good story about a 40ish well dressed Russian guy that I met at the Anchorage airport when I had a 2.5 hour layover. I won't bore you with an 1.5 hour story but you could be talking to a very rich man. I'm not rich and he wasn't happy, he really wanted to make my golden years better.

Last edited by gray dog; 02/19/20 09:47 AM.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Wrong number text [Re: adam m] #6775885
02/19/20 09:51 AM
02/19/20 09:51 AM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
Originally Posted by adam m

Just Skip survey. It's the Albuquerque newspaper site. Here's the article from almost 3 years ago

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — “This is it. I’m tired of this %&*$ world, no one cares about me. “I’m going to kill myself at 7:00 pm. Don’t try and stop me.”

That was the text message that appeared on an Albuquerque man’s phone recently. It’s a phone he uses only rarely to make calls, and even less frequently for text messaging – maybe once a year, if that, his wife said.

The suicide message, she said, came “out of the blue” from a number with a 505 area code and left the couple “perplexed and worried.”

They ended up not responding because they were suspicious it was a scam, but “on the flip side, what if the text was legitimate and it was someone reaching out for help?” she said.
The state Attorney General’s Office said it has not received any reports of this type of incident, but it pays to be aware and to think twice before responding if it does happen to you.

The AG’s advice: “Always be cautious when corresponding via text with a phone number you don’t know.”

Beth Velasquez, associate state communications director for AARP, called the suicide message “a diabolical tactic.”

It’s difficult to know what might have happened had the Albuquerque couple responded to the text, but it’s possible the person might have continued the ploy in hopes of getting money or their personal information.

Velasquez says the incident is similar to the emergency scam in which someone hacks or spoofs your Facebook page or email account, then sends emergency messages seeking money to those on your contact list. “More common is the post saying a famous person is dying or killed and when you click on it, it puts malware on your computer and gets your contacts that way and then sends out a similar message,” Velasquez said.

A good rule of thumb, she says, is: “If it sounds too good to be true or sounds off, trust those instincts and just hang up.”

While the state court system has had to scramble for money this year, it is not true that Supreme Court Justice Charles Daniels is sending out a round of emails, trying to get people to send cash.

The state Attorney General’s Office warned Friday that the scam email includes Daniels’ name and photograph but incorrectly lists his title as court clerk. The fake Daniels seeks to “extort money, suggesting that recipients need to appear in court or face arrest if they don’t pay $750.”

Scams in New Mexico have impersonated everyone from law enforcement officers to Attorney General Hector Balderas, but this appears to be the first using a state Supreme Court justice’s name, according to the warning from Balderas’ office.

Both his office and the state’s high court are warning people not to respond to the email.

The Better Business Bureau is warning people to watch for phony social media posts and messages from fake “friends.” Scammers are using Facebook to entice people with “free” government grant money, according to the BBB. If you reply to the “friend,” he or she will point you to someone posing as an official government agent on Facebook.

There are many red flags about this, but the big one is that the government normally relies on mail to communicate, not Facebook. If you’re uncertain, call the government agency, but find the number independently.

Ellen Marks is assistant business editor at the Albuquerque Journal.

Was I the only one that noticed that they didn't say the suicide text was a scam? They said it might have been. It also might not have been.

Last edited by M.Magis; 02/19/20 09:52 AM.
Re: Wrong number text [Re: FairbanksLS] #6775887
02/19/20 09:56 AM
02/19/20 09:56 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
No today ISI, not today

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Wrong number text [Re: FairbanksLS] #6775890
02/19/20 10:03 AM
02/19/20 10:03 AM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
gray dog I for one think you did the right thing. And even IF it was a scam, you didn't lose anything. You may have very well saved this girl's life and that potential act is worth it's weight in gold. IF it was a scam, you didn't lose any money. You aren't getting flooded with more robo calls. I say, good on you man!

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Wrong number text [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6775961
02/19/20 11:47 AM
02/19/20 11:47 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho
gray dog I for one think you did the right thing. And even IF it was a scam, you didn't lose anything. You may have very well saved this girl's life and that potential act is worth it's weight in gold. IF it was a scam, you didn't lose any money. You aren't getting flooded with more robo calls. I say, good on you man!

I don't know about that, now that he verified his is an actual number, they'll sell it off to the guy from visa and mastercard card services, or the FedX guy who needs you to click here to get stats on your package you ordered from Amazon... lol

Re: Wrong number text [Re: ~ADC~] #6776025
02/19/20 12:55 PM
02/19/20 12:55 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline OP
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline OP
trapper
F

AK
330 and ADC. Would you guys tell me what risk I took? I don't think anymore information was shared than if I blocked the number, if I'm wrong I'd really like to know.

What you did seems to have worked out ok for you it seems, but I'm still betting it was a scam. Some other poor sap may have went to meet "her" or sent money or whatever. People don't send that important of a text to a wrong number. I get spam texts everyday, everything from updates on items "I ordered", to nude pics of some girl I "met" years ago. lol I'll bet if you google the exact text you may just come up with more info on it.

I have never received these, nevertheless it is always good to listen to people with experience. laugh

My order updates are sent by Amazon to my email.

Last edited by gray dog; 02/19/20 01:00 PM.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Wrong number text [Re: ~ADC~] #6776136
02/19/20 03:18 PM
02/19/20 03:18 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho

I don't know about that, now that he verified his is an actual number, they'll sell it off to the guy from visa and mastercard card services, or the FedX guy who needs you to click here to get stats on your package you ordered from Amazon... lol

Man, you are just a glass is half full type aren't you?

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Wrong number text [Re: FairbanksLS] #6776146
02/19/20 03:31 PM
02/19/20 03:31 PM
Shenandoah County, VA
L
l1ranger Offline
trapper
l1ranger  Offline
trapper
L

Shenandoah County, VA
dont give out sensitive information over the phone. Use 1/2 the brains in your head and even if you get tied to scam, it won't bite ya

next, graydog, you took a chance at trying to possibly help someone in a bad place - that is never wrong. never.
kudos to you

Josh
Re: Wrong number text [Re: FairbanksLS] #6776153
02/19/20 03:45 PM
02/19/20 03:45 PM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
Not to get on a tangent, but years back I received a text from what must have been a teenage girl/young woman. Have no idea who it was, but it was one of those "I hope she makes you happy since you chose her" and "I still love you...." . No big deal, I just closed it and forgot about it. Until the day my wife was using my phone and came across it...
Not the most pleasant conversation for a few minutes.

Re: Wrong number text [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6776655
02/19/20 10:47 PM
02/19/20 10:47 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
This doesnt seem like a scam and I am hopeful someone who needed it got help.

A similar scam is a girl starts texting you, fairly innocently, then she sends "inappropriate pictures" then her "dad" calls you screaming and threatening to call the cops because you have "pictures" of his underage daughter, of course the emotional distress will abide if you send him money.

This is where I ask the guy if he wants to buy some pictures of his wife!
grin

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread