No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Positive things about BSA #6776097
02/19/20 02:31 PM
02/19/20 02:31 PM
Texas
J
jtg Offline OP
trapper
jtg  Offline OP
trapper
J

Texas
First, I don't agree with many of the new decisions from BSA. I just hate that we are allowing Liberals to destroy this once great organization. We should be thoughtful about joining their liberal cause. Some of those boys that I worked with needed a role model bad and turned around them in a positive direction. Many of the boys, now men are in collage and we are still in contact with me on their progress. Out of the seven boys in my Cub Scout troop, five became Eagle Scouts including my son.

I will say BSA has made a big difference in my own life,my son and the young men that I have mentored. I was a Scout, Cub Scout and Boy Scout leader. I have never seen or heard of anything like has been mention lately in the news in our local troop. (Not saying it does not happen.)
If you take part of the troop and go to the events, their is little to no chance of anything bad going to happen. In fact, numbers are showing a much less chance than anywhere else, although you will not hear that from the news. If a troop is run correctly it's always two deep leadership and Scouts are always with a buddy. Leaders have a background check with lot's of training.
By saying the Scout Law and Scout Oath over and over it get's ingrained. Becoming an Eagle Scout opens many doors, but most important it provides life skill, like leadership, first- aide, knot tying, navigation and many other things.

https://www.redbubble.com/people/dgregory92/journal/4421264-one-hundred-scouts

Re: Positive things about BSA [Re: jtg] #6776102
02/19/20 02:35 PM
02/19/20 02:35 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
They said on the news last night the lawsuits were from issues 30 years ago not current ones.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Positive things about BSA [Re: jtg] #6776103
02/19/20 02:36 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
Agreed jtg. My 5 sons are all Eagles.

Re: Positive things about BSA [Re: jtg] #6776104
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
I have to agree, but it did happened. My two grandsons are Eagle Scouts. We are in different times. I think we need scouts more than ever, but just do not have the confidence I had years ago. I do not support having girls in boy scouts. JMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Positive things about BSA [Re: jtg] #6776110
02/19/20 02:43 PM
02/19/20 02:43 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Just like everything else parents need to be active in their kids lives. I'm sure a pedophile can pick out the ones that are the most vulnerable.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Positive things about BSA [Re: jtg] #6776122
02/19/20 03:00 PM
02/19/20 03:00 PM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
Just as the alphabet group want everything that the straight people do, they need to add in another letter.

LGBTQ"P" (pedophile). What's the difference if its a youngster or an adult? I know, its the law.

Since when has perversion been acceptable?

Vietnam--1967 46th. Const./Combat Engineers

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction."
"After the first shot, all plans go out the window!"
Re: Positive things about BSA [Re: jtg] #6776123
02/19/20 03:01 PM
02/19/20 03:01 PM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
I still remember the scout rules from a long time ago.

The 12 rules to follow.

Vietnam--1967 46th. Const./Combat Engineers

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction."
"After the first shot, all plans go out the window!"
Re: Positive things about BSA [Re: jtg] #6776125
02/19/20 03:04 PM
02/19/20 03:04 PM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
Scouting has provided me with so many memories and lessons. I earned Eagle in 96, just before it started to go downhill.

We need Scouts the way it was, it turned boys into men. It wasn't some watered down participation trophy activity where everybody wins.

Re: Positive things about BSA [Re: Lazarus] #6776129
02/19/20 03:14 PM
Texas
J
jtg Offline OP
trapper
jtg  Offline OP
trapper
J

Texas
Congratulations, you must be an awesome dad.

Originally Posted by Lazarus
Agreed jtg. My 5 sons are all Eagles.

Re: Positive things about BSA [Re: k snow] #6776130
Texas
J
jtg Offline OP
trapper
jtg  Offline OP
trapper
J

Texas
Yes, Sir. I agree.

Originally Posted by k snow
Scouting has provided me with so many memories and lessons. I earned Eagle in 96, just before it started to go downhill.

We need Scouts the way it was, it turned boys into men. It wasn't some watered down participation trophy activity where everybody wins.

Re: Positive things about BSA [Re: seniortrap] #6776133
02/19/20 03:16 PM
02/19/20 03:16 PM
Texas
J
jtg Offline OP
trapper
jtg  Offline OP
trapper
J

Texas
It's not acceptable and I would not even consider it when I was a leader.

Originally Posted by seniortrap
Just as the alphabet group want everything that the straight people do, they need to add in another letter.

LGBTQ"P" (pedophile). What's the difference if its a youngster or an adult? I know, its the law.

Since when has perversion been acceptable?

Re: Positive things about BSA [Re: FairbanksLS] #6776134
02/19/20 03:17 PM
02/19/20 03:17 PM
Texas
J
jtg Offline OP
trapper
jtg  Offline OP
trapper
J

Texas
That's right and I, my son and the other boys would put extra effort to the most vulnerable.

Originally Posted by gray dog
Just like everything else parents need to be active in their kids lives. I'm sure a pedophile can pick out the ones that are the most vulnerable.

Re: Positive things about BSA [Re: Getting There] #6776137
02/19/20 03:19 PM
02/19/20 03:19 PM
Texas
J
jtg Offline OP
trapper
jtg  Offline OP
trapper
J

Texas
I don't agree with it either, (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) me off. It was forced by liberal corporation with threats of legal action. My voice was hold the line and tell them to go to ...

Originally Posted by Getting There
I have to agree, but it did happened. My two grandsons are Eagle Scouts. We are in different times. I think we need scouts more than ever, but just do not have the confidence I had years ago. I do not support having girls in boy scouts. JMO

Last edited by jtg; 02/19/20 03:22 PM.
Re: Positive things about BSA [Re: jtg] #6777068
02/20/20 10:19 AM
02/20/20 10:19 AM
North Fairfield Ohio
B
BryanOney Offline
trapper
BryanOney  Offline
trapper
B

North Fairfield Ohio
Scouts were an amazing part of my youth and many other young men in the 70s and 80s when I grew up in small town America in Ohio. My friends and I owe a great dept to the men who were our leaders in Scouts. The time they took to have weekly meetings, help and motivate us to earn merit badges, and put together camping trips was a big commitment. Women in our town were very involved also in the early stages of scouting like cub scouts. I appreciate what they did for us also. All the adults involved in the scouting of my youth were exceptional role models. I miss that part of my youth. My troop would camp during trapping season on local farms and set traps Friday and Saturday night and catch some animals. Good times.

Re: Positive things about BSA [Re: jtg] #6777098
02/20/20 10:44 AM
02/20/20 10:44 AM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Online content
trapper
Muskrat  Online Content
trapper

Wisconsin
Two words for any of the former scouts on here that ever attended Camp Decorah north of La Crosse: Sam Hagerman. Now there was a scoutmaster.

Re: Positive things about BSA [Re: Getting There] #6777371
02/20/20 03:24 PM
02/20/20 03:24 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Getting There

I agree with not having girls in scouts too. Same as I don't agree with boys in girl scouts. In my day, we would have referred to them as sissies for wanting to play with girls. I don't agree with gay scoutmasters either for a couple of reasons.

We are told not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but are told to judge all gunowners by the actions of a few.
Re: Positive things about BSA [Re: BryanOney] #6777603
02/20/20 07:52 PM
02/20/20 07:52 PM
Texas
J
jtg Offline OP
trapper
jtg  Offline OP
trapper
J

Texas
I also remember those days. My leaders were some older WW2 vet's and some just of the finest men and as you have mention exceptional role models. They would set up tables after school to learn knots and to teach us map and compass and they made sure we learned it.
The liberals are doing a good job destroying BSA and the News is doing a good job helping them.

Originally Posted by BryanOney
Scouts were an amazing part of my youth and many other young men in the 70s and 80s when I grew up in small town America in Ohio. My friends and I owe a great dept to the men who were our leaders in Scouts. The time they took to have weekly meetings, help and motivate us to earn merit badges, and put together camping trips was a big commitment. Women in our town were very involved also in the early stages of scouting like cub scouts. I appreciate what they did for us also. All the adults involved in the scouting of my youth were exceptional role models. I miss that part of my youth. My troop would camp during trapping season on local farms and set traps Friday and Saturday night and catch some animals. Good times.

Re: Positive things about BSA [Re: jtg] #6777903
02/21/20 02:37 AM
02/21/20 02:37 AM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Terrible thing about the boy scouts as a whole.They no longer exist as we have known it and now they may not exist at all much longer.I am a life scout and I have two sons that are eagle scouts.They are quality individuals with outstanding morals.Yes I am very proud and I know that my wife and I had lots to do with it but I also feel scouting was also a major part.My one son has a masters degree he achieved with almost no memory due to an accident and runs his own successful business.My other son has a BS in computer science.He has been out of school for two years and he makes 90k+ a year.After he had worked there for a year he was in the office talking to his boss about a promotion and his boss said do you know why I hired you? The boss said because you are an eagle scout !

Re: Positive things about BSA [Re: jtg] #6778121
02/21/20 11:05 AM
02/21/20 11:05 AM
Wisconsin
A
asphalttrapper Offline
trapper
asphalttrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Wisconsin
I was never a Scout, but my son joined cub scouts when he was six and then crossed over into BSA when he as 11.
My son is on the Autism spectrum and joining the local BSA Troop made a world of difference for him. Our troop is a small troop
and 10 out of 11 scouts in his troop became Eagle Scouts. In our troop almost all the parents became involved in some capacity we always had at least 2 deep most times 3 ,4 deep leadership. Although the kids are either in college or out of college pursuing careers when the get together they still reminiscence about the fun times they had.

Last edited by asphalttrapper; 02/21/20 11:05 AM.
Re: Positive things about BSA [Re: jtg] #6778310
02/21/20 12:35 PM
02/21/20 12:35 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I was a scout through most of my youth in the sixties and seventies. I was an outstanding experience. The summer and winter stays at Camp Shicelemy in the Blue Mountains with the Order of the Arrow Ceremonies, the Jamborees, the nighttime games of Capture the Flag at our scoutmaster's farm and so much more...

I wouldn't trade those great experiences for anything.

I agree that liberals have destroyed the BSA but I think the organization still does some good. My neighbor's son was a scout over the last ten years or so. He's a good kid who took an interest in hunting and trapping. I don't know what sparked that interest, his mom and dad don't participate in hunting, trapping or fishing.

Two years ago he was up for Eagle Scout. His mom ask me to write a letter of recommendation to the review board.

Here is a copy of that letter:

Dear Eagle Scout Review Board, April 2, 2018
I am writing this letter of recommendation for Josh xxxxx. I have known Josh for a number of years since his parents bought a house just down the street from me.
Josh has accompanied me on my winter trap line and is turning into a good hunter. Two seasons ago I helped him track, find and process a deer he was patient and persistent enough to harvest. He has also worked for me on several occasions. Josh messages me and stops by regularly to chat and update me on how things are going.
Josh is an honest, hard-working young man. I’m impressed with the fact that he goes to school and vo-tech full time and until recently worked as a dish-washer almost every evening. The only reason that situation has changed is because he landed a job working in his chosen vocation, diesel mechanics. It’s currently part-time while he finishes school; his employer has promised a full-time position upon his graduation.
I am also impressed with the fact that Josh has been a member of the Boy Scouts for all these years and has achieved a higher rank than I did when I was a Boy Scout.
It is really rather refreshing to know that, despite the sometimes negative news about Josh’s generation, there are still young men like him.
I believe Josh would make a fine Eagle Scout and feel he should be awarded admission into that elite group.
Thank you,

xxxxxxx xxxxxx

Josh made Eagle Scout.

Eh...wot?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread