No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: BillyTraps] #6856083
04/26/20 08:36 PM
04/26/20 08:36 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
I feal sorry for those workers in the plants, with 100% humidity, it is a cest pool for the virus to spread between people.
Chicken processing is geared to a certain size bird to fit on the line and get processed and packaged. Ever wonder why they are priced @ $5 and the next size up is @ $ 8 by a certain large chain, so that every bird is within a pound, the wrapping etc is all pre-formed to go down the line. Only so much can be waste because the processing into dog food can only take so much per hour

Take a seat Catch 22 and absorb something from Choo

Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: hunter88] #6856089
04/26/20 08:43 PM
04/26/20 08:43 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by hunter88
Companies selling cheap or giving boxed processed chicken to people is great. But when you're talking about 2 million live birds it's totally different. Yes there are probably many here that could take live chickens and process them, but the average person wouldn't have any idea what to do.

When you don't have enough people to run the line, the line has to close down, it's simple at that.

What is as simple as, the companies that don't offer a shot for anyone. We are in tough times for sure. But the companies who try there best to secure us poor boys, do it with heart instead of digging holes first and waiting for a check. I'm one of those poor boys that will be blessed with chicken quarters for less then 50 cents a pound come Thursday.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: Northof50] #6856094
04/26/20 08:48 PM
04/26/20 08:48 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by Northof50
I feal sorry for those workers in the plants, with 100% humidity, it is a cest pool for the virus to spread between people.
Chicken processing is geared to a certain size bird to fit on the line and get processed and packaged. Ever wonder why they are priced @ $5 and the next size up is @ $ 8 by a certain large chain, so that every bird is within a pound, the wrapping etc is all pre-formed to go down the line. Only so much can be waste because the processing into dog food can only take so much per hour

How bout what you do, which is the opinion of so many Americans, you take a rumble seat. It's gotten beyond you Canucks falsely posting on what you think is happening in the USA. Your ridiculous!

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: BillyTraps] #6856103
04/26/20 08:58 PM
04/26/20 08:58 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
The hidden information in this is, these are Mexicans, who have replaced Black Americans in these jobs. They are carrying plague out of Mexico in the last wave of
"Visa" workers which were imported. South Dakota got one of the invaders and one Mexican infected 1600 other Mexicans in Sioux Falls, and those Mexicans dispersed into Nebraska and now their numbers are spiking.
PBS did a documentary on these poultry operations which are corporate, and it was hideous the footage of Mexicans abusing the birds. They kicked them like footballs and dragged them around. This was not some PETA footage, but a legitimate capture of what these 3rd world imports treat animals like. I can not post here what they do to horses, because they had to close the stables in San Antonio over it.
These chickens being gassed is the most humane thing which can be done. For all America, I hope that this virus ends these corporate animal farming. That would end these 3rd world abusers, and return our meat supplies to America and Canadian origins in State and Province operations.
America grew up with a cheap food policy. Family farmers were told that they could not be paid the prices that corporate is now, but as soon as the small farmers were wiped out, corporate appeared, and the prices have been going up ever since.
I was listening to an old farmer before this virus broke, and he said his dairy was 40 cows, and he still had cows 11 to 16 years old producing. The 5000 cow operation down the road, burns their cows out on high corn diets in 3 years. A guy mentioned to me he was out on the big operation and the cows were standing in manure belly deep.
America needs an affordable food policy and a return to the General Nelson Miles government vision for America, which had millions of Americans on small farms and orchards and earning an affordable wage. It was policy in 1880 to dam up all the rivers and make the arid states all garden of edens.
This virus is exposing what is wrong not with Americans, but the few who hijacked this country for their own interests.

Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: Northof50] #6856138
04/26/20 09:25 PM
04/26/20 09:25 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA

Northof50 your logic is not supported by facts. Mexicans are infected in hog and beef slaughterhouses, without the high humidity and close quarters in South Dakota, Missouri and Wisconsin. Mexicans are infected, because of their lack of hygiene. The statistics in South Dakota had workers spreading it to their women and children, without the high humidity which you claim exists. It has to do what the Mexican exists like by choice.
Furthermore there is OSHA which monitors businesses with regulations, and the fact that most of these Mexicans are unionized, and the Unions would not allow 100% humidity. Unions raised cane with Smithfield China for paying bonuses to keep workers working. If there was any bad working conditions, the Unions would have called the federal government in.
Industry standards are not for poultry alone, but from Canadian boxed beef to count size in fruit For chickens it is not poundage alone, the driving factor is the Cornish X develops joint problems if it lives beyond 8 weeks. In raising them, I have watched them die of heart attacks at 12 weeks. The pet food industry is the recipient of these 'canners and cutters" as they are referred to in the large livestock industry. From the scent and blood in numbers of market poultry, inspection is not that close in these Mexican employed plants, as dead chickens are processed for human consumption as are the live ones.
Your generalization of packaging is just that. Not all chickens are processed whole, most are not. The reason there are specials on thighs and legs, is because the white meat is processed for the more expensive nuggets and strips market. The "breasts" packaged in bulk, are production seconds, with old laying hens. It is why those packages have tender meat and some that requires a knife to cut.
As for the floor sweepings, in what they end up in ground meats, no one wants to know what Mexicans have been walking around all day.

I did a search for CANADIAN MEAT PROCESSORS, FOREIGN WORKERS, and these three links appeared first. Canada has it's own problems and the Trudeau plague carriers will bring the same visitation on Canada.

Keeping Canadians and workers in the food supply chain ...
[Search domain www.canada.ca/en/agriculture-agri-food/news/2020/04/keeping-canadians-and-workers-in-the-food-supply-chain-safe.html] https://www.canada.ca/en/agricultur...rkers-in-the-food-supply-chain-safe.html
Temporary foreign workers play an important role in the Canadian economy with approximately 50,000 to 60,000 foreign agricultural, food and fish processing workers coming to work in Canada each year, which accounts for more than 60% of all foreign workers entering Canada under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
Canada announces 3-year permanent residence pilot for ...

[Search domain www.cicnews.com/2019/07/canada-announces-3-year-permanent-residence-pilot-for-eligible-agri-food-workers-0712507.html] https://www.cicnews.com/2019/07/can...-eligible-agri-food-workers-0712507.html
Temporary foreign workers with experience in Canada's agri-food sector will have a new pathway to Canadian permanent residence starting in early 2020. The three-year Agri-Food Immigration Pilot will help retain experienced, non-seasonal foreign workers with eligible job offers in Canada's agricultural and agri-foods industry.
URGENT: More temporary foreign workers needed | Canadian ...

[Search domain www.canadiancattlemen.ca/features/urgent-more-temporary-foreign-workers-needed/] https://www.canadiancattlemen.ca/features/urgent-more-temporary-foreign-workers-needed/
There was no limit on the number of temporary foreign workers before 2014. "Typically, the number of temporary foreign workers in a meat plant would rise during an expansion of capacity and then trend downward from the peak as the majority of temporary foreign workers would be accepted as permanent residents," Davidson explains.

Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: Catch22] #6856146
04/26/20 09:27 PM
04/26/20 09:27 PM
West Virginia
C
Choo Offline
trapper
Choo  Offline
trapper
C

West Virginia
Catch 22 i will say i don't know your plant and perhaps you have a better understanding of it then i do when it comes to what they are capable of. I can tell you that the pilgrams pride plant is an absolute marvel of efficiency. Has anyone thought about what it takes to kill 400,000 birds in two 8 hour shifts? The plants are almost complete mechanized. Every bird is killed de feathered, gutted and hearts and gizzards removed by mechanization. Everybird is weighed as it goes across the rail at a fairly fast rate. Each company, chick-fil-a, wendy, kfc, hardees, all have orders for specific weights of birds. By specific i mean it can be to the quarter pound. Each bird is kicked off the rail at a specific location depending on its weight that was recorded at the beginning. While you may think otherwise many of these plants are designed to handle a certain size animal anything over that doesn't fit. Same goes for beef plants. while it may not be something you are worried about the industry also has to think about consumer experience. As that bird matures that eating quality of that bird changes. Fat to lean ratio, tenderness, water hold capacity. All things that go into what your experience at the dinner plate. At one time i believe the figure for the beef industry was that one bad eating experience cost the industry close to a $100.00. You are asking an industry to process millions of dollars worth of product so that locals may or may not purchase it. There is a lot going on right now, the situation is unlike anything we have ever experienced. I wont lie i think there is some dirty business going on right now, but is that the case across the board? I don't think so, there are always going to be bad people out there. Just like the trapping industry, i bet everyone knows someone who you wish wasn't in it. We have no way of adjusting to theses demand curves on a dime. People are purchasing products and quantities like they have never done before. We are not going to run out of food. The American farmer feeds the world, while everyone is sitting at home their still milking cows, calving cows,planting crops, and doing what they do best for pennies on the dollar. Those birds wont go to waste they'll be dog food or some other protein source. You can rest assured there are 2.2 million chicks getting ready to hatch to take their place and they will be ready to harvest before memorial day for you to enjoy on your grill. Just remember if we expect others to not jump to conclusions about bad stories and half facts in the media we should show the same respect.

Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: Catch22] #6856181
04/26/20 10:00 PM
04/26/20 10:00 PM
Nebraska
H
hunter88 Offline
Government Troll
hunter88  Offline
Government Troll
H

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Catch22
Originally Posted by hunter88
Companies selling cheap or giving boxed processed chicken to people is great. But when you're talking about 2 million live birds it's totally different. Yes there are probably many here that could take live chickens and process them, but the average person wouldn't have any idea what to do.

When you don't have enough people to run the line, the line has to close down, it's simple at that.

What is as simple as, the companies that don't offer a shot for anyone. We are in tough times for sure. But the companies who try there best to secure us poor boys, do it with heart instead of digging holes first and waiting for a check. I'm one of those poor boys that will be blessed with chicken quarters for less then 50 cents a pound come Thursday.

So what do you think they should do with 2 million live birds and not enough people to run the production line so they could be slaughtered?

Like I said it's great you could buy chicken quarters, I'm sure they can find lots of people that are willing to take processed chicken quarters. Finding a home for processed food is easy, finding a home for live chickens is totally different.

It's a little tougher to find a person that would take a half dozen live chickens, or better yet 333,000 people that would each take 6 chickens, because that's how many you would need.

Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: BillyTraps] #6856214
04/26/20 10:31 PM
04/26/20 10:31 PM
Eastern Shore, MD
J
JoMiBru Offline
trapper
JoMiBru  Offline
trapper
J

Eastern Shore, MD
Popcorn reading material. You guys ever been in a chicken house or processing facility? This is a real situation, and just another example how COVID has trickled down into EVERY industry.

BTW , Absolutely no way to distribute these birds to general public. Go ahead and line that up. Liability, logistics, etc.

I’m a grain farmer and this is affecting us at the feed mills as far as grain value/demand. I personally know of two poultry farms where this has occurred in 6+ houses (24,000 birds per house). They aren’t proud, they’d shake their heads at some of these comments being made.

Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: BillyTraps] #6856222
04/26/20 10:37 PM
04/26/20 10:37 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
I don't see that situation here, workers are processing. You all are not providing anything. Just sit back and gather a check I reckon huh.

Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: JoMiBru] #6856225
04/26/20 10:41 PM
04/26/20 10:41 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by JoMiBru
Popcorn reading material. You guys ever been in a chicken house or processing facility? This is a real situation, and just another example how COVID has trickled down into EVERY industry.

BTW , Absolutely no way to distribute these birds to general public. Go ahead and line that up. Liability, logistics, etc.

I’m a grain farmer and this is affecting us at the feed mills as far as grain value/demand. I personally know of two poultry farms where this has occurred in 6+ houses (24,000 birds per house). They aren’t proud, they’d shake their heads at some of these comments being made.

BS, if you have a product sell it. To often you all cry to the sky and sit back waiting on your subsidy check. Different times call for different measures. Eat your dag on popcorn.

Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: BillyTraps] #6856265
04/26/20 11:13 PM
04/26/20 11:13 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Hey Catch22 what is happening to the French fry industry,
got any solutions to that.

Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: Northof50] #6856272
04/26/20 11:21 PM
04/26/20 11:21 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Hey Catch22 what is happening to the French fry industry,
got any solutions to that.

Hey whatever, I'm buying them fine here. Problems in Canuck land???

Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: BillyTraps] #6856298
04/26/20 11:57 PM
04/26/20 11:57 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I would guess that any type of food or beverage that is more commonly served at a restaurant or cafeteria, than at peoples' homes, is overly abundant right now. French fry sales have got to be really hurting right now. Imagine the millions of little cartons of milk that are no longer being consumed daily in schools.

Keith

Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: Catch22] #6856443
04/27/20 08:18 AM
04/27/20 08:18 AM
eastern washinghton
70sdiver Offline
trapper
70sdiver  Offline
trapper

eastern washinghton
Originally Posted by Catch22
Originally Posted by 70sdiver
Going with Choo on this one as he is right on.Staring this week you’ll see some of the highest beef prices you’ve ever seen and at the same time our farmers are getting killed with low prices.beef,pork,and chickens that are ready for market and not enough people to process them so it’s a supply and demand issue at this point.To much supply for the packers to process,unbelievable demand at the grocery stores but no way to fulfill the grocers demand.I know everyone on here kills and raises everything(sure) but for the masses it’s gonna be a long 3 months.

So you too don't support the companies that are giving what they got and are selling what they can to the consumer? You sound like, and choo does too, like the growers should just sit back and screw over the public and wait patiently for a Gov't check.

I’m all for companies giving away what they got it’s up to them.how do you feel the growers are screwing over the public? They would have to give away live beef,hogs and chickens to the public,do you think joe public could kill and process any of these animals lol.I know lots of farmers and I don’t see them waiting on a government check ,what I see is them trying to survive what’s happening right now.

Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: BillyTraps] #6856448
04/27/20 08:23 AM
04/27/20 08:23 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I wonder how many employees are taking advantage of the "enhanced" unemployment benefits rather than working?

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: BillyTraps] #6856451
04/27/20 08:27 AM
04/27/20 08:27 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
hunter88 I would take a hundred meat chickens ready to butcher if price was reflective of product. When I was a kid we butchered a hundred at a time. Was a family effort. I got grandkids now. They can pull wet feathers and those stinking guts. I already had my turn grin

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: danny clifton] #6856452
04/27/20 08:28 AM
04/27/20 08:28 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by danny clifton
I wonder how many employees are taking advantage of the "enhanced" unemployment benefits rather than working?

****This is America, where everybody does the right thing.****

-Goofy-
Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: danny clifton] #6856471
04/27/20 09:01 AM
04/27/20 09:01 AM
Nebraska
H
hunter88 Offline
Government Troll
hunter88  Offline
Government Troll
H

Nebraska
Originally Posted by danny clifton
hunter88 I would take a hundred meat chickens ready to butcher if price was reflective of product. When I was a kid we butchered a hundred at a time. Was a family effort. I got grandkids now. They can pull wet feathers and those stinking guts. I already had my turn grin

Yeah years ago I butchered more then a few chickens for the freezer, but today a little older and only myself to feed, if they offered me a dozen free chickens I'd say thanks but no thanks. I'd rather be on the lake fishing then cleaning chickens.

It's sad to see 2 million chickens go to waste, but there's no way you'd find enough people to take them. Wouldn't you hate to be the guys making the garbage run in that area. 2 million chickens would make for a lot of wet feathers and chicken guts. Then the company would end up being sued because someone didn't know what they were doing, got e coli, and sued the company with the chickens for giving them live birds with e coli. That's why grocery stores throw away thousands of pounds of food each month, because if they tried to be nice and give it away, somewhere down the line they'd get sued. That's today's society, unfortunately.

Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6856472
04/27/20 09:02 AM
04/27/20 09:02 AM
MO
cfowler Offline
trapper
cfowler  Offline
trapper

MO
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
****This is America, where everybody does the right thing.****

Lots of people live in America. Not many of them Real Americans.

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: 2 million chickens will be killed [Re: BillyTraps] #6856566
04/27/20 11:07 AM
04/27/20 11:07 AM
Eastern Shore, MD
J
JoMiBru Offline
trapper
JoMiBru  Offline
trapper
J

Eastern Shore, MD
Catch22 you seem to have the solution. Here ya go, I’ll get your ball rolling. You seem to have plenty of time on your hands and a know-it-all attitude.

Perdue : 410-543-3650

Mountaire: 302-988-6200

Tyson: 757-824-3471

Allen: 302-684-1640

Amick: 302-846-9511

Make some calls to these poultry processing plants and coordinate donating their chickens. I’m sure they’d like to hear your Cuomo-like ideas. I live close to these facilities, you can camp out in my yard. While you’re here you can take a try at farming, see how far these “subsidy” checks get you.
Sit and spin bud, sit and spin.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread