No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: OT: house inspection.... wtd [Re: adam m] #6827001
04/02/20 12:35 PM
04/02/20 12:35 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline OP
trapper
adam m  Offline OP
trapper
A

nm
Yeah I just told my realtor and friend to walk away from this house. It stinks because we've come a long way to only to start all over. We're both disappointed and frustrated naturally but I'd rather be in a house where I don't have to constantly worry about major issues from the get go

Re: OT: house inspection.... wtd [Re: adam m] #6827065
04/02/20 01:35 PM
04/02/20 01:35 PM
vermont
V
vermontster Offline
trapper
vermontster  Offline
trapper
V

vermont
I inspected a house like that. No termites but improper roofing and flashing. Water leaking around the chimney into the attic. DIY heating system and wiring. Advised my client. He said he talked with the owner and the owner would make the repairs. I said are you sure? The owner doing the work was the original problem. Anyway he purchased the house. Called me six months later and guess what the owners repairs didn’t work. Heating company wants $3000 and roofer wants $2500. I advised him that I had pictures and spelled out all those problems in my inspection report and noted on each item of my concern as per our discussion and as to your reply that the owner was going to make all repairs as noted. I told him to contact his lawyer and realtor as he witnessed our discussion about the noted problems with the house and that I cautioned you about the owner not being qualified to do the repairs as he did the original work. His lawyer was able to get the owner to pay for the repairs. I thought he was going to be stuck paying for the repairs himself. If you don’t feel good about the house walk away especially if the inspection points you in that direction.

The bitterness of poor quality last a lot longer than the sweetness of low price
Re: OT: house inspection.... wtd [Re: adam m] #6827312
04/02/20 05:55 PM
04/02/20 05:55 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline OP
trapper
adam m  Offline OP
trapper
A

nm
Wow that is crazy. I am glad it worked out for him in the end.

Re: OT: house inspection.... wtd [Re: adam m] #6827346
04/02/20 06:23 PM
04/02/20 06:23 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Adam m , I get a lot of people I know have me go with them to look at a used car. I am good at picking out a good one being I have a lot of knowledge in that area.

These friends get SO disappointed when I tell them not to buy a certain car. Big letdown.

Then the next car or car after that is a gem that I encourage them to purchase. They become so , so happy they passed up on the first car which was a piece of junk. They thank me again and again for talking them out of the first car they saw.

This will very likely happen to you , there is a better home out there for you to buy.

As the saying goes ' There are many fish in the ocean '

Keep trying , have faith , it WILL happen.

Last edited by Cragar; 04/02/20 06:24 PM.

NRA benefactor member
Re: OT: house inspection.... wtd [Re: adam m] #6827382
04/02/20 06:55 PM
04/02/20 06:55 PM
iowa
bankrunner Offline
trapper
bankrunner  Offline
trapper

iowa
Do you have to find something immediately or looking to buy in order not to keep renting? If the latter, I would be waiting after this virus clears, sad to say there may be a lot a houses available.

Re: OT: house inspection.... wtd [Re: adam m] #6827476
04/02/20 08:06 PM
04/02/20 08:06 PM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
I'm guessing this "contractor" is the current owner who is flipping the house? If not, why are you dealing with the seller's contractor. Your real estate agent should give the seller's real estate agent the list of repairs that need to be done to seal the deal and you wait for their answer. If you're concerned about the quality of repairs, your offer should spell out the exact scope of work for repairs.

Or, make a low ball offer to buy it as is and fix it all yourself or hire a competent contractor with the savings. But make sure your offer is low enough to provide you with a contingency fund to cover unknowns. I've never been comfortable haggling. I had an uncle who said that if you aren't embarrassed by your offer, you're offer is too high.

-Ryan
Re: OT: house inspection.... wtd [Re: adam m] #6827709
04/02/20 10:28 PM
04/02/20 10:28 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline OP
trapper
adam m  Offline OP
trapper
A

nm
Cragar, that is awesome. I am glad you direct them to a better car. I wish I could have my uncle or a friend go with me to look at houses with me. But often, I have to stop what I am doing to go look since the market is crazy hot right now.

bankrunner I need something asap. We really don't want to waste $8k+ on rent, renting a 2 bed apartment in a decent area is an avg of $1200 mo. I agree there might be a lot of houses coming up, but the rates might sky rocket too.

maintenanceguy, I think the contractor is both seller and contractor. We gave them the reports with a list of repairs. We had to fight just to even consider it. Then yesterday while the 3 of were there more issues were noticed and talked about that inspectors 1) didn't know about, like termites throughout which the contractor slipped and said during remodel he found termites all over (inspection saw live termites in the garage only). 2) Didn't notice. Example; I noticed the overhang issue in the pic last night and the patch job in the ceiling while there, I inquired about the patch and that is when he said the swamp cooler on the roof was leaking for some time and leaked through the ceiling so they patched it. So now I would have to dish out more cash for a complete mold inspection a complete roof inspection neither of which I won't be reimbursed. The access to the attic is very small and the inspectors couldn't get in the attic. From the discussion between the contractor/owner and I had before my realtor got there he likes to cut corners. Cutting corners is ok on some stuff but not on major components like a roof, termite remediation and mold issues.

Re: OT: house inspection.... wtd [Re: adam m] #6827743
04/02/20 10:58 PM
04/02/20 10:58 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Adam-Keep your eyes, ears, and options open and something nicer will come along! Hang in there and good luck!

Moosetrot

Re: OT: house inspection.... wtd [Re: adam m] #6827751
04/02/20 11:08 PM
04/02/20 11:08 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by adam m
Cragar, that is awesome. I am glad you direct them to a better car. I wish I could have my uncle or a friend go with me to look at houses with me. But often, I have to stop what I am doing to go look since the market is crazy hot right now.

Find someone you can trust (even uncle or friend) who can drop things at a moment's notice to look at a house at a moments notice even if you have to grease their palms a hundred or two. They can save you thousands if not tens of thousands.
With Covid19 the real estate market is under going massive changes , very quickly. Open houses are almost a thing of the past , people do not want masses of people through their house right now due to infection potential. New car sales are falling very flat even with very good interest rates.

Hold tight , more opportunities are coming , the market is changing very fast. Google it. Even HOT real estate markets are seeing drastic changes. There is a lot of investors on the sidelines right now waiting for markets to bottom out a bit to pounce. You could get a great deal if you wait and follow their lead and just wait a tiny bit.

Hold tight , wait a bit , you may get a great deal and make other Tman members totally jealous.

I bought my house 30+ years ago , during a lull in the market. Got a good deal. If I told you how cheap I got it because of that , most Tman members would cry BS and not believe it. I made out VERY well. Market timing during downturns are way better than great interest rates or other factors. Plus you can refinance when rates are better. You have a perfect storm coming up , get purchase prices as Covid19 shoves real estate prices down with interest rates at a crazy low. You may never have a better chance to buy a home as prices drop. Give it a little time , you will be a king.

NRA benefactor member
Re: OT: house inspection.... wtd [Re: adam m] #6827788
04/02/20 11:43 PM
04/02/20 11:43 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline OP
trapper
adam m  Offline OP
trapper
A

nm
Thanks everyone I appreciate it very much. I needed that encouragement, I was down earlier.

Re: OT: house inspection.... wtd [Re: adam m] #6827881
04/03/20 06:45 AM
04/03/20 06:45 AM
pennsylvania
R
rick brocious Offline
trapper
rick brocious  Offline
trapper
R

pennsylvania
Do not buy . Hard to tell what other issues there are that you didn't see .

Re: OT: house inspection.... wtd [Re: adam m] #6828130
04/03/20 10:55 AM
04/03/20 10:55 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline OP
trapper
adam m  Offline OP
trapper
A

nm
I didn't buy.

Re: OT: house inspection.... wtd [Re: EdP] #6828338
04/03/20 01:08 PM
04/03/20 01:08 PM
Winona MN
B
Birdman382 Offline
trapper
Birdman382  Offline
trapper
B

Winona MN
Contractor does not know up from down. Run faster.

Re: OT: house inspection.... wtd [Re: adam m] #6828530
04/03/20 03:54 PM
04/03/20 03:54 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline OP
trapper
adam m  Offline OP
trapper
A

nm
I ran and not looking back