Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Who wants to go Musk Ox hunting. #6797863
03/10/20 11:06 PM
03/10/20 11:06 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline OP
trapper
martentrapper  Offline OP
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Hung out at BoG meeting some today. Gonna be a new draw hunt for Musk Ox. The Sew. Pen. population has expanded east into units 21D and 24D. More or less, there are Ox in the Nulato Hills from the Iditarod trail between Kaltag/Unk. going north to where the hills end between the Tag and Koyukuk rivers. Only 5 bulls allowed, 500 bucks if you draw. Residents only. The 500 bucks will keep most locals out so it's up to non locals. Access will be difficult. May be a transporter or 2 available. Guides operate in the area but I think it will take time to qualify to guide for Ox.
Have to see if anyone advertises services for this. Next Dec. will be the application period. Not totally sure what the season will be.
Good luck if you apply.
mt

Re: Who wants to go Musk Ox hunting. [Re: martentrapper] #6797915
03/11/20 12:36 AM
03/11/20 12:36 AM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
A musk ox hunt is one of my bucket list hunts if I were a resident I'd be all over that I'd bet it's a tough hunt but rewarding if your successful in getting drawn then shooting one .
I'm sure the tanned hide would roast you out unless it was well below zero .

Re: Who wants to go Musk Ox hunting. [Re: martentrapper] #6798193
03/11/20 10:27 AM
03/11/20 10:27 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
I have drawn tags for and shot musk ox in GMU 26C (1989) from Kaktovik and out of Mekoryuk on Nunivak more lately. I'm pretty well recovered now from those adventures...... you won't have to worry about any competition for those tags from me!

On the Kaktovik hunt I learned that walking 18 miles at night back to the village in a ground blizzard (after blowing a jug on the machine) will put some interesting patterns of frozen skin on one's face!

I was uglier than usual for several weeks after that adventure!

Pete

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman