No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Northcountry] #6823311
03/30/20 05:26 PM
03/30/20 05:26 PM
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Offline
trapper
Squash  Offline
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
I do the same for thing wrap dry Chaga in a towel and smash with a mallet. I do have an old commercial size meat grinder and am going to try putting small chunks through that.

Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Northcountry] #6823312
03/30/20 05:27 PM
03/30/20 05:27 PM
Western Michigan
Animals Only Offline
trapper
Animals Only  Offline
trapper

Western Michigan
My wife buys it. It is cut in chunks about 2" square or smaller. She boils the chunks in a gallon of water for four hours. The chunks are taken out and dried. Then frozen until next use. The chaga tea is strained and put in a gallon dispenser. She drinks about 8oz a day.

AKA: Rusty Shackleford
Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Northcountry] #6823317
03/30/20 05:31 PM
03/30/20 05:31 PM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Online content
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Online Content
trapper
T

Michigan
dux dang what do you do if it molds

Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Bruce T] #6823326
03/30/20 05:36 PM
03/30/20 05:36 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Originally Posted by Bruce T
Benefits of chaga
Nutrient-dense superfood. Share on Pinterest Chaga mushrooms contain a wide variety of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. ...
Slowing the aging process. ...
Lowering cholesterol. ...
Preventing and fighting cancer. ...
Lowering blood pressure. ...
Supporting the immune system. ...
Fighting inflammation. ...
Lowering blood sugar.
More items...•Jul 22, 2017
Medical News Today › articles
Chaga mushrooms: Benefits, tips, and risks - Medical News Today

Thanks. Interesting

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #6823385
03/30/20 06:19 PM
03/30/20 06:19 PM
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Offline
trapper
Squash  Offline
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
dux dang what do you do if it molds

It needs to be dried properly, then it will keep for a long time if kept in a dry place.

Also, to reap the full benefit from this super food, you need to consume the tincture made from Chaga. Just making tea will not get all benefits it contains.

There are risks and there can be some side affects to certain people, and I think people with diabetes should not consume it.

Last edited by Squash; 03/30/20 06:25 PM.
Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Northcountry] #6823394
03/30/20 06:23 PM
03/30/20 06:23 PM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Online content
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Online Content
trapper
T

Michigan
if it molds do you throw it out ?

Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Trapper Dahlgren] #6823398
03/30/20 06:26 PM
03/30/20 06:26 PM
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Offline
trapper
Squash  Offline
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
if it molds do you throw it out ?

I have never had problems with mold. But it is best most potent, if harvested in fall and winter.

Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Northcountry] #6823418
03/30/20 06:40 PM
03/30/20 06:40 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
Originally Posted by Northcountry
Originally Posted by DuxDawg
Easiest when it is still wet (before it has ever been dried).
Have you tried a coarse wood rasp?
Or a cleaver with a baton.

Wood rasp creates fines/powder, I dont want that. I already get enough of that as it is.

Cleaver and baton are not much different than my method with a 5lb maul.

I am thinking about cutting it into 1/4" slices on the band saw, then maybe it will crumble but
I doubt it. This latest chaga I got, is so dense its petrified. I think I could knapp some arrowheads
with it. LOL

Been drinking strong, jet-black chaga tea every day, for a couple years. Just straight, no sugar
or anything else added. Its a good thirst quencher to me. To me, its essentially flavorless. Best
way I can describe it, is that it tastes like paper- just a very slight woody taste.

-NC

Do you keep the black part or only the brown?

Cold as ice!
Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Northcountry] #6823473
03/30/20 07:29 PM
03/30/20 07:29 PM
Michigan
Northcountry Offline OP
trapper
Northcountry  Offline OP
trapper

Michigan
Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

Do you keep the black part or only the brown?

I grind it all up, together. The black crust and the yellow core, each have their benefits.
I've heard of chaga sellers saving the black crust for themselves and only shipping the
core material to unsuspecting buyers.

Native people in Siberia have been drinking it for thousands of years, its their daily drink
instead of coffee. They live alot longer than most other "civilized" cultures.

One thing is for sure, when the exterior is brewed, the tea is as black as my walnut trap
dye. Looks just like India ink. My wife cuts my brew with 3-4 parts water before she will
drink it.

-NC

Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Northcountry] #6823624
03/30/20 08:44 PM
03/30/20 08:44 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
Thanks Northcountry! When I make tea with chaga I try to only use a little bit of the black because of the strong flavour you get from it. I’ve read people don’t know exactly what part of the chaga the benefits come from, so I add a bit incase that’s where it is.

I find chaga to be very smooth and velvety.

Cold as ice!
Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Northcountry] #6823641
03/30/20 08:57 PM
03/30/20 08:57 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
The life expectancy of northern siberian people is less than the already short lifespan of other russians.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Northcountry] #6823687
03/30/20 09:27 PM
03/30/20 09:27 PM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

I smash with a hammer also. Chunks dice size and smaller are fine. I gathered about 40 lbs last winter. Still not through grinding it all. Keep the raw stuff frozen till i smash and dehydrate it

Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Hutchy] #6824044
03/31/20 06:37 AM
03/31/20 06:37 AM
Michigan
Northcountry Offline OP
trapper
Northcountry  Offline OP
trapper

Michigan
Originally Posted by Hutchy
I smash with a hammer also. Chunks dice size and smaller are fine. I gathered about 40 lbs last winter. Still not through grinding it all. Keep the raw stuff frozen till i smash and dehydrate it

Thanks Hutchy, that sounds exactly like my situation. I dont gather more than we need to use as a family each year. I probably have at least 25 live chaga waypoints, collected over time as I find them, and I just make a trip to gather what we need in mid-winter. I usually only need to collect a couple large ones.

Some misc info from the web...

------------------
Originating in Eastern European and Russian folklore, Chaga has been found in archaeological digs as far as 6,000 years ago. Ancient people used to drink it, to make broths out of it, rub it on their skin, and even smoke it. During menstruation and childbirth, the Khanty tribe of Siberia used Chaga mushroom to sterilize and protect the fetus and mother from infection, they inadvertently found that heating up Chaga and quenching it forms Potassium Permanganate (KMnO4) which is a known disinfectant (1).

The people of Siberia enjoyed this drink like we do our coffees and pumpkin spiced lattes. One early explorer observed the health and longevity of the Inuit tribes versus the Siberian people. While they had different diets, they generally consumed the same types of foods., except that the Inuit didn't drink Chaga. The Inuit would live to be on average about 50 years old, while the Siberian people lived well into their 80s. Chaga may be one reason for their enhanced longevity. Unfortunately the FDA was not around then to give their evaluation, but it appears to be more anecdotal evidence.

When World War 2 came around, Chaga had a taken a high seat among the Russian medical cabinet. In 1955, the Russian Medical Academy of Science approved Chaga as an immune booster. It later came out as a treatment for tumors and cancers where it still has a strong role in the Russian community. Today, Chaga is almost unknown in the Western world, its popularity lies in Europe, Asia, and the Far East.
--------------------
Here are a few of the chemicals produced by Chaga that are also biologically active in humans.

Melanin
Antioxidant enzymes
Triterpenoids
Ergosterols
Sesquiterpenes
Betulinic acid
Polysaccharides
Phytosterols

Multiple laboratory and animal studies have demonstrated the ability of these biologically active Chaga chemicals to exert a beneficial effect on mammalian physiology (1).

Published reports document the ability of Chaga mushrooms to:

kill cancer cells (Glamočlija, 2015; Ning, 2014; Lee 2009; Baek, 2018; Kang, 2015, Kim 2018)
reduce damaging inflammation (Mishra, 2012)
boost the immune system (Ko, 2011; Park, 2005)
relieve pain (Park, 2005)
increase stamina/reduce fatigue (Yue, 2015)
act as an antioxidant (Najafzadeh, 2007; Giridharan 2011)
It should be noted that none of the reports above were performed on human patients. These in vitro and animal studies are intriguing, however, clinical studies are needed to confirm their findings.

2020 update: In vitro research has been published demonstrating the ability of Chaga extract to interfere with cancer cells. A study in the Phytomedicine journal indicates that a chemical compound present in Chaga, called Inotodiol, possesses anti-cancer capacity. Using cell culture assays, the authors demonstrate Inotodiol can prevent malignant tumor migration and invasion. Further testing in human subjects could inform us whether Chaga extracts may act as a viable treatment for human cervical cancer.
-----------------------

-NC

Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Northcountry] #6824058
03/31/20 07:14 AM
03/31/20 07:14 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
maybe bloodroot mixed with chaga could be the cure for cancer.

Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Northcountry] #6824071
03/31/20 07:31 AM
03/31/20 07:31 AM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
If I catch the mold quick, cut it off just like with hard cheeses. A that point it's usually short, white and just in a few spots. When the mold is tall, hairy, multiple colors, etc; then safe is better than sorry and toss.

Squash is correct, some of the beneficial compounds come out of chaga with water and others only with alcohol.

Squash, while some say it is best to harvest chaga during the winter, do we really think such an agonizingly slow growing fungus has any real change from season to season? Seems like a standard practice from harvesting plants ignorantly applied to fungi.

I brew all parts of the chaga in hot water. Unlike the majority of other teas, with which we take the water off the heat *before* adding the stuff we brew, I continuously simmer chaga at a low boil for hours. Usually in a Crock Pot on low overnight. I ought to start making alcohol based tincture with chaga, just never have.

Speaking of parts, the orange and yellow work best with F&S, the black won't catch a spark at all.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Northcountry] #6824104
03/31/20 08:02 AM
03/31/20 08:02 AM
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Offline
trapper
Squash  Offline
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
Duxdawg, all I know about harvesting it during colder months, is that is what the retailer I sell it to wants, and what he has told me. Birchboys.com

Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Northcountry] #6824107
03/31/20 08:06 AM
03/31/20 08:06 AM
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

Originally Posted by Northcountry
Originally Posted by Hutchy

Thanks Hutchy, that sounds exactly like my situation. I dont gather more than we need to use as a family each year. I probably have at least 25 live chaga waypoints, collected over time as I find them, and I just make a trip to gather what we need in mid-winter. I usually only need to collect a couple large ones.

Some misc info from the web...

------------------
Originating in Eastern European and Russian folklore, Chaga has been found in archaeological digs as far as 6,000 years ago. Ancient people used to drink it, to make broths out of it, rub it on their skin, and even smoke it. During menstruation and childbirth, the Khanty tribe of Siberia used Chaga mushroom to sterilize and protect the fetus and mother from infection, they inadvertently found that heating up Chaga and quenching it forms Potassium Permanganate (KMnO4) which is a known disinfectant (1).

The people of Siberia enjoyed this drink like we do our coffees and pumpkin spiced lattes. One early explorer observed the health and longevity of the Inuit tribes versus the Siberian people. While they had different diets, they generally consumed the same types of foods., except that the Inuit didn't drink Chaga. The Inuit would live to be on average about 50 years old, while the Siberian people lived well into their 80s. Chaga may be one reason for their enhanced longevity. Unfortunately the FDA was not around then to give their evaluation, but it appears to be more anecdotal evidence.

When World War 2 came around, Chaga had a taken a high seat among the Russian medical cabinet. In 1955, the Russian Medical Academy of Science approved Chaga as an immune booster. It later came out as a treatment for tumors and cancers where it still has a strong role in the Russian community. Today, Chaga is almost unknown in the Western world, its popularity lies in Europe, Asia, and the Far East.
--------------------
Here are a few of the chemicals produced by Chaga that are also biologically active in humans.

Melanin
Antioxidant enzymes
Triterpenoids
Ergosterols
Sesquiterpenes
Betulinic acid
Polysaccharides
Phytosterols

Multiple laboratory and animal studies have demonstrated the ability of these biologically active Chaga chemicals to exert a beneficial effect on mammalian physiology (1).

Published reports document the ability of Chaga mushrooms to:

kill cancer cells (Glamočlija, 2015; Ning, 2014; Lee 2009; Baek, 2018; Kang, 2015, Kim 2018)
reduce damaging inflammation (Mishra, 2012)
boost the immune system (Ko, 2011; Park, 2005)
relieve pain (Park, 2005)
increase stamina/reduce fatigue (Yue, 2015)
act as an antioxidant (Najafzadeh, 2007; Giridharan 2011)
It should be noted that none of the reports above were performed on human patients. These in vitro and animal studies are intriguing, however, clinical studies are needed to confirm their findings.

2020 update: In vitro research has been published demonstrating the ability of Chaga extract to interfere with cancer cells. A study in the Phytomedicine journal indicates that a chemical compound present in Chaga, called Inotodiol, possesses anti-cancer capacity. Using cell culture assays, the authors demonstrate Inotodiol can prevent malignant tumor migration and invasion. Further testing in human subjects could inform us whether Chaga extracts may act as a viable treatment for human cervical cancer.
-----------------------

-NC

Ya, I figure I only need to collect once every three years or so. The stuff I got last winter came from about an acre sized area of my trapline. I see it all over here.

Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Bruce T] #6824220
03/31/20 09:54 AM
03/31/20 09:54 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Pawnee
I thought you guys back east and up north were pretty smart dude’s for the whole maple syrup thing, but if you’re grinding up growths on trees using vices and rasp I may rethink that.lol

You can just knock it off the tree using the back of your axe.Indians have been drinking this for years.

Or your war club grin

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Bruce T] #6824238
03/31/20 10:14 AM
Downeast Maine
scalloper Offline
trapper
scalloper  Offline
trapper

Downeast Maine
Benefits of chaga
Nutrient-dense superfood. Share on Pinterest Chaga mushrooms contain a wide variety of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. ...
Slowing the aging process. ...
Lowering cholesterol. ...
Preventing and fighting cancer. ...
Lowering blood pressure. ...
Supporting the immune system. ...
Fighting inflammation. ...
Lowering blood sugar.
More items...•Jul 22, 2017
Medical News Today › articles
Chaga mushrooms: Benefits, tips, and risks - Medical News Today

And good for the YANG.. grin
I drink it often both water and alcohol extraction.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
Re: Grinding chaga [Re: Northcountry] #6824239
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
If I was 65 or had underlying health issues, I'd be buying and drinking Chaga alot. The most powerful chaga comes from the cold, polution free areas of Alaska.

Who is John Galt?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread