No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Leftlane???? #6866370
05/08/20 12:10 AM
05/08/20 12:10 AM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline OP
trapper
il.trapper  Offline OP
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
Don't you do this too? Or did ya used to? You know these guys?

Re: Leftlane???? [Re: il.trapper] #6866373
05/08/20 12:29 AM
05/08/20 12:29 AM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Tuffest man alive rite there

Re: Leftlane???? [Re: il.trapper] #6866374
05/08/20 12:41 AM
05/08/20 12:41 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Ha. Comparing me to Frank Newsome would be like comparing a small town mayor to Ronald Reagan. The guys you see fighting the biggest bullridings in the country 3 or even 4 weekends a month are as big in their profession as Michael Jordan or Larry Byrd were in basketball. Lots of greats, Frank, Shorty Gorham, Rob Smets were the big names in cowboy protection in the last decade of even two. Ahead of that it was Ronny & Donny Sparks, Jerry 'the Hitman' Norton, 'Hollywood Don Yates. If I remember right my buddy Don Yates is one of only 2 men to fight bulls at the NFR and a PBR finals. At 50 he not only cracked out in the freestyle again but also jumped a bull. Yeah- he is a bad bad man and one heck of a good guy.

I was basically good at getting HS and college kids out of a hang up or slapping some snot blower in the head so they could get up off the ground is all. I was a lot better bull rider than I ever could have been bull fighter even if I had started before I was 38 yrs old. Hats off to those guys. If you get bored check out the BFO videos (bull fighters only- freestyle bull fighting- they call for a Mexican fighting bull facing the wrong direction and try to back flip over him)

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Leftlane???? [Re: il.trapper] #6866377
05/08/20 01:05 AM
05/08/20 01:05 AM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline OP
trapper
il.trapper  Offline OP
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
I knew I had read or been told you were at some time in the rodeo biz. Didn't know you rode bulls. My hats off to ya. I tried ONE bull ONE time. I was 18 or 19 and thought I would impress a young gal. Didn't last 3 secs, with the bull or her. LOL Horses I could handle a fair bit, you can feel the power of bull before you even get on it.

These guys amaze me. In the rodeo arena and the freestyle stuff. Either no brains or very smart. I aint figured out yet which. LOL Either way they are brave and tough to say the least.

Re: Leftlane???? [Re: il.trapper] #6866379
05/08/20 01:13 AM
05/08/20 01:13 AM
Illinois
D
dkrug Offline
trapper
dkrug  Offline
trapper
D

Illinois
Originally Posted by il.trapper
I knew I had read or been told you were at some time in the rodeo biz. Didn't know you rode bulls. My hats off to ya. I tried ONE bull ONE time. I was 18 or 19 and thought I would impress a young gal. Didn't last 3 secs, with the bull or her. LOL Horses I could handle a fair bit, you can feel the power of bull before you even get on it.

These guys amaze me. In the rodeo arena and the freestyle stuff. Either no brains or very smart. I aint figured out yet which. LOL Either way they are brave and tough to say the least.

grin
I tried the same thing, same age. At a small local rodeo in Oklahoma.
1st time Me Skeered?
I think they pulled me off the bull, when they swung the gate!
sick

Re: Leftlane???? [Re: dkrug] #6866381
05/08/20 01:26 AM
05/08/20 01:26 AM
Illinois
D
dkrug Offline
trapper
dkrug  Offline
trapper
D

Illinois
The real kicker was they told me I was to old to start.
They start mutton bustin at 4 to 5
Same with skydiving that I started last year at 67.
They told me a lot of young skydivers grow old
Not many that start old
Anyway; I don't have to wonder what it's like on either anymore.!
Next on my Bucket list?

blush crazy

Re: Leftlane???? [Re: il.trapper] #6866446
05/08/20 07:32 AM
05/08/20 07:32 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Haha Old is just a term for people who want to put the Possum in a cage and we don't need your rocking chair, your Geritol or your Medicare!

As far as getting out fast or getting out flattened (later on) the old Senora in All The Pretty Horse nailed it: "Everyone gets cured in the end, for those who life does not cure death will.

I think my son had 4 or 5 buckles riding sheep and dummy roping before he turned 6 yrs old, by the time he was 18, you'd trip over all the buckles and trophy saddles he had won. By starting them at 4 or 5 yrs old, they are highly skilled athletes with a crap load of experience b4 they graduate high school. At that point in their life, their bodies are basically in their prime so its time to crack out at the big shows and it works.

Take a look at Luke Snyder's first PBR Finals (he won them) and more recently; Trey Holston + the Pollmeier or Pope boys from KS. Cannon Craven, Caden Bunch, & Jake the Snake Goudy started representing the state of OK before they could read and write. Same with Koltin Hevello from MO and Texas's own Boudreaux Campbell who can basically spur anything they get one since the time they were in kindergarten. If you see the name Wright on a back tag and the announcer says from Utah pay attention- all of them are world class and will have more wins then the Etbaur boys from Goodwill OK b4 they retire (Bronc riding royalty).

I know each and everyone of these young men and both of their parents. None of these folks were rich, but we basically put together a plan for an assembly line that has turned out to be a virtual factory for the production of rodeo athletes. Andy put the Texas team together, John Paul and Jimmy Morris answered with a team of basically all stars from the Tulsa Ok area (its in the water there), and I, with the assistance of some awesome ppl like Brett & Jennifer Pope, Billy Madison, Todd Holstrom, and Mark Pollmeier set out to whup 'em all and with a little help from Koltin's folks we put together the KJBA (Ks Jr. Bull Rider's Assoc) and got it done a few times this last decade or so.

Then Brett Pope (read coon hunter by night, husband and sire of world class rodeo athletes by day) started bringing miniature horse breeds so that 4 year olds could crack out in the bronc riding or bareback. I love the man but what a stinkin' show off LOL

Last edited by Leftlane; 05/08/20 07:35 AM. Reason: B/c I rodeo better than I spell LOL

Re: Leftlane???? [Re: il.trapper] #6866451
05/08/20 07:40 AM
05/08/20 07:40 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Il.trapper, you have accidently kicked a hornets nest because this subject is something I am not only quite passionate on, but am also proud to say I helped build back when it was nothing more than a grass roots effort to give our little fellas a chance to compete at a national level. Once we got there we were shocked to see we were not alone. The Native kids from Arizona like Keshon Whitehorse, and a few kids from Iowa, Louisiana, and little corners all over this country showed up and made our kids work for each every win. Stub your toe at the YBR, Little Britches, or Highschool national finals and you wont drop to 2nd place, you will probably drop out of the top 10. Same in Shawnee OK.

Now all of us parents are getting old and some Dr will probably have us addicted or Oxycodone in the next decade b/c of the injuries we sustain patting our own backs LOL

Re: Leftlane???? [Re: il.trapper] #6866479
05/08/20 08:18 AM
05/08/20 08:18 AM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS
There are many of the trapping community that have played cowboy over the years, just have to look around and listen.
I can think of a few that were professional bull riders, a few bronc riders, bulldoggers, and even some ropers if you want to call them cowboys grin . There is your hornets nest LL laugh.
A lot more that would be considered in the minor leagues. I think it probably has to do with our love for the power of nature and the wild things.

PS no disrespect to you ropers, just having a little fun. laugh

Re: Leftlane???? [Re: il.trapper] #6866493
05/08/20 08:40 AM
05/08/20 08:40 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Those clowns are Amazing!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Leftlane???? [Re: il.trapper] #6866530
05/08/20 09:26 AM
05/08/20 09:26 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
amazed how much of it i watch since the tv gets stuck on rfd-tv a lot anymore.also a big fan of Doug from Ga.'s daughter Leah and her barrel racin.

Re: Leftlane???? [Re: 330-Trapper] #6866561
05/08/20 09:55 AM
05/08/20 09:55 AM
Texas Hill Country
C
Cedar Hacker Offline
trapper
Cedar Hacker  Offline
trapper
C

Texas Hill Country
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

Here is one of the best there was but it looks like years have finally caught up with him and his entertaining days may be over.

His name is Leon Coffee and he was born, reared and still lives in the Texas Hill Country.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cedar Hacker; 05/08/20 05:23 PM.

Sit on your horse on top of a ridge, look out across the country and tell me there is no God.

Re: Leftlane???? [Re: Cedar Hacker] #6866606
05/08/20 11:07 AM
05/08/20 11:07 AM
Illinois
D
dkrug Offline
trapper
dkrug  Offline
trapper
D

Illinois
Originally Posted by Cedar Hacker
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

Her is one of the best there was but it looks like years have finally caught up with him and his entertaining days may be over.

His name is Leon Coffee and he was born, reared and still lives in the Texas Hill Country.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thank you for this Cedar Hacker! I got to see Leon in action 1971 Lazy E Arena. One of a kind
Standing ovations & crowd cheering & yelling LEON, LEON, LEON! I had never seen anything like it.
Precious Memories

Re: Leftlane???? [Re: il.trapper] #6866608
05/08/20 11:09 AM
05/08/20 11:09 AM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline OP
trapper
il.trapper  Offline OP
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
LOL, I like to kick a hornets nest once in awhile. As long as they don't get mean about it. LOL

I actually used to work with horses alot. Not alot of rodeo, but horses in general.

Way back in the 70's early 80's we had a local arena that held weekly rodeos and horse shows. They would have pro rodeos a few times a year. I was fortunate enough to meet a few of the big names at a few of them. Hawkeye Henson, Donny Gay, were probably the best known. I met others that I can't recall their names. They all seem like down to earth folks that really loved what they did.

My Tx, daughter has a small rodeo over by them. She calls me everytime they go just to talk about the clowns. Her favorite is an older guy that works the barrel now. he apparently has worked some of the larger bull events. Her favorite of his " I don't know why anyone would want to try and ride a 2000 lb hamburger before it's cooked" LOL She told me he has had a cpl of heart attacks and other issues but still wants to work the arena.

Those guys are a special breed for sure.

Re: Leftlane???? [Re: il.trapper] #6866697
05/08/20 12:55 PM
05/08/20 12:55 PM
Illinois
D
dkrug Offline
trapper
dkrug  Offline
trapper
D

Illinois
For an excellent read ( Why WE Win) Jan 1st 1983 Authors: Roy Cooper, Don Gay, Walt Woodard.
Don Gay says " thousands out there who can ride better then me, but I wanted it more than they did)
Work ethic and sacrifice, everything has a trade off.
Same with trappers on here, the cream rises to the top.
I stumbled into Trapperman while websurfing for trapping advice, and have been reading ever since.
Went to some conventions and suddenly you all came alive.
Never met Charles Dobbins, but did meet Paul and was fortunate enough to see Leo Hoeft inducted into the Hall of Fame.
Just wanted to share

Re: Leftlane???? [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #6866772
05/08/20 03:19 PM
05/08/20 03:19 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood
There are many of the trapping community that have played cowboy over the years, just have to look around and listen.
I can think of a few that were professional bull riders, a few bronc riders, bulldoggers, and even some ropers if you want to call them cowboys grin . There is your hornets nest LL laugh.
A lot more that would be considered in the minor leagues. I think it probably has to do with our love for the power of nature and the wild things.

PS no disrespect to you ropers, just having a little fun. laugh

all the bull ridings I've been to have a "cowboy" on a horse with a ROPE in the arenas for the real emergencies......
Never seen the need for a bull rider in the arena for a roping..... Lol
Little fun back at u grin

Re: Leftlane???? [Re: il.trapper] #6866793
05/08/20 03:49 PM
05/08/20 03:49 PM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS
Yes sir, it is all good. I have been away from it to long to care and to out of shape to do anything about it if I did. laugh
I suppose the ropers are still all a bunch of, afraid to get there starched jeans and pressed shirt dirty sissy boys though. grin
As for that fella on a horse during the bull riding, always figured he was sizing em up for a tie down. Wasn't ever giving him a hard time. whistle

Re: Leftlane???? [Re: il.trapper] #6866804
05/08/20 03:58 PM
05/08/20 03:58 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Lol

Re: Leftlane???? [Re: il.trapper] #6866848
05/08/20 05:08 PM
05/08/20 05:08 PM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Cedar hacker ain't lying Le9n Coffee is da man. I dont use gang slang but if bullfighting had an OG he was it and still a great American

Andrew I am driving all day and night can you throw a flag if one of these outlaws misses one out?

Re: Leftlane???? [Re: il.trapper] #6866849
05/08/20 05:09 PM
05/08/20 05:09 PM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Call me if u get plumb bored the carwash broke off my antenna and my dusty ol pickup is analog

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread