No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? #6806830
03/18/20 09:25 AM
03/18/20 09:25 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline OP
trapper
KeithC  Offline OP
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Since the Coronavirus adversely effects such a tiny percentage of the population, mostly those over seventy and people with compromised immune systems, would it not make more sense to isolate and quarantine the at risk Americans, rather than younger, healthy, unlikely to be effected, working Americans?

People over 65 make up about 15% of the population. They mostly live in institutions, with other elderly people, or in households with no younger members. Most no longer work. Older people, living with younger people, could be temporarily kept together in nursing homes, until it was safe. They would be easy to quarantine and their quarantine would much less significantly effect our economy.

People with weak immune systems make up less than 3% of the US population and most are elderly too. It is much easier and less disruptive to quarantine a small number of people.

It seems to me everything would be better for more Americans, including our economy, if the lives of healthy Americans were not disrupted. If young, healthy Americans got sick as exposed and quickly got better on their own, allowing the disease to run it's course, while at risk Americans self quarantined, with careful food and life assistance from the healthy, more Americans would stay in better shape financially.

Keith

Re: A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? [Re: KeithC] #6806840
03/18/20 09:36 AM
03/18/20 09:36 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Sounds good to me. Forbidding people to peaceably assemble when they aren't sick, and have an extremely low risk of getting sick, and have a very low chance of dying or needing hospital care in the rare chance they do get sick, seems obviously unconstitutional, besides being patently stupid. It's nuts.

Last edited by loosegoose; 03/18/20 09:36 AM.
Re: A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? [Re: KeithC] #6806845
03/18/20 09:39 AM
03/18/20 09:39 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
maybe in ohio , but in WI 60 and up are very much a part of every day life and do not live in institutions . my parents are out and about more than I am.

for those in institutions who will the care givers be to not bring it in they are people with families and kids who would be in school.

the issue is you don't know your carrying it till days after you are contagious

if your looking for a conspiracy theory that fits , the president , everyone left running for president , most of congress , many governors , state assemblies and mayors are in this high risk 60+ category and they don't want to die.

you gave the numbers your self 15% are over 65 and 3% are immune deficient 18% of the population that is 1 in 5.5 people when your trying to hide 1 in 5.5 people while the virus infects tens of millions good luck.

also you still loose a healthy person for a minimum 14 days

what are the costs to having a significant portion of your country very sick vs the costs of having a quarantine

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? [Re: KeithC] #6806853
03/18/20 09:48 AM
03/18/20 09:48 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
As mentioned, sometimes the older folks travel a lot more than I do. Under normal circumstances of course. Older people tend to have money to travel when they want. Please don't take what I said the wrong way.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? [Re: KeithC] #6806871
03/18/20 10:03 AM
03/18/20 10:03 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Listening to the news this morning, a similar thought occurred to me. Once the smoke clears, there is going to be a lot of second guessing going on. All with the benefit of hindsight, which is always 20:20.

But if you were in the public policy business......a politician.......based on what folks are telling you is going to happen, would you make the choice to do what they are doing and tank the economy........or make the other choice, which is to simply warn folks to scatter and lay low or else, and let them take their chances, knowing that as many as 3 to 5 million Americans are likely to die. The old, sick and infirm, plus a few others.....and maybe even you. That way, all the hoarding and all the other nonsense goes away and life goes on.......albeit with a lot fewer folks. Many of which may not make it anyway, but almost certainly won't when there are 10 sick people for every space available to treat them.

And BTW, you gotta make that choice now.......not sometime down the road when more is known.

The choice offered here.......sequester those most likely to be affected and let the rest go about their business.......might well prove to have been the best option of them all.....but even that is tainted, as they are already getting empirical data to make choices from that they didn't have as recently as a week or two ago.

Last edited by HayDay; 03/18/20 10:10 AM.
Re: A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6806880
03/18/20 10:13 AM
03/18/20 10:13 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline OP
trapper
KeithC  Offline OP
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
maybe in ohio , but in WI 60 and up are very much a part of every day life and do not live in institutions . my parents are out and about more than I am.

for those in institutions who will the care givers be to not bring it in they are people with families and kids who would be in school.

the issue is you don't know your carrying it till days after you are contagious

if your looking for a conspiracy theory that fits , the president , everyone left running for president , most of congress , many governors , state assemblies and mayors are in this high risk 60+ category and they don't want to die.

you gave the numbers your self 15% are over 65 and 3% are immune deficient 18% of the population that is 1 in 5.5 people when your trying to hide 1 in 5.5 people while the virus infects tens of millions good luck.

also you still loose a healthy person for a minimum 14 days

what are the costs to having a significant portion of your country very sick vs the costs of having a quarantine

Most people over 65 in the entire US, either live in an institution, on their own, or with a spouse, with no younger household members. It is considerably easier and cheaper to quarrantine and financially support, if needed, 15% of the population, who mostly does not work, than everyone.

People don't have to hide, just stay home or in temporary safe homes.

My idea is still disruptive and expensive. It is less so than the current mess.

Keith

Re: A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? [Re: KeithC] #6806922
03/18/20 10:59 AM
03/18/20 10:59 AM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
You like having fuel for your truck, car, home? A disproportionate number of hazmat tankers are driven by men over sixty. I see a lot of grey hair and beards while I am at the racks loading, easily forty-fifty % are over 60. I’m 66. They don’t let driving school trainees haul gasoline for obvious reasons. We are constantly swamped with work and if the OP’s plan was implemented there would be a lot of gas stations with bags over the pump nozzles.
There are a lot of unintended consequences to any plan of action. Things that most of us wouldn’t think of until that O-S moment slaps us upside our head. Take out 40% of the drivers then have an additional 50-60% get sick
because of our increased exposure, say truckstops, then those bags start covering nozzles on the diesel pumps
and then it’s food and medicine that ain’t getting delivered. Can you say FUBAR? I’ll take my chances with the experts plan. Y’all have a nice day.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? [Re: KeithC] #6807075
03/18/20 01:11 PM
03/18/20 01:11 PM
revillo, sd
C
cohunt Offline
trapper
cohunt  Offline
trapper
C

revillo, sd
You have no idea what proportion of medical folks are over 60 or even 65, especially in research. If everyone younger was to freely associate there would be waves of infected people who needed medical assistance and although few might die from the disease they would overwhelm a system that already is often stretched thin. Then begin removing older medics who become infected, some fatally and the system would break. This may all happen even with the restrictions of movement currently suggested but the consensus of the best minds of our highly educated and experienced pros inside and outside of government offers our best opportunity to weather the virus. In Italy and now apparently in Spain as well, the medical systems were/are being overwhelmed by virus laden ill folks, to the degree that in some cases the most infirm(read OLD) are not being given the best treatments because there are just too many and the care is reserved for those who have better chances of survival. Then what happens to those who have lifes usual maladies, to the cancer patients, the folks who have strokes, heart attacks, appendix ruptures, severe infections etc, are they just left to fend for themselves or die at home unattended? That is surely what the medical profession is attempting to deal with and our government is attempting to do all it can to assist. People who insist that they will do as they wish whenever and wherever they wish are or will be additional problems for both medics and governing bodies.

Re: A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? [Re: KeithC] #6807088
03/18/20 01:19 PM
03/18/20 01:19 PM
Central Pennsylvania
Nittany Lion Offline
Don't call me Mister, Mister
Nittany Lion  Offline
Don't call me Mister, Mister

Central Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by KeithC
Since the Coronavirus adversely effects such a tiny percentage of the population, mostly those over seventy and people with compromised immune systems, would it not make more sense to isolate and quarantine the at risk Americans, rather than younger, healthy, unlikely to be effected, working Americans?

People over 65 make up about 15% of the population. They mostly live in institutions, with other elderly people, or in households with no younger members. Most no longer work. Older people, living with younger people, could be temporarily kept together in nursing homes, until it was safe. They would be easy to quarantine and their quarantine would much less significantly effect our economy.

People with weak immune systems make up less than 3% of the US population and most are elderly too. It is much easier and less disruptive to quarantine a small number of people.

It seems to me everything would be better for more Americans, including our economy, if the lives of healthy Americans were not disrupted. If young, healthy Americans got sick as exposed and quickly got better on their own, allowing the disease to run it's course, while at risk Americans self quarantined, with careful food and life assistance from the healthy, more Americans would stay in better shape financially.

Keith

Since you have all the answers why don't you run for president.

I got myself a seniors' GPS.
Not only does it tell me how to get to my destination,
it tells me why I wanted to go there.
Re: A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? [Re: KeithC] #6807099
03/18/20 01:28 PM
03/18/20 01:28 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
[quote=KeithC]Since the Coronavirus adversely effects such a tiny percentage of the population, mostly those over seventy and people with compromised immune systems, would it not make more sense to isolate and quarantine the at risk Americans, rather than younger, healthy, unlikely to be effected, working Americans?

Keith[/quote
Really, what you are saying is just plain common sense. I couldn't agree more. Surprised the "experts" haven't thought of it.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? [Re: KeithC] #6807112
03/18/20 01:35 PM
03/18/20 01:35 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Looks like the most vulnerable's 401ks are hemorrhaging again today.

Who is John Galt?
Re: A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? [Re: cmcf] #6807140
03/18/20 02:04 PM
03/18/20 02:04 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by cmcf
You like having fuel for your truck, car, home? A disproportionate number of hazmat tankers are driven by men over sixty. I see a lot of grey hair and beards while I am at the racks loading, easily forty-fifty % are over 60. I’m 66. They don’t let driving school trainees haul gasoline for obvious reasons. We are constantly swamped with work and if the OP’s plan was implemented there would be a lot of gas stations with bags over the pump nozzles.
There are a lot of unintended consequences to any plan of action. Things that most of us wouldn’t think of until that O-S moment slaps us upside our head. Take out 40% of the drivers then have an additional 50-60% get sick
because of our increased exposure, say truckstops, then those bags start covering nozzles on the diesel pumps
and then it’s food and medicine that ain’t getting delivered. Can you say FUBAR? I’ll take my chances with the experts plan. Y’all have a nice day.

my wife dispatches LP and refined fuels and you are correct they have 1 younger driver all the rest are late 50s and many in their 60s

you also know that they have tried hiring guys in their 30s and 40s and they do not work out very often one heating season and they find another job , it is a demanding job with a lot of 12 hour + days all winter delivering LP even though they should be off the road at 12 hours every time there is a cold snap the governor relaxes the rules so that there isn't a max number of hours you can drive that bomb down the road.

rules for driver safety should not get relaxed , there should be greater incentive for the companies to keep enough drivers and trucks around but finding hazmat driver now for LP and fuel delivery is hard. an incentive to train new drivers.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? [Re: KeithC] #6807157
03/18/20 02:18 PM
03/18/20 02:18 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Greencountrypete, the only way to get experience is years under a steering wheel. its called hazardous material for reason. the test is difficult. less than half pass on the first try. many never do. its not about training new drivers at all. its about attracting old hands. guys that can work anywhere they want and already have a job they like.

so if a company does find more drivers that are qualified and want to take the job, what do they do with them in the summer?. you think truckers are the only guys working long hours time to time?

do some checking and find out how many car semi accidents are the fault of the trucker. yes there are some genuine boneheads driving trucks, but very very few of them haul fuel.

Last edited by danny clifton; 03/18/20 02:20 PM.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? [Re: danny clifton] #6807203
03/18/20 02:51 PM
03/18/20 02:51 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Greencountrypete, the only way to get experience is years under a steering wheel. its called hazardous material for reason. the test is difficult. less than half pass on the first try. many never do. its not about training new drivers at all. its about attracting old hands. guys that can work anywhere they want and already have a job they like.

so if a company does find more drivers that are qualified and want to take the job, what do they do with them in the summer?. you think truckers are the guys working long hours time to time?

do some checking and find out how many car semi accidents are the fault of the trucker. yes there are some genuine boneheads driving trucks, but very very few of them haul fuel.

I agree that 99% of all CDL vs 4wheeler accidents are the 4wheeler's fault . but if they set a standard they should not relax that standard when ever it is convenient for the the regulator it is either a safety standard or it is a joke.

if you aren't ready to be a real driver , carpenter , plumber , electrician or anything else by 30 then your a useless lump that should be put out. we don't NEED 65 year olds driving because they are the only ones who can drive we have it because it seems they are the majority of the ones who remember how to work hard.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 03/18/20 02:52 PM.

Re: A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? [Re: KeithC] #6807207
03/18/20 03:00 PM
03/18/20 03:00 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Why doesnt the gubmint supply everyone with a bubble to wear?

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? [Re: Boco] #6807234
03/18/20 03:20 PM
03/18/20 03:20 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by Boco
Why doesnt the gubmint supply everyone with a bubble to wear?

They are going to start shipping these out next week. Social distancing doughnuts for safe shopping experiences and also to prevent Canadians from getting to close throughout the year. grin
[Linked Image]

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? [Re: KeithC] #6807239
03/18/20 03:23 PM
03/18/20 03:23 PM
Ohio
S
stinkypete Offline
trapper
stinkypete  Offline
trapper
S

Ohio
Well fellas. This is the way it works. All senior assisted livings. Nursing homes are on lock down. My communities are one of them. In elderly or compromised health you are to quarantine. The problem is you need supplies basic needs to live. The virus can live on healthy people and not effect them. But a healthy individual can be a carrier. That is the problem It is odorless tasteless and it is invisible. By the time the symptoms do appear it is to late. One individual can spread it to 35 and so and so on. This is why stopping all non essential community gatherings is so important. Bottom line. Think of others. Help out. This will be over. And life goes on.

Re: A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? [Re: stinkypete] #6807257
03/18/20 03:40 PM
03/18/20 03:40 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by stinkypete
Well fellas. This is the way it works. All senior assisted livings. Nursing homes are on lock down. My communities are one of them. In elderly or compromised health you are to quarantine. The problem is you need supplies basic needs to live. The virus can live on healthy people and not effect them. But a healthy individual can be a carrier. That is the problem It is odorless tasteless and it is invisible. By the time the symptoms do appear it is to late. One individual can spread it to 35 and so and so on. This is why stopping all non essential community gatherings is so important. Bottom line. Think of others. Help out. This will be over. And life goes on.

Very well said Pete!

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? [Re: KeithC] #6807393
03/18/20 05:22 PM
03/18/20 05:22 PM
Ohio
S
stinkypete Offline
trapper
stinkypete  Offline
trapper
S

Ohio
Thank you. Like all of you. I have had it up to my eye balls with this. But that being said we have to protect others. We as trappers are great people. We just have to get main stream people to do what needs to be done.

Re: A better way to handle the Coronavirus Crisis? [Re: Catch22] #6807405
03/18/20 05:32 PM
03/18/20 05:32 PM
Texas Hill Country
C
Cedar Hacker Offline
trapper
Cedar Hacker  Offline
trapper
C

Texas Hill Country
I am one of those people you are talking about and I might just look at it differently.

I drove over yesterday afternoon and picked up my 90 year old neighbor and then went 40 miles in to town and got our 95 year old friend. We then went to one of the watering holes, ate prime rib with cabbage ( no corned beef here ), drank some iced green tea, paid a $5 cover charge for the band and made a few rounds on the dance floor with the " lasses ". Had a good time on St. Pat's Day and came home.

I was a little tired as I had gone up to Guthrie, Oklahoma over the weekend for the Rodeo Timed Event Championship at the Lazy E Arena. They did not cancel the event but had sanitized the facilities with a 10% bleach solution three times. There was only about 3 or 4 thousand people there Saturday night. I feel fine today.

I am in mid 70's, have heart disease, artery disease, arthritis, and diabetes. I work with my horses on a daily basis and trap predators as the need arises.

But if you try to quarantine me or take my guns, you better bring yours.

Sit on your horse on top of a ridge, look out across the country and tell me there is no God.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread