No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Brightest Headlamps out there that are quality #6831323
04/05/20 04:38 PM
04/05/20 04:38 PM
Alberta Canada
N
nube Offline OP
trapper
nube  Offline OP
trapper
N

Alberta Canada
I do a lot of night checking on my traplines and with the snow at times it can be difficult to see. I have a couple lights that work well but they are hand held and it causes issues only having one hand free. Do any of you guys use real bright head lamps? Got any suggestions of what to look at? Rechargeable would be nice. Even beeter if I could recharge them with a 12 volt cigaret lighter on the skidoo or truck if needs be as well

Re: Brightest Headlamps out there that are quality [Re: nube] #6831385
04/05/20 06:01 PM
04/05/20 06:01 PM
ak
nooksack Offline
trapper
nooksack  Offline
trapper

ak
Nube, I have been using an Acebeam H30 this year and am very pleased with it. Check it out.
Headlamp

Re: Brightest Headlamps out there that are quality [Re: nube] #6831402
04/05/20 06:19 PM
04/05/20 06:19 PM
Michigan
S
swamp Offline
trapper
swamp  Offline
trapper
S

Michigan
Check out Wicked lights. I have the Scanpro and really like it.

Re: Brightest Headlamps out there that are quality [Re: nube] #6831408
04/05/20 06:27 PM
04/05/20 06:27 PM
Indiana
C
concrete man Offline
trapper
concrete man  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
Sunspot is the brightest but about 300.00.

Re: Brightest Headlamps out there that are quality [Re: nube] #6831443
04/05/20 06:58 PM
04/05/20 06:58 PM
St lawrence county, ny
E
Eyehi Offline
trapper
Eyehi  Offline
trapper
E

St lawrence county, ny
I have a slonik rechargeable headlamp that I got last year off amazon ..... I'm very happy with the brightness and quality ....

Re: Brightest Headlamps out there that are quality [Re: nube] #6831450
04/05/20 07:02 PM
04/05/20 07:02 PM
Alberta Canada
N
nube Offline OP
trapper
nube  Offline OP
trapper
N

Alberta Canada
A rechargeable one would be the best I would think. They drain batteries fast I find on a normal one

Re: Brightest Headlamps out there that are quality [Re: nube] #6831466
04/05/20 07:19 PM
04/05/20 07:19 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
depends how far you need to see.

I have a stream light usb rechargeable on a hardhat it could go on a ball cap also but I like it on the hard hat it ratchets so it doesn't droop.

I can do most things outside in the winter with this but it is more of a flood light and had high and low

if you want to see to make sets or dispatch , close work it would be good

if you want to see 50 yards, it won't do that not good for distance , for distance something around 300 lumens is better I have a Rigid light that uses the same batteries as my drill , runs a very long time on that battery 300 lumens spot with some flood . good for lighting up a spot but not so good for hands free work.

I also have a diamond back that uses 3 AAA I use the rechargeable NmHI batteries for it , it has a bit more range than the stream light but no where near the handheld and does well for hands free also red only operation.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Brightest Headlamps out there that are quality [Re: nube] #6831511
04/05/20 07:59 PM
04/05/20 07:59 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Try Fenix, particularly the HP30R, https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hp30r-led-headlamp/ (which I see is currently out of stock) or the HM65R, https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hm65r-rechargeable-headlamp-1400-lumens/

I also have the Acebeam H30, and it may be just a bit brighter than the HM65R, but not by much. I like the Fenix headlamp better because it has one lamp for distance (throw) and a separate lamp for shorter range (flood). Acebeam's claimed 4000 lumens strikes me, after inspecting the output of both lamps, as exaggerated. You should be aware that differences in lumen output are hard to detect by the human eye; you really need a light-meter to tell.

The Acebeam has a larger rechargeable battery than the rechargeable battery used by the Fenix lamps. Theoretically, this should mean a brighter or longer-lasting light. It also means greater weight on the forehead and that the lamp is more likely to wobble when you turn your head. Also, a heavier lamp probably slips off your hat more easily. The lightest of the three headlamps I mention is the HP30R, since it carries no battery in the actual lamp.

The out-of-stock Fenix HP30R is the brightest headlamp I own, and carries two of the same batteries as the single battery that powers the HM65R. So the HP30R should be the longest-lasting of the three headlamps I mention.

The disadvantage of the HP30R (aside from being out of stock) is that it has a separate battery pack connected to the headlamp by a cable. If you think the cable will get in the way, this one probably isn't for you. I just stick the battery pack in a pocket (it also has a belt clip) while riding my ATV or snow machine, and it's no bother to me. I like to carry the HP30R as my primary light and the HM65R as a back-up. I haven't tried the Acebeam in the field, so don't know how long it runs.

You can sometimes find the Acebeam headlamp on sale. Fenix products don't often go on sale, but you get a twenty percent discount on your first order. You can buy an AC cigaret adapter, spare batteries, and a recharger from Fenix. All these headlamps can be recharged in the lamp, but a separate recharger is faster.

All these headlamps are made in China now, I think, and I'm not sure how the virus might be affecting supplies.

Hope this helps. Headlamps are far superior to flashlights, imho, especially when you're working outdoors.

Jim

Last edited by James; 04/05/20 08:01 PM.

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Brightest Headlamps out there that are quality [Re: nube] #6831591
04/05/20 08:53 PM
04/05/20 08:53 PM
Idaho Falls, Idaho
F
Furvor Offline
trapper
Furvor  Offline
trapper
F

Idaho Falls, Idaho
I have used a Fenix light for several years. I highly recommend Fenix.

Mine has adjustable beam and uses 4 AA batteries. I cut and spliced the cord to make it long enough that I could carry the battery pack under my coat in below zero weather.

Last edited by Furvor; 04/06/20 12:20 AM.
Re: Brightest Headlamps out there that are quality [Re: nube] #6831734
04/05/20 10:22 PM
04/05/20 10:22 PM
ak
nooksack Offline
trapper
nooksack  Offline
trapper

ak
Great points James, I have a Fenix flashlight that is also always with me and has enabled me to run on step in the dark back to camp moose hunting. Excellent light.

The Acebeam impressed me this winter as I ran it a lot and at -20 or more most of the time. The buttons are hard to find with mitts but not so much with gloves.I did not have a problem with wobble, or it pulling my hats off.It has some weight but did not bother me, and it was on my head for most of the day minus the daylight chunk in the middle of it. I also wore it at work for 10+ hours a day. I found I did not need the spot light beam my Princeton tec had as the AB was so bright. I also used the ultra low setting most of the time for setting and maintaining traps, or working on the snowmachine.

I did run into a glitch two times, one at low battery and one at nearly -40. The light would just flash a low battery warning and not let me adjust the setting. Unscrewing the battery cap and retightening it solved the problem at the time. I do take an auxiliary battery for charging the headlamp, Inreach, etc. by USB.

There is probably a few better lights, I just ended up with this one first and am happy with it.

Re: Brightest Headlamps out there that are quality [Re: nube] #6831808
04/05/20 11:54 PM
04/05/20 11:54 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
I haven't tried one, but Fenix makes a rechargeable battery designed for cold. https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-arbl18-2900l-cold-resistant-rechargeable-18650-battery/

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Brightest Headlamps out there that are quality [Re: James] #6831829
04/06/20 12:53 AM
04/06/20 12:53 AM
Alberta Canada
N
nube Offline OP
trapper
nube  Offline OP
trapper
N

Alberta Canada
Originally Posted by James
Try Fenix, particularly the HP30R, https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hp30r-led-headlamp/ (which I see is currently out of stock) or the HM65R, https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hm65r-rechargeable-headlamp-1400-lumens/

I also have the Acebeam H30, and it may be just a bit brighter than the HM65R, but not by much. I like the Fenix headlamp better because it has one lamp for distance (throw) and a separate lamp for shorter range (flood). Acebeam's claimed 4000 lumens strikes me, after inspecting the output of both lamps, as exaggerated. You should be aware that differences in lumen output are hard to detect by the human eye; you really need a light-meter to tell.

The Acebeam has a larger rechargeable battery than the rechargeable battery used by the Fenix lamps. Theoretically, this should mean a brighter or longer-lasting light. It also means greater weight on the forehead and that the lamp is more likely to wobble when you turn your head. Also, a heavier lamp probably slips off your hat more easily. The lightest of the three headlamps I mention is the HP30R, since it carries no battery in the actual lamp.

The out-of-stock Fenix HP30R is the brightest headlamp I own, and carries two of the same batteries as the single battery that powers the HM65R. So the HP30R should be the longest-lasting of the three headlamps I mention.

The disadvantage of the HP30R (aside from being out of stock) is that it has a separate battery pack connected to the headlamp by a cable. If you think the cable will get in the way, this one probably isn't for you. I just stick the battery pack in a pocket (it also has a belt clip) while riding my ATV or snow machine, and it's no bother to me. I like to carry the HP30R as my primary light and the HM65R as a back-up. I haven't tried the Acebeam in the field, so don't know how long it runs.

You can sometimes find the Acebeam headlamp on sale. Fenix products don't often go on sale, but you get a twenty percent discount on your first order. You can buy an AC cigaret adapter, spare batteries, and a recharger from Fenix. All these headlamps can be recharged in the lamp, but a separate recharger is faster.

All these headlamps are made in China now, I think, and I'm not sure how the virus might be affecting supplies.

Hope this helps. Headlamps are far superior to flashlights, imho, especially when you're working outdoors.

Jim

Great info!
My main purpose is checking snares at night for coyotes. I like it real bright and flood the area in a wide view if possible. Makes it easier to see snares and catches. I will check out some of the suggestions you mentioned. I just looked at the acebeam H30 and liked it but there might be better options for that price maybe

Re: Brightest Headlamps out there that are quality [Re: nube] #6831834
04/06/20 02:17 AM
04/06/20 02:17 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
The Acebeam H30 is a brighter flood light than the Fenix HM65R. The H30 also has a green and a red light.

If you don't mind the greater size, weight, and price, the H30 may be the lamp for you.

I just compared the two, and the H30 definitely has more flood light than the Fenix.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread