No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing #6826543
04/02/20 12:14 AM
04/02/20 12:14 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline OP
trapper
Catch22  Offline OP
trapper

OH

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Catch22] #6826548
04/02/20 12:25 AM
04/02/20 12:25 AM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Originally Posted by Catch22

Thats just as wrong as the bs stimulus package

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Catch22] #6826549
04/02/20 12:28 AM
04/02/20 12:28 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Online content
trapper
waggler  Online Content
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
H-2B foreign workers are the legal type of foreign works we want; not the illegal type.

These workers are generally the only workers who will take jobs in certain industries. In the Alaska Bristol Bay commercial salmon fishery, a lot, if not most of the process workers are foreigners. They are the only ones who will work the long, grueling hours required by the industry.

A few years ago there was a glitch in the entry system that didn't allow these workers in the USA. The fish processing companies had to try to hire US citizens. It was a disaster, nothing about complaining and work stoppages. These workers knew ahead of time that they would be required to work 16 hours a day during the peak of the season; they refused. A bunch of whiners.

If you think you can handle the work, or know someone who thinks they can, I can steer you in the right direction, but I sure wouldn't recommend it. I am frequently on the processing ships that these poor folks are working on, it really does suck.

I generally like Tucker Carlson, but he does get it wrong once and a while, just like we all do.

Last edited by waggler; 04/02/20 12:35 AM.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Catch22] #6826556
04/02/20 12:38 AM
04/02/20 12:38 AM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Right now we need all members in the boat to not only have an oar but to use it .............free crap needs to cease

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: waggler] #6826564
04/02/20 01:23 AM
04/02/20 01:23 AM
Indiana
K
keystone Offline
trapper
keystone  Offline
trapper
K

Indiana
Originally Posted by waggler
H-2B foreign workers are the legal type of foreign works we want; not the illegal type.

These workers are generally the only workers who will take jobs in certain industries. In the Alaska Bristol Bay commercial salmon fishery, a lot, if not most of the process workers are foreigners. They are the only ones who will work the long, grueling hours required by the industry.

A few years ago there was a glitch in the entry system that didn't allow these workers in the USA. The fish processing companies had to try to hire US citizens. It was a disaster, nothing about complaining and work stoppages. These workers knew ahead of time that they would be required to work 16 hours a day during the peak of the season; they refused. A bunch of whiners.

If you think you can handle the work, or know someone who thinks they can, I can steer you in the right direction, but I sure wouldn't recommend it. I am frequently on the processing ships that these poor folks are working on, it really does suck.

I generally like Tucker Carlson, but he does get it wrong once and a while, just like we all do.

Workers shouldn’t have to work 16 hours a day, i’m sure someone from some 3rd world country would be happy to come and take your job and work twice the hours for half the pay. I get so tired of hearing there the only ones who will do the jobs. Yeah, there the only ones who will do the jobs because of the terrible hours, conditions, wages, etc!

Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: keystone] #6826625
04/02/20 06:35 AM
04/02/20 06:35 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by keystone

Workers shouldn’t have to work 16 hours a day, i’m sure someone from some 3rd world country would be happy to come and take your job and work twice the hours for half the pay. I get so tired of hearing there the only ones who will do the jobs. Yeah, there the only ones who will do the jobs because of the terrible hours, conditions, wages, etc!

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Catch22] #6826628
04/02/20 06:46 AM
04/02/20 06:46 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Certain industries, agriculture and fishing among them, require those long hours at peak harvest times.

Way back in the 70's I worked at a mushroom processing plant. There were times were were required to work 16 hour days for several weeks at a time. If I recall correctly, labor laws didn't require the employer to pay overtime during certain peak periods, but they did have to give us a second, 30-minute lunch break during the second eight hours.

Eh...wot?

Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Catch22] #6826635
04/02/20 07:03 AM
04/02/20 07:03 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
As long as the pay was commensurate I have no problem with the long hours, The rub here is companies balancing their checkbooks on the backs of poor immigrants. If the job is long and hard, the paychecks should be long and hard.

Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: keystone] #6826643
04/02/20 07:20 AM
04/02/20 07:20 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland

If you had to pay people what it would take for them to pick crab meat there wouldn’t be any crabbers. lol

-Goofy-
Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Catch22] #6826649
04/02/20 07:31 AM
04/02/20 07:31 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
I'd imagine it would be difficult to change shifts on a ship out on the ocean. Some folks just don't get it. Mother Nature's way has been working well for a long time. If an animal can't take care of themselves, they're gone. We started coddling people too lazy to work and look what we've got now...

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Catch22] #6826653
04/02/20 07:37 AM
04/02/20 07:37 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Even youngsters working cush office jobs today only want to work 30 hrs a week, with benefits.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: keystone] #6826659
04/02/20 07:45 AM
04/02/20 07:45 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia

Easy enough for you to say until your grocery bill doubles. Is it a good system, probably not but we have gotten kind of used to eating high on the hog in exchange for a forty hour work week with benefits

[Linked Image]
Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Catch22] #6826664
04/02/20 07:52 AM
04/02/20 07:52 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
H2B is also a big component of the commercial beekeeping industry as well. As long as foreign honey, mainly chinese, continues to be dumped at pennies on the dollar US beekeepers will have the cut costs every way possible. It's gotten to the point that honey production is almost a detriment as the price per pound barely meets production costs. This drives down hive counts which drives up pollination rental fees which in turn drive up fruit/nut production costs.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Catch22] #6826665
04/02/20 07:53 AM
04/02/20 07:53 AM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Blue crab and shrimp processing in coastal N.C. relies on H2B workers. Oysters are shucked by them as well. During tourist season, the fill many service jobs needed in summer month.

Tobacco harvest is less labor intensive than when I was a kid but Hispanic men still perform much of the work.

Cucumber and sweet potato harvest in N.C. are dependent upon H2B families. Our local residents no longer wish to work in these jobs, even at $12.80,per hour.

Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Catch22] #6826694
04/02/20 08:20 AM
04/02/20 08:20 AM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Why work when the government will feed you. Hunger incentives ambition.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: warrior] #6826729
04/02/20 08:48 AM
04/02/20 08:48 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.

Easy enough for you to say until your grocery bill doubles. Is it a good system, probably not but we have gotten kind of used to eating high on the hog in exchange for a forty hour work week with benefits [/quote]

Then so be it. It cost what it cost. ,I would just as soon not eat something if the only way it could be procured was by paying someone starvation wages. Its BS. If you can not run a US company by paying US wages, then maybe you oughta rethink your business. Gotta wonder if all these BIG dairies that put the death knell to family farms could done it with out the help of low wage, illegal immigrants. It should not matter where a person came from when it comes to pay.

Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Catch22] #6826738
04/02/20 08:58 AM
04/02/20 08:58 AM
Indiana
K
keystone Offline
trapper
keystone  Offline
trapper
K

Indiana
It would be interesting to look at some of the profit margins from businesses that use the H2B programs. Don’t get me wrong, i’m not saying that there aren’t lazy people, if they started phasing out non deserved welfare i think we would have some laborers coming out of the woodwork!

Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Catch22] #6826740
04/02/20 08:59 AM
04/02/20 08:59 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Depending on the conditions they are coming from some folks consider this an opportunity to get ahead, and better their situation. Have to admire that.

Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Catch22] #6826770
04/02/20 09:16 AM
04/02/20 09:16 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
I worked 16 hrs yesterday, today and tomorrow. When I don't get 16 it's no less than 12hr. It not that they do jobs Americans wont it's that they will do the crap jobs for way less money.

Sure some prices would rise but as also pointed out they can be used by large corporations to run small business out of business.

Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Catch22] #6826777
04/02/20 09:23 AM
04/02/20 09:23 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
I find it odd we are discussing this on a trapper forum, where we all admire the successful trappers, busting butt for 16+ hours a day, doing something most other people would not do for 10X the money we are making.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread