No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: Wesley] #6795823
03/08/20 10:10 PM
03/08/20 10:10 PM
Oklahoma
W
Wesley Offline OP
trapper
Wesley  Offline OP
trapper
W

Oklahoma
Interesting replies....thanks guys!

Previously Bridger158, before the great "Time Out".

Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: MNCedar] #6795829
03/08/20 10:15 PM
03/08/20 10:15 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by MNCedar
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I and most of my family are ADD/ADDS / ADHD / ADHDS.

fist one must understand what this means.

ADD Attention Deficit Disorder somtmes with S syndrome the H would be hyperactive

it was very miss named 180* backwards

there is no Deficit of attention , most ADD people my self and family included are actually Hyper attention , just not necessarily for what you wanted me to do.

our minds process huge amounts of data , sitting in a restaurant I am listing to the conversation at my table and 2-5 others depending how close they are the worst part is I want is badly to answer the questions at 3 of them but manners dictate I don't.

we can at times pay attention to many inputs while at others we have such total focus that we hear nothing other than what we are doing like welding a bead you hear nothing and see nothing other than what you are doing. what athletes would call in the Zone.

one DR I had said these are traits that would have made us Awesome hunters but don't fit into the school norms , yeah he was very right about that. think about all the thinks you see that other people don't when hunting and trapping you see the animal tracks a belly rub in fresh dew , how the grass is laid over , a rubbed spot on a fence , a few hairs stuck in a fence wire , the pattern of tracks going across the snow you know what made it from a hundred yards.

the H hyperactivity think of a good hunting dog , he has the energy to hunt all day and he is excited to do it , lives for the hunt using his senses and tracking the game. would you want a lathargic dog that wanted to sit around all day as a hunting dog. No

it is very much a Square peg in a Round hole issue say school is a 1 inch round hole and you are a 1 inch square peg you have 4 extra corners , the first corner Energy to go all day working and walking and hunting. second corner you are talking in a hundred inputs great if your hunting not so good if your supposed to be paying attention to the droning slow lesson being taught to the level of the slowest person in the room. you seeing suzy twirl her hair , Danny pick his nose , annie passing notes , Jimmy sleeping and every car that passes on the road out the window , the birds in the tree outside the window. apply other symptoms to the remaining corners.

the most common medication used to treat the symptoms to attempt to wound your corners is Methalphenidate yes i am sure i spelled that wrong aka Speed it makes normal people stay awake for 24 hours soccer moms steal their kids pills and have the energy to stay up all night cleaning he house , college students use it for long hours of cram sessions. but for an ADD ADHD person it makes them tired.
years later I realized why my middle school principal would ask me what he though my Riddalin would do to him if he took it. had to go to the office for an after lunch pill. I told him he would probably fall asleep on his desk not knowing that he was testing me , it made me tired it would have had him running the halls.

why none before 1980?

all of my mothers father and all brothers dropped out of high school all 6 of them none of them were dumb they all did fine in life most had successful businesses construction or mechanic but round hole square peg they didn't fit school they got by till they could get out.

I was diagnosed in the early 80s.

yes there is a lot of miss understanding about ADD / ADHD

before the 80s you did well enough to get by till you could drop out of school , but the push for standardized testing , and 100% graduation rates getting to drop out age at 16 wasn't an option you must now be 18 to drop out.

if you had a hard time concentrating on school work , just barley got by and then went on to do fine in life when you found work you could get into maybe farming , trapping , construction , mechanical anything hat interestes you and keeps your mind and body occupied you could have well be diagnosed as ADD/ADHD.

the reality is if the teachers could teach an ADD class where the info was really well organized and laid out and ran at a fast pace like a video learning lesson where it is really condensed and all right there the ADD kids could often have had the lesson in the first 5 minutes of class and done one of each type of example problem and been out to recess. but when lessons takes hundreds of wasted seconds of writing with squeaky chalk on a black board repetition of doing 12 of one type of problem it is all just places for the mind to get lost doing 12 other things but what the teach wants.

there is something to the mind getting used to taking data at a different pace the tv and internet and endless videos full of content that the mind gets used to proccessing faster but many class rooms are the same so more kids are diagnosed ADD or ADHD.

Great post. That principal was a smart man.

yes he was , I didn't see it at the time , I had 2 good pricipals in grade and middle school , but you better believe I spent my share of time it their offices also for a while it was almost daily I think that was right about the time my parents took me to a DR and shrink.
the school didn't know what to do with me they put me through all the tests for special ed , a series of puzzles and tasks to see if I was "slow" nope quite the opposite in a room by my self with a puzzle to figure out I was in my element Diagnosis of an issue and resolution was always strong.
I was on Riddalin 4th grade till the end of 8th grade and did ok my freshman year in high school and very well after that when I could pick my classes more

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 03/08/20 10:35 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: Wesley] #6795877
03/08/20 11:23 PM
03/08/20 11:23 PM
mo.
N
nate Offline
trapper
nate  Offline
trapper
N

mo.
A study done where they sent 100 normal people to different phychitrsts they all came out with prescriptions. This is crazy all the people that think they have mental illness.

Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: Wesley] #6795882
03/08/20 11:29 PM
03/08/20 11:29 PM
mo.
N
nate Offline
trapper
nate  Offline
trapper
N

mo.
2 4 D and round up?

Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: Wesley] #6795922
03/09/20 12:36 AM
03/09/20 12:36 AM
Deer lodge, MT
D
Dean Chapel Offline
trapper
Dean Chapel  Offline
trapper
D

Deer lodge, MT
I work in the medical field, where we refer to ADD as All Different Daddies. This is just an estimate, but I would say that 95% of all kids I have seen with ADD or ADHD are being raised by single mothers, ie not an intact family. When I get a new kid in the clinic that has a previous diagnosis of one of these conditions, I ask "how many hours a day do you play video games?" and without exception they are playing video games for hours daily. Cause or effect?? Those are the two common denominators that are rarely deviated from. Today they would likely tell me I had ADD as a kid. Proper parenting can teach you not only to manage it, but to point it in the right direction to use it for your good. Thank God I only had PONG to play as a kid, or perhaps I'd be incorrigible. I won't let my kids within 100 yards of a video game.

Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: Wesley] #6795936
03/09/20 02:57 AM
03/09/20 02:57 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I work in the medical field, where we refer to ADD as All Different Daddies. This is just an estimate, but I would say that 95% of all kids I have seen with ADD or ADHD are being raised by single mothers, ie not an intact family. When I get a new kid in the clinic that has a previous diagnosis of one of these conditions, I ask "how many hours a day do you play video games?" and without exception they are playing video games for hours daily. Cause or effect?? Those are the two common denominators that are rarely deviated from. Today they would likely tell me I had ADD as a kid. Proper parenting can teach you not only to manage it, but to point it in the right direction to use it for your good. Thank God I only had PONG to play as a kid, or perhaps I'd be incorrigible. I won't let my kids within 100 yards of a video game.

yep. wasnt a big deal when kids didnt have 300 tv stations or video games. kids were outside when not in school.

When I was driving OTR in the 80's and a bad snow came in, it took more concentration to drive in town than on the highway. Schools would close and there kids of all ages out playing in the snow everywhere. Older kids dragging their friends behind a pickup on a car hood or whatever, kids playimg with sleds, kids throwing snowballs at cars etc. Kids everywhere.

Today in a snowstorm streets are empty of kids. no kids anywhere.

I dont believe drugging kids is a good idea. if two hours of kill the man with the ball doesnt make that kid want to rest for a bit, then maybe a pill is needed. been a while though since i saw a dozen neighbor kids playing with a football.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: danny clifton] #6795989
03/09/20 07:19 AM
03/09/20 07:19 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Originally Posted by danny clifton

yep. wasnt a big deal when kids didnt have 300 tv stations or video games. kids were outside when not in school.

When I was driving OTR in the 80's and a bad snow came in, it took more concentration to drive in town than on the highway. Schools would close and there kids of all ages out playing in the snow everywhere. Older kids dragging their friends behind a pickup on a car hood or whatever, kids playimg with sleds, kids throwing snowballs at cars etc. Kids everywhere.

Today in a snowstorm streets are empty of kids. no kids anywhere.

I dont believe drugging kids is a good idea. if two hours of kill the man with the ball doesnt make that kid want to rest for a bit, then maybe a pill is needed. been a while though since i saw a dozen neighbor kids playing with a football.

Danny you know my boy..he was no squirrel just not focused..We had to be sure he didn't lock up in front of the TV he loved it..still does.
One of the things we made sure of was that he did not play lot of computer games..When he did it was games that helped him focus not just jumped screen to screen..ADD in kids like any other sickness or illness is not a one size fits all thing..One of my son's friends from early school days was also considered ADDHD..His mother was one tried to shelter him dope him, His dad was a yard supervisor for large construction company. He took that boy to the company yard on weekends and put him to work cleaning tools and putting them back in their proper job boxes.. Simple jobs could complete do right move to next thing..When he got little older he was cleaning different pieces of machinery and learning how they worked and drove them..He also had a job with a neighbor with a yard service so mowed grass after school..pushed a mower many miles almost at a run..
This kid was one when you talked to him you kinda worried where he would be later in life.. Well all that work he did in high school got him threw high school and yes he was medicated some too.. He went to tec school and now is a very good welder with good paying job can run bead by hand or program a robot to do it. All that work with his day means he can run a ton of different type lift trucks and backhoes..If you had seen that kid squirrel he was at 10-12 years old when I took him hunting with us. You'd have never thought he'd be able to buy himself a bicycle later in life..Now he rides a new Harley..
So do I think kids sitting in front of TV is the cause of ADD No..I think it's genetics like many other things, It certainly can exasperated by the environment a kid lives in. Like treatment for cancer treatment needs to be tailored to the kid. Sitting them in front of the TV for baby sitter works because the screen flickers and changes.. For sure is no lesson or treatment in that just an attention holder. That part is indeed a parenting problem..

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Is ADHD imaginary? [Re: Wesley] #6796521
03/09/20 06:00 PM
03/09/20 06:00 PM
Wisconsin
D
DadN3Boyz Offline
trapper
DadN3Boyz  Offline
trapper
D

Wisconsin
I have 3 boys. My oldest, Jack would have issues in grade school. He would lose focus, or get over stimulated by his surroundings. He would hide under desks, or run off the play ground and find a tree to climb, just to calm things down. This was happening in 3rd grade. My wife is a pharmacist and one of the smartest people I know. She said, "I think Jack has ADHD". I said no way, he is just a boy being a boy. Well, things came to a head when Jack was sent to the principals office and basically pushed everything off the desk. When I got there he was hiding under the desk.

Went to some doctor that said he has ADHD and put him on Aderall. Now, I'm all for spankings and discipline. That wasn't helping Jack. The Aderall did. I'm no doctor but what I was told is that Jack immediately acts on his emotions without thought. The Aderal will offer him those seconds to think before acting. It did help. It got him through grade school but the side effects were not good. He wouldn't grow and had some of the worst constipation you could ever think of. Think small kid and softball. He would be scared to use the restroom. I don't blame him once I saw the outcome.

Come High School, we took him off the meds. He was the smallest kid in his class. We felt that not having the side effects out weighed the focus. He was loved by all his teachers. Funny outgoing kid, but his grades suffered. Come Senior year, we get a call from his Math teacher saying she is giving Jack a grace grade so he doesn't fail math, which would cause him to fail his Senior year.

Jack is 23 now and 5'8". You would never guess the problems he had as a kid. He found a love and focus of a bright light behind a helmet and today is a full time welder. His goal is to do underwater welding.

I know ADHD is over diagnosed. Bad parenting? Bad habits? No disicpline? Well, none of that was with Jack. He has a problem. We are honest with him on what he has and what he needs to do about it. Age, maturity, and understanding his condition in the end is what really worked, but until then there is a time and place for medication.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread