No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New York Study #6852907
04/23/20 08:54 PM
04/23/20 08:54 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline OP
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline OP
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Cuomo reported today that NY did a test on 3000 individuals across the state. The preliminary findings are that 13.9 percent had the coronovirus antibodies.

If that extrapolates out to the whole of New York means about 2.7 million people have been infected and the confirmed death rate will be below 1 percent.

Now these numbers are preliminary and it's too soon to create a concrete conclusion but it's also not an insignificant sample.

Comments?

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: New York Study [Re: Steven 49er] #6852917
04/23/20 09:00 PM
04/23/20 09:00 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Testing 3,000 in a state of 19.5 million seems pretty insignificant to me. Like one tenth of one tenth of 1 percent.

Re: New York Study [Re: Steven 49er] #6852944
04/23/20 09:28 PM
04/23/20 09:28 PM
Perry, NY
D
Dana I Offline
trapper
Dana I  Offline
trapper
D

Perry, NY
And most of NY is rural, my bet is the 3000 tested came from largely metropolitan areas. There is likely a huge difference in infection rates between the two.

Re: New York Study [Re: Steven 49er] #6852967
04/23/20 09:57 PM
04/23/20 09:57 PM
SW Pa
W
wr otis Offline
trapper
wr otis  Offline
trapper
W

SW Pa
Someone in California did a similar study, calculated a high exposure rate and 1percent or lower fatality rate.

Re: New York Study [Re: Steven 49er] #6852992
04/23/20 10:18 PM
04/23/20 10:18 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
My comment is tread lightly. Bringing up statistics and facts gets you labeled a heartless person here. I’ve quit reading about it and working up my traps to catch some worthless fur.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: New York Study [Re: Steven 49er] #6853075
04/23/20 11:27 PM
04/23/20 11:27 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Cuomo reported today that NY did a test on 3000 individuals across the state. The preliminary findings are that 13.9 percent had the coronovirus antibodies.

If that extrapolates out to the whole of New York means about 2.7 million people have been infected and the confirmed death rate will be below 1 percent.

Now these numbers are preliminary and it's too soon to create a concrete conclusion but it's also not an insignificant sample.

Comments?

I'm thinking it got here sooner than they thought.China pukes hid it for quite a while.

Last edited by upstateNY; 04/23/20 11:28 PM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: New York Study [Re: Steven 49er] #6853103
04/23/20 11:44 PM
04/23/20 11:44 PM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
This is the third test of the general population that I've seen in the news in the last 3 days. First was a town in MA. Second was Los Angeles CA. Now NY State. The tests just started becoming available enough to test the general public. This is brand new information and, if these three cities are testing it right, the death rate is between 0.1 and 0.2 percent. Much, much lower than expected. But....that still means 550,000 will be dead in the US by the time everyone gets it.

But, Doctors are getting better at treating this so that death rate will drop as they are able to save more people. New information from just the last few days also seems to suggest that using ventilators is doing more harm than good. The calls for more ventilators wasn't a good one - but nobody knew that at the time. Some of the worst of the worst will need ventilators to keep them alive but I've read reports from two doctors, one who has seen 1,500 covid patients, say that recovery rates would have been better without ventilators for most of those who were given ventilators. I forget the specific reason as the two reports were filled with medical jargon but the bottom line was that ventilators were doing damage to the lungs. Seems that Covid causes a problem with hemoglobin transporting oxygen, not a problem with oxygen getting to the air sacks in the lungs. Ventilators treat the wrong problem.

I've been very frustrated that we didn't seem to have any real information about this virus. I think this is the week where information is finally becoming available.

-Ryan
Re: New York Study [Re: maintenanceguy] #6853170
04/24/20 04:21 AM
04/24/20 04:21 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
This is the third test of the general population that I've seen in the news in the last 3 days. First was a town in MA. Second was Los Angeles CA. Now NY State. The tests just started becoming available enough to test the general public. This is brand new information and, if these three cities are testing it right, the death rate is between 0.1 and 0.2 percent. Much, much lower than expected. But....that still means 550,000 will be dead in the US by the time everyone gets it.

But, Doctors are getting better at treating this so that death rate will drop as they are able to save more people. New information from just the last few days also seems to suggest that using ventilators is doing more harm than good. The calls for more ventilators wasn't a good one - but nobody knew that at the time. Some of the worst of the worst will need ventilators to keep them alive but I've read reports from two doctors, one who has seen 1,500 covid patients, say that recovery rates would have been better without ventilators for most of those who were given ventilators. I forget the specific reason as the two reports were filled with medical jargon but the bottom line was that ventilators were doing damage to the lungs. Seems that Covid causes a problem with hemoglobin transporting oxygen, not a problem with oxygen getting to the air sacks in the lungs. Ventilators treat the wrong problem.

I've been very frustrated that we didn't seem to have any real information about this virus. I think this is the week where information is finally becoming available.

The harm of ventilators isn’t new information. I’d listened to a pulmonologist comment that prolonged ventilation was what was killing people almost four weeks ago, and posted it on here. He stated complications such as cardiomyopathy, sepsis, and heart attacks after patients got better was the reason for their death. It’s been posted numerous times since then. We’ve had positives here. We’ve had deaths. It’s been in the community for at least four weeks now confirmed with no rush of patients.

Facts are places like Sweden that have done nothing but tell sick people and the vulnerable to stay home will come out much better. We’ve essentially shut down an entire country and healthcare system other than the hardest hit states. People with chronic conditions or potential chronic conditions aren’t getting preventative healthcare, healthcare systems are bleeding money which will affect a large number of rural citizens health soon.

My mother works in one of the largest hospitals in the areas emergency room as a provider. She’s not worried about the virus. She’s more worried about the mental health of people. Suicide has spiked, police calls for mental health up 30%. City of a quarter million people with two covid patients that are critical, hundreds of positives, and they just celebrated a 91 year old leaving the hospital after covid.

I always hear these people that have died aren’t just numbers, they’re people. That’s correct and I’m not saying their death was a small thing. I’m saying that not all parts of the country are the same, and this massive shutdown is going to kill many more people due to mental health issues, lack of preventative care, and being stuck at home with little exercise or ambition.

This country just rolled over and let it happen. Millions of people with heart disease, diabetes, and other chronic conditions just cast to the side for a few months for this virus. It would only make sense we’ll see a spike in all their deaths when this is over as we’ve been told to hide at home and watch the TV for your daily updates from your governors.

I could go on and on. Covid is a serious issue. The problem is we have a lot of serious health issues in this country. My opinion is the media picked a champion and are riding it into the sunset. If nothing else I hope this opens the countries eyes to other health issues they’ve never thought about.

Re: New York Study [Re: Steven 49er] #6853180
04/24/20 05:34 AM
04/24/20 05:34 AM
Toboso, Ohio
V
VermillionCoon Offline
trapper
VermillionCoon  Offline
trapper
V

Toboso, Ohio
Wade Ryan - thank you. I have been reading your posts on other threads and recognize your perspective of this entire matter is rooted in both first hand healthcare knowledge as well as common sense. When this started everyone thought.... ok maybe 2-4 weeks and this will pass. The collateral impacts will be real but but we can ride it out. What has changed? Time! It is clear there is no hard end to this. Things are being learned/understood by the day. What is clear now is that there will be more pain and suffering long term from the collateral impacts than likely from the disease itself. My personal daily stress levels trying to keep people working remotely only to see the cliff within two weeks of where there is no work. This has already happened to millions with the fall out to hit tens of millions more as time marches in. I have been in heated arguments with family members about this topic. It all rests on perspective to the elderly and those with health problems that get the elevated fear level. For others the fearful time is coming. The shear loss of life or for that matter shortened lives on the horizon from a stress, lack of money to pursue proper healthcare is the true catastrophe. This feels like the earthquake/tsunami scenario. The scary quake hits and folks bunker down...it’s only after the quake is over that the tsunami hits where the massive loss of life and damage occurs in effect it was the ancillary impacts of the catastrophe that are greater. And possibly the greatest impact to a generation from this will be the simple fear within folks that will always put a cloud over their life. This will be small blip in the history of humanity in direct impacts from the virus but the after affect will be with us for decades. My two cents.

Re: New York Study [Re: VermillionCoon] #6853194
04/24/20 06:13 AM
04/24/20 06:13 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by VermillionCoon
Wade Ryan - thank you. I have been reading your posts on other threads and recognize your perspective of this entire matter is rooted in both first hand healthcare knowledge as well as common sense. When this started everyone thought.... ok maybe 2-4 weeks and this will pass. The collateral impacts will be real but but we can ride it out. What has changed? Time! It is clear there is no hard end to this. Things are being learned/understood by the day. What is clear now is that there will be more pain and suffering long term from the collateral impacts than likely from the disease itself. My personal daily stress levels trying to keep people working remotely only to see the cliff within two weeks of where there is no work. This has already happened to millions with the fall out to hit tens of millions more as time marches in. I have been in heated arguments with family members about this topic. It all rests on perspective to the elderly and those with health problems that get the elevated fear level. For others the fearful time is coming. The shear loss of life or for that matter shortened lives on the horizon from a stress, lack of money to pursue proper healthcare is the true catastrophe. This feels like the earthquake/tsunami scenario. The scary quake hits and folks bunker down...it’s only after the quake is over that the tsunami hits where the massive loss of life and damage occurs in effect it was the ancillary impacts of the catastrophe that are greater. And possibly the greatest impact to a generation from this will be the simple fear within folks that will always put a cloud over their life. This will be small blip in the history of humanity in direct impacts from the virus but the after affect will be with us for decades. My two cents.

Indeed everyone wants to talk about the Spanish flu and how many people died. I see it over and over again about the second wave of the Spanish flu that killed people. No one wants to talk about the Great Depression. How many people died due to the economic woes that came with it? It would be rather hard to show that in numbers but common sense tells me that a large number of people lost their lives during that time directly related to the economy.

What about World War II, what was one of the main driving factors behind it? The Great Depression has been cited as being one of the main components leading up to it. 75 million people died directly related to WWII. There's been 192,000 worldwide deaths due to Covid-19. Once again I want to point out that I am not heartless or suggesting the elderly or those with co-morbid conditions have less of a right to live. I also know that those 192,000 people would rather be alive than dead right now. What I am saying is if people would look at this from a global perspective rather than focusing on one demographic of people we have a lot of bumpy roads ahead.

I've been told I am selfish at times for saying that the economical impacts are going to kill more people than Covid-19. Those of you that say we should all stay in place for the greater good of humanity and to not spread the virus. Do you have a company coming by your house to pick up your trash? Do you have a store where you can purchase food? Do you have electricity running to your house? Do you have an attendant at the gas station you're filling up your vehicles? Why are all of those "essential" workers live's less important then you're own so you can be comfortable at home for the greater good of society? Let's face it in the United States in a large portion of the country you can't just walk out and survive like people have in years past. It could be said that those asking 99% of society to shutdown to save 1% of the country could be selfish. I won't say it. It's your life and I have no bearing on how it is ran.

Everyone is waiting for this miracle "cure," and I hate to always be the bearer of bad news but there isn't going to be a cure for Covid-19. Thankfully, studies are coming out rather quickly showing that this isn't the monster everyone has made it out to be. We might get hit with a second wave when everything opens up but honestly that's the only way this virus is going to be slowed. We can't just bunker down inevitably. It's just not realistic.

Unfortunately, I believe it's too late. No matter what decision is made now the economic impacts are going to be severe and people are going to die. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I'm not heartless, I'm not saying that those lives lost to Covid are meaningless, I'm not selfish, but I am a realist. I worry about the future of the United States more so for my children's future than my own. I've accepted mortality and I am not even that old.

Re: New York Study [Re: WadeRyan] #6853196
04/24/20 06:17 AM
Southeast Ohio
amspoker Offline
trapper
amspoker  Offline
trapper

Southeast Ohio
Originally Posted by WadeRyan
[

Facts are places like Sweden that have done nothing but tell sick people and the vulnerable to stay home will come out much better. We’ve essentially shut down an entire country and healthcare system other than the hardest hit states. People with chronic conditions or potential chronic conditions aren’t getting preventative healthcare, healthcare systems are bleeding money which will affect a large number of rural citizens health soon.

I too have been following Sweden, but they have taken precautions actually.

"Sweden’s government has advocated working from home if at all possible and to avoid nonessential travel and social contact with the elderly. Meanwhile, restaurants, bars, cafes and nightclubs have been offering seated table service only, and gatherings of more than 50 people have been banned. Yet schools for under 16-year-olds have remained open and life has generally carried on as before, just at a quieter pace."

They did all this with the media undermining them continually. Ohio and Sweden have comparable populations. Sweden, through their more moderate approach, is having manageable amounts of cases. I hope their model holds up because Ohio's infected numbers are so low I think we could have a resurgence when they open things back up. Instead of a total shut down, we could follow Sweden's model.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/no-...rce=sharebar%7Cfacebook&par=sharebar

Levi
Re: New York Study [Re: Steven 49er] #6853197
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Well said. Thank you.

Re: New York Study [Re: Steven 49er] #6853198
04/24/20 06:18 AM
04/24/20 06:18 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Armspoker, precautions and shutdown. Two different things.

A quote from an article:
"Sweden opted for a calmer – and highly controversial – approach led by the state epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell. Instead of draconian lockdown, social distancing is a matter of self-regulation. Citizens were instructed to use their judgment, and to take individual responsibility within a framework that rested on mutual trust, rather than top-down control."

Facts: The United States is losing 152 people per million to Covid-19 if you don't even consider the fact that some of those deaths might not be directly due to Covid. Sweden is losing right at 200 people per million. Only 48 more people per million than the United States. Sweden has lost a total of 2,021 people out of 10.5 million.

I'm not sure how it ever would be measured but common sense tells me Sweden overall will come out of this Covid-19 far ahead of the United States in relation to loss and difficulty of life,

Last edited by WadeRyan; 04/24/20 06:33 AM.

Re: New York Study [Re: WadeRyan] #6853201
04/24/20 06:25 AM
04/24/20 06:25 AM
Southeast Ohio
amspoker Offline
trapper
amspoker  Offline
trapper

Southeast Ohio
Originally Posted by WadeRyan
Armspoker, precautions and shutdown. Two different things.

I agree.

But Sweden has a more extensive plan than you insinuated. The media has tried to portray them as wreckless, when it seems they had a well thought out approach, rather than the fear driven, total shut down that everyone else chose.

Which may have been appropriate in New York city, but not Nebraska.

Levi
Re: New York Study [Re: Steven 49er] #6853203
04/24/20 06:28 AM
04/24/20 06:28 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
At least you're going to finally admit a total shutdown of the entire country was not in our best interest.

Re: New York Study [Re: Steven 49er] #6853206
04/24/20 06:32 AM
04/24/20 06:32 AM
Southeast Ohio
amspoker Offline
trapper
amspoker  Offline
trapper

Southeast Ohio
I said we'd talk later.

It's later, we're talking.

I'm on your side, even when may disagree with you. That goes for everyone here.

Last edited by amspoker; 04/24/20 06:33 AM.

Levi
Re: New York Study [Re: amspoker] #6853208
04/24/20 06:47 AM
04/24/20 06:47 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by amspoker
I said we'd talk later.

It's later, we're talking.

I'm on your side, even when may disagree with you. That goes for everyone here.

We sure are! I hope nothing more than happiness for the entire trapperman crew. I can't say I wish ill health on anyone. This is the first season upcoming in three years I haven't been furthering my education and if I'm allowed out of the house I intend to bring as many critters home as I can get my hands on in three months.

My social isolation plan which has been extensively thought out overnight: Go get a hold of the 100's of traps I haven't had time to touch since December and prepare for a wild season.

Re: New York Study [Re: Steven 49er] #6853220
04/24/20 06:59 AM
04/24/20 06:59 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Im just a part time trapper and part time truckdriver. Uneducated . Not even much high school. I have come to trust my own judgement. First couple weeks I stayed home, avoided contact with anyone outside my home. After two weeks the homeless were not dropping like flies in a DDT cloud and the incarcerated were all still doing whatever the incarcerated do.

I quit worrying about the virus and started worrying about the over reaction to it. I am still worried about that. Especially the idea in everyone heads that ANYONE in government can suspend the constitution. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that all the 2A or else crowd on here just folded up like moldy cardboard in a 20mph wind.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: New York Study [Re: Steven 49er] #6853225
04/24/20 07:06 AM
04/24/20 07:06 AM
Nebraska
Poorcoon Offline
trapper
Poorcoon  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I have little education money or power myself. But I felt since the beginning and still feel like this is the stupidest reaction I've ever seen in my life to literally anything! In about a month, they're done away with capitalism the Constitution and taking one giant leap into the next 57 steps of socialism And people's lives are being destroyed. . People Die, always have, I don't See what the big deal is.

"Nothing I like to do pays well." True Grit

"Revenge is in the hands of God, not mine." Revenant.
Re: New York Study [Re: Steven 49er] #6853228
04/24/20 07:10 AM
04/24/20 07:10 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread