No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Old rod and reel questions #6789008
03/01/20 07:27 PM
03/01/20 07:27 PM
Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
S
shanemoss Offline OP
trapper
shanemoss  Offline OP
trapper
S

Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
I decided to restore some old fishing poles and use one in the BWCA. I have a pflueger Trump, a sears, and a herters. Two have metal rods and one fiberglass. Do you actually cast these things? The direct drive thing seems to hinder that? Use your thumb and sling (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) out of it?

I think I’ll blue and turn a cedar handle and cedar reels handles on a metal one, and new cork on the others. All the guides are on and look good, just clean them up. I assume they were designed to use that big braided line? I’m gonna try to find some or use something else.....maybe tip up line? I’m open to any and all advice. I remember them as a kid but they were in the barn and already replaced by 202’s, 404’s, and finally a 33. Lol. Thanks....shane

When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.
Re: Old rod and reel questions [Re: shanemoss] #6789025
03/01/20 07:43 PM
03/01/20 07:43 PM
minn
F
fossil2 Offline
trapper
fossil2  Offline
trapper
F

minn
yes, you can cast them, but not a long distance using braided line. thumb the spool to keep from back lashing. itll take practice. I enjoy taking an old rod and reel out occasionally. usually troll for northern pike, using an old plug, and the heavy braided lines. your reels probably have a "spool brake" to slow the spool from spinning too fast. have fun with them.

Re: Old rod and reel questions [Re: shanemoss] #6789573
03/02/20 11:16 AM
03/02/20 11:16 AM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Bird nest specials is what I remember on them. Took a heavy weight to cast one 15 foot.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Old rod and reel questions [Re: shanemoss] #6789638
03/02/20 12:52 PM
03/02/20 12:52 PM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
Lots of bruised knuckles when I was a kid.

Re: Old rod and reel questions [Re: shanemoss] #6789648
03/02/20 01:21 PM
03/02/20 01:21 PM
West coast of Iowa
I
iaduckhntr Offline
trapper
iaduckhntr  Offline
trapper
I

West coast of Iowa
I grew up using that style of bait casters. They don't work well with mono line, better with braided nylon 10-12 lb. size. Back in the day most lures were 5/8 or 3/4oz. sized 1/2oz. is about the lightest that ever worked for me. takes some practice to educate your thumb which is used both for a drag and to prevent spool over run on the cast. Dad always had the phluger acron;s. I still like them for river fishing use the click for a strike indicator with a slip sinker Enjoy the old girles, many tons of fish have been caught with them over the years
Dennis

Old 8 toes~~ life ITA and NRA member
Life in the fast lane is no place for a tricycle!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread