No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: MO Auction Results [Re: cfowler] #6781171
02/24/20 01:06 AM
02/24/20 01:06 AM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
A key issue in the fur market is, we don't use the product we produce. We sell it to another country, primarily China at the moment. Well, we buy Chinese stuff because they can make it cheaper than us. BUT, we produce a good and want top price for our effort. Similarly, we put economic sanctions on Russia, the other big buyer of US wild fur. We (the USA) create economic hardships on another country, yet somehow expect our markets to remain economically strong. Those are just situations that exist for us today as producers of a raw product. The main buyers of the goods we produce, and a huge portion of the end-product users, are currently at economic war with us. When the US dollar trades higher, most of our goods sell lower overseas. Part of the "Cheap Gas = Cheap Fur" model. The best thing that could happen to the US wild fur market is if the US dollar was equal to the country's currency we're selling to. The country buying our product needs to be on equal footing with us to get any where close to a true production costs for most US trappers. Wild Fur is still one area that we can outperform much of the world on, but countries that want our fur have to have good economies in order to buy our fur at good prices, and we have to have good trade relationships with those countries.

I agree Bigfoot, when coyotes and castor prices dip, some will be holding a loss. That's all part of it. The fur buyers that buy some of this and that diversify somewhat to offsets those losses with gains in other areas. It's a market. Lot has to do with reading the market and timing. The more uncertainty, the greater the gains. The fur market has performed very well during some of the worst economic times.

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: MO Auction Results [Re: cfowler] #6781265
02/24/20 08:37 AM
02/24/20 08:37 AM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO
I firmly believe the higher commission hurt the sales. I remember watching several guys with over 500-over a 1000 coon sell at our auctions. The numbers just aren't being run through our only state auction now days. I still use the report to plan my next years trapping efforts. I can tell you when a muskrat is paying more than a coon...…..I will likely continue to bow hunt a bit longer or do something else like bale hay instead of chasing $3 coon.

Re: MO Auction Results [Re: cfowler] #6781513
02/24/20 12:37 PM
02/24/20 12:37 PM
Sumner, Mo.
C
claycreech Offline
trapper
claycreech  Offline
trapper
C

Sumner, Mo.
I agree Keith. However the market is the main reason those big lots aren’t there anymore. The big numbers Missouri coon guys aren’t killing Big numbers anymore. But I agree, it’s hard to pay that commission on cheap fur.

It also goes back to the composition of the buyers. There was only one buyer there Saturday that wouldn’t hesitate to bid on 1000 coon lots. One bidder don’t work at an auction lol

Re: MO Auction Results [Re: cfowler] #6781528
02/24/20 12:53 PM
02/24/20 12:53 PM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
Treed, the commission got raised during the last boom in coons I believe. Why, because there were trappers coming in with 500 or 1,000 coons, ave. in the high teens-up into the high twenty's and even thirty's. They were collecting some nice checks at those auctions, up to 3 auctions a year is what the association ran at one point just to handle the amount of fur MO trappers were producing. Fifty cents on a $20-$30 coon wasn't a problem, you barely noticed it. Then the price fell. Many of those same trappers that brought in those big numbers are still around. Many still attended the sale yesterday. They aren't out catching 500-1,000 coons each season now, even though it'd be easier, cause nobody else is really trapping. There's more bigger coons around now than I've seen over the past 8 years. You don't even have to put in much effort to trap 100 coons right now. It's because there's no market that those coons aren't being brought in those larger numbers more than anything else. When there was a market, every coon had a value. We all know that's not the case right now. Some, you can't even give away. It's entirely possible that some have stayed away from the auction, due to the commission price, while continuing to catch large numbers, and they now market them elsewhere, to avoid commission fees at auction. I will say the commission fee issue was raised at a board meeting not too long ago. I will include it in my notes for discussion at the March 14th board meeting. If any changes are proposed, what changes would you suggest? What do you feel is a fair commission price? Remember, the association must rent the building, pay auctioneers, and cover any other related expenses from the commission fees collected. The association plans and organizes the events on behalf of it's members. Members then contribute to the costs through a commission fee. So the trapper pays a portion based on amount of sales, whether it's a price per pelt, or a percentage of sales. Just the way it's set up.

~You Grin, You're In~
Re: MO Auction Results [Re: claycreech] #6781533
02/24/20 12:54 PM
02/24/20 12:54 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Online content
trapper
Dirt  Online Content
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by claycreech
I agree Keith. However the market is the main reason those big lots aren’t there anymore. The big numbers Missouri coon guys aren’t killing Big numbers anymore. But I agree, it’s hard to pay that commission on cheap fur.

It also goes back to the composition of the buyers. There was only one buyer there Saturday that wouldn’t hesitate to bid on 1000 coon lots. One bidder don’t work at an auction lol

That's one more than NAFA was getting at the end. smile

Who is John Galt?
Re: MO Auction Results [Re: cfowler] #6781665
02/24/20 02:55 PM
02/24/20 02:55 PM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO
Clay -

Do you ever think any new buyers will emerge? I hate to feel gloomy, but we lost a generation of buyers within the last few years here in Missouri. I used to have several to drive to - and this year could not find one I heard of.

Re: MO Auction Results [Re: claycreech] #6781680
02/24/20 03:13 PM
02/24/20 03:13 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by claycreech

Thats the truth

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: MO Auction Results [Re: cfowler] #6781709
02/24/20 03:44 PM
02/24/20 03:44 PM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline
trapper
B

central Missouri
Why dont you all go back to the historic 3.5% commission that it used to be . Thats 70 cents on a $20.00 coyote and 17.5 cents on a $5 coon it eavens out and is fair. If a seller is paying a big commision fee it is because the auction is doing the seller a good service . When the auction was set up like that it made the association a little money , was fair and could change with the market it didnt matter if you were selling 25 cent oppossums or $1800 worth of castor it was fair . Where else can you consign so.ting for 3.5%.

Last edited by Bigfoot; 02/24/20 04:00 PM.
Re: MO Auction Results [Re: Bigfoot] #6781850
02/24/20 06:21 PM
02/24/20 06:21 PM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
Originally Posted by Bigfoot
Why dont you all go back to the historic 3.5% commission that it used to be . Thats 70 cents on a $20.00 coyote and 17.5 cents on a $5 coon it eavens out and is fair. If a seller is paying a big commision fee it is because the auction is doing the seller a good service . When the auction was set up like that it made the association a little money , was fair and could change with the market it didnt matter if you were selling 25 cent oppossums or $1800 worth of castor it was fair . Where else can you consign so.ting for 3.5%.

I'll bring that up at the spring meeting. As you guys know though, once an issue is voted on to move forward, the next step forward is to present it to the general membership to vote on. On March 14th we have the Spring Meeting. Board members will meet in the morning, the general membership meeting is that afternoon. We have to have at least 40 members attend to have a vote on any issue. Seems like there's a lot of issues that get decided on by only a small percentage of voters. If it's an issue that matters to you, you should attempt to attend. We only meet twice a year. Spring Meeting and Fall Rendezvous meeting.

~You Grin, You're In~
Re: MO Auction Results [Re: cfowler] #6782361
02/25/20 08:51 AM
02/25/20 08:51 AM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO
Where and when is the spring meeting?

Re: MO Auction Results [Re: cfowler] #6782385
02/25/20 09:18 AM
02/25/20 09:18 AM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
Spring Meeting March 14th
Runge Nature Center
Jefferson City, MO
General Membership meeting 1pm

~You Grin, You're In~
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread