No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857484
04/28/20 02:17 PM
04/28/20 02:17 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Would you sell a sick coon?

Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857490
04/28/20 02:38 PM
04/28/20 02:38 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Lets get rid of all safety standards on everything.Get rid of all those stupid stop signs an stuff that incovenience everybody.

Last edited by Boco; 04/28/20 02:39 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857525
04/28/20 03:25 PM
04/28/20 03:25 PM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
I don't deal much with small Locker Plants , especially the ones that sell meat over the counter ,I have taken in prime beef and picked up old rancid beef (part) ad the same with pork ,Also every locker I have tried has there own unique flavor some times good some times not so good . I know of one that my beef came back and had a fishy taste to some , did a little checking and sure enough they also cut up fish . Some are real honest and do a good job but we really need some regulation to sell over the counter .

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: danny clifton] #6857530
04/28/20 03:30 PM
04/28/20 03:30 PM
Western Wisconsin
T
TraderVic Offline
trapper
TraderVic  Offline
trapper
T

Western Wisconsin
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Teacher, you have a right to your opinion. What I dont get is how many different careers you claim to have had. Having drank thousands of gallons of raw milk and having raised my kids on thousands more, it is very possible to buy from people with healthy cows clean barns and tanks. A good canary in the coal mine is if they are drinking it their selves. Anybody not smart enough to know thats best ought to not be procreating successfully anyway.

TraderVic if you would rather buy mystery meat at walmart instead of from a producer its fine with me. When I was a kid we butchered everything late fall when the weather was cooperating. I DO have access to a walk in cooler. What I think needs to be legal is for the guy who owns and raises the livestock to be able to do the butchering and sell meat as well as live animals. Without a bunch of extra government generated expense and regulation .

I am a retired beef producer and only buy my beef, pork and poultry from real farms in my neighborhood. In other words I know my farmers personally. Seriously, the only thing I buy at Walmart is TP.
I suggest you read my posts a bit slower and truly understand what my points are. Unlike yourself, I also direct marketed my beef products under my own private label to consumers in multiple states and a grocery chain in WI. If individual producers want to butcher for their own consumption, sell a few quarters to family & friends, that's fine by me. What you're talking/suggesting is unsanitary processing to avoid proper meat inspection. I think I'll pass.

DC......are you on the farm, raising cattle 24/7 ? Doesn't sound like it !

Last edited by TraderVic; 04/28/20 03:32 PM.
Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857541
04/28/20 03:40 PM
04/28/20 03:40 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
No vic I do not raise livestock. I am furious that packers are trying to do what oil companies did in the 70's. A little deregulation would be good for consumers.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: danny clifton] #6857567
04/28/20 04:07 PM
04/28/20 04:07 PM
Western Wisconsin
T
TraderVic Offline
trapper
TraderVic  Offline
trapper
T

Western Wisconsin
Originally Posted by danny clifton
No vic I do not raise livestock. I am furious that packers are trying to do what oil companies did in the 70's. A little deregulation would be good for consumers.

Danny.......in agreement, the large meatpackers do have issues and must be regulated, but properly. My experience is totally with small farms, small....mostly rural meat processors, value added/direct marketing to put more money in the producer's pocket, etc.
Vic

Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857723
04/28/20 07:06 PM
04/28/20 07:06 PM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline OP
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline OP
trapper
B

central Missouri
Im not saying it should be legal for sellers to process in a dirt floor barn . Im saying custom lockers are inspected USDA kitchens are inspected i think they should be able to slaughter to sell . Put the burden of inspection on the inspector instead of the processor . Stipulate that the inspectors can enter any time they want . I think even notifying usda of kill times in advance giving them the option to observe . Any thing is better than what they are doing . Usda has proven unwilling to assist small processors by pigeon holeing the process and not making inspectors available in a timely manner

Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Snowpa] #6857728
04/28/20 07:11 PM
04/28/20 07:11 PM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline OP
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline OP
trapper
B

central Missouri
Originally Posted by Snowpa
I don't deal much with small Locker Plants , especially the ones that sell meat over the counter ,I have taken in prime beef and picked up old rancid beef (part) ad the same with pork ,Also every locker I have tried has there own unique flavor some times good some times not so good . I know of one that my beef came back and had a fishy taste to some , did a little checking and sure enough they also cut up fish . Some are real honest and do a good job but we really need some regulation to sell over the counter .

Ask to see their facilities ive been completely through every locker ive used if they wont let me i wont use them
Ive never been refused

Last edited by Bigfoot; 04/28/20 07:12 PM.
Re: Deregulation of small meat processing facilities [Re: Bigfoot] #6857753
04/28/20 07:30 PM
04/28/20 07:30 PM
sw minn.
Flipper Offline
trapper
Flipper  Offline
trapper

sw minn.
Large plants have line inspectors checking glands and organs do they miss some yes but not much. A state inspected plant does not check animals or glands they only come around and inspect the cleanliness of the facility. They usually give advance notify so the operator can have every cleaned up when he gets there.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread