No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Beaver rising and lowering river and creek level? #6783255
02/25/20 11:39 PM
02/25/20 11:39 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline OP
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline OP
trapper
P

Indiana
How dose beaver behavior change with rising and falling water levels if at all. I was making a few sets knowing the water is up and probably still rising. They may be ok or useless in the morning but it got me thinking about how little I really know about beaver behavior and How they react to changes in their world.

I'm not much of a beaver trapper normally only targeting when a property owner wants them removed while I'm there targeting k 9s and or coons.

Well truthfully I'm not much account of a traper on anything but enjoy learning and feel I learned more about wildlife and nature in the process of trapping than any other outdoor pursuit

Where would I look for a good resource on beaver behavior. Not just life cycle but how they environmental changes like rising or falling water levels?

Re: Beaver rising and lowering river and creek level? [Re: Providence Farm] #6783323
02/26/20 01:47 AM
02/26/20 01:47 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Some of beaver behavior can be seasonal and related to normal dispersal patterns. Generally in flooding conditions I see beaver moving upstream or into sidewaters or feeder streams.

In western Oregon breeding season begins in January and it seems to get beaver moving around more than normal. I'm sure if you make internet searches you will find studies on beaver where their movements are tracked. Look for the studies made in your own climatic zone or region if possible.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Beaver rising and lowering river and creek level? [Re: beaverpeeler] #6783415
02/26/20 08:37 AM
02/26/20 08:37 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline OP
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline OP
trapper
P

Indiana
Thank you.

Re: Beaver rising and lowering river and creek level? [Re: Providence Farm] #6783418
02/26/20 08:43 AM
02/26/20 08:43 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Here in farm country beaver use bank dens. A hole is dug into the bank below the level of water. they tunnel uphill till they get above water level and dig out a room. If you look during normal waterflow you will see dens high up on the bank that are used when the water is high. When it floods they dont use dens. They will just hide in log jams and stuff that wash up.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread