No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Retroactive testing? #6821568
03/29/20 10:52 AM
03/29/20 10:52 AM
Brazil Indiana
H
harrison72 Offline OP
trapper
harrison72  Offline OP
trapper
H

Brazil Indiana
I know this is impossible, but for the sake of discussion think about this:
How many people this past winter/fall have had Covid 19 and recovered without ever even knowing any different? I think it would be very interesting to see. I don't doubt the seriousness of this situation at all, but I am betting several people have had this and never thought of it other than a normal flu. I am not going to argue with anyone, just wondering what others think.

Re: Retroactive testing? [Re: harrison72] #6821575
03/29/20 10:57 AM
03/29/20 10:57 AM
carolina, Alabama
The Possum Man Offline
trapper
The Possum Man  Offline
trapper

carolina, Alabama
If this already ran its course last november we wouldnt be having this outbreak of it now. I think this has already spread faster and further than people realize now. If you think you dont have it in your hometown, you are probably wrong. For instance we just found out a neighbor down the road tested positive for this friday. She got sick monday and took the test...and was infected sometime the previous week or two. SO by the time you get a positive test it has already been around and noone knew it,

"If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough"
Re: Retroactive testing? [Re: harrison72] #6821580
03/29/20 11:03 AM
03/29/20 11:03 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
I don't think that is anything we'd expect to see until get past the big bubble so to speak.. Would think they could or maybe even want to make post exposure test.. Could even be part of the research they're doing now. Just don't hear about it in the all the hub-bub. Would think eventually the statistics type people would want some kinda sample??

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Retroactive testing? [Re: harrison72] #6821587
03/29/20 11:06 AM
03/29/20 11:06 AM
minn
F
fossil2 Offline
trapper
fossil2  Offline
trapper
F

minn
before the travel ban, Chinese were flying into this country by the tens of thousands, mostly into the left and right coast airports. no way this virus didn't come here with them, as so many were infected over there. its been spreading here since that time, disguised as the "regular" flu. MY OPINION.

my sister tested positive over the weekend. had a low grade fever for about a week, but no cough. her husband is on a scheduled dose of chloroquine for arthritis, and he has no symptoms of any kind.

Re: Retroactive testing? [Re: harrison72] #6821588
03/29/20 11:07 AM
03/29/20 11:07 AM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
Should be able to test for antibodies in the blood and be able to tell weather you’ve had it or not.

Re: Retroactive testing? [Re: harrison72] #6821599
03/29/20 11:10 AM
03/29/20 11:10 AM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
I think that when the time comes, post crisis, that will be some very interesting data. I find it hard to believe that this somehow suddenly appeared in Wuhan sometime in November/December 2019, and did not exist prior to that. There are a lot of people and goods that transfer between continents, and I can't discount the potential that it may have begun filtering out prior to the current explosion worldwide.

Moosetrot

Re: Retroactive testing? [Re: harrison72] #6821749
03/29/20 12:53 PM
03/29/20 12:53 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
I believe there are many more that have/ had it without symptoms than we can amagine.

This one seems to pass along easy, but is less severe than most flu being most dying from it have 3 or more existing illnesses and are in their later years.

Re: Retroactive testing? [Re: harrison72] #6821784
03/29/20 01:24 PM
03/29/20 01:24 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Originally Posted by harrison72
I know this is impossible, but for the sake of discussion think about this:
How many people this past winter/fall have had Covid 19 and recovered without ever even knowing any different? I think it would be very interesting to see. I don't doubt the seriousness of this situation at all, but I am betting several people have had this and never thought of it other than a normal flu. I am not going to argue with anyone, just wondering what others think.

I think 100's of thousands had it before it had a name or a test.
I think right now thousands who have it are denied testing and sent home.

The scary numbers don't reflect any of this

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Retroactive testing? [Re: harrison72] #6821794
03/29/20 01:42 PM
03/29/20 01:42 PM
Nevada
YamaCat Offline
trapper
YamaCat  Offline
trapper

Nevada
Speaking of Testing, in my area, they won’t give you a test even if you have all of the symptoms, “Unless” you have travelled abroad. Pretty stupid, I think, when this area has hundreds of thousands of people coming from abroad. (The Grand Circle). Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, etc. etc.

Re: Retroactive testing? [Re: harrison72] #6821812
03/29/20 02:03 PM
03/29/20 02:03 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

I think OP is asking about CV antibody testing.
It looks like the tests will be available fairly soon. This will allow you to determine if you have already had the virus, whether or not you had symptoms or were asymptomatic.
If you have the antibodies the thought is is you will then have some degree of immunity. There may already be a lot of us who are already immune but just don't know it.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Retroactive testing? [Re: harrison72] #6821829
03/29/20 02:22 PM
03/29/20 02:22 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
This ^^^^^^

And once tested, if you are showing antibodies, and yet no current positive for the virus (meaning not still spewing active virus to infect others), those appear to be good candidates to go back to work / circulation. The first step in re-starting the economy. This assumes the antibodies are still good and you are not likely to get infected again.

If this works, those folks will be the first wave to go back to work, and maybe even work in high risk places. That may even include a lot of folks who are still laying low in isolation out of fear they might get it.

So two critical tests still needed.....one for antibodies and one for the virus. The cheap and quick kind of tests. They are supposed to be coming.

Last edited by HayDay; 03/29/20 02:25 PM.
Re: Retroactive testing? [Re: HayDay] #6821838
03/29/20 02:29 PM
03/29/20 02:29 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I personally don't feel there was very much here last fall as this is a new strain of Corona and thus no one has any immunity and thus I feel we would have had more severe cases and deaths back then as well, especially as some are saying that they feel thousands could have been infected and recovered. An 85 year old was just as likely to be infected in November as March. Also one would have thought that with as many that get hospitalized for flu that some positive tests for other viruses would have been discovered. To me it seems unlikely that only highly resistant and strong immune system persons would have been those infected 5 months ago versus what we see today.

Bryce

Re: Retroactive testing? [Re: harrison72] #6821842
03/29/20 02:33 PM
03/29/20 02:33 PM
carolina, Alabama
The Possum Man Offline
trapper
The Possum Man  Offline
trapper

carolina, Alabama
They will not use a test on you here unless you are sick enough to need hospitalization. They send you home to quarantine. The first positive test we had in this county was a doctor that got tested. There are PLENTY of people around that show all the symptoms of it but arent bad enough to really need a doc. So the "numbers" everyone here cant even be close to right. Only thing they can count accurately is dead people.

"If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough"
Re: Retroactive testing? [Re: harrison72] #6821846
03/29/20 02:36 PM
03/29/20 02:36 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

^^^^^
What make you think someone could have been infected back in November? This is a new CV, #2.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Retroactive testing? [Re: harrison72] #6822458
03/29/20 10:12 PM
03/29/20 10:12 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
A couple things to consider. Whooping cough was going through the population last fall. It gave a nasty dry cough that for some, led to pneumonia. As far as I’ve read, nobody here was looking for a new/novel corona virus because there was a candidate already that provided an explanation.

Yeah, the novel corona virus, eventually dubbed covid-19 started in Asia but so what? Everything starts somewhere. As I’ve written before, China didn’t report it to the rest of the world because they had no definitive test to use to find it: you can’t report what you don’t know. Our problem was that we didn’t act when China had a test and were telling us it was coming.

Let’s stop pointing fingers. We knew it was coming and now that it’s here, we’re tasked with understanding it better and treating those who have. It’s time to get ‘er done. This is what America is better known for. Let’s do it.

Never too old to learn
Re: Retroactive testing? [Re: harrison72] #6822519
03/29/20 11:05 PM
03/29/20 11:05 PM
SW Pa
W
wr otis Offline
trapper
wr otis  Offline
trapper
W

SW Pa
What makes you think it wasn't killing people in Nov, but not recognized.

22,000 plus dead from the flu this year, if we had never heard of, or figured out this was a new virus, would we really be doing anything different? Or would it just be a really bad flu season.

I think it is definetly possible that several people I know have had it, and got over it like they would most viruses.

Re: Retroactive testing? [Re: harrison72] #6822535
03/29/20 11:26 PM
03/29/20 11:26 PM
North Pole ak
T
Team V Offline
trapper
Team V  Offline
trapper
T

North Pole ak
I have been in quarantine for almost 2 weeks I have a bad bad cough no sense of smell, runny nose but no fever. I was in clinic same day are first person was diagnosed . I call there hot line talk to doc he said in less you can’t breath stay home . So I moved into cabin on property and have stayed put. Granite I work from home and my cabin is next to my shop so no big deal . But I have friends all same symptoms and no one is getting tested so who knows who many have it . They say there is 102 last night that number could be way bigger in less they just start testing random people say take 500 people in my community and see if it is all over and the death rate is lower we will never no.

More people are going to die of poverty ( bankruptcy )and lose of insurance then this virus will probably kill.

Re: Retroactive testing? [Re: Team V] #6822572
03/30/20 12:29 AM
03/30/20 12:29 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Originally Posted by Team V

More people are going to die of poverty ( bankruptcy )and lose of insurance then this virus will probably kill.

Hope you feel better soon.

The economic ramifications of the reactions to covid-19 are going to be bad. Movie theaters will be down for many months, sports stadiums will not be filled again this year, restaurants are basically finished for dine in for months or the year, brick and mortar college campuses are done for the year....maybe longer....all those college towns are in for a hard time, travel industry, cruise industry, airlines, all small shops/businesses, barber, hair salon, manicure salons, city and county revenues from tickets issued via police will be @ an all time low because police want to stay away from people......lack of police patrols/early release of criminals = higher crime....and this is worldwide....I hear India is going to make over a billion people stay at home for a month. You shut down the global economy as it never has ever been shut down before and anything can happen....maybe this was the globalist/china plan form the get go?
People are still trying to get their heads wrapped around the virus and have not really thought of what is going to happen after....or really right now as the shut down effects are upon us @ this minute..this thing peaks in june/july and then is right back ramping up in Sept.....

And how is it that China had so few cases/deaths????????

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Retroactive testing? [Re: harrison72] #6822577
03/30/20 12:48 AM
03/30/20 12:48 AM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Because those are the numbers China has given....

Re: Retroactive testing? [Re: harrison72] #6822584
03/30/20 01:17 AM
03/30/20 01:17 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
Logistically there are certain numbers nobody releases. Like what % of your armed forces have been infected, for one. Telling the world 4% of your troops are ill let’s one’s enemies know you’re vulnerable. #2, Every kid entering college in China is made a soldier. Every college kid gets a uniform and goes through a couple weeks of military training. It isn’t vigorous, but it gives them a taste. They are considered student soldiers for the 4 years of college, but they can be called up any time the government feels there is a need. I doubt they’d report the student soldier numbers either. I suspect the numbers in state run businesses (factories and power plants) might also not be reported again to avoid showing an enemy another area of weakness.

It’s still got to be going on all over the country. They’re just not as open as we are in sharing the numbers. I know for a fact that k-12 education is still being done by video. College is being done the same way. From what I’ve heard, city streets and highways are sparsely populated. People are staying in as much as possible even now.

But, and you can read this online from AXIOS and CNBC, the Chinese are going to be flying in 22 flights of medical gear and all of this has been coordinated via FEMA in the coming weeks. If they’re such a threat, we wouldn’t have sent tons of medical supplies to them in their hours of need nor would our government be buying 60% of what they’re shipping now.

Never too old to learn
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread