No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Ash Wednesday #6783401
02/26/20 08:14 AM
02/26/20 08:14 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline OP
trapper
Pike River  Offline OP
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
I like reading up in various observances when they come around.

I was just reading THIS TIME MAGAZINE ARTICLE

I was surprised to learn that it wasnt as popular 50 years ago.

"And the most familiar Ash Wednesday observance—the ash crosses worn on the foreheads of many churchgoers—hasn’t always been acknowledged by all branches of Christianity, Winner says. It wasn’t until a few decades ago that the tradition became widespread in the United States.

In the 1970s, the practice matched up with a few wider trends in American religion, including the embrace of once-discarded traditions and the search for ways to connect the physical body to spiritual life. Ash Wednesday was an opportunity for a multi-sensory way of connecting faith to the body, so many American Christians at the time decided to begin wearing that outward physical mark of their spiritual lives. Winner says she thinks its popularity has endured as it offers those celebrating an easy way to prompt conversations about faith."

Re: Ash Wednesday [Re: Pike River] #6783429
02/26/20 08:57 AM
02/26/20 08:57 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Couple of the boys just left for a 7am Ash Wednesday service before school. Love the Easter season and all that goes with it.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Ash Wednesday [Re: Pike River] #6783433
02/26/20 08:59 AM
02/26/20 08:59 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Online content
trapper
EdP  Online Content
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
As a kid in a Catholic family l always hated ash Wednesday. First it meant getting up early for morning mass before school. Then they put the ashes on our foreheads and told us not to rub it off. We went to school with a bunch of other kids from various protestant backgrounds who all asked why you didn't wash your face. If I had been smarter I would have just rubbed the ashes off. The "popularity" has not endured in my mind and I am no longer a practicing Catholic (for many reasons).

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread