No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
AR 15 in Stock NOW #6815586
03/24/20 01:34 PM
03/24/20 01:34 PM
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
trapper234 Offline OP
trapper
trapper234  Offline OP
trapper

Life Member WTA
Life Member NRA
Member NTA

Re: AR 15 in Stock NOW [Re: trapper234] #6816148
03/24/20 09:19 PM
03/24/20 09:19 PM
trapper234 Offline OP
trapper
trapper234  Offline OP
trapper

Guys...Is this a good gun and a good deal? What do you think? Thanks

Life Member WTA
Life Member NRA
Member NTA

Re: AR 15 in Stock NOW [Re: trapper234] #6816158
03/24/20 09:26 PM
03/24/20 09:26 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Im far from an ar expert , but im not sure you can get a better one for less money . I thought about going down to our local sportsmans after you posted it , but there have been long lines and a run on guns and ammo down there

Report a post club - Non member

Re: AR 15 in Stock NOW [Re: trapper234] #6816164
03/24/20 09:32 PM
03/24/20 09:32 PM

W
Wylee
Unregistered
Wylee
Unregistered
W

I’m no expert either but I like mine so far... I got the mpr version for the same price. I like the floating fore end and the mlock. I talked to a couple local shops about building a custom piece and was told to just buy the shelf model at 549$...mine also came with a 30 round mag.

Re: AR 15 in Stock NOW [Re: trapper234] #6816186
03/24/20 09:51 PM
03/24/20 09:51 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
I want an AR14!

Re: AR 15 in Stock NOW [Re: trapper234] #6816196
03/24/20 10:02 PM
03/24/20 10:02 PM
Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
T
turkn8rtrapper Offline
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Offline
trapper
T

Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
It’s a fair deal meaning not a bad deal for a complete gun. I thought I saw 1-8 twist in the barrel that’s good for most bullets from 55 grain and heavier. I would also look at those $39 stripped lowers.

"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Re: AR 15 in Stock NOW [Re: trapper234] #6816202
03/24/20 10:06 PM
03/24/20 10:06 PM
PA
F
fieldsy Offline
trapper
fieldsy  Offline
trapper
F

PA
my boy has that exact gun, my only complaint is the trigger..... I like everything else about it... he of course loves it, but what does he know.... LOL

Re: AR 15 in Stock NOW [Re: trapper234] #6816227
03/24/20 10:20 PM
03/24/20 10:20 PM
trapper234 Offline OP
trapper
trapper234  Offline OP
trapper

I went and ordered one before they run out. Thanks guys!

Last edited by trapper234; 03/24/20 10:38 PM.

Life Member WTA
Life Member NRA
Member NTA

Re: AR 15 in Stock NOW [Re: trapper234] #6816245
03/24/20 10:37 PM
03/24/20 10:37 PM
Southern Nevada
C
cat_trapper_nv Offline
"Cat Master"
cat_trapper_nv  Offline
"Cat Master"
C

Southern Nevada
You can build your own for cheaper and it will be nicer. Don’t even have to know how to build one anymore. You can get preassembled uppers and lowers.
Upper:
https://bkingsfirearms.com/shop/com...150-barrel-w-15-5-slim-ffssr-m-lok-rail/
Lower:
https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/product/complete-lw-4-lower-milspec-stock/

Then just browse for a website that has a sale on the BCG(you can find them for $65 if you shop around or $100 if your lazy) and get a $15 charging handle.

It will range from $425 to $475. If you know how to fully assemble one, you can get them for even cheaper. I’ve built them as low as $350 with a free floating handrail and everything. Plus you can upgrade the things you want when at the beginning. I’ve never understood why someone buys a $600 stock AR with the intent to upgrade it when you can buy it upgraded from the beginning for less if you build it yourself.

If traps work like the Antis say......I would have no fingers.

Re: AR 15 in Stock NOW [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6816252
03/24/20 10:44 PM
03/24/20 10:44 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Originally Posted by cat_trapper_nv
I’ve never understood why someone buys a $600 stock AR with the intent to upgrade it when you can buy it upgraded from the beginning for less if you build it yourself.

Ignorance

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: AR 15 in Stock NOW [Re: trapper234] #6816263
03/24/20 11:01 PM
03/24/20 11:01 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
the Ruger AR556 is a quality product and Ruger is a very reputable company who stand behind their product.

that is also a decent price.

it isn't huge on features but should shoot reliably and be a serviceable tool for many years

had you asked my a month ago, you could have built the same features for a hundred less but if you don't know anything about ARs this is a good place to start.

now building would be about 530 maybe 550 with some shipping so you could still build for less keep in mind these will require a transfer that will likely run 25 to 35 dollars in addition to the 550.

but for a very functional basic quality AR yes it is a reasonable price and quality product.

you will need an optic or set of sights that will add more cost

pick up more of the Magpul Gen3 30rd Pmags , load them to 28 and go shoot. down loading all mags in AR by 1-2 rounds aids in first round feeding and allows a tactical reload meaning putting a new mag in while bolt carrier group is close
https://palmettostatearmory.com/magpul-pmag30-gen-m3-magazine-mag557.html

if you prefer the traditional magazines these also work well https://palmettostatearmory.com/d-h-5-56-30rd-aluminum-magazine-8416.html again down load 1-2 rounds from max capacity.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 03/24/20 11:02 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: AR 15 in Stock NOW [Re: trapper234] #6816279
03/24/20 11:29 PM
03/24/20 11:29 PM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Please explain the urge to buy right now. These other guys know AR’s way more than i do. I have a buddy like them who builds decent ones under $500. This isnt Sandy Hook, no ones threatening to take them away. If anything, from what ive been reading, the liberals have been pro gun through all of this. This whole deal will not turn into people kicking in doors to steal your tp if thats what youre worried about.

Re: AR 15 in Stock NOW [Re: DWC] #6816314
03/25/20 12:08 AM
03/25/20 12:08 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by DWC
Please explain the urge to buy right now. These other guys know AR’s way more than i do. I have a buddy like them who builds decent ones under $500. This isnt Sandy Hook, no ones threatening to take them away. If anything, from what ive been reading, the liberals have been pro gun through all of this. This whole deal will not turn into people kicking in doors to steal your tp if thats what youre worried about.

why buy now?

personally I am not but then every member of the family is fairly well set at this time. Also my wife's job is ending and financial uncertainty tells me watch un-necessary spending carefully times could get tight.

so why

we were going to see an increase in sales anyway heading into November
the Virus uncertainty sped that up.

as others have said 40% or so are new gun owners crisis got them off the fence.

some are already gun owners but probably have a limited number of guns maybe they have a hunting rifle or a shotgun or both but it was time for a pistol something more portable.

this isn't sandy hook it isn't just Ar's selling it is a Lot of what would be considered home defense type shotguns and a lot of pistols , yes some are AR's

there are some that this was a push over the edge for them to buy an AR, or a handgun or any gun at all

there are also some that just are always looking to buy a new gun.

as well as some who see many days off of work and were looking for a new project to get ready for deer season or plan to take up coyote calling more seriously while off work.

when the lead candidate teams up with MR, heck yes were coming for your Ar-15s and your AK-47s and then tries to deny it when a union guy asks him how he expects to win the union vote if he wants to take their guns away.

so a hot bed of both political purchasing and pandemic purchasing .

when you see the possibility that there won't be any on the shelves it is easy to say well it's now or never. it is a catchy thing.

your probably right that this will not come to doors getting kicked in for your food stores. but it is a reality that crime does happen it will be interesting to see how crime numbers played out during this when we look back next year
he it could be like right after 9/11 where crime was very low for a few weeks.

I bet DUI is hitting all new lows with all the bars closed.

time will tell what it will be.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: AR 15 in Stock NOW [Re: trapper234] #6816335
03/25/20 12:58 AM
03/25/20 12:58 AM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
My point is, like others who build them stated, is dont panic buy a mass produced AR, build one or find someone to build one for you with good parts that you might be happier with for the same or less money. I think everything will still be available soon. If you do believe sh*ts gonna hit the fan then get one, 550 seems like a fair price for a company like Ruger. I just think this deal is not gonna hurt the gun rights. It feels like a completely different panic buying than reactions to the mass shootings.

Re: AR 15 in Stock NOW [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6816336
03/25/20 12:59 AM
03/25/20 12:59 AM
trapper234 Offline OP
trapper
trapper234  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by DWC

why buy now?

personally I am not but then every member of the family is fairly well set at this time. Also my wife's job is ending and financial uncertainty tells me watch un-necessary spending carefully times could get tight.

so why

we were going to see an increase in sales anyway heading into November
the Virus uncertainty sped that up.

as others have said 40% or so are new gun owners crisis got them off the fence.

some are already gun owners but probably have a limited number of guns maybe they have a hunting rifle or a shotgun or both but it was time for a pistol something more portable.

this isn't sandy hook it isn't just Ar's selling it is a Lot of what would be considered home defense type shotguns and a lot of pistols , yes some are AR's

there are some that this was a push over the edge for them to buy an AR, or a handgun or any gun at all

there are also some that just are always looking to buy a new gun.

as well as some who see many days off of work and were looking for a new project to get ready for deer season or plan to take up coyote calling more seriously while off work.

when the lead candidate teams up with MR, heck yes were coming for your Ar-15s and your AK-47s and then tries to deny it when a union guy asks him how he expects to win the union vote if he wants to take their guns away.

so a hot bed of both political purchasing and pandemic purchasing .

when you see the possibility that there won't be any on the shelves it is easy to say well it's now or never. it is a catchy thing.

your probably right that this will not come to doors getting kicked in for your food stores. but it is a reality that crime does happen it will be interesting to see how crime numbers played out during this when we look back next year
he it could be like right after 9/11 where crime was very low for a few weeks.

I bet DUI is hitting all new lows with all the bars closed.

time will tell what it will be.

Well Said!

Life Member WTA
Life Member NRA
Member NTA

Re: AR 15 in Stock NOW [Re: DWC] #6816345
03/25/20 01:11 AM
03/25/20 01:11 AM
Southern Nevada
C
cat_trapper_nv Offline
"Cat Master"
cat_trapper_nv  Offline
"Cat Master"
C

Southern Nevada
Originally Posted by DWC

I am one who builds them, but some people don’t know how, don’t know anyone who can, or don’t care what it looks like. For that person, just buy one. But I do agree with the “don’t buy one in panic mode. $550 is the typical price for an AR like that. What most people don’t realize is most name brand guns are just a typical gun with a name stamped on it. Surplus Ammo is the manufacture for Rock River. A rock river upper cost 3x as much as a SA. Only difference is the logo on the parts. All budget ARs are built the same. Higher up ones are going to have a floating hand guard. The nicer brands are going to buy raw parts and paint or anodize them all the same so they match perfectly. The really high end might throw in a heavier buffer, a boron BCG and drop on trigger to standard 2 stage trigger, or cooler style of barrel. A budget gun will be the same as every budget gun. When a budget gun that’s a little more expensive than the other goes on “sale” it’s because they are putting it at the proper price.

Re: AR 15 in Stock NOW [Re: trapper234] #6816349
03/25/20 01:17 AM
03/25/20 01:17 AM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
So is the main difference the trigger? That seems to be the biggest complaint on cheap ones.

Re: AR 15 in Stock NOW [Re: DWC] #6816364
03/25/20 02:05 AM
03/25/20 02:05 AM
Southern Nevada
C
cat_trapper_nv Offline
"Cat Master"
cat_trapper_nv  Offline
"Cat Master"
C

Southern Nevada
Originally Posted by DWC
So is the main difference the trigger? That seems to be the biggest complaint on cheap ones.

Not the entire trigger. Just one of the springs in the trigger is what most people don’t like. The stock triggers are around 6lbs. But you can get springs that go down to 3.5lbs. Full drop in triggers can get down to 2lbs. If someone doesn’t like their stock trigger pull, a $8 spring is all you need to replace.

Re: AR 15 in Stock NOW [Re: cat_trapper_nv] #6816368
03/25/20 03:14 AM
03/25/20 03:14 AM
trapper234 Offline OP
trapper
trapper234  Offline OP
trapper

Not the entire trigger. Just one of the springs in the trigger is what most people don’t like. The stock triggers are around 6lbs. But you can get springs that go down to 3.5lbs. Full drop in triggers can get down to 2lbs. If someone doesn’t like their stock trigger pull, a $8 spring is all you need to replace.[/quote]

Thanks for all the info. I am new to AR 15 knowledge and have no idea how to build one so I purchased the Ruger 556 but have not received it yet. Can you give me a link to purchase that spring because I now found out that the trigger pull on that Ruger 556 is like a 8 lb pull and not very good. Thanks! Also is that a easy spring swap. Do you know if there are any videos on that spring change. I tried to find YouTube videos on how too complete builds but could not find any videos.

Life Member WTA
Life Member NRA
Member NTA

Re: AR 15 in Stock NOW [Re: trapper234] #6816877
03/25/20 12:10 PM
03/25/20 12:10 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
a 5.5 to 6 pound trigger isn't all that bad if your using it as a short range defensive arm.

i keep a bone stock completely factory parts PSA kit on a Anderson lower

I took it to our club service rifle shoot one time everyone is running modifications I was running a flip up magpul plastic rear sight , standard front sight tower , midlenght and did quite respectable

it wears a sure fire light I am not planning to shoot bug holes at 100 yards , I figure I don't plan to shoot farther than the light shines but it will shoot a lot further.

you can alwasy make the trigger better easily later

for the non build guys the complete rifles factory do hold resale value and some people really are leery about your franken-rifle

if you never plan to sell then build what you want

I think a fairly light weight 16 inch barrel with free float hand guard and 2-7 optic are very ideal it is still easy to carry , upgraded trigger & springs to get around 3-3.5 pounds easy to shoot , decent shooter to a 1/4 mile 55gr ammo is really loosing steam beyond 440 yards any way

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread