No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
They have chicks! #6859355
04/30/20 02:49 PM
04/30/20 02:49 PM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
Just back from the local farm supply. Go there about every two weeks. They just got in their 6th load of chicks this week. They normally arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday. Within 36hrs they’ve been sold out 5 times this year. This load the clerk said they’d barely had any interest. We agreed that everyone that wanted them pretty much got ‘em, and folks have decided they’d rather get back to work than worry about things.

I had a call on hold, trying to reach a human operator, so I sat in the parking lot for about 30min before going in. Half the customers coming out had chick started or layer feed. The other half of the customers were 60+ years old, and they were buying flowers and equipment parts. Was a strange dynamic to watch. Drove by wally world coming home, parking lot was packed. EBT maybe? Stimulus? Maybe they got in a truckload of TP? It was packed regardless.

I find people watching to be pretty good entertainment. laugh

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: They have chicks! [Re: cfowler] #6859383
04/30/20 03:52 PM
04/30/20 03:52 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
People seldom say what the really mean just focus on what they do, every serial killer will tell you what a great guy he is.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: They have chicks! [Re: cfowler] #6859397
04/30/20 04:13 PM
04/30/20 04:13 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
My incubators peeping, chicks on the way!

Re: They have chicks! [Re: cfowler] #6859406
04/30/20 04:28 PM
04/30/20 04:28 PM
Little Valley, NY
Sawmill Creek Offline
trapper
Sawmill Creek  Offline
trapper

Little Valley, NY
Home Depot here is packed every time I go by too

Re: They have chicks! [Re: cfowler] #6859489
04/30/20 06:17 PM
04/30/20 06:17 PM
Underwood,Indiana
M
mask bandit Offline
trapper
mask bandit  Offline
trapper
M

Underwood,Indiana
One of my incubators is going to hatch around Saturday , and they're already sold . The second one will hatch out next week , and they're already sold.

Re: They have chicks! [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6859515
04/30/20 06:41 PM
04/30/20 06:41 PM
MO
cfowler Offline OP
trapper
cfowler  Offline OP
trapper

MO
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
My incubators peeping, chicks on the way!

Never done an incubator. Have a couple friends that do. Strangely they didn’t this year. Said they’d hatch a few out if they have a hen go broody.

May see if I can use their incubator just to give it a try. Be a lot cheaper than the price of chicks. Some were $5.49 each! Cheapest was “American Fryers” at $3. Looked like a mixed bag of chicks to me. Not sure if American Fryer is even a breed?

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: They have chicks! [Re: cfowler] #6859551
04/30/20 07:29 PM
04/30/20 07:29 PM
eastern shore of Maryland
gwc Offline
trapper
gwc  Offline
trapper

eastern shore of Maryland
My wife just bought me a new Incubator for our Anniversary.A Gqf 1502 Sportsman incubator,love it.Been hatching Black Old English and Red Golden pheasants.Have Snowflake bobwhite,Coturnix,California Valley quail,Chicken,goose,turkey and Mandarin eggs hatching soon.Still waiting on Ringed teal,Swinhoe,Lady Amherst pheasant and Mountain quail to lay.Enjoying them this year tho,especially since stuck at home more.

Garey's Window Cleaning

New or Used MB 450s Wanted,PM me

Re: They have chicks! [Re: cfowler] #6859569
04/30/20 07:58 PM
04/30/20 07:58 PM
TN/OH
R
RM trapper Offline
trapper
RM trapper  Offline
trapper
R

TN/OH
The tractor supplies and farm stores around here can't keep chicks in this year. My buddy got 150 in at 3 today and was sold out by 3:30. The hatchery we usually buy from are sold out thru July, luckily I got all I want and my dad's 200 egg incubator is full and people begging for chicks. They'll be alot of cheap chickens this fall

Re: They have chicks! [Re: cfowler] #6859575
04/30/20 08:04 PM
04/30/20 08:04 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by cfowler

Never done an incubator. Have a couple friends that do. Strangely they didn’t this year. Said they’d hatch a few out if they have a hen go broody.

May see if I can use their incubator just to give it a try. Be a lot cheaper than the price of chicks. Some were $5.49 each! Cheapest was “American Fryers” at $3. Looked like a mixed bag of chicks to me. Not sure if American Fryer is even a breed?

Incubator is fun and easy, going to guess American Fryer is mostly male chicks from breeds like barred rock and rhode island reds.

I just got some free eggs from my brother, good enough to get a few laying hens out of. The amount of money people put into a few chickens anymore is asinine. Hatching is also a ton of fun, got 4 chicks out of their shells now, hopefully 20 more or so will hatch tonight.

Re: They have chicks! [Re: cfowler] #6859590
04/30/20 08:20 PM
04/30/20 08:20 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
My first round of meat Birds showed up today from the Hatchery. At my old address to post office 2 hours away even though they have my correct address on file and listed to ship to. The Hatchery said they'd ship out more next week to the correct address. When my wife asked about the ones they already shipped to the post office is it don't worry about it the post office people find people to give them to. I thought that was quite disturbing way to do business. My wife call the post office in the lady was thrilled because she recognized our name and knew we had moved and she couldn't foreword. Chicks. So she my wife went and picked them up today for some reason it's been an extra day in shipping and they were not in the best shape.. 7 have died or were dead in the box when opened so far.

So now I'm going to have slightly less than twice as many meat birds on my first round of meat birds. That would be okay except for now I have to build another meat bird pen and I'll have more to process at one time that I want.

There should be plenty of deals on older chicks for egg layers with all the people buying them not realizing it'll be several months before they get an egg. Most likely lots of chickens free to good home especially once the kids get tired of feeding them.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 04/30/20 08:24 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread