No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Travel ban on Europe? #6863831
05/05/20 09:46 AM
05/05/20 09:46 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline OP
trapper
Dirt  Offline OP
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Now that the U.S. is about as infected with Corona as most any other place, why do we still have a ban on international travelers? Can we remove this and maybe get some business going on?

Who is John Galt?
Re: Travel ban on Europe? [Re: Dirt] #6863861
05/05/20 10:14 AM
05/05/20 10:14 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
International travel should be permanently banned-every country should have a wall.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Travel ban on Europe? [Re: Dirt] #6863868
05/05/20 10:23 AM
05/05/20 10:23 AM
South Dakota
R
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper
Rat Masterson  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
Especially Canada.

Re: Travel ban on Europe? [Re: Rat Masterson] #6863871
05/05/20 10:28 AM
05/05/20 10:28 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline OP
trapper
Dirt  Offline OP
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Especially Canada.

You noticed I didn't mention Canada. Not conducting business there anymore. smile

Who is John Galt?
Re: Travel ban on Europe? [Re: Boco] #6863964
05/05/20 12:46 PM
05/05/20 12:46 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Originally Posted by Boco
International travel should be permanently banned-every country should have a wall.

Oh man I openly apologize to some Canadians (on another thread) and just look at the thank you I get LOL

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Travel ban on Europe? [Re: Dirt] #6863984
05/05/20 01:17 PM
05/05/20 01:17 PM
So. IL
pintail_drake04 Online content
trapper
pintail_drake04  Online Content
trapper

So. IL
My European vacation got canceled in June. We were going to spend 2 weeks visiting my Wife's family in Poland, then fly around to Italy and a few other places. We have the 1st great grad child on both sides of her family, so our plan was to get 4 generations in a picture on both sides. Not too often that is possible to do. I look forward to going back to Europe, maybe one day I'll get to hunt some stag while I'm over there.

Re: Travel ban on Europe? [Re: Dirt] #6863997
05/05/20 01:49 PM
05/05/20 01:49 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Most areas of the US, besides large cities, have only had a few cases of Covid-19. There is the big question of what to do with foreign travelers if they get sick here with Covid-19. They have no home here to quarantine in. I think it's to early to allow foreign travelers in the US.

Keith

Re: Travel ban on Europe? [Re: KeithC] #6864013
05/05/20 02:27 PM
05/05/20 02:27 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline OP
trapper
Dirt  Offline OP
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by KeithC
Most areas of the US, besides large cities, have only had a few cases of Covid-19. There is the big question of what to do with foreign travelers if they get sick here with Covid-19. They have no home here to quarantine in. I think it's to early to allow foreign travelers in the US.

Keith

It may well be the same in Europe that the highly infected areas are the cities. I have no problem with restricting travel from hot zones. Most of us are going to get infected. The only reason given to restrict travel is to slow the rate to a level that does not overwhelm the medical system. I would be okay with restricting travel from Europe of the unhealthy people that may need medical care here if they get it. Don't want them getting it.

I really see no great increased risk, if people from anywhere with a low infection rate where they live travel to any place with a higher or similar infection rate if they social distance.

As far as the quarantine issue, they are already quarantining slope workers from the lower 48 in hotels. You don't need a home.

Are States banning people from New York City from traveling to their State? I would!

Who is John Galt?
Re: Travel ban on Europe? [Re: Dirt] #6864018
05/05/20 02:36 PM
05/05/20 02:36 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
but how do you restrict travel from hot zones

I think re-opening county by county makes the most sense but unless you put national guard at every road that crosses a county line how else would you do it?

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Travel ban on Europe? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6864025
05/05/20 02:42 PM
05/05/20 02:42 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline OP
trapper
Dirt  Offline OP
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

I think re-opening county by county makes the most sense but unless you put national guard at every road that crosses a county line how else would you do it?

I.D. Passport has your address.

I looked at two maps of Gemany and Switzerland and they got the countries mapped by cases and it is similar to here. States in Gemany and Cantons in Switzerland. I'm sure they got city breakdowns too.

Last edited by Dirt; 05/05/20 02:43 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Travel ban on Europe? [Re: Dirt] #6864036
05/05/20 02:55 PM
05/05/20 02:55 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

I.D. Passport has your address.

I looked at two maps of Gemany and Switzerland and they got the countries mapped by cases and it is similar to here. States in Gemany and Cantons in Switzerland. I'm sure they got city breakdowns too.

for international but how do you know when say you flew into one air port you didn't drive to NYC get corona then off to several other places.

your thinking controlling hot spot counties internationally , I was thinking hot spot counties domestically.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Travel ban on Europe? [Re: Dirt] #6864070
05/05/20 03:34 PM
05/05/20 03:34 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Once we allow our citizens to travel freely we should consider extending travel to foreigners. Not before. My 14 day quarantine ended today at 7:30 am. I'm not surprised that I did not develop any symptoms because I followed the guidelines when I visited the lower 48 and didn't travel to any of the hot zones.

Unless someone is traveling from a hot spot they should be allowed to travel freely. Last time I checked I'm supposedly a citizen of a free country and not a totalitarian state governed by despots and the bureaucrats that advise them.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Travel ban on Europe? [Re: Dirt] #6864095
05/05/20 04:15 PM
05/05/20 04:15 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I sell birds to a lot of people from Wayne County, Michigan. Typically they pick up the birds here. Right now, I won't allow people from Wayne County on my farm. Wayne County has around as many cases of Covid-19 as the entire state of Ohio. Even if I don't have a high risk of Covid-19, it seems wrong to be a part in bringing people from highly infected areas here. I would rather make less money and keep my neighbors healthy.

To many people look on being compliant with government pandemic instructions as being weak. I look on it as being the honorable thing to do. By complying you're protecting the weak. Chivalrous Knights were not respected for just being good fighters and winning. They were respected for protecting and not taking advantage of those weaker then them. Part of being strong and responsible or being healthy and responsible is putting the needs of others somewhat first. People need to be self interested for societies to work, but have to be somehat civic minded too.

There is very little advantage for most Americans in letting foreigners in right now and a fair amount of risk. There always needs to be a hierarchy of duty for a society to work. Our government's greatest duty is to the American people as evidenced by the words "for and by the people". Only after our people's needs are taken care of should we worry about foreigners.

Keith

Re: Travel ban on Europe? [Re: Dirt] #6864101
05/05/20 04:31 PM
05/05/20 04:31 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline OP
trapper
Dirt  Offline OP
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
I didn't think I would have to explain the importance of foreign trade to trappers who sell most of their fur to foreigners when they can come here to buy it. I don't want them to come, for them. I want them to come so this Alaskan can pick thier pockets. Then I can give some of it to Uncle Sugar.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Travel ban on Europe? [Re: Dirt] #6864102
05/05/20 04:34 PM
05/05/20 04:34 PM
ontario
G
grampy Offline
trapper
grampy  Offline
trapper
G

ontario
WE DESPERATLY NEEDS SOME WALLS, and firmer refusals for "certain types" (you know what I mean) that are infiltrating us from the U.S.

Re: Travel ban on Europe? [Re: Dirt] #6864115
05/05/20 05:05 PM
05/05/20 05:05 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Dirt
I didn't think I would have to explain the importance of foreign trade to trappers who sell most of their fur to foreigners when they can come here to buy it. I don't want them to come, for them. I want them to come so this Alaskan can pick thier pockets. Then I can give some of it to Uncle Sugar.

I very much understand that most of ours furs are sold to foreigners. I also very much don't want to put the health and lives of my fellow Americans at risk for a small amount of personal gain. If a few months of inconvienence and lower earning for me saves the lives of many elderly and many Americans with suppressed immune systems, I will voluntarily be inconvienced and earn less to help. In times of crisis we should pull together.

God Bless America!

Keith

Re: Travel ban on Europe? [Re: Dirt] #6864132
05/05/20 05:44 PM
05/05/20 05:44 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline OP
trapper
Dirt  Offline OP
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
"Earlier this month, I reported our low customer census due to the COVID-19 pandemic. YKHC experienced over a 70% decline in daily census at the hospital for the first week of April. This includes a 60% decrease in outpatient visits and a 70% decrease in Emergency Department visits. Compounding this situation was the State of Alaska’s cancellation of non-urgent Medicaid travel from our 50 villages to the sub-regional clinics or the Bethel hospital. Also, the region’s largest airline, Ravn, went out of business and may or may not restructure.

Although we recently received several weeks’ worth of CARES Act funds designated for the Indian Health Service and community health center facilities, those funds are strictly for COVID-19 expenses and we are unable to use them for anything else. We also expect to receive additional CARES Act funds. While we expect Governor Mike Dunleavy to announce that non-urgent Medicaid travel will resume next week, we do not expect customer census to return to what it was before COVID-19 until a vaccine is available. The COVID-19 pandemic is devastating our monthly financials.

We have recently experienced a slight increase in our outpatient customer census, but our hospital daily census is still down approximately 50% and our village visits are also down 20%. This is approximately a $5-8 million loss per month to YKHC. Compared to other rural health systems with over a $200 million annual budget, YKHC is in a strong financial position, but we cannot sustain large monthly losses over a long period of time. YKHC is similar to many other businesses: we are dependent on having customers to serve.

I am disappointed to announce, based on our low customer census and financial projections, that YKHC will be forced to furlough and reduce our workforce by 300 employees. Notifications of affected employees will begin on Wednesday, April 29, and be completed by Friday, May 8. This will largely affect non-providers because we need to maintain a strong provider workforce in the event we encounter a surge of COVID-19 cases. This furlough will be in effect for four weeks. If our customer census increases during that time, we may be able to bring some furloughed employees back into active employment but the remainder will be laid off after four weeks. We will continue to monitor our customer census over the next several months, and if our census continues to remain low, we will have additional layoffs. '

Maybe I can help out these guys. Looks like they need some Corona patients.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Travel ban on Europe? [Re: Dirt] #6864838
05/06/20 01:25 PM
05/06/20 01:25 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline OP
trapper
Dirt  Offline OP
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Well I think I may be able to work out a deal with Wesley Mouch at the Bureau of Economic Resources and Natural Resources. Thanks for all your help regarding this economic problem I am having. I knew I could count on your support.

Who is John Galt?
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread