General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Jim helfrich [Re: MikeTraps2] #6828377
04/03/20 01:38 PM
04/03/20 01:38 PM
WV Fla
River Birch Offline
trapper
River Birch  Offline
trapper

WV Fla
Originally Posted by MikeTraps2
How about ole Bud Boda -he and my Dad were friends. I always thought the way he diagramed and described locations were excellent

That's a great one Mike!

How about George Wacha Jr (he was originally living in NJ then moved to AL) ... and Jeff "coon" Richter...

Lifetime Member NJTA...WTTA Caught the bug in 1979
Re: Jim helfrich [Re: John hal] #6828381
04/03/20 01:39 PM
04/03/20 01:39 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I still have some of Buds lures.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Jim helfrich [Re: The Beav] #6828389
04/03/20 01:44 PM
04/03/20 01:44 PM
Ames, IA
MikeTraps2 Offline
trapper
MikeTraps2  Offline
trapper

Ames, IA
My Dad used to buy Bud's Green and Ex Super by the QUART!

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Jim helfrich [Re: John hal] #6828502
04/03/20 03:25 PM
04/03/20 03:25 PM
SW Pa
W
wr otis Offline
trapper
wr otis  Offline
trapper
W

SW Pa
Wonder if Bud didn't get his formulas from Thorpe.

Re: Jim helfrich [Re: John hal] #6828713
04/03/20 07:03 PM
04/03/20 07:03 PM
WV Fla
River Birch Offline
trapper
River Birch  Offline
trapper

WV Fla
classic...

[Linked Image]

Lifetime Member NJTA...WTTA Caught the bug in 1979
Re: Jim helfrich [Re: John hal] #7067263
11/29/20 06:11 PM
11/29/20 06:11 PM
MT
J
JimHelfrich Offline
trapper
JimHelfrich  Offline
trapper
J

MT
It has been some time since I have been on here, so I will say a few words and then shut up and listen. There has been, as there always was, a lot of rumors, misinformation, and half-truths, as well as facts and accurate info about me over the years. I was simply a trapper who loved and lived for Trapping and made it my life's quest. I met many outstanding men along the way, men whom I learned from whom I shared with, who helped me, and whom I helped as well.

One year I gave 71 days of private trapping instructions in 73 days! Some of those men became lifelong friends whom I have admired and shared experiences with since then. Some I would run into many years' latter at a trapper's convention, and we would begin talking as if we had left off the day before.

Yes, I wrote books; 7 of them, hundreds of articles for at least five different magazines, made lures and baits, trapping equipment, and traps. The traps were the eliminators, named because they eliminated most of the problems I had with traps back I the day. Many of those innovations resulted from Charles Dobbins and I spending many hours at trappers' conventions off by ourselves snapping traps on our fingers talking about this problem or that one. Yes, Charles Dobbins, the father of this site's Paul Dobbins, was one of those men I spoke about.

Some of you probably have eliminators with the Charles Dobbins swivels on them. They are a solid one-piece swivel and the best ever made. Unfortunately, he was unable to keep up with demand, so I also used the Butera swivel, which is a swivel made from one piece but overlaps. There is a picture of this type of swivel on the forum page. The Dobbins swivel was superior because it had no place for grass to catch and begin to wrap.

Back "in the day," traps were pretty basic; many were manufactured according to cost rather than performance. Charles wrote books on how to modify them, and I slammed the manufacturers demanding they improve them. As a result, we now have better traps. In fact, in recent years, the Montana Fish and Game adopted two of the innovations the Eliminators have as required now. They dropped a third requirement that I asked them not to do. When these proposed rules came up, I sent a detailed letter telling them of my experiences and why and recommendations. They did what was suggested; however, I cannot say it was because of what I write them, but I can say I am glad they did.
I live in Montana now and have trapped here considerably but did not trap much last year and will not this year much due to prices. I have been blessed as a trapper to experience the hay day of Trapping, big numbers, and big prices. I have trapped with many exceptionally good men, most, not names anyone would recognize, and in 11 different states for 57 years now. Trapped most kinds of critters, including Mt. Lions and big game animals, for relocation

And with all of that, I still have much to learn and experience. A trapper never gets to say he knows it all or has done it all cause every animal is different, every area is different, and every year is different. I have met men much younger than me that taught me things Trappers who have only trapped a few years that had knowledge that I did not. So, to think that because I have done what I have done, I know or can answer it all is simply wrong.

I do some parts for Eliminators, so I will help where I can. I am happy to answer questions and help with problems when and where I can. I do not sit at the computer for hours as some do, so be patient. If I don't get to you on here, you can reach me at Jimhelfrich1952@Gmail.com but the purpose of this forum is to share so others can benefit so let’s respect that. I love and still live for Trapping. I participate in state laws and testim0ones to protect our rights and ensure that laws being passed are far and good. I am out of the commercial side of it, so I have nothing to sell or promote.

I am grateful Paul has kept this site going and does so to help trappers. His father was that way, always helping where he could.

Tight Chains,

Jim Helfrich

Re: Jim helfrich [Re: John hal] #7067276
11/29/20 06:19 PM
11/29/20 06:19 PM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Dang a ghost from the past! At times through the years i was glad you answered those goofy question's from that kid in the holler in Alabama, other times i wished you hadn't and i could of gave up trapping and found something better do with myself ,lol.

Glad to see your still kicking, Jackie Malone if that name rings and OLD bell.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Jim helfrich [Re: John hal] #7067279
11/29/20 06:26 PM
11/29/20 06:26 PM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Your old place outside fredericktown ,north liberty bears no resemblance to what it once did. Theres a couple new houses there. Drove there a couple times last yr as I live nearby. My old memories of going there to buy lures etc are just that....memories because that place is gone.

Re: Jim helfrich [Re: JoeGoodman] #7067301
11/29/20 06:44 PM
11/29/20 06:44 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
o
Originally Posted by JoeGoodman
Carroll Black talked of running a river trapline with Jim here in Ohio. I believe they trapped together for some time. Blackie had nothing bad to say about Helfrich and spoke fondly of that time in his life. Can you imagine the amount of stories and BS being slung around in a small canoe with those two characters on board!? WOW! There wouldn't be much room for anything else! If any members here have a picture of Jim, I request they post it here please, so folks know what the fellow looks like.

Joe Goodman

Joe, back in the day, sitting around a fire at night, sipping adult beverages, Blackie and Jim would start on the the B and J stories! Blackie was always a great story teller, and they would have to top each other with their own versions. Don't recall the years but there were a couple Fur Takers at Union City, Tn that I remember that going on. Some of those were so small that about all there was was dealers there, aand a handfull of trappers!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Jim helfrich [Re: John hal] #7067498
11/29/20 08:24 PM
11/29/20 08:24 PM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
I sincerely wish I had invested every nickel I could scrape together in the #750’s!!! As it was I bought six of them and they were hands down the best beaver and otter trap I ever used. Much later in life, economic situations caused me to sell off my 750’s and my #114 Newhouse. I should have sold a kidney instead! I had one wolf model 750 that I won in a bet and that single trap accounted for dozens of beaver over the years. Then I had the great idea that I could sell the trap and buy a dozen other beaver traps, another poor decision! I truly wish the 750 would return to production!

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: Jim helfrich [Re: John hal] #7067581
11/29/20 08:54 PM
11/29/20 08:54 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
Hi Jim, met you some time back at a mt. Trapper met in Lewistown can't remember what year.
But you stopped by my booth an got some stuff we talked a bit. I have met alot of good trappers at verious conventions threw the year's.
I like the low key trappers that have something to share , as I can talk trapping for hours.
Thank you for what you have done for trappers here in montana , and trapping in general.

Let me sugar coat this
Re: Jim helfrich [Re: JimHelfrich] #7067593
11/29/20 09:00 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
Back in grade school in the 70's your coon trapping book really kicked my trapping into high gear. Thank you Sir

Till that day.....
Re: Jim helfrich [Re: John hal] #7067597
Northern WI
L
Line Jumper Offline
trapper
Line Jumper  Offline
trapper
L

Northern WI
Jim, bought 5 dozen of your 450's in the early 80's, still have most of them, really like that little trap!

Re: Jim helfrich [Re: John hal] #7067616
11/29/20 09:11 PM
11/29/20 09:11 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
I vote for this thread go to the archives after it has run it's course. This info could become invaluable some day.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: Jim helfrich [Re: John hal] #7067654
11/29/20 09:28 PM
11/29/20 09:28 PM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Hi Jim,

I am 64 and back in the early 80's when I was able to run and gun I read your books and they were great. The one that really changed things for me was Profitable Coon Trapping. I slayed them after that, they all taught me a lot but that one really upped my catch. Those were some great times and I am glad to be able to say thanks!

Jeff

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: Jim helfrich [Re: John hal] #7067686
11/29/20 09:38 PM
11/29/20 09:38 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Jim, all the rumors not withstanding, it is very good to see that your still vertical. I'm surprised that I hadn't tripped over ya at a convention somewhere, but good to have a blast from the past! Take care and hope to run into you somewhere! The best, Lee

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Jim helfrich [Re: John hal] #7068493
11/30/20 03:41 PM
11/30/20 03:41 PM
MT
J
JimHelfrich Offline
trapper
JimHelfrich  Offline
trapper
J

MT
Thanks Lee.

Re: Jim helfrich [Re: lee steinmeyer] #7068618
11/30/20 05:45 PM
11/30/20 05:45 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
ky_coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
o
Originally Posted by JoeGoodman
Carroll Black talked of running a river trapline with Jim here in Ohio. I believe they trapped together for some time. Blackie had nothing bad to say about Helfrich and spoke fondly of that time in his life. Can you imagine the amount of stories and BS being slung around in a small canoe with those two characters on board!? WOW! There wouldn't be much room for anything else! If any members here have a picture of Jim, I request they post it here please, so folks know what the fellow looks like.

Joe Goodman

Joe, back in the day, sitting around a fire at night, sipping adult beverages, Blackie and Jim would start on the the B and J stories! Blackie was always a great story teller, and they would have to top each other with their own versions. Don't recall the years but there were a couple Fur Takers at Union City, Tn that I remember that going on. Some of those were so small that about all there was was dealers there, aand a handfull of trappers!

Lee, that FTA convention at Union City, TN was in 1982....My first convention.

Mr. Helfrich, Your Profitable Fox Trapping book got me catching my first reds and grays....Your Coon and Mink book were great also....Thanks for what you did for many young trappers.

Member - FTA
Re: Jim helfrich [Re: John hal] #7068621
11/30/20 05:46 PM
11/30/20 05:46 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Man back in the 1970's I devoured all of Jim's books. I'm sure they influenced my trapping style. Had a great relationship with Carroll Black later on, but didn't really know Jim well. Glad to hear he's still pinching toes; this takes me down memory lane.

Re: Jim helfrich [Re: John hal] #7068626
11/30/20 05:52 PM
11/30/20 05:52 PM
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

I did demos at conventions and had booth near carrol in the 90"s,at bowling green he watched more of my snaring vids than he did sales. Miss Blackie.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91