Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Bait and lure formulation books #6822120
03/29/20 06:21 PM
03/29/20 06:21 PM
KY
T
thumper3181 Offline OP
trapper
thumper3181  Offline OP
trapper
T

KY
I've looking for some and I have found a couple from Nick Wyshinski are these any good and do you guys have any suggestions.
Thanks
Frankie

Wfjc
Re: Bait and lure formulation books [Re: thumper3181] #6822325
03/29/20 08:45 PM
03/29/20 08:45 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
his books are good.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Bait and lure formulation books [Re: thumper3181] #6822438
03/29/20 09:58 PM
03/29/20 09:58 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
I've got one of Wyshinski's and Russ Carmen's book, both are good I like Carmen's a little bit more but both have a few tidbits in them worth buying the books for of your just getting started.

Re: Bait and lure formulation books [Re: thumper3181] #6822536
03/29/20 11:26 PM
03/29/20 11:26 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I've got three of Wyshinski's and Carmen's. Carmen's is easier reading (other than a plethora of typos which drive my wife nuts wink ) but some of his info and opinions disagree with Wyshinski's. Wyshinski gives a good overview and is probably more helpful as a basic overview but his "recipes" tend to be like cooking recipes from your grandmother; start out with Y and add enough X until it looks right. Also Wyshinski is mostly geared towards eastern furbearers with a heavy leaning towards coons, beaver, muskrat, with some fox and groundhog thrown in.

In fact I just finished rereading them, and while I like Carmen's better I think Wyshinski's is probably more dependable even though he gives the impression of being much less scientific and exacting in his own lure making.

Re: Bait and lure formulation books [Re: thumper3181] #6823743
03/30/20 10:03 PM
03/30/20 10:03 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Kellen Kaatz also has one that is worth having.

Re: Bait and lure formulation books [Re: bearcat2] #6826333
04/01/20 09:42 PM
04/01/20 09:42 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by bearcat2
I've got three of Wyshinski's and Carmen's. Carmen's is easier reading (other than a plethora of typos which drive my wife nuts wink ) but some of his info and opinions disagree with Wyshinski's. Wyshinski gives a good overview and is probably more helpful as a basic overview but his "recipes" tend to be like cooking recipes from your grandmother; start out with Y and add enough X until it looks right. Also Wyshinski is mostly geared towards eastern furbearers with a heavy leaning towards coons, beaver, muskrat, with some fox and groundhog thrown in.

In fact I just finished rereading them, and while I like Carmen's better I think Wyshinski's is probably more dependable even though he gives the impression of being much less scientific and exacting in his own lure making.

yep, I have them all and agree. Kaatz gives specific ratios/recipes amts.

Using Nicks basic info and metering to your spec shortens ones learning curve greatly

Johnny Thorpes dvd is good as is Leonard Pavek's lil book

I've gotten data from every book on the market

RiversNorth13 posted 13 pages of lure/bait recipes on here but I don't think it made it to the Archives somehow, so if ya can find that it would help greatly too!

I got all books FREE too!

How????…., I circled them in trapping supply catalogs and gave catalogs to loved ones to get my birthday/anniversary/Easter/Christmas gifts.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Bait and lure formulation books [Re: traprjohn] #6827262
04/02/20 04:59 PM
04/02/20 04:59 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Locklear has a pretty good DVD with a lot of info. Old Nick also put out a DVD that was interesting.
Thorpe's DVD on lure making is good.
There are several older books on lure and bait making but I would have to dig them out to remember their names.
Back in the day a lot of older books had some great lure formulas, but that sort of thing has died out. One big name lure maker had a formula in one of his older books that made things dig like crazy. I was surprised he shared it. It was nasty to make but worked great.

Mac

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91