No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber #6825610
04/01/20 01:26 PM
04/01/20 01:26 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline OP
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Arlington County, Virginia arrested an employee protecting the business he was working in. The employee was apparently sleeping in the store to prevent burglaries when 3 masked robbers broke into the business and the employee shot one of them with a legal firearm and permit to carry. Apparently, the police officer told the employee he should of ran out the back door which ended up being blocked anyway on the outside by the burglars before breaking into the business. The employee was being held without bail for three days while developing a cough. While he is being held without bail, the jail is releasing criminals. If you recall, this is Governor Northam’s state, the anti-gun governor. Since this is Arlington County, some people are suggesting Northam did this to make an example of somebody. Fox News tried to contact the District Attorney and said he can’t comment on a case under investigation.

Re: Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6825621
04/01/20 01:36 PM
04/01/20 01:36 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
They had the business owner on Fox news. (Not the shooter)

The owner is questioning the blocking of the rear door also, and is really perturbed that his employer was arrested.

Re: Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6825647
04/01/20 01:57 PM
04/01/20 01:57 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Rope must be expensive in VA I’d donate a few thousand feet for a starter!

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6825676
04/01/20 02:17 PM
04/01/20 02:17 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6825715
04/01/20 02:49 PM
04/01/20 02:49 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
trapper
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
For those of you that belong to and praise the GOA, will they get involved in this case and support this gun owner? Now is the time to show the good they can do.

Re: Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6825742
04/01/20 03:15 PM
04/01/20 03:15 PM
Meridian, Idaho
10bands Offline
trapper
10bands  Offline
trapper

Meridian, Idaho
Shooting someone for taking your stuff is a very good way to end up in jail.

Re: Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber [Re: 10bands] #6825745
04/01/20 03:22 PM
04/01/20 03:22 PM
Nebraska, Dawson County
chas3457 Offline
trapper
chas3457  Offline
trapper

Nebraska, Dawson County
Originally Posted by 10bands

Yes, in itself, but if three masked intruders have me cornered, S**T is about to happen.

Trouble is, leftists believe the intruders were just performing their chosen occupation, and are entitled to proceed unhindered.

Charlie

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

NRA Life Member ~ GOA Member ~ NFOA Member ~ UNMLA Member
Re: Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber [Re: 10bands] #6825747
04/01/20 03:23 PM
04/01/20 03:23 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
trapper
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID

When you are in your own place of business it is called Stand Your Ground Laws. Only liberal far left governments don’t understand it. Like Governor Northam of Virginia.

Re: Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6825755
04/01/20 03:27 PM
04/01/20 03:27 PM
carolina, Alabama
The Possum Man Offline
trapper
The Possum Man  Offline
trapper

carolina, Alabama
I have ZERO problems with shooting a thief. 3 masked dudes run up in any place that I am better be quicker than me...

"If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough"
Re: Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6825767
04/01/20 03:38 PM
04/01/20 03:38 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
not sure if the employee/shooter said it but the boss did in the interview , they smashed through the window the employee woke to a loud noise he thought was a shotgun blast he the employee fired 3 shots to scare them off and hit one of them.

don't say the underlined words

better to say it sounded like a blast meaning they were armed , I just didn't want to die so I shot to keep from being shot. sorry for my bad aim I was really shaken.

to many it sounds the same but one you were scared but didn't believe you were going to die the other you had a strong belief that you were going to die making it a justifiable use of self defense.

it shouldn't be like this but it is especially in counties near DC and other big cities

it is very concerning that there was likely #4 out the back door waiting for an exit to gain entry

most places have seen a steep decline in crime since 3/14 but as people adjust to this being the new normal I think it will likely be going back up.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber [Re: 10bands] #6825781
04/01/20 03:49 PM
04/01/20 03:49 PM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS

Seriously? So someone would have no worries of being shot taking all your stuff? shocked
I would think all robbers would understand the risks of the job include possibility of jail, serious bodily injury, or death.

Re: Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6825786
04/01/20 03:53 PM
04/01/20 03:53 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
Everyone needs to read the article LAtrapped provided the link to and get some facts before jumping to conclusions. It was illegal for the shooter to be in possession of a firearm. According to the shooter the shots were fired to "scare off the intruders," and one was hit by accident. This means the shooter did not make a case for acting in self defense. Bad move that. This is NOT a simple case of Northam and At.Gen. Herring (both of whom I despise) making an example of someone who used a firearm in self defense.

Re: Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6825795
04/01/20 03:57 PM
04/01/20 03:57 PM
Nebraska, Dawson County
chas3457 Offline
trapper
chas3457  Offline
trapper

Nebraska, Dawson County
Andrew, as it was explained to me, at the CCW class I took, you CAN NOT shoot anybody for just stealing your stuff. The only time you can shoot is if you are in eminent danger, then be prepares to be sued by the assailant or his family.

Charlie

Re: Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6825811
04/01/20 04:03 PM
04/01/20 04:03 PM
Meridian, Idaho
10bands Offline
trapper
10bands  Offline
trapper

Meridian, Idaho
Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper

When you are in your own place of business it is called Stand Your Ground Laws. Only liberal far left governments don’t understand it. Like Governor Northam of Virginia.

It's still not a get out of jail free card. I understand all that stuff and believe in it but I also know you're very likely to end up in jail for some period of time for shooting anyone for any reason. Thinking you're justified, even with excellent proof, doesn't mean you won't be prosecuted. Shooting someone for taking stuff will likely cost tens of thousands to defend and if someone dies, a life sentence shouldn't be unexpected. Ask George Zimmerman how things can go.

Re: Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber [Re: EdP] #6825813
04/01/20 04:05 PM
04/01/20 04:05 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by EdP
Everyone needs to read the article LAtrapped provided the link to and get some facts before jumping to conclusions. It was illegal for the shooter to be in possession of a firearm. According to the shooter the shots were fired to "scare off the intruders," and one was hit by accident. This means the shooter did not make a case for acting in self defense. Bad move that. This is NOT a simple case of Northam and At.Gen. Herring (both of whom I despise) making an example of someone who used a firearm in self defense.

That's a game changer, he might be screwed.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber [Re: chas3457] #6825815
04/01/20 04:07 PM
04/01/20 04:07 PM
Wisconsin
V
virgil1972 Offline
trapper
virgil1972  Offline
trapper
V

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by chas3457
Andrew, as it was explained to me, at the CCW class I took, you CAN NOT shoot anybody for just stealing your stuff. The only time you can shoot is if you are in eminent danger, then be prepares to be sued by the assailant or his family.

Charlie

Are you going to wait to see what someone intends to do when they smash your window in the middle of the night. Probably not

Re: Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber [Re: chas3457] #6825822
04/01/20 04:11 PM
04/01/20 04:11 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by chas3457

Charlie

X2

In my CCW class , the same thing was taught. You have to be in VERY EMINENT danger , no chance of escape or avoidance. Also be prepared to lose everything you own , your family , your job , your reputation.

Criminals have too many rights.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6825824
04/01/20 04:12 PM
04/01/20 04:12 PM
Nebraska, Dawson County
chas3457 Offline
trapper
chas3457  Offline
trapper

Nebraska, Dawson County
An acquaintance of mine that was a corrections officer at a penitentiary, told me that if they shot an inmate in the line of duty, they would be "cuffed and stuffed".

That being said, what chance does a civilian have for an automatic 'free pass'. It ain't gonna be pretty any way you slice it. It is better than being dead though.

Charlie

Re: Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6825838
04/01/20 04:31 PM
04/01/20 04:31 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
trapper
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Here in Idaho if somebody tries to hi jack your vehicle, which is an item, as per our Stand Your Ground Law you can use use deadly force. The other thing, if somebody is in your home or your place of business to rob you or trying to steal your vehicle, how do you know they will not use deadly force against you to get the item. For states that have Castle Doctrine laws, your home is your castle and you have every right to protect against an intruder, armed or unarmed. Once inside your building, you have no idea what the robbers intentions are. Do you wait to the intruder pulls a weapon or he starts to bash you head in which will be too late for you. If somebody breaks into my home and I’m in it at the time, I will have a firearm pointed at him. If he starts to advance on me and I tell him to stop and he doesn’t, I will double tap in the torso even if he doesn’t have a visible weapon. What do you do if you are outnumbered by multiple intruders. Ask them if they are only here to steal something and then they will be on there merry way. I will shoot at least one of them if they don’t obey my orders even if I don’t see a weapon on any of them since I am not waiting to be attacked. However, after the intruder leaves the home and no longer possesses a threat, then you can’t use force.

Re: Virginia county jails citizen for shooting robber [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6825852
04/01/20 04:40 PM
04/01/20 04:40 PM
Meridian, Idaho
10bands Offline
trapper
10bands  Offline
trapper

Meridian, Idaho
Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
Here in Idaho if somebody tries to hi jack your vehicle, which is an item, as per our Stand Your Ground Law you can use use deadly force. The other thing, if somebody is in your home or your place of business to rob you or trying to steal your vehicle, how do you know they will not use deadly force against you to get the item. For states that have Castle Doctrine laws, your home is your castle and you have every right to protect against an intruder, armed or unarmed. Once inside your building, you have no idea what the robbers intentions are. Do you wait to the intruder pulls a weapon or he starts to bash you head in which will be too late for you. If somebody breaks into my home and I’m in it at the time, I will have a firearm pointed at him. If he starts to advance on me and I tell him to stop and he doesn’t, I will double tap in the torso even if he doesn’t have a visible weapon. What do you do if you are outnumbered by multiple intruders. Ask them if they are only here to steal something and then they will be on there merry way. I will shoot at least one of them if they don’t obey my orders even if I don’t see a weapon on any of them since I am not waiting to be attacked. However, after the intruder leaves the home and no longer possesses a threat, then you can’t use force.

Still doesn't mean you won't got to jail. Stand your ground/castle doctrine is a defense not a pass. I'm not "anti-defend-yourself". I'm wearing a gun right now but I've studied this stuff a bit. Read about cases of self defense and you'll find out what it means in both money and time even if you're exonerated. My stuff isn't worth it. My life or your life on the other hand is. You just better be able to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. There's an awful lot of prosecutors and the major media out there who will do everything they can to prove you're wrong.

Last edited by 10bands; 04/01/20 04:42 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread