No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Dry canning tutorial ***UPDATE*** READ #6829982
04/04/20 04:02 PM
04/04/20 04:02 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline OP
trapper
Catch22  Offline OP
trapper

OH
I have been pressure canning and water bath canning since Mama taught me in the 70's. Dry canning is new to me though. I thought I would do some and then do a tutorial to give everyone a different option to store certain dry goods such as flour, oats, rice , beans etc, especially with the current climate we're in. However, now I must include a disclaimer. After talking with family and friends I received a couple negative comments about dry canning isn't safe. One mentioned botulism. So I researched some more and they're are naysayers.

So, I hope to get responses because I'm doing it because I think it's safe. First, I wash my lids and bands in hot soapy water.
[Linked Image]

Then wash my jars with some bleach added. Then I set them all on a towel to dry overnight.
[Linked Image]

Next day I put jars in the oven and heated it up to 225, then baked them for 20 minutes. I took them out one at a time and filled them with lentils and put them back in oven for 40 minutes more. [Linked Image]
The last 15 minutes I put the lids and bands in. Then I pulled them out, again one at a time. I wiped the rim good with a barely wet paper towel and put the lids and bands on. I set them on a towel, and they all sealed within 2 hours.
[Linked Image]

I'm doing oats next. Again, do this at your own risk. I'm just looking for ways to store food in case this craziness happens again lol. Opinions and questions welcome!

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Dry canning in the oven tutorial [Re: Catch22] #6830002
04/04/20 04:16 PM
04/04/20 04:16 PM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS
That sounds very similar to the way I remember Grandma and the neighbor lady doing it years ago. I remember beans, pasta, rice, and a few other things in the jars. It has been a long time ago, but I think there was other things that they dry canned as well. Grandma lived to be 92 which was 31 years longer than the 6 months doctors gave her after a cancer surgery. Don't believe the canning killed her. laugh
Thank you for posting this, I had kind of forgotten about the dry canning. May have to play with the idea myself.

Re: Dry canning in the oven tutorial [Re: Catch22] #6830015
04/04/20 04:32 PM
04/04/20 04:32 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
My wife just brought up the subject no more than a hour ago. Usually when warm weather gets here the moths generally appear and we want room in the freezer for other things.

Re: Dry canning in the oven tutorial [Re: Catch22] #6830020
04/04/20 04:35 PM
04/04/20 04:35 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
I like seeing how things were done before Tupperware. Thanks!

Cold as ice!
Re: Dry canning in the oven tutorial [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6830363
04/04/20 09:44 PM
04/04/20 09:44 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline OP
trapper
Catch22  Offline OP
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood
That sounds very similar to the way I remember Grandma and the neighbor lady doing it years ago. I remember beans, pasta, rice, and a few other things in the jars. It has been a long time ago, but I think there was other things that they dry canned as well. Grandma lived to be 92 which was 31 years longer than the 6 months doctors gave her after a cancer surgery. Don't believe the canning killed her. laugh
Thank you for posting this, I had kind of forgotten about the dry canning. May have to play with the idea myself.

Yeah, seems it was popular back in the day. I didn't know my Mama did it until talking with my oldest sister a couple days ago. She said her and Gma did a lot of it back in the 40's and 50's. I'm hoping it works out alright.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Dry canning in the oven tutorial [Re: Catch22] #6830476
04/04/20 11:38 PM
04/04/20 11:38 PM
fayette,al.
G
grisseldog Offline
trapper
grisseldog  Offline
trapper
G

fayette,al.
Very interesting, never heard of dry canning
I will have to investigate this.

Re: Dry canning in the oven tutorial [Re: Catch22] #6830505
04/05/20 12:16 AM
04/05/20 12:16 AM
SE Iowa USA
A
AKAjust Offline
trapper
AKAjust  Offline
trapper
A

SE Iowa USA
I bought one of the food saver jar sealers. I tried it on spaghetti, macaroni. instant mashed potatoes.,rice and flour. They all sealed. I had trouble with one unsealing and found one of my jars had a very small crack on the rim.
We aren't much on beans or lentils so I don't know about them.
just

Re: Dry canning in the oven tutorial [Re: AKAjust] #6830602
04/05/20 07:12 AM
04/05/20 07:12 AM
Labrador, Canada
C
crosspatch Offline
trapper
crosspatch  Offline
trapper
C

Labrador, Canada
Yes have heard of oven bottling but passed on it. Use a pressure cooker because, if my research is correct, a pressure cooker gets the temperature above 240. 240 is supposed to be the temperature that kills botulism. Looked into this a few years ago now and would stand corrected if something new has come up since. Have to acknowledge though oven bottling sure is easy looking.

It would be interesting to know what temperatures commercial canners and bottlers require their products to be cooked at in order to meet federal commercial food production standards.

Re: Dry canning in the oven tutorial [Re: Catch22] #6830700
04/05/20 08:50 AM
04/05/20 08:50 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Why can't you just put them in jars and tighten the lids? We do this all the time with no issues. Seems like overkill. Pasta we just leave in the package to store until it is opened and then it goes in a jar. Maybe I am missing something. We don't have bugs in our house either. LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: Dry canning in the oven tutorial [Re: LLtrapper] #6830718
04/05/20 08:57 AM
04/05/20 08:57 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline OP
trapper
Catch22  Offline OP
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by LLtrapper
Why can't you just put them in jars and tighten the lids? We do this all the time with no issues. Seems like overkill. Pasta we just leave in the package to store until it is opened and then it goes in a jar. Maybe I am missing something. We don't have bugs in our house either. LLL

Well, all flour, oats, rice, beans and even pasta can have critters in them, from the manufacturer. Part of the reason to heat in the oven is to kill the critters, the other part is to sterilize which is a controversial topic. Dry canning is not like putting them in a jar and then on the shelf, or even using a vacuum sealer. This is for long term storage, some reports say some foods will last between 10 and 30 years.

Re: Dry canning in the oven tutorial [Re: Catch22] #6830819
04/05/20 09:25 AM
04/05/20 09:25 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Thanks Catch very interesting

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Dry canning in the oven tutorial [Re: Catch22] #6830842
04/05/20 09:44 AM
04/05/20 09:44 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by Catch22
Originally Posted by LLtrapper

Well, all flour, oats, rice, beans and even pasta can have critters in them, from the manufacturer. Part of the reason to heat in the oven is to kill the critters, the other part is to sterilize which is a controversial topic. Dry canning is not like putting them in a jar and then on the shelf, or even using a vacuum sealer. This is for long term storage, some reports say some foods will last between 10 and 30 years.

Don't bugs need air though? I am not knocking what you are doing but just asking a few questions. Who keeps food for thirty years? I keep dried beans over the winter and until new are available in the garden. Some may not garden I am guessing. Again very interesting but never have heard of this and I come from a family that does a lot of canning. LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: Dry canning in the oven tutorial [Re: Catch22] #6830868
04/05/20 09:56 AM
04/05/20 09:56 AM
South Carolina
T
Tom cat Offline
trapper
Tom cat  Offline
trapper
T

South Carolina
Very cool catch!!! Thanks for posting, my mom and I canned years ago, we always hot bathed, but I'm gonna be looking into this method for sure.

Sugarcreektrapping@gmail.com
Re: Dry canning in the oven tutorial [Re: Catch22] #6830874
04/05/20 10:00 AM
04/05/20 10:00 AM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS
This bug talk reminded me of another I remember, cereal. How many of you have poured a bowl of cheerios to see a few weavels crawling in the bowl? We always got the huge cheap bags and this happens, even in the tupperware canisters they go into. I remember Grandma putting her breakfast cereal of all kinds in the dry can jars to keep bugs out until used.

Re: Dry canning in the oven tutorial [Re: Catch22] #6830876
04/05/20 10:02 AM
04/05/20 10:02 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline OP
trapper
Catch22  Offline OP
trapper

OH
Yes, bugs need air. You are killing them with the heat. Vacuum sealers do not remove all oxygen from the sealed bags, some only remove 80%. So if you want to vacuum seal and maybe even throw in some oxygen absorber's it would be a good idea to heat first then allow them to cool, imo.

Not all people garden but even those that do can long term storage certain dry goods and rotate them out as you go along. Power outages, and such happen and if your freezer goes down, you have food in jars. Not all your eggs are in one basket.

This "pandemic" left me feeling caught with my pants down. I always had things canned up and I got lazy. When you have food put up, you don't have to worry about being out there in stores with the nuts lol.

Re: Dry canning in the oven tutorial [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6830879
04/05/20 10:05 AM
04/05/20 10:05 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline OP
trapper
Catch22  Offline OP
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood
This bug talk reminded me of another I remember, cereal. How many of you have poured a bowl of cheerios to see a few weavels crawling in the bowl? We always got the huge cheap bags and this happens, even in the tupperware canisters they go into. I remember Grandma putting her breakfast cereal of all kinds in the dry can jars to keep bugs out until used.

Yep, and a lot of times there are eggs that you can't see. You think your good and a couple weeks later, you got creepy critters crawling lol. Buying in bulk, imo is awesome, but your bug issue increases.

Re: Dry canning in the oven tutorial [Re: Catch22] #6830900
04/05/20 10:24 AM
04/05/20 10:24 AM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS
Yep, the heat killed the eggs and bugs alike. Then you don't have to worry about it until the seal is broken on the jar. I am thinking she kept cereals in 1/2 gallon jars, I do remember they was bigger jars than the other things. May have even been gallon jars, but she passed when I was a pup so it has been a few years.

Re: Dry canning in the oven tutorial [Re: Catch22] #6830986
04/05/20 11:27 AM
04/05/20 11:27 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas

This is a great topic and I just told a friend I'd like to meet (meat) a woman who cans. I end up with too much red meat sole yrs if I froze venison in the fall, then trapped piggies all winter, and suddenly in the spring there is a first calf heifer or 3 that break their pelvis birthing a big baby. I offer the owners half the meat to let me salvage her but most say their freezer is more packed then mine and tell me to just take what I need and dump the skeletons at a brush pile in middle of the section.

I realize red meat would probably not be a good dry can material but it makes me a little sick to see a wild pig under 100# or a beautiful heifer that I put down go to waste

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Dry canning in the oven tutorial [Re: Leftlane] #6830999
04/05/20 11:42 AM
04/05/20 11:42 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline OP
trapper
Catch22  Offline OP
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by Leftlane

This is a great topic and I just told a friend I'd like to meet (meat) a woman who cans. I end up with too much red meat sole yrs if I froze venison in the fall, then trapped piggies all winter, and suddenly in the spring there is a first calf heifer or 3 that break their pelvis birthing a big baby. I offer the owners half the meat to let me salvage her but most say their freezer is more packed then mine and tell me to just take what I need and dump the skeletons at a brush pile in middle of the section.

I realize red meat would probably not be a good dry can material but it makes me a little sick to see a wild pig under 100# or a beautiful heifer that I put down go to waste

Use a pressure cooker to can meat and follow the guidelines. Ain't nothing to mess around with. I've canned meat for over 30 yrs and before that while helping at home. It's awesome when you have it, heat and eat.

Re: Dry canning in the oven tutorial [Re: Catch22] #6831005
04/05/20 11:49 AM
04/05/20 11:49 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
We pressure can a lot of stuff from the garden, and a common practice among old timers was to also can surplus meats. I did that with some beef roast last year and it was a big hit with older relatives on my mother's side. Rekindled memories of their youth. I still have jars of canned beef and chicken on the shelf. Having said that, I had never heard of oven canning dried goods. Interesting concept.

What I have heard of is a similar process used by the Mormons for long term food storage. Instead of the heat of the oven, they use oxygen absorbers.....which are little packets with a very fine iron powder in them. When the jar is sealed, the oxygen gas component left in it reacts with the iron to make iron oxide......rust, which converts the gas to a solid, and in doing so, eliminates the gas from inside the jar.....creating a vacuum. And since the O2 is gone.......about the only gas left is nitrogen, and the bugs and their eggs are killed. The material used to make the oxygen absorber packet lets oxygen in, but the powder can't get out.

And for those who don't know, one of the practices of the Mormon faith is to store food for occasions just like this. Goal is to be able to ride out a year with what you have on hand at any moment in time. That takes some planning.....and they have it down to a science.

I am not Mormon, but liked the idea enough to adopt it small scale. We always have at least a month of food on hand at any given time........and it has been that way for at least 40 years. Evening meals are planned for a month in advance. Cheaper to do it that way and we always know what we are having for dinner. Lady I'm married to may have some faults, but skills as the food service manager is not one of them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread