No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: waggler] #6827206
04/02/20 04:04 PM
04/02/20 04:04 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Online happy
trapper
walleyed  Online Happy
trapper
W

Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
Originally Posted by waggler
Do any of you guys know someone including yourself who would like to work on a fish processing ship this summer?
If so, let me know and I can hook you up.

You aren't guaranteed to make much money if the fish run is poor.
If the fish run is big you can expect to work 16 hours a day for a couple of weeks, you may put in one or two 24 hour shifts.
You will live in cramped quarters with several other guys.
The food will generally be okay, but no guarantees.
Your freshwater showers will be limited.
You will get to see Alaska, but only from the water, you won't be able to go to shore.

I would like to volunteer BOCO to sign on to your
Fish Processing Slave Ship.

I will personally "Shanghai" him against his will for duty on your Scow !!

You must promise to keep him away from any computer screen or device
by which he can access trapperman.com

You must be able (unfortunately) be able to put up with his obnoxious,
know-it-all, uppity Canadian attitude.

w

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Teacher] #6827636
04/02/20 09:51 PM
04/02/20 09:51 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Teacher
Hmmmm. The president uses these employable aliens at Mar A Lago. Then complains there are too many in this country. Does he pay a decent wage to his alien workers? We’ll probably never know. He hides his taxes.

Your statements are untrue.

The president actually wants to make it easier for foreign nationals to legally come into the US and fill jobs in the service industry like those at Mar A Lago. He wants to allow more foreign workers in than have been previously allowed. He just wants to make sure the foreign workers come in a controlled and legal manner.

Numerous Trump employees have been interviewed and have been happy with their wages.

It hurts your liberal cause when you tell obvious lies to support it.

Keith

Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: KeithC] #6827642
04/02/20 09:54 PM
04/02/20 09:54 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by KeithC
Originally Posted by Teacher
Hmmmm. The president uses these employable aliens at Mar A Lago. Then complains there are too many in this country. Does he pay a decent wage to his alien workers? We’ll probably never know. He hides his taxes.

Your statements are untrue.

The president actually wants to make it easier for foreign nationals to legally come into the US and fill jobs in the service industry like those at Mar A Lago. He wants to allow more foreign workers in than have been previously allowed. He just wants to make sure the foreign workers come in a controlled and legal manner.

Numerous Trump employees have been interviewed and have been happy with their wages.

It hurts your liberal cause when you tell obvious lies to support it.

Keith

Ouch!

-Goofy-
Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: waggler] #6827647
04/02/20 09:57 PM
04/02/20 09:57 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
H-2B foreign workers are the legal type of foreign works we want; not the illegal type.

These workers are generally the only workers who will take jobs in certain industries. In the Alaska Bristol Bay commercial salmon fishery, a lot, if not most of the process workers are foreigners. They are the only ones who will work the long, grueling hours required by the industry.

A few years ago there was a glitch in the entry system that didn't allow these workers in the USA. The fish processing companies had to try to hire US citizens. It was a disaster, nothing about complaining and work stoppages. These workers knew ahead of time that they would be required to work 16 hours a day during the peak of the season; they refused. A bunch of whiners.

If you think you can handle the work, or know someone who thinks they can, I can steer you in the right direction, but I sure wouldn't recommend it. I am frequently on the processing ships that these poor folks are working on, it really does suck.

I generally like Tucker Carlson, but he does get it wrong once and a while, just like we all do.

Yup

Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: walleye101] #6827663
04/02/20 10:07 PM
04/02/20 10:07 PM
Winona MN
B
Birdman382 Offline
trapper
Birdman382  Offline
trapper
B

Winona MN
Back in the 60's I farmed and had to milk the cows two times a day. By the way I was age 20 and worked for $20.00 a week so we could buy another farm that would be mine someday. Guess what we paid for that farm in two years and it was not mine. Who took advantage of who! Anyway I worked at a canning company near the end of the season when the school kids had to go back to school. I put in 18 and 20 hour day as well as still milked the cows. I made $1.60 per hour and no overtime pay. I did not complain.

Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Catch22] #6827666
04/02/20 10:08 PM
04/02/20 10:08 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline OP
trapper
Catch22  Offline OP
trapper

OH
So yeah, when our unemployment numbers skyrocket lets bring in a ton more, over the allotted amount. Makes sense. crazy

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: waggler] #6827719
04/02/20 10:37 PM
04/02/20 10:37 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Do any of you guys know someone including yourself who would like to work on a fish processing ship this summer?

If the fish run is big you can expect to work 16 hours a day for a couple of weeks, you may put in one or two 24 hour shifts.
You will get to see Alaska, but only from the water, you won't be able to go to shore.

The conditions sound about the same as the fishermen. How do they get guys to work a crab boat, I mean come on, it's dangerous, long hours, no wage guarantee, away from home. It seems to me that all the crabbers and fishermen would be temporary workers as well yet they aren't .

Could it be because they get paid well?

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Steven 49er] #6827755
04/02/20 11:14 PM
04/02/20 11:14 PM
The Panhandle of Alaska
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

The Panhandle of Alaska
Originally Posted by Steven 49er

The conditions sound about the same as the fishermen. How do they get guys to work a crab boat, I mean come on, it's dangerous, long hours, no wage guarantee, away from home. It seems to me that all the crabbers and fishermen would be temporary workers as well yet they aren't .

Fun to read the armchair quarterbacks inquire why our fishing industry is structured as it is. Until you have actually worked in it you won’t get it.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.
Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Steven 49er] #6827843
04/03/20 04:04 AM
04/03/20 04:04 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

They wouldn’t get paid at all if nobody could afford to eat them if processing fell under the same umbrella.

-Goofy-
Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Catch22] #6827873
04/03/20 06:25 AM
04/03/20 06:25 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
I was trying to find a job from noon till one,,with an hour off for lunch,,but best I could do is the job I got now.I get six months paid vacation twice a year. smile

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: Steven 49er] #6827900
04/03/20 07:15 AM
04/03/20 07:15 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska

The fisherman are temporary workers as well. The guy that owns the ship??? Well, at some point someone has to take the risk, step up and buy a ship so he can offer jobs to other people. He takes a big risk to invest so ya, he's gonna make better money. They call that capitalism.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: upstateNY] #6827907
04/03/20 07:21 AM
04/03/20 07:21 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by upstateNY
I was trying to find a job from noon till one,,with an hour off for lunch,,but best I could do is the job I got now.I get six months paid vacation twice a year. smile

A job isn’t something you do what and when, that’s fun.

-Goofy-
Re: Bringing in more foreign workers, disturbing [Re: mad_mike] #6828059
04/03/20 09:40 AM
04/03/20 09:40 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by mad_mike

Fun to read the armchair quarterbacks inquire why our fishing industry is structured as it is. Until you have actually worked in it you won’t get it.

"its fun to read all the arm chair Yankee farmers inquire about why our cotton industry is structured the way it is, until you have lived and worked in it you wont get it"- every southern plantation owner pre emancipation.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread