No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: The Beav] #6823542
03/30/20 08:08 PM
03/30/20 08:08 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I draw the lines on my coon boards 3/8 of an inch longer than the size lines. I know they shrink back but an inch sounds like a lot. I know I have boarded them, dried them and measured again before selling or shipping sometimes 2-3 months after being off the boards and I did not see that much shrink. I really watch the corners or the shortest distances so they stay in the larger size.

Bryce

Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: TRAPPER-ED] #6823551
03/30/20 08:14 PM
03/30/20 08:14 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Well beav you don't see them 6 month later, so you don't see the shrink.age

Some of the old Racoon sizing boards were X inches wide and the length were marked on them. If the hide did not go across the board for width....it did not get into the FORMED length, notice that I did not say stretched size, it was up to the grader to bump it up when it go to them.

Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: TRAPPER-ED] #6823562
03/30/20 08:18 PM
03/30/20 08:18 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I am not familiar with coon-what are the size increments?I know on marten 1/2 inch over the line will not guarantee you that size after sitting in the auction warehouse for weeks not to mention packing,handling,thru changing humidity levels til they arrive at the auction,drumming etc.The increments on marten are 2 inch and I want them an inch over or directly between the lines.On otter it is 4 inch increments and I want those 2 inches over the line-an otter will shrink as much as beaver.
And dont forget if the noses are pointy and not rounded they measure from just above the eyes.That has been published for decades.

Last edited by Boco; 03/30/20 08:19 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: TRAPPER-ED] #6823587
03/30/20 08:29 PM
03/30/20 08:29 PM
Nebraska
Poorcoon Offline
trapper
Poorcoon  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Relatively speaking, the size of the Coon to me is a little concern compared to the quality of the Coon anyways. A select 3x Coon will be worth $10 or more then a 1 to II grade 4X. generally

"Nothing I like to do pays well." True Grit

"Revenge is in the hands of God, not mine." Revenant.
Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: walleye101] #6823600
03/30/20 08:33 PM
03/30/20 08:33 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Online content
trapper
rpmartin  Online Content
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by walleye101
Originally Posted by rpmartin
Anyone wanting seller valuation at fha should speak up now on this thread, this may be our best chance at it. Dosen't have to be a speech, a simple statement would be fine. Not sure how many on here know who Greg is. He runs the cambridge wi fha headquarters. It may not do any good but it can't hurt.

There has to be some middle ground and a way to figure this out so fha does not get inundated with a ton of calls. If you have good idea this would be the time to bring it up. Thanks

NAFA was providing valuation to the shippers for some time and I don't see how it helped much. I've seen skins sell well over and well under valuation. For kicks I looked back at the August NAFA sale and less than half of my goods sold for 32% less than valuation.

If I had my preference, bidders would not be able to see valuations for live auctions. I don't see how that benefits the shipper or auction house, but they are used to seeing it now and would complain if not available.

Not sure what kind of fur you had that sold for 32% under valuation but I bet fha would love you as a seller that has no problem bending over and grabbing your ankles. Lol

Unless that fur was junk to start with I would want an auction house to answer a few of my questions as to why they decided to sell it that far under valuation instead of buying it back when they are making 11% on my hard work.

Where is the line on how far below valuation when the auction house decides to buy the fur back?? Where is the line and how often is the line a moving target??

I agree with you on the bidders not seeing the valuation if the sellers can't. If I go to a farm auction i don't know what the valuation of the equipment I'm looking at bidding on but i do know what i need and how much i can spend on it. The same as bidders on fur.

Last edited by rpmartin; 03/30/20 09:39 PM.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: TRAPPER-ED] #6823610
03/30/20 08:39 PM
03/30/20 08:39 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Usually depends on the fur.In a down market the junk will be sold freely into the market for whatever is offered.There is no benefit to anyone inventorying that fur.

Last edited by Boco; 03/30/20 08:40 PM.

Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: TRAPPER-ED] #6823685
03/30/20 09:27 PM
03/30/20 09:27 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Boco- you're always talking about "junk", especially in fur that is more commonly found in the lower 48 than around your pad. A guy can have fur that has been graded high but its "region" is not that desired. At NAFA, I think there was 7 coon regions. So a guy can have "select" larger skins say from Western Semi Heavy but because its the 3rd or 4th region down the list, it doesn't get bought until the better deals for the buyer open up--happened to me last year. I suppose you can classify whole regions as "junk" but that doesn't mean the fur was badly handled or in poor shape. Of course, not all of us live in the land of primo fur in all directions...

P.S. If grinners ever make to Boco land, they will become the best possums in North America laugh

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: TRAPPER-ED] #6823692
03/30/20 09:30 PM
03/30/20 09:30 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I never said any of that crap.Stop the bullcrap trying to put words in my mouth.
I am informing of the auction house protocols for selling fur,you moron.

Last edited by Boco; 03/30/20 09:31 PM.

Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: rpmartin] #6823707
03/30/20 09:42 PM
03/30/20 09:42 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN

Not sure what kind of fur you had that sold for 32% under valuation but I bet fha would love you as a seller that has no problem bending over and grabbing your ankles. Lol

Unless that fur was junk to start with I would want an auction house to answer a few of my questions as to why they decided to sell it that far under valuation instead of buying it back when they are making 11% on my hard work.

Where is the line on how far below valuation when the auction house decides to buy the fur back?? Where is the line and how often is the line a moving target??

I agree with you on the bidders not seeing the valuation if the sellers can't. If I go to a farm auction i don't know what the valuation of the equipment I'm looking at bidding on but i do know what i need and how much i can spend on it.

That fur that sold under valuation in August had been bought back at previous March and June auctions, and it was NAFA's last gasp at a live auction, so that might explain it for you. And if the fur had been junk to start with it would not have had that high of valuation.

Last edited by walleye101; 03/30/20 09:45 PM.
Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: Boco] #6823710
03/30/20 09:44 PM
03/30/20 09:44 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Online content
trapper
rpmartin  Online Content
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Boco
Usually depends on the fur.In a down market the junk will be sold freely into the market for whatever is offered.There is no benefit to anyone inventorying that fur.

I agree boco but the auction house should have enough time to take your call and explain the situation.
Basically it comes down to if they will or will not be held accountable for their actions.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: rpmartin] #6823716
03/30/20 09:47 PM
03/30/20 09:47 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by Boco

I agree boco but the auction house should have enough time to take your call and explain the situation.
Basically it comes down to if they will or will not be held accountable for their actions.

NAFA wasn't really in any position to be taking phone calls and explaining selling under valuation in August of 2019.

Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: TRAPPER-ED] #6823740
03/30/20 10:00 PM
03/30/20 10:00 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
That fur that sold under valuation in August had been bought back at previous March and June auctions, and it was NAFA's last gasp at a live auction, so that might explain it for you. And if the fur had been junk to start with it would not have had that high of valuation

That's exactly what happened. By August, I wasn't expecting to make the initial valuation amount so was not surprised it sold for an average of about 60% under the first valuation. But those last coon skins weren't section III, some were select but from a down list region.

Boco- you make me laugh!! You've called about a third of tman members "moron" or whatever common "nasty" terms you use when you're o the defensive so we're generally inoculated (no pun intended in the era of the virus!) from your insults. Sort of look forward to them because you mostly don't have many arrows in that particular quiver...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: TRAPPER-ED] #6823797
03/30/20 10:29 PM
03/30/20 10:29 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Hey-I call em as I see em.
And if your shoe fits you wear it.
And of course I will defend myself.
And one mans junk is another mans treasure.-In other words in a falling market what was previously of value can now be junk and not worth storing.The buyers preferences or lack there of will determine what is junk and what has value.The auction house doesnt decide that.
And junk fur comes from all sections.

Last edited by Boco; 03/30/20 10:32 PM.

Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: TRAPPER-ED] #6823913
03/30/20 11:44 PM
03/30/20 11:44 PM
Alaska
A
Akmike84 Offline
trapper
Akmike84  Offline
trapper
A

Alaska
Well, if trappers are going to argue over what the valuation is and why they can't see it. Maybe just do away with the valuation all together. It sounds like that's what some of you would prefer. Its an auction right? If two people want the item then great, if not, well it will be sold at whatever pennies someone is willing to pay. Done deal, no arguments over what the auction house values the fur at and no arguing over who can and can not see it? Lots of auctions are ran that way. Watch the crying start then... I guess everyone could beg groeny to take their fur or tan it all and line their living rooms with it?

Bottom line, we have one major auction house now. Its in their best interest to get as much $$ as they can for the goods that are shipped to them. Doesn't matter what they do, some people will never be happy.

Mike

Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: TRAPPER-ED] #6824092
03/31/20 07:54 AM
03/31/20 07:54 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Of course the auction house needs to set valuations. The discussion is who needs to see them, shippers, buyers, or just the auction house.

My point with NAFA was that nothing was gained by shippers knowing the valuation of the fur going into the August auction.

Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: TRAPPER-ED] #6824146
03/31/20 08:39 AM
03/31/20 08:39 AM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
walleye101's Example of a sinking ship is pretty poor to use. I feel there is one thing that can be gained, by seeing what value the auction house puts on your fur. It can help you make better decision on if you should ship them more fur for the next auction. Lets say if coyotes are selling in the country for $100 and have been all along, and you see they are valued at the auction at $70, you may not want to rush to get them on the truck. If it is the other way around it would encourage you to make the cut off date for the next auction. Even though your fur may bring more or less in the actual auction they should have a good idea of what it should bring.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: MJM] #6824170
03/31/20 09:13 AM
03/31/20 09:13 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
But, remember the NAFA example started in March before anyone knew the ship was in trouble. If the valuations set for the March sale were not overpriced for the existing market those skins would not have been available for the June or August sales.

Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: MJM] #6824193
03/31/20 09:30 AM
03/31/20 09:30 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by MJM
walleye101's Example of a sinking ship is pretty poor to use. I feel there is one thing that can be gained, by seeing what value the auction house puts on your fur. It can help you make better decision on if you should ship them more fur for the next auction. Lets say if coyotes are selling in the country for $100 and have been all along, and you see they are valued at the auction at $70, you may not want to rush to get them on the truck. If it is the other way around it would encourage you to make the cut off date for the next auction. Even though your fur may bring more or less in the actual auction they should have a good idea of what it should bring.

Bingo! I'm not a ship and hope trapper. I'm not married to FHA. I sleep around. They are just one option. Prices good, ship. Prices bad, other options.

Good; defined as profitable.

Last edited by Dirt; 03/31/20 09:34 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: TRAPPER-ED] #6824209
03/31/20 09:44 AM
03/31/20 09:44 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Online content
trapper
The Beav  Online Content
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Just because the auction house puts a value on your fur doesn't mean It's going to sell at that value. The only way you can make a judgment as to what the markets doing Is after the sale. But then of coarse It's to late.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: My FHA fur is now posted [Re: The Beav] #6824213
03/31/20 09:48 AM
03/31/20 09:48 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by The Beav
Just because the auction house puts a value on your fur doesn't mean It's going to sell at that value. The only way you can make a judgment as to what the markets doing Is after the sale. But then of coarse It's to late.

In the last couple of years, if its not coyotes or cats, the Auctions have been moving most pelts at valuation or less. When there is bidding, you are correct.

P.S. This year, gonna be hard to get FHA any fur after April 2 when most of us are gonna be on lockdown. Oops!

Last edited by Dirt; 03/31/20 09:53 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread