No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tokyo Riggin' for bass [Re: Muskrat] #6819498
03/27/20 08:03 PM
03/27/20 08:03 PM
mo
B
billwhitakermo Offline
trapper
billwhitakermo  Offline
trapper
B

mo
Looks similar to a drop shot? Probably fished on light line with a small plastic and spinning reel. Would probably wack the smallies or be good on heavy pressured fish.

They use tungsten so the sinker is smaller. They are about half the size. If you are finesse fishing you don't want a big hunk of lead hanging by the bait.

Re: Tokyo Riggin' for bass [Re: Muskrat] #6819522
03/27/20 08:16 PM
03/27/20 08:16 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Muskrat
Originally Posted by waggler
. . . . Tungsten is a little more than twice as heavy as lead though.

Chemistry wasn't my strong suit but nope, lead is heavier than tungsten. Just isn't lethal to critters with gizzards.

Tungsten is atomic number 74 and lead is atomic number 82. With a few exceptions, the larger the atomic number, the heavier the atom. The atomic weights (how much equal numbers of atoms of each substance weigh) are right there on the periodic table. A lead atom is about 1-1/8 times heavier than a tungsten atom.

I don't mean to start an argument, I was wrong to one degree, tungsten isn't more than twice as heavy as lead, but almost twice as heavy as lead.

That is why gold plated tungsten is used in fake gold bullion; gold and tungsten have nearly the same density.

The density of lead is 11.6 the density of tungsten is 19.3
Density is g/cm3
Atomic number does not reflect density.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Tokyo Riggin' for bass [Re: Muskrat] #6819537
03/27/20 08:21 PM
03/27/20 08:21 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

^^^^^^
I was wondering if the use of tungsten is for environmental reasons, or for it's function. Since it's nearly twice as heavy as lead the same amount of weight will result in a much smaller sinker resulting in a faster sinking lure due to less drag. Kind of like the new smaller diameter fishing lines.

I'm thinking tungsten might make good halibut jigs for deep water (100-300 feet) jigging.

Last edited by waggler; 03/27/20 08:24 PM.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Tokyo Riggin' for bass [Re: Muskrat] #6819717
03/27/20 09:57 PM
03/27/20 09:57 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline OP
trapper
Muskrat  Offline OP
trapper

Wisconsin
see . . . I'm no chemist! grin

Re: Tokyo Riggin' for bass [Re: Muskrat] #6819777
03/27/20 10:31 PM
03/27/20 10:31 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Short armed bottom bouncer !!!! LOL

Re: Tokyo Riggin' for bass [Re: Muskrat] #6819823
03/27/20 10:55 PM
03/27/20 10:55 PM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
I saw those a few months ago. The latest craze. I will go out on a limb a d bet that any smallie that would hit that would hit my regular ol tune jig just the same.

Re: Tokyo Riggin' for bass [Re: Hutchy] #6819997
03/28/20 06:29 AM
03/28/20 06:29 AM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline OP
trapper
Muskrat  Offline OP
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Hutchy
I saw those a few months ago. The latest craze. I will go out on a limb a d bet that any smallie that would hit that would hit my regular ol tune jig just the same.

Depends on your situation. Down here we fish the river, and the smallies hold in the rocky areas the most. Getting that jig down to the bottom means a heavy jig, otherwise the current blows it downstream before it has a chance to get down to the rubble.

But a heavy jig also means it goes right to the bottom, and then catches between two rocks while reeling it in and then snagged. You can't always get the boat positioned on the other side of the pinned jig to pop it out backwards. So I'm looking at this rig as a means to get the presentation down there to the bottom right now, yet not get caught between rocks while reeling it back in.

Anyway, it's something to think about while the rivers here continue to rise now with the recent rains.

Had to make a supply run to Uline in Hudson yesterday, and took the river road up the Minnesota side and back down the Wisconsin side. Beautiful day for a trip. Behind every dam there were many, many boats. But the river is up over the islands . . . again. And rising.

Check out the NOAA Advanced Hydrologic Predictions:

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/forecasts.php?wfo=arx

And nearby Lynxville is the norm up the big river:

[Linked Image]

I hope this year isn't a repeat of last year's forever high water events.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread