No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sleeping Bags #6817184
03/25/20 05:15 PM
03/25/20 05:15 PM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline OP
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline OP
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
With all the newfound wealth of Americans, is there any such thing as honest camping anymore? I'm not talking about the motor homes and the mega-trailers that folks use these days and call it "camping". I'm talking of throwing a canvas oil-cloth on the ground and throwing an old-fashioned sleeping bag on it. That's your bed. On a normal year, I probably spend 100 or so nights of the year in just such a situation.

Notes from a catfishing trip a week ago...

By 2000 hours, I was comfortably in the fart-sack, but acutely aware that my comfort was probably short-lived. Gusto (my 60-pound cowdog) elected not to share a bedroom with Katie (my 30-pound chukar dog), so he squeezed through the portal in the truck and joined me on the ground. Temperatures continued to plummet, and once the frost began to form, Gusto became rather insistent at becoming my bag partner. Sometime long about midnight, he nosed his way into the bag, burrowed to the nether regions at my feet, and refused any and all attempts by me at dissuasion. Had to be as uncomfortable for him as it was for me, but apparently warmth was more desirable than crowdedness.

Katie luxuriated in the truck cabin 'til almost 4 a.m., at which time she too decided to join in the sardine-esque accommodations on the ground. A modicum of warmth was had by all, but due to the confinement of 260 pounds of dogs and human within the confines of one insufficient sleeping bag (remember blivets?), slumber for all was evasive.

A sleeping bag thrown out on the ground has its own appeal, but I won't argue that it is as comfortable as my home-bed. Couple the sub-freezing air temps with the inevitable misplaced boulder and the occasional (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)-ants across the face, and I'll vote for my home bed more often than not. Into the equation, insert a couple of shivering dogs, and one finds that the slightly restrictive sleeping arrangement is transformed into a torture chamber that would equal the wildest musings of the Marquis de Sade.

Ahhh, but on the other hand, one must weigh these discomfitures with the positives.....

Re: Sleeping Bags [Re: Gulo] #6817228
03/25/20 05:54 PM
03/25/20 05:54 PM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
I feel you're pain ha ha I've invested in a cowboy bed roll which is a heavy tarp then a foam pad or inflatable pad then your sleeping bag then the tarp clips on top covering the whole thing granted it won't help you with the ants but it will add a whole new challenge for your dog's ha ha

Allan

Re: Sleeping Bags [Re: Gulo] #6817275
03/25/20 06:47 PM
03/25/20 06:47 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Not that many years ago I camped off my motorcycle much like that, only no dog. Really a great way of camping if you ask me but the older I get, the harder the ground becomes.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Sleeping Bags [Re: Gulo] #6817352
03/25/20 07:45 PM
03/25/20 07:45 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I have slept many nights in that fashion. Now i sleep on a fold out bed with an airmatress. Its queen size and folds into a rectangle about 14 inches square and 3 feet tall. The air mattress is inside a nylon cover and leaks are not a problem. Cold is. So I put an old sleeping bag with an iffy zipper on top the mattress and a good bag on top of that. I like comfort.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Sleeping Bags [Re: Gulo] #6817381
03/25/20 08:11 PM
03/25/20 08:11 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
I went around Lake Superior two summers ago on my motorcycle, 2 man tent, air mattress and sleeping bag. Going to get a air mattress that you do not blow up, blowing up is not problem I have a air pump that I plug into the motorcycle. just to thick. I have an old GI sleeping bag.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Sleeping Bags [Re: Gulo] #6817511
03/25/20 10:03 PM
03/25/20 10:03 PM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

I do lots of old fashioned camping. Normally hiking, canoeing or towing toboggans and snowshoeing. My last decent trip was a 800 mile trip around Algonquin park here in Ontario by snowmobile.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Titanium wood stove and pipe, lightweight tent. Whole kit fits on the sled and all gear weighs around 70 lbs including a gallon of extra gas.

Summer is generally sleeping bag and a tarp, but at thirty below this is the equivalent of just a bag and tarp in summer!

Years ago canoed from Cochrane to moosonee with only a tarp, sleeping bag and sleeping pad. And the pad was really there to keep you from sinking into the soggy moss! So yes, some of us do camp without motorhomes and such!

Re: Sleeping Bags [Re: Gulo] #6817530
03/25/20 10:13 PM
03/25/20 10:13 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Im with you hutchy. i left out that in addition to a sleeping bag under me i have stove going too. I set up camp out of a trailer I pull though. I wasnt kidding when I said I like comfort. Tent has a floor, I have coleman stoves and lanterns. Put a folding table in mine too. Getting soft in my old age.

[Linked Image]

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Sleeping Bags [Re: Gulo] #6817561
03/25/20 10:31 PM
03/25/20 10:31 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Coldest night I ever spent was in Wyoming sleeping on the metal bed in the back of a 68 Ford pickup. I like my tin Tipi that I pull behind the pickup.
The worst thing about sleeping in a tent is getting out of the sack to pee in the middle of the night. BRRRRRR

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Sleeping Bags [Re: Gulo] #6817566
03/25/20 10:36 PM
03/25/20 10:36 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
If you get a partner and can hold out longer than him, you can get up after he tosses a chunk or two in the stove

Re: Sleeping Bags [Re: danny clifton] #6817573
03/25/20 10:43 PM
03/25/20 10:43 PM
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

Originally Posted by danny clifton
If you get a partner and can hold out longer than him, you can get up after he tosses a chunk or two in the stove

Having a strategy is key

Re: Sleeping Bags [Re: Gulo] #6817609
03/25/20 11:14 PM
03/25/20 11:14 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
I got a good laugh out of that, Jack and am glad I wasn't drinking anything or it would have ended up on my laptop. Mainly laughing because I can relate. Rowdy, my 55 pound GSP is quite insistent upon getting into my sleeping bag when camping and the mercury drops much below 25 or so. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Wild_Idaho; 03/25/20 11:15 PM.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Sleeping Bags [Re: Gulo] #6817649
03/26/20 12:14 AM
03/26/20 12:14 AM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
I've done the bedroll on the ground thing with a good bag. Later I graduated to a cheap 8'X10" PVC tarp to cover you from the dew and rain. When I was in my 20s I would go out in the pasture around home when the snow was deep and it was cold. To do my survival thing with just a good bag, a saw and a few other back pack things. Made a survival shelter from red cedar branches underneath a bigger cedar. Slept in my bag on top of a pile …. a big pile of cedar branches with a tarp top cover with insulating snow [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
and a fire burning in front. Not much sleep as I kept the fire going but I proved to myself I could survive, long as I had a saw and evergreens were abundant. I really thought I had it all figured out when I went elk hunting first time with a small camper tent …… minimal gear. It rained for 2 days and then a foot of snow. I was cold , wet, tired ands exhausted after a week...…. but by goly I had a super time being a "mountain man".... a small town flatlander from Nebraska surviving in the rockies !!! But since then I have made much of what I need when me and a buddy or two go elk hunting. Wall tents, cots, wood stoves, hot showers, a heated (if need be ) outhouse, cook shacks etc. Been out in a foot of snow and lows around zero. Slept in my briefs on top my sleeping bag. The older I get it seems the smarter I got !!!!

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: Sleeping Bags [Re: Gulo] #6817731
03/26/20 07:01 AM
03/26/20 07:01 AM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
I usually sleep inside the fresh carcass of the animals I killed. Trade the hides for jerky and tea. Now that I’m older I’ve started at least wearing clothes on my camping adventures.

Re: Sleeping Bags [Re: tomahawker] #6817737
03/26/20 07:15 AM
03/26/20 07:15 AM
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

Originally Posted by tomahawker
I usually sleep inside the fresh carcass of the animals I killed. Trade the hides for jerky and tea. Now that I’m older I’ve started at least wearing clothes on my camping adventures.

If nude hiking day can be a thing, why not nude hunting??

https://www.mensjournal.com/adventu...-to-legally-make-the-most-of-it-w489096/

Props for taking it to the next level!

Re: Sleeping Bags [Re: Gulo] #6817833
03/26/20 09:38 AM
03/26/20 09:38 AM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline OP
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline OP
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
Appears that there are some old-style campers still out there! Thanks for the feedback guys. To my way of thinking, the more nights I can spend "under canvas", the happier and healthier I am. I just turned 60 (a few years ago), and I use that as an excuse for liking a sleeping pad underneath me now as well.

Tell me more about the "bed", Danny.

Admire the American flags at each set-up, NebrCatMan.

Nice set-up, Hutchy!

Sorry 'bout the GSP memories, Eric.

I'm thinking about that same set-up, Allan.

Carry on!

Jack

Re: Sleeping Bags [Re: Gulo] #6817873
03/26/20 10:21 AM
03/26/20 10:21 AM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
All of you guys, thanks for sharing the explanations and pictures. Back in the 70s and 80s I would sleep just about any where, from the ground under a rock to the bed of my old pickup. Gulo, I like the sounds of being happier and healthier but my idea of camping out is having three squares a day at the main lodge, of having someone make the bed after I have gone fishing and sleeping on a comfy bed! LOL

Just a few years ago I was flying to Los Vegas for a National Home building show. It was a North Easter, and we got delayed in NJ for a few hours. There was not time enough to go find a motel so I curled up with one of those paper thin airline blankets and slept on the concrete for three or four hours. When I got up to catch my flight I remembered why my camping style has evolved over the years. LOL

Re: Sleeping Bags [Re: Gulo] #6817880
03/26/20 10:29 AM
03/26/20 10:29 AM
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

Mac, maybe I will enjoy creature comforts more as I get older (doubtful, I am already stubborn), but I try and find ways to make great food out of a tent, or just about anywhere.

I discovered freezer bag cooking. Simply put, meals based on dry goods in a freezer bag with a predetermined amount of boiling water. Pour water, and wrap in a sweater and wait ten minutes while it steams. Like mountain house freeze dried meals, but much much cheaper do it yourself versions. Lots of recipes available online.

Simple, I find them delicious, can add wild meat, ready in about fifteen mins with no in the field prep, and no dishes or cleanup.

If I am going to be somewhat spartan, there will at least be a lot of food!

Whats nice too is, you can have hot meals for lunch if backpacking, hunting, etc so long as you can boil a cup and a half of water. And in a bag, you can eat while walking if you like.

Last edited by Hutchy; 03/26/20 10:31 AM.
Re: Sleeping Bags [Re: Gulo] #6817888
03/26/20 10:34 AM
03/26/20 10:34 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
I use a MSS bag/bivy with a decent sleeping pad. The pad makes a world of difference.

I sleep pretty close to the fire. Not for the warmth but so I can get it going again in the morning from the comfort of my bag.

Re: Sleeping Bags [Re: Gulo] #6818038
03/26/20 12:44 PM
03/26/20 12:44 PM
Meridian , ID
B
Badgerman50 Offline
trapper
Badgerman50  Offline
trapper
B

Meridian , ID
I When I was a teenager and in my 20’s I never used anything but a sleeping bag. Froze my gems off on occasion. I tore an old trailer apart and rebuilt it about 8 years ago. Sold it a few years ago for 3x what I paid for it. I have only used a tent since. Probably not a coincidence that my wife hasn’t gone camping with me in that same amount of time

Badgerman
Re: Sleeping Bags [Re: Gulo] #6818061
03/26/20 12:56 PM
03/26/20 12:56 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Gulo
With all the newfound wealth of Americans, is there any such thing as honest camping anymore? I'm not talking about the motor homes and the mega-trailers that folks use these days and call it "camping". I'm talking of throwing a canvas oil-cloth on the ground and throwing an old-fashioned sleeping bag on it. That's your bed. On a normal year, I probably spend 100 or so nights of the year in just such a situation.

Notes from a catfishing trip a week ago...

By 2000 hours, I was comfortably in the fart-sack, but acutely aware that my comfort was probably short-lived. Gusto (my 60-pound cowdog) elected not to share a bedroom with Katie (my 30-pound chukar dog), so he squeezed through the portal in the truck and joined me on the ground. Temperatures continued to plummet, and once the frost began to form, Gusto became rather insistent at becoming my bag partner. Sometime long about midnight, he nosed his way into the bag, burrowed to the nether regions at my feet, and refused any and all attempts by me at dissuasion. Had to be as uncomfortable for him as it was for me, but apparently warmth was more desirable than crowdedness.

Katie luxuriated in the truck cabin 'til almost 4 a.m., at which time she too decided to join in the sardine-esque accommodations on the ground. A modicum of warmth was had by all, but due to the confinement of 260 pounds of dogs and human within the confines of one insufficient sleeping bag (remember blivets?), slumber for all was evasive.

A sleeping bag thrown out on the ground has its own appeal, but I won't argue that it is as comfortable as my home-bed. Couple the sub-freezing air temps with the inevitable misplaced boulder and the occasional (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)-ants across the face, and I'll vote for my home bed more often than not. Into the equation, insert a couple of shivering dogs, and one finds that the slightly restrictive sleeping arrangement is transformed into a torture chamber that would equal the wildest musings of the Marquis de Sade.

Ahhh, but on the other hand, one must weigh these discomfitures with the positives.....

Hmmmmmmmmmmm Gusto or Miss Lisa !! Tough choice !!

Need to take your ginko biloba Jack !!

Mean As Nails
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread