No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857260
04/28/20 08:20 AM
04/28/20 08:20 AM
Western Wisconsin
T
TraderVic Offline
trapper
TraderVic  Offline
trapper
T

Western Wisconsin

FWIW, meat inspection on "kill floors" at meat processing facilities, large and small, is for food safety reasons, the benefit of the consumer.

Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857286
04/28/20 09:04 AM
04/28/20 09:04 AM
NW Oklahoma
O
Okie Farmer Offline
trapper
Okie Farmer  Offline
trapper
O

NW Oklahoma
Too many here willing to depend on the government and big business to keep them safe, how many food born illness breakouts have we had in the last 10 years? Yes we need some form of inspection for meat being processed for sale but why does it have to be a USDA inspector?

The inspector on the kill floor is a long way from the finished product, potentially hundreds of miles the way beef is broken down and handled at this time.

Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857304
04/28/20 09:35 AM
04/28/20 09:35 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Should be legal to butcher livestock you raise, and sell the meat, without any government interference. There wont be any more diseases show up from eating that meat than show up in meat from big packing houses that are inspected.

The big corporate processors, you know, the ones creating a "shortage" and talking about producers not being able to ship because they are shutting down plants, know this to be true. They just want to hang on to their monopoly of both price paid for livestock and price paid for the butchered meat.

Those big packing houses do need inspected. The guy feeding out 100 head of calves does not. The guy butchering what he raises wont sell much if his facility is not clean and his animals fat and healthy.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: warrior] #6857315
04/28/20 09:46 AM
04/28/20 09:46 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by warrior
Originally Posted by Boco
When I sell wild meat here I have to give a note with it to the buyer stating it has not been inspected,thats it.Its up to him to check it before he eats it.
Wild meat bought like that is for personal use only.

Selling wild meat is forbidden across most if not all of the US. A holdover of our establishment of game laws was the blanket prohibition on market hunting.

You can kind of sell wild game here in Wisconsin. We have tons of wild game feeds served at clubs and bars. Just need a permit.

Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: danny clifton] #6857340
04/28/20 10:08 AM
04/28/20 10:08 AM
Western Wisconsin
T
TraderVic Offline
trapper
TraderVic  Offline
trapper
T

Western Wisconsin
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Should be legal to butcher livestock you raise, and sell the meat, without any government interference. There wont be any more diseases show up from eating that meat than show up in meat from big packing houses that are inspected.

The big corporate processors, you know, the ones creating a "shortage" and talking about producers not being able to ship because they are shutting down plants, know this to be true. They just want to hang on to their monopoly of both price paid for livestock and price paid for the butchered meat.

Those big packing houses do need inspected. The guy feeding out 100 head of calves does not. The guy butchering what he raises wont sell much if his facility is not clean and his animals fat and healthy.

Well, then go arrange wirh a producer and go for it !! How long you going to hang your carcass (safely) to tenderize it, then where are you going to cut and wrap ?
Yep, knock yourself out.

Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857346
04/28/20 10:22 AM
04/28/20 10:22 AM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
What do you all think a usda inspector does at a plant? Vs what the state inspectors do at your local grocery store?
Just wondering how many actually know what they do?

Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857347
04/28/20 10:24 AM
04/28/20 10:24 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
People might not want to do it this way but if you cut it up fresh, you can wet age or dry age the meat at home .

Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: SNIPERBBB] #6857352
04/28/20 10:48 AM
04/28/20 10:48 AM
Western Wisconsin
T
TraderVic Offline
trapper
TraderVic  Offline
trapper
T

Western Wisconsin
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
People might not want to do it this way but if you cut it up fresh, you can wet age or dry age the meat at home .

True, wet aging meat requires refrigeration and best if vacuum wrapped. So, lets take a finished beef steer, say an Angus, finish live weight at 1300 lbs. Hanging weight will be around 675-700+ lbs, depending on the meat/bone ratio.
Guess you have a tractor with a hydraulic loader to elevate the dressed carcass.......where to from here at your house ?

Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: SNIPERBBB] #6857357
04/28/20 10:57 AM
04/28/20 10:57 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝

I do it but I would have to buy a lot more refrigerators to do a whole beef or side of beef. The refrigerator is the perfect tool to regulate temp and humidity so I can get brave. Everyone talks about hanging beef for 14 days but the closer you get to 20 days the better I like it.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857358
04/28/20 10:58 AM
04/28/20 10:58 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
I spent my career working for government in food safety (restaurants) but my Ag counterparts saw the same thing with food processors. That being said, I can say nobody gets up in the morning and says, let’s see what I can do to make customers sick and destroy my business. But it happens all the time. Unbelievably insanitary conditions, people working while sick, bad temperature control, cross-contamination, rats, cockroaches, equipment not working as it should, buildings that have leaky roofs that have birds defecating in batch tanks, mislabeled, old product being offered with colored over-wraps and “funny” lighting to make it look fresh.

Then there’s the parent who likes to get unpasteurized milk right off the farm. If they make the decision to do so for themselves that’s fine, but they never bother to recognize their kids are a whole lot more vulnerable than they are. And the kids end up deathly sick with E. coli or brucellosis and any number of things. Too much of this has happened and it’s one of the reasons states generally ban this avenue of sales.

The regulations are there to protect the public. Now if the public doesn’t want to safely hold/process their food it opens a whole new can of worms. And they hold the retailers, wholesalers, truckers and producers accountable. Ask Lazarus—I’ll bet he’s seen his share of food product liability cases.

Never too old to learn
Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Teacher] #6857373
04/28/20 11:23 AM
04/28/20 11:23 AM
Western Wisconsin
T
TraderVic Offline
trapper
TraderVic  Offline
trapper
T

Western Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Teacher
I spent my career working for government in food safety (restaurants) but my Ag counterparts saw the same thing with food processors. That being said, I can say nobody gets up in the morning and says, let’s see what I can do to make customers sick and destroy my business. But it happens all the time. Unbelievably insanitary conditions, people working while sick, bad temperature control, cross-contamination, rats, cockroaches, equipment not working as it should, buildings that have leaky roofs that have birds defecating in batch tanks, mislabeled, old product being offered with colored over-wraps and “funny” lighting to make it look fresh.

Then there’s the parent who likes to get unpasteurized milk right off the farm. If they make the decision to do so for themselves that’s fine, but they never bother to recognize their kids are a whole lot more vulnerable than they are. And the kids end up deathly sick with E. coli or brucellosis and any number of things. Too much of this has happened and it’s one of the reasons states generally ban this avenue of sales.

The regulations are there to protect the public. Now if the public doesn’t want to safely hold/process their food it opens a whole new can of worms. And they hold the retailers, wholesalers, truckers and producers accountable. Ask Lazarus—I’ll bet he’s seen his share of food product liability cases.

Yep.......well said !

Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857450
04/28/20 01:45 PM
04/28/20 01:45 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Teacher, you have a right to your opinion. What I dont get is how many different careers you claim to have had. Having drank thousands of gallons of raw milk and having raised my kids on thousands more, it is very possible to buy from people with healthy cows clean barns and tanks. A good canary in the coal mine is if they are drinking it their selves. Anybody not smart enough to know thats best ought to not be procreating successfully anyway.

TraderVic if you would rather buy mystery meat at walmart instead of from a producer its fine with me. When I was a kid we butchered everything late fall when the weather was cooperating. I DO have access to a walk in cooler. What I think needs to be legal is for the guy who owns and raises the livestock to be able to do the butchering and sell meat as well as live animals. Without a bunch of extra government generated expense and regulation .

Last edited by danny clifton; 04/28/20 01:47 PM.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857459
04/28/20 01:56 PM
04/28/20 01:56 PM
South Dakota
R
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper
Rat Masterson  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
No different than most Gov. intervention, they will make laws because they feel people are too stupid to decide for themselves.

Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: danny clifton] #6857460
04/28/20 02:01 PM
04/28/20 02:01 PM
idaho
W
wallfur Offline
trapper
wallfur  Offline
trapper
W

idaho
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Here in KS it is legal as your back door to sell coon beaver or muskrat meat. Or anything else you trap somebody wants to eat. It is legal to dress the animal beyond just skinning it. Remove glands guts head etc. Tularemia, round worms, tape worms, salmonella, E coli, giardia, are all very real possibilities selling wild animals for consumption. Still it is legal.

To tell somebody they can't sell a hog the same way is to much authority to allow our government to have. If you buy a walk in cooler, a tractor with a front end loader, an electric carcass splitting saw, a band saw, and a meat grinder, want to sell beef or hog meat you raised to the public, how is that not your right?. People are still free to buy all the mystery meat they want at walmart.

The answer is simple. The livestock producer would double his money and still be able to sell cheaper than meat processed by tyson, excell, national beef, cargill etc. They contribute serious money to political campaigns. They tell everyone meat processed by anyone else is "unsafe". The trapper selling a few coons has no effect on them so somehow that little niche market is safe.

.... my thoughts exactly...I think meat should be inspected but less restrictions.... imported beef is cheaper because American beef producer are held to a higher standard...need to equal the playing field.

Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857463
04/28/20 02:03 PM
04/28/20 02:03 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
If you don't think there will be unscrupulous people, who if not watched would sell infected meat your just posting from emotion.

There's a saying about ignoring history, and history says people will do all kinds of things for a dollar.

Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857470
04/28/20 02:08 PM
04/28/20 02:08 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
its a shame that the only unregulated free market left in the united states is black market narcotics

Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857475
04/28/20 02:12 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
This new grocery "shortage" is as contrived as the oil shortage we had in the 70's. So tell me again how regulating everything is a wonderful idea. I prefer to keep myself safe rather than depend on some faceless bureaucrat. I would rather trust a neighbor to deal honestly with me instead of the manager of the meat department at a Country Mart chain grocery.

Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857476
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
You can get bad drugs too

Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857481
04/28/20 02:15 PM
04/28/20 02:15 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
So Teacher hippie and tradervic, you want it to be illegal to sell coon meat too I take it?

Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857483
04/28/20 02:16 PM
04/28/20 02:16 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
already is here