No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: MnMan] #6822844
03/30/20 10:20 AM
03/30/20 10:20 AM
Wyoming
H
Hobbs Offline
trapper
Hobbs  Offline
trapper
H

Wyoming
If you do some research you will find that air heats and cools in the esophagus so that when it hits the lungs it is roughly the same temp. If you think about how sensitive the lungs are you would kill yourself before you could get temperatures hot enough to kill any virus. There is a lot of studies out right now debunking sitting in a Sauna as a curative for Covid-19. I think all of your other ideas are pretty spot on but I really doubt from the research that I have done that Steam would do anything except loosen congestion. [/quote]

OK, that makes sense but I know from experience that the steam did help loosen the congestion when I had a chest cold about sixteen years ago or so.[/quote]

Correct! a Sauna or a nice steamy shower is just the ticket for congestion and I don't think it would hurt either way. I just know from doing a bit of research that it does not till off any viruses or bacteria because the body is an amazing creation that was designed to adapt to extreme conditions without damaging it's self.

It's a trappers life for me
Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: MnMan] #6822901
03/30/20 11:04 AM
03/30/20 11:04 AM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline OP
trapper
MnMan  Offline OP
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
If we want to talk about prevention here are a few of the things that I do: I live alone (for the past 19 years) and only go out for groceries once a week. When I do I stay at least 6 feet away from any other customers and I go early in the morning. I use the hand sanitizer and sanitary wipes as offered there on everything that I touch on the carts too. I only shop at a small grocery store 5 miles away so crowds are minimal. I live on a lake by a small town of about 1000 people so most of my travel is by walking, riding my bicycle,. or boating.
I have made my own wipes by cutting paper towels into squares that fit in a Tupperware sandwich container and then dump generous amounts of rubbing alcohol in there. I use these to wipe off door handles on my vehicle when I use it and the steering wheel also. The door knobs in my house, garages, faucet handles, and fridge door handles get the same treatment. If I ever were to go to the gas station again, I would wipe the handles or wear my gloves when I pump gas.
I also wash my hands thoroughly regularly and often gargle twice a day with peroxide first and the with antiseptic mouth wash...especially after returning from the grocery store.
If the virus were to come to my county I could stay locked in for long periods if I had to since my freezers have enough venison and fish to hold me for a long time in that situation and I have great tap water and plenty of dehydrated potatoes on hand..
I do deviate from safety on a certain issue when my girlfriend comes to stay with me on the weekends. I do make her keep at least six feet away on all occasions, though. wink

So there, I have talked a bit about prevention, Mac.

Last edited by MnMan; 03/30/20 11:12 AM.

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: MnMan] #6822912
03/30/20 11:12 AM
03/30/20 11:12 AM
Meridian, Idaho
10bands Offline
trapper
10bands  Offline
trapper

Meridian, Idaho
My cousin's son has it in Washington and spent about 3 weeks in a hot shower off and on all day because he breathes easier during and after. His mom, my cousin, is a nurse in Phoenix but I don't know if he did this on her advise, his doctors or just on his own.

Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: MnMan] #6822916
03/30/20 11:14 AM
03/30/20 11:14 AM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
I did see a video of a person who stated the virus dies at 135 F. They recommended a sauna but if no sauna available to use a blow dryer and cup the end so you can breath in the hot air. Sounds corny but if I ever get symptoms I'll be busting out the blow dryer. Desperate people will do desperate things.

Good post Mn Man. We need more positive/informative posts like this instead of fighting over dumb junk.

Yes, it is abit easier for those of us who live alone. Can't lie...I/m liking this semi isolation thing.

Last edited by Calvin; 03/30/20 11:16 AM.
Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: Calvin] #6822920
03/30/20 11:19 AM
03/30/20 11:19 AM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline OP
trapper
MnMan  Offline OP
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
Originally Posted by Calvin
I did see a video of a person who stated the virus dies at 135 F. They recommended a sauna but if no sauna available to use a blow dryer and cup the end so you can breath in the hot air. Sounds corny but if I ever get symptoms I'll be busting out the blow dryer. Desperate people will do desperate things.

Good post Mn Man. We need more positive/informative posts like this instead of fighting over dumb junk.

Yes, it is abit easier for those of us who live alone. Can't lie...I/m liking this semi isolation thing.

Thanks, Calvin, I hope it doesn't happen but the day may come where home treatment is the only remedy available if all of the medical facilities are overwhelmed.

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: MnMan] #6822933
03/30/20 11:34 AM
03/30/20 11:34 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I am just using the natural time honored remedies that are available from the bush that are antiviral and immune boosting.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: Law Dog] #6822945
03/30/20 11:48 AM
03/30/20 11:48 AM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Originally Posted by Law Dog
It seems filling your lungs with moisture would be something to stay away from when your sick but that’s just me.

Thats what im thinking. If you watch that video, youll realize that if ur pimps holding ur head under water, i sont think id want to send some steam in to follow. I do appreciate that he explains he isnt sure why we have a pimp to try and drown us, but somewhere in life we took a road that led us to have a pimp. Thats fair.

Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: MnMan] #6822950
03/30/20 11:51 AM
03/30/20 11:51 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Originally Posted by MnMan
Originally Posted by Macthediver
Maybe and old fashion Indian sweat log is in order for this bug??..

I'am kind of surprised no one here on T-man has figure out how to clean it up yet.

Using the go too Dawn dish soap, Baking Soda, and peroxide.
Would have also thought someone would know how long you have to soak it in vinegar to get it off ya?

And there has been no discussion at all about how to best protect your self..
Should we be dying and waxing our selves? Coating in Andy Stoes? or Formula 1? or simply just applying a good coat of Rust-o-luem..

Guys here been talking to much pollyticks and not sticking to what we know..Solving problems..

Mac eek

Mac, I'm not talking politics here and we all have been hearing constantly about how to protect ourselves from this virus but in case it does get to us it would be helpful to have some home remedy to alleviate some symptoms. Good Lord I think we all know enough to avoid people and wash our hands and keep our hands away from our faces by now. I sure don't see how my question was in any way political or how asking for some way to ease symptoms at home was stupid.

Sorry MnMan wasn't trying to mess up your post

My first suggestion was a real idea.. the sweat lodge..Been used for centuries by many..

The others more just meant as something I thought people here might get a giggle lighten things up. Because so many go over those topics regular here as cure all for trapping things..
All though I would suspect the Dawn, Baking soda and peroxide would be as good a cleaner as a lot on the market claim to be..

I mention the pollytick thing because we have been beating that up a lot, would like seeing less myself..

T-man folks really do have lot of Knowledge and are problem solvers..

I'am guilty myself not always expressing things right in right post though..

Sorry Man

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: MnMan] #6822957
03/30/20 11:55 AM
03/30/20 11:55 AM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline OP
trapper
MnMan  Offline OP
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
OK, so steam probably is not the best idea if that is the case but it had worked for me when the congestion was so tight that the mucous could not be coughed out until softened or loosened. This virus is no doubt different in what it does to the lungs. The hot dry air might in this case help some in drying it out if it can't be coughed up. Benadryl maybe?

Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: MnMan] #6822975
03/30/20 12:10 PM
03/30/20 12:10 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Taking things to reduce fever is bad in my opinion. That is going against what your body is doing to fight the virus. Doesn't take 135F to kill viruses. A few degrees hotter can do the trick.

Google John Hopkins and they have a list of what works and what is myth.

Last edited by beaverpeeler; 03/30/20 12:11 PM.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: MnMan] #6822985
03/30/20 12:23 PM
03/30/20 12:23 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
When I've had a head cold, I used a vaporizer to help clear my sinuses. That seemed to help. I've used Vicks Vaporub for a chest cold at night before I went to bed. That seemed to help too.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: MnMan] #6822993
03/30/20 12:30 PM
Deer lodge, MT
D
Dean Chapel Offline
trapper
Dean Chapel  Offline
trapper
D

Deer lodge, MT
The main problem with heat is the virus lives INSIDE your cells. To kill it in your cells, you'd have to destroy the cell. Heating up your cells to 135 degrees will kill you. The rumor that "heat kills the virus" is true, just as "heat kills everything" is true. That info cannot be used in a practical way except to let your fever run its course. Your own intra-cellular immune system is what has to kill the virus, soooo... do things that actually give a boost to your immune system. Like sleep. Get greater than 7 hours daily. On cold viruses, which may not be applicable, people who got less than 7 hrs sleep at night were 300% more likely to catch a cold than those who slept more. Also, zinc MAY help keep the cell from uptaking viral particles so easily. Of course all this info is derived from other viruses, because this on is so new we really have no experimental data on it yet.

Last edited by Dean Chapel; 03/30/20 12:31 PM.
Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: MnMan] #6822994
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Hot dry air may be a factor. My wife has been following this all kind close being in what is considered compromised group. She was looking at the map spread yesterday said Arizona wasn't showing any cases yet.. I don't know much about the state may self. But aren't couple their bigger cities travel hot spots?
I know one of my moms doctors been years ago suggested she should think about moving there. She was immune deficient swelled up sometime from just almost any bug bite or little scratch.
Anyway have heard Arizona good climate for asthma people too..
Anyone looked at what this bug is doing in Africa or other more desert type places.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: MnMan] #6822996
03/30/20 12:35 PM
03/30/20 12:35 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I have friends that live in a desert. Talked to them on the phone saturday and no corona virus in their county

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: MnMan] #6823092
03/30/20 01:35 PM
03/30/20 01:35 PM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline OP
trapper
MnMan  Offline OP
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
Good points being brought up to this discussion.....keep them coming. There have been days when I was fishing when I couldn't catch a fish let alone a cold...I can only hope this applies to the virus as well.

Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: Boco] #6823099
03/30/20 01:42 PM
03/30/20 01:42 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
Originally Posted by Boco
I am just using the natural time honored remedies that are available from the bush that are antiviral and immune boosting.

eatin mushrooms again ha?explains aaaaaa lot.

Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: MnMan] #6823100
03/30/20 01:43 PM
03/30/20 01:43 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
i've saw 2 people besides my wife in the last 3 weeks.i'm the hide and go seek champion on my street. laugh

Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: pcr2] #6823118
03/30/20 02:05 PM
03/30/20 02:05 PM
Ohio
C
Computer Hater Offline
trapper
Computer Hater  Offline
trapper
C

Ohio
Originally Posted by pcr2
i've saw 2 people besides my wife in the last 3 weeks.i'm the hide and go seek champion on my street. laugh

You're the champion because nobody wants to find you!!!
grin grin

Randy
Member NTA, FTA
Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: MnMan] #6823129
03/30/20 02:18 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I've got grandyounguns still in the snotty nose stage so we were fully stocked up on the creeping crud meds already. I was sure to pop in my local store for my wee dram of medicine. Between dranbuie, single malt, lemons, tea and honey I figure I'll pull through.

[Linked Image]
Re: Home Treatment Ideas? [Re: MnMan] #6823130
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.