No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Interesting story from the local food bank #6858660
04/29/20 07:43 PM
04/29/20 07:43 PM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

My mother is semi retired and is working at the local food bank right now. A fish farm from up north recently donated several hundred pounds of freshly frozen rainbow trout fillets.

They vacuum sealed them and expected them to fly of the shelves. Now keep in mind a food bank is where less fortunate people go to get food totally FREE...

After a week, and dozens upon dozens of families through, they have given away about seven fillets...all to native people who have an appreciation for it.

White poor people aren't interested in rainbow trout fillets. They instead go directly to the instant meals, kraft dinner, frozen pizzas, etc.

My mother said if people don't start taking them soon the staff is going to start bringing them home just like they do with stuff they cannot get rid of.

What the heck is going on??? I did 112 miles in my boat last weekend fishing for escaped fish farm rainbows and these people won't even take it for free??

Works for me I guess... Always room on the smoker...

Last edited by Hutchy; 04/29/20 07:43 PM.
Re: Interesting story from the local food bank [Re: Hutchy] #6858672
04/29/20 07:48 PM
04/29/20 07:48 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

As a single man I have been practicing catch and release since my divorce a few years back. Not with fish but with women because around half of them cant cook anything beyond a microwave meal or possibly mac and cheese. If I were to mention canning or processing wild game it would blow their little minds I assure you.

Oh yeah, and they all have fake hair, eyebrows, boobies, & fake southern drawls but they are looking for a real man LOL

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Interesting story from the local food bank [Re: Leftlane] #6858675
04/29/20 07:53 PM
04/29/20 07:53 PM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by Leftlane
As a single man I have been practicing catch and release since my divorce a few years back. Not with fish but with women because around half of them cant cook anything beyond a microwave meal or possibly mac and cheese. If I were to mention canning or processing wild game it would blow their little minds I assure you.

Oh yeah, and they all have fake hair, eyebrows, boobies but they are looking for a real man LOL

LOL!

Incidentally, I can bake a rainbow fillet in around the same amount if time it takes to do Kraft dinner from start to finish if the oven is preheated...

And can pan fry it in less!!

Good lord, give me nothing but a whole fish, a knife, a match and some dry wood and I'll probably do it in only double the time!

I was flabbergasted when I heard that.

Re: Interesting story from the local food bank [Re: Hutchy] #6858687
04/29/20 08:01 PM
04/29/20 08:01 PM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Yeah the world is full of ppl who make me shake my dam head daily

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Interesting story from the local food bank [Re: Hutchy] #6858702
04/29/20 08:12 PM
04/29/20 08:12 PM
Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Hodagtrapper Offline
Muskrat Master
Hodagtrapper  Offline
Muskrat Master

Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Meat departments around here are very low on pork, beef and chicken. Plenty of fish, though! Hard to understand how fish cleaned and vacuum sealed would not be wanted by those in need.

Chris

>>In God we trust<<
Re: Interesting story from the local food bank [Re: Leftlane] #6858799
04/29/20 09:27 PM
04/29/20 09:27 PM
Washington
C
cat daddy Offline
trapper
cat daddy  Offline
trapper
C

Washington
Originally Posted by Leftlane

Oh yeah, and they all have fake hair, eyebrows, boobies, & fake southern drawls but they are looking for a real man LOL

I too would eat mac and cheese before nasty rainbow trout. Walleye would be a different story!

Re: Interesting story from the local food bank [Re: Hutchy] #6858805
04/29/20 09:33 PM
04/29/20 09:33 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
I was a member of the local Lions Club, and I was also the garbage man. The Lions Club would give food to the less fortunate at Christmas time to help folks out, but anything that required preparation..................I picked it up as well. It is a sad country indeed.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Interesting story from the local food bank [Re: Hodagtrapper] #6858843
04/29/20 10:16 PM
04/29/20 10:16 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper
Meat departments around here are very low on pork, beef and chicken. Plenty of fish, though! Hard to understand how fish cleaned and vacuum sealed would not be wanted by those in need.

Chris

I’m not in need, but I’d take it all day long and twice on Sunday!!
This is gonna sound corny to y’all with trout, but when our mall opened when I was a kid, they brought in a big pool with Rainbow trout and for 50 cents you could fish for 3 minutes. Daddy gave me a whole dollar and I ended up with 2 big ole trout. That was the best fish I ever had back then, lol.

Re: Interesting story from the local food bank [Re: Hutchy] #6858869
04/29/20 11:03 PM
04/29/20 11:03 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I used to work the food bank , It is very much an education thing they have no idea how to cook it.

they might try printing up a sheet on a few ways to easily prepare fish. do a video and print the link to it.

we saw much the same thing here , a pallet of pinto beans they could take 2 five pound bags of with every trip through the line.

pallets of big chunks of frozen meat , like 10 pound hams , roasts , lamb that was frozen the day before it expired all sorts of stuff what did they want 1 pound packs of burger that they could only get 2 of on a visit.

there was even a guy who had been a restaurant cook he was in line and helping also he got to come through the line first then helped distribute , he was retired I guess and would drive a bunch of the other seniors over one the 3rd Thursday when their checks had run out and they needed to make it though the 4th week of the month. he would try and explain recipes and easy things to do with pintos , I was also trying to explain how simple chilli was , that roasts could be cut up and chilly made or ham and bean soup.

some times I would talk some one into trying a ham , they could share it with friends or cook ahead and put many servings in the freezer.

what is so sad is so many of these folks have not hardly ever eaten scratch cooking. my kids comment on how almost none of the kids at school eat like we do, how they go days without seeing their parents even though they live in the same house. very sad .

if nothing else good came of this virus , my daughter realized how important a good pantry is and plans to keep a good when when she moves out of the house.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Interesting story from the local food bank [Re: Hutchy] #6858884
04/29/20 11:20 PM
04/29/20 11:20 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Online content
trapper
KeithC  Online Content
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Many, many, many more poor people in the US die from obesity related iissues than starvation. Overall, we probably have the world's laziest poor people. I have no doubt Canada's poor are similar to ours.

Keith

Re: Interesting story from the local food bank [Re: Hutchy] #6858906
04/30/20 12:03 AM
04/30/20 12:03 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
"oil some fish..." ,well crawfish this time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYvPOEJT5SE

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Interesting story from the local food bank [Re: Wanna Be] #6859053
04/30/20 08:58 AM
04/30/20 08:58 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper

Chris

I’m not in need, but I’d take it all day long and twice on Sunday!!
This is gonna sound corny to y’all with trout, but when our mall opened when I was a kid, they brought in a big pool with Rainbow trout and for 50 cents you could fish for 3 minutes. Daddy gave me a whole dollar and I ended up with 2 big ole trout. That was the best fish I ever had back then, lol.

Not "corny" at all, but very common that fish or game you catch yourself tastes much better (in your mind) than store bought or resturant served. Something to be said for the satisfaction factor.

Re: Interesting story from the local food bank [Re: Hutchy] #6859106
04/30/20 09:58 AM
04/30/20 09:58 AM
Priest River, Idaho USA
S
SundanceMtnMan Offline
trapper
SundanceMtnMan  Offline
trapper
S

Priest River, Idaho USA
You can't give me farmed trout. They taste like mud and are soft and mushy. If I can catch and eat wild fish I will keep a trout occasionally. I much prefer spiny rays or seafood. I don't blame anyone for not eating farmed trout.

"They Say Nothing is Impossible,
But, I Do Nothing Every Day."
Re: Interesting story from the local food bank [Re: Hutchy] #6859109
04/30/20 10:00 AM
04/30/20 10:00 AM
Ontario Canada
D
d2009 Offline
trapper
d2009  Offline
trapper
D

Ontario Canada
Must be pretty quiet on the Bay this year Hutchy? I cant get bear hunting this year, all the marinas are closed. I work at a hatchery in Grey County, we sell all our fish ( all rainbow about 25 gram average) into Parry Sound , to the growers up there. . We get a lot of B grade frozen fillets back from the farms up there. Colour isn't deep enough or whatever minor defects there may be, but they are beautiful eating.

Re: Interesting story from the local food bank [Re: Hutchy] #6859112
04/30/20 10:02 AM
04/30/20 10:02 AM
Ontario Canada
D
d2009 Offline
trapper
d2009  Offline
trapper
D

Ontario Canada
Sundance these fish are grown in Georgian Bay, part of Lake Huron, in netted pens , and they taste amazing.

Re: Interesting story from the local food bank [Re: SundanceMtnMan] #6859118
04/30/20 10:08 AM
04/30/20 10:08 AM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by SundanceMtnMan
You can't give me farmed trout. They taste like mud and are soft and mushy. If I can catch and eat wild fish I will keep a trout occasionally. I much prefer spiny rays or seafood. I don't blame anyone for not eating farmed trout.

These fish are raised in some of the best water in the world. Clear and cold.

I'll let ya know how they taste when I get a few fillets.

Re: Interesting story from the local food bank [Re: d2009] #6859121
04/30/20 10:11 AM
04/30/20 10:11 AM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by d2009
Must be pretty quiet on the Bay this year Hutchy? I cant get bear hunting this year, all the marinas are closed. I work at a hatchery in Grey County, we sell all our fish ( all rainbow about 25 gram average) into Parry Sound , to the growers up there. . We get a lot of B grade frozen fillets back from the farms up there. Colour isn't deep enough or whatever minor defects there may be, but they are beautiful eating.

You sell em to the farms at Depot harbour, then they get loose and I catch them. Lol

Ya, I drove down to the sound to catch rainbows last weekend and did really well. Had to drive the boat down the coast because couldn't trailer it. Nowhere to put it in!

Sorry about the bear hunt. I was thinking of shooting one this spring but my freezer is already full. May wait for fall.

Re: Interesting story from the local food bank [Re: Hutchy] #6859123
04/30/20 10:13 AM
04/30/20 10:13 AM
Pennsylvania
C
Claypool313 Offline
trapper
Claypool313  Offline
trapper
C

Pennsylvania
This is exactly why i think food assistance in this nation would do well by the less fortunate if they simply supplied a sack of each; flour, sugar, potatoes, carrots, onions. Add a couple frozen chuck roosts, a tube of grind, and most importantly a cook book. No excuse for starving.

Re: Interesting story from the local food bank [Re: Hutchy] #6859125
04/30/20 10:14 AM
04/30/20 10:14 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Can't believe no one knows how to cook ? Thats what Home Ec is for, lol. We don't have any kids or grand kids so maybe I am out of touch with the school system ?

Re: Interesting story from the local food bank [Re: Hutchy] #6859126
04/30/20 10:15 AM
04/30/20 10:15 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
It’s has lot to do with the welfare mentality I did a Schwan’s truck for a bit the EBT people bought chicken wings, rocket pops, pizzas anything that required work like scooping out of a container or any prep to prepare was passed on. Unwrap, eat and pitch the stick was the most popular items.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread