No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: Wesley] #6795706
03/08/20 07:50 PM
03/08/20 07:50 PM
fayette,al.
G
grisseldog Offline
trapper
grisseldog  Offline
trapper
G

fayette,al.
A Butt Whoopin is what they need and so does their lazy parents for doping them up..

Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: Boco] #6795709
03/08/20 07:56 PM
03/08/20 07:56 PM
MO
T
trap master Offline
trapper
trap master  Offline
trapper
T

MO
Originally Posted by Boco
Its like autism-never heard of it back in the day-now every other kid is "on the spectrum" somewhere.
Maybe we never heard of it years ago cause they locked up the retards and did not integrate them like they do today.

Originally Posted by Boco
Its like autism-never heard of it back in the day-now every other kid is "on the spectrum" somewhere.
Maybe we never heard of it years ago cause they locked up the retards and did not integrate them like they do today.

Lol, I laughed out loud when I read that.

oh and don't forget all the other ones who use the Bi Polar excuse....

Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: Wesley] #6795710
03/08/20 07:58 PM
03/08/20 07:58 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Sodium benzoate , and food dyes , especially red 40 reek havoc on a childs brain

Unfortunatly people feel slighted when they leave the doctors office WITHOUT a prescription for a bottle of magic pills

Seems zombieism is easier to deal with

Last edited by AntiGov; 03/08/20 08:02 PM.

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: Wesley] #6795712
03/08/20 08:00 PM
Underwood,Indiana
M
mask bandit Offline
trapper
mask bandit  Offline
trapper
M

Underwood,Indiana
Yes it's real , my youngest son has it , we took him off his medicine about two years ago because starting to control himself , he just turned 15. My wife grandpa had it , his nickname was flea hopper because he couldn't set down when he was a kid.

Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: grisseldog] #6795713
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by grisseldog
A Butt Whoopin is what they need and so does their lazy parents for doping them up..

WRONG!

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: Wesley] #6795721
03/08/20 08:13 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I and most of my family are ADD/ADDS / ADHD / ADHDS.

fist one must understand what this means.

ADD Attention Deficit Disorder somtmes with S syndrome the H would be hyperactive

it was very miss named 180* backwards

there is no Deficit of attention , most ADD people my self and family included are actually Hyper attention , just not necessarily for what you wanted me to do.

our minds process huge amounts of data , sitting in a restaurant I am listing to the conversation at my table and 2-5 others depending how close they are the worst part is I want is badly to answer the questions at 3 of them but manners dictate I don't.

we can at times pay attention to many inputs while at others we have such total focus that we hear nothing other than what we are doing like welding a bead you hear nothing and see nothing other than what you are doing. what athletes would call in the Zone.

one DR I had said these are traits that would have made us Awesome hunters but don't fit into the school norms , yeah he was very right about that. think about all the thinks you see that other people don't when hunting and trapping you see the animal tracks a belly rub in fresh dew , how the grass is laid over , a rubbed spot on a fence , a few hairs stuck in a fence wire , the pattern of tracks going across the snow you know what made it from a hundred yards.

the H hyperactivity think of a good hunting dog , he has the energy to hunt all day and he is excited to do it , lives for the hunt using his senses and tracking the game. would you want a lathargic dog that wanted to sit around all day as a hunting dog. No

it is very much a Square peg in a Round hole issue say school is a 1 inch round hole and you are a 1 inch square peg you have 4 extra corners , the first corner Energy to go all day working and walking and hunting. second corner you are talking in a hundred inputs great if your hunting not so good if your supposed to be paying attention to the droning slow lesson being taught to the level of the slowest person in the room. you seeing suzy twirl her hair , Danny pick his nose , annie passing notes , Jimmy sleeping and every car that passes on the road out the window , the birds in the tree outside the window. apply other symptoms to the remaining corners.

the most common medication used to treat the symptoms to attempt to wound your corners is Methalphenidate yes i am sure i spelled that wrong aka Speed it makes normal people stay awake for 24 hours soccer moms steal their kids pills and have the energy to stay up all night cleaning he house , college students use it for long hours of cram sessions. but for an ADD ADHD person it makes them tired.
years later I realized why my middle school principal would ask me what he though my Riddalin would do to him if he took it. had to go to the office for an after lunch pill. I told him he would probably fall asleep on his desk not knowing that he was testing me , it made me tired it would have had him running the halls.

why none before 1980?

all of my mothers father and all brothers dropped out of high school all 6 of them none of them were dumb they all did fine in life most had successful businesses construction or mechanic but round hole square peg they didn't fit school they got by till they could get out.

I was diagnosed in the early 80s.

yes there is a lot of miss understanding about ADD / ADHD

before the 80s you did well enough to get by till you could drop out of school , but the push for standardized testing , and 100% graduation rates getting to drop out age at 16 wasn't an option you must now be 18 to drop out.

if you had a hard time concentrating on school work , just barley got by and then went on to do fine in life when you found work you could get into maybe farming , trapping , construction , mechanical anything hat interestes you and keeps your mind and body occupied you could have well be diagnosed as ADD/ADHD.

the reality is if the teachers could teach an ADD class where the info was really well organized and laid out and ran at a fast pace like a video learning lesson where it is really condensed and all right there the ADD kids could often have had the lesson in the first 5 minutes of class and done one of each type of example problem and been out to recess. but when lessons takes hundreds of wasted seconds of writing with squeaky chalk on a black board repetition of doing 12 of one type of problem it is all just places for the mind to get lost doing 12 other things but what the teach wants.

there is something to the mind getting used to taking data at a different pace the tv and internet and endless videos full of content that the mind gets used to proccessing faster but many class rooms are the same so more kids are diagnosed ADD or ADHD.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: Wesley] #6795722
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Giving an Autistic child or a child with ADHD a butt whoopin for acting out would be like giving someone a butt whoopin because they're ignorant.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: Wesley] #6795726
03/08/20 08:18 PM
03/08/20 08:18 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
think about when your driving 75 on the interstate and you get off at an exit and have to drive 25 through a town , it feels like the slowest 25 you have ever driven your mind has been processing at 75mph and now all the input is 1/3 speed it is like talking a 78 record and playing it at 33 everything is soooo slooowwww

so there is sooo much time to get distracted by everything else going on.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: Wesley] #6795732
03/08/20 08:23 PM
03/08/20 08:23 PM
Siren, WI
B
bwtrapper Offline
trapper
bwtrapper  Offline
trapper
B

Siren, WI
I think fetal alchol syndrome is a lot of it people don't want to admit. My ex was pregnant with our youngest while we were going through a divorce. She drank EVERY day. After we were divorced and I had full custody of my kids I knew something was different with him. When he started school they were convinced he was adhd. Spent many hours at Childrens Hospital in Minneapolis with no definite results. He has the facial features and ears associated with it. The school insisted it was adhd and wanted him medicated. We moved and things turned out fine.

Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: Wesley] #6795734
03/08/20 08:27 PM
03/08/20 08:27 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I dont know when all the alphabet stuff started,I think in the late 80's early 90's.When we were kids anyone that did not fit in,had abnormal behaviour and was disruptive was just called retarded,and were separated from other kids.Science has come a long way.

Last edited by Boco; 03/08/20 08:28 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: bwtrapper] #6795740
03/08/20 08:35 PM
03/08/20 08:35 PM
Southern Nevada
C
cat_trapper_nv Offline
"Cat Master"
cat_trapper_nv  Offline
"Cat Master"
C

Southern Nevada
Originally Posted by bwtrapper
I think fetal alchol syndrome is a lot of it people don't want to admit. My ex was pregnant with our youngest while we were going through a divorce. She drank EVERY day. After we were divorced and I had full custody of my kids I knew something was different with him. When he started school they were convinced he was adhd. Spent many hours at Childrens Hospital in Minneapolis with no definite results. He has the facial features and ears associated with it. The school insisted it was adhd and wanted him medicated. We moved and things turned out fine.

Um......there are no facial features of ADHD. Maybe you are thinking of something different.

If traps work like the Antis say......I would have no fingers.

Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: grisseldog] #6795747
03/08/20 08:42 PM
03/08/20 08:42 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Online sleepy
trapper
Wolfdog91  Online Sleepy
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by grisseldog

Honestly find it halarious everyone wants stuff to always be this simple, it's like in trapping when a coyote walks by a set everyone just wants to yell "scent control " and be done with it. Or when someone has depression people just yell "just be happy" not that simple sometimes sorry to bust the bubble

Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: AntiGov] #6795751
03/08/20 08:46 PM
03/08/20 08:46 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by AntiGov
Way over diagnossed im sure

Its big business

Easier to medicate than to redirect or disciplin

This pretty much sums it up.

Eh...wot?

Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: Lugnut] #6795762
03/08/20 09:01 PM
03/08/20 09:01 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I believe it is real and also it is on severity progression line. Like other behavior aspects such as b-polar syndrome, PTSD, depression etc. they too are on severity progressions. These may well have been present for generations but not diagnosed, or do modern day societies and cultures contribute to these behavioral issues? As to medication? There is far more legal depression and anxiety medication given to adults every day then to children and adults also have the means and ability to self-medicate with drugs, legal or illegal and alcohol etc. If our culture creates more cases of this type of behavior it would be wise to find non medication means to change or prevent the behavioral issues. If these are just diagnosed facts of life each individual will need to cope with the behaviors the best they can. Societies typically provide treatments and not ways to modify and change behavior from changing life styles.

Bryce

Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6795778
03/08/20 09:18 PM
03/08/20 09:18 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

ADD Attention Deficit Disorder somtmes with S syndrome the H would be hyperactive

there is no Deficit of attention , most ADD people my self and family included are actually Hyper attention , just not necessarily for what you wanted me to do.

our minds process huge amounts of data , sitting in a restaurant I am listing to the conversation at my table and 2-5 others depending how close they are the worst part is I want is badly to answer the questions at 3 of them but manners dictate I don't.

we can at times pay attention to many inputs while at others we have such total focus that we hear nothing other than what we are doing like welding a bead you hear nothing and see nothing other than what you are doing. what athletes would call in the Zone.

one DR I had said these are traits that would have made us Awesome hunters but don't fit into the school norms , yeah he was very right about that. think about all the thinks you see that other people don't when hunting and trapping you see the animal tracks a belly rub in fresh dew , how the grass is laid over , a rubbed spot on a fence , a few hairs stuck in a fence wire , the pattern of tracks going across the snow you know what made it from a hundred yards.

the H hyperactivity think of a good hunting dog , he has the energy to hunt all day and he is excited to do it , lives for the hunt using his senses and tracking the game. would you want a lathargic dog that wanted to sit around all day as a hunting dog. No

it is very much a Square peg in a Round hole issue say school is a 1 inch round hole and you are a 1 inch square peg you have 4 extra corners , the first corner Energy to go all day working and walking and hunting. second corner you are talking in a hundred inputs great if your hunting not so good if your supposed to be paying attention to the droning slow lesson being taught to the level of the slowest person in the room. you seeing suzy twirl her hair , Danny pick his nose , annie passing notes , Jimmy sleeping and every car that passes on the road out the window , the birds in the tree outside the window. apply other symptoms to the remaining corners.

the most common medication used to treat the symptoms to attempt to wound your corners is Methalphenidate yes i am sure i spelled that wrong aka Speed it makes normal people stay awake for 24 hours soccer moms steal their kids pills and have the energy to stay up all night cleaning he house , college students use it for long hours of cram sessions. but for an ADD ADHD person it makes them tired.
years later I realized why my middle school principal would ask me what he though my Riddalin would do to him if he took it. had to go to the office for an after lunch pill. I told him he would probably fall asleep on his desk not knowing that he was testing me , it made me tired it would have had him running the halls.

why none before 1980?

all of my mothers father and all brothers dropped out of high school all 6 of them none of them were dumb they all did fine in life most had successful businesses construction or mechanic but round hole square peg they didn't fit school they got by till they could get out.

before the 80s you did well enough to get by till you could drop out of school , but the push for standardized testing , and 100% graduation rates getting to drop out age at 16 wasn't an option you must now be 18 to drop out.

if you had a hard time concentrating on school work , just barley got by and then went on to do fine in life when you found work you could get into maybe farming , trapping , construction , mechanical anything hat interestes you and keeps your mind and body occupied you could have well be diagnosed as ADD/ADHD.

the reality is if the teachers could teach an ADD class where the info was really well organized and laid out and ran at a fast pace like a video learning lesson where it is really condensed and all right there the ADD kids could often have had the lesson in the first 5 minutes of class and done one of each type of example problem and been out to recess. but when lessons takes hundreds of wasted seconds of writing with squeaky chalk on a black board repetition of doing 12 of one type of problem it is all just places for the mind to get lost doing 12 other things but what the teach wants.

there is something to the mind getting used to taking data at a different pace the tv and internet and endless videos full of content that the mind gets used to proccessing faster but many class rooms are the same so more kids are diagnosed ADD or ADHD.

Excellent post! And you reminded me of the time we gave him Benadryl, lol. It makes me tired, it makes him twice as hyper!! Dye free Benadryl will put him out for the count.

And for all those that think a butt whooping for the child and parents are in order, just shows their ignorance. Sometimes it’s best to keep your mouth shut and let people think your ignorant rather than open your mouth and prove it. Until you experience it you know absolutely nothing about it.

Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: FairbanksLS] #6795782
03/08/20 09:22 PM
03/08/20 09:22 PM
South Central PA
oneoldboot Offline
trapper
oneoldboot  Offline
trapper

South Central PA
Originally Posted by gray dog
Most kids don't need regular spankings or drugs. They need parents who spend time with them whether it is work or play. Self centered parents have kids who develop behavioral problems.

Wow! That's something.

Some kids have behavior issues and it doesn't matter how much you love them, how much time you spend with them, or how much he you pray about it. Their brains are just wired different.

Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: Wesley] #6795793
03/08/20 09:29 PM
03/08/20 09:29 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
That's why I said most. It was recommended my oldest son be given Ritalin. My wife and I said no. Last we heard about it and he excelled as an older student. Still needs to keep.busy but that's not a bad thing.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: Wanna Be] #6795813
03/08/20 09:51 PM
03/08/20 09:51 PM
Central MN
MNCedar Offline
trapper
MNCedar  Offline
trapper

Central MN
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Didn’t read through all the post, figured it would tick me off.

Answer to your question, YES it is real. Before CJ came along I might have dismissed it as a few comments that I read stating it was bad parenting. Yes and no. As most remember we got CJ when he was 5 days old and adopted him two months before his 5th birthday. He was born with 8 different drugs in his body and suffers from Autism and ADHD. His little mind never shuts off. I mean from the time his eyes open in athe morning until he gets his “pill” at night, he is nonstop.

He’s not on meds per say, he gets a 5mg Melatonin pill to get him to sleep. We try not and give one on the weekends if we have no plans and he’ll finally give out about 0100-0200. When he was a toddler we KNEW something wasn’t right (other than the obvious drugs he was born with) and we sought counseling. We then learned about Autism and ADHD. He is by no means on the lower spectrum of learning, he’s the type that finishes work quickly and accurately and get bored. I don’t think he’s ever been still more than 2-3 minutes his entire life, and that includes sleeping.

He is getting better as are we. It’s not his fault, but it’s our responsibility to learn how to deal with a child like this. As he gets older he’s learning what’s acceptable and what’s not. His one fault if you want to call it that is he CANNOT lie! No matter what happens. If he gets a frown instead of a smiley face at school, I can ask what happened and he’ll tell me no matter what it was, lol. And some of his answers are hilarious and his teacher will confirm everything he said.

So, next time you see a child you think is a brat or has bad parents, just remember you DON’T know the entire story of that child’s life. Trust me, he is nothing like our previous sons, but I love him and his ADHD self all the same.

I’m editing to add that children like this are very structured in their routines. Break that routine and they “act out” to an extent. Nothing major, just more restless and irritated. We have to talk about things before hand then remind him prior to anything “not in his normal” schedule or thinking process. For instance every night when he takes his pill he asks “Where I go tomorrow?” If it’s a weekday we tell him school then momma if she’s not working. If she’s working it’s school and Ally’s (like his second momma). I went to pick him up early one day to take him fishing and he wouldn’t leave or didn’t want to leave because momma was supposed to pick him up. I didn’t press the issue and just waited until he got out and his momma picked him up.
So if you see a child “acting out” maybe his routine was changed and he’s just uncomfortable with the situation.

Excellent post and great point about routine. Thank you for sharing

Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6795816
03/08/20 09:57 PM
03/08/20 09:57 PM
Central MN
MNCedar Offline
trapper
MNCedar  Offline
trapper

Central MN
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

why none before 1980?

Great post. That principal was a smart man.

Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: FairbanksLS] #6795817
03/08/20 09:58 PM
03/08/20 09:58 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Originally Posted by gray dog
That's why I said most. It was recommended my oldest son be given Ritalin. My wife and I said no. Last we heard about it and he excelled as an older student. Still needs to keep.busy but that's not a bad thing.

Good on you for not buying the bs !

Report a post club - Non member

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread