No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Medium Sized Dog Suggestions [Re: Pike River] #6866886
05/08/20 05:56 PM
05/08/20 05:56 PM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan
Good friend has a Boykin...would not be my choice. Its a nice dog, but scared of its own shadow. Not big enough to fend off a yote if needed, and around here, it is needed. Ive had my eyes out for a yellow or blond mountain cur, but seem hard to find in northern michigan. Not trying to offend Boykin owners, they have their place. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Re: Medium Sized Dog Suggestions [Re: Pike River] #6866905
05/08/20 06:18 PM
05/08/20 06:18 PM
South Central Wisconsin
N
Nelly Offline
trapper
Nelly  Offline
trapper
N

South Central Wisconsin
If you had asked me a few years ago, I never would have considered myself a poodle guy.
After some research, I decided the balance of intelligence, non shedding, fairly hypoallergenic, typically not aggressive and a surprisingly strong prey drive pushed me toward a standard poodle.

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good. O Lord please don't let me be misunderstood.
Re: Medium Sized Dog Suggestions [Re: Nelly] #6866952
05/08/20 06:58 PM
05/08/20 06:58 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline OP
trapper
Pike River  Offline OP
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Nelly
If you had asked me a few years ago, I never would have considered myself a poodle guy.
After some research, I decided the balance of intelligence, non shedding, fairly hypoallergenic, typically not aggressive and a surprisingly strong prey drive pushed me toward a standard poodle.

Where'd you find one with some hunt still left in them?

Re: Medium Sized Dog Suggestions [Re: Pike River] #6866972
05/08/20 07:16 PM
05/08/20 07:16 PM
SD
T
Turd Furgeson Offline
trapper
Turd Furgeson  Offline
trapper
T

SD
I’d look at Mountain cur, Airedale, or Airedale/jagdterrier mix if you want a little smaller and a little more ornery dog.

Re: Medium Sized Dog Suggestions [Re: Massac] #6866974
05/08/20 07:18 PM
05/08/20 07:18 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
Originally Posted by Massac
[Linked Image]

I recommend a Boykin spaniel. This is Hatchet, 13 months old and 35 pounds.

I have two now .The first one learned so quick she trained herself .She is a bird finder first and foremost .She will be 4 this month She knows the English language better than I do .And she is a excellent trapline dog plus she will find shed antlers ,If I put her on scent and say find it .She will most likely find it .My second one just turned 1 in Feb .She still has a lot of puppy in her but she has picked up the pace as far as learning.I am really looking forward to pheasant season this fall

Re: Medium Sized Dog Suggestions [Re: Pike River] #6866995
05/08/20 07:49 PM
05/08/20 07:49 PM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
Go to the local shelter and explain to them the type (or breed) you might be interested in. If they give you a story about not placing dogs in hunting homes (and I have had that happen) then record it and ask them what the alternative for a dog like that is. There are some really good folks and some really bad "Huggers" that work at those places so you want the people that can relate to your wants and needs. You don't have to take the first one they suggest either. The good/knowledgeable staff will steer you toward a dog that they have quizzed the previous owner about, are aware of quirk's (if any) and should have a handle on the dog's kennel demeanor. Cross breeds have performed for a lot of us as good or better than the purebreds simply because the dog shows for the past 40 years have emphasized confirmation, color, teeth, coat, gate, etc. and discounted functionality and original breed purpose. Everyone wants a dog that comes from a big name show winner don't they??????? Lots of mills have saw to that. I would wager to say there are as many non-hunting, non-retrieving genes in the Labrador population as there are the original hunting/retrieving genes in it. Without knowing the owner and the dog personally,,, you take that chance.That would be a 50-50 chance you get one that can instinctively retrieve a duck or smell and flush a pheasant if you gunned one. Not many families/homes can accommodate the opposite,,,,, a generation bred field trial type dog with more go and aggressiveness than a Holstein bull. I have had good luck at the shelters getting all-around dogs (mixed and a few purebreds) for mine and other homes where a companion, weekend hunter, healthy, and non-problem dog is wanted. The "good" shelters have staff that recognize those types of characteristics as they see more and different dogs than the purebred breeders do and will try to steer you in the best direction. Cost between the private purebreds (pups) and the shelter dogs is a no-brainer for me. Keep in mind that smart dogs you can teach to do what you want so a 1 - 2 year old shelter dog has a lot of puppy foolishness behind it,,,,and bad habits (if any) are not too ingrained,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, then your time together can be a little less play and a little more business like,,,,,, a dog ready to learn from someone who rescued it............................... my take

Re: Medium Sized Dog Suggestions [Re: Pike River] #6867006
05/08/20 08:02 PM
05/08/20 08:02 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Wife makes a good point. Might I also add that many purebreds are more likely to get hip dysplasia with all the in breeding. Granted you still take a chance with any dog but it seems to me the mix breeds seem to be healthier in the long run.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Medium Sized Dog Suggestions [Re: Pike River] #6867400
05/09/20 08:32 AM
05/09/20 08:32 AM
Kentucky/Lake Cumberland
D
dunit Offline
trapper
dunit  Offline
trapper
D

Kentucky/Lake Cumberland
Any reason why you're transitioning to Mt Feist?

The hills are steeper than they used to be "grin" Feist as a rule hunt closer than curs or hounds. Shorter distance to the tree. The uncle of pup for sale was best blood trail, trapline dog ever owned. I mostly just squirrel hunt now so the Feist fit me better..... I used the BMC's for everything hogs, coon, squirrel, even had them on bear. In the hands of a good handler they will do it all.

Re: Medium Sized Dog Suggestions [Re: Pike River] #6867504
05/09/20 10:16 AM
05/09/20 10:16 AM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
Go to a shelter/pound here and you have your choice of dogs......as long as you want a pit or pit mix...

Re: Medium Sized Dog Suggestions [Re: Pike River] #6867546
05/09/20 10:40 AM
05/09/20 10:40 AM
Nova Scotia, Canada
scotiantrapper Offline
trapper
scotiantrapper  Offline
trapper

Nova Scotia, Canada
I’ll pick a well bred lab any day of the week

Re: Medium Sized Dog Suggestions [Re: Pike River] #6867930
05/09/20 05:31 PM
05/09/20 05:31 PM
Ohio
Keith Daniels Offline
trapper
Keith Daniels  Offline
trapper

Ohio
[Linked Image] You need one of these. Mostly because I have an unplanned litter ready to drop in about a week! They are fairly popular in your area, where there are a lot of birds to hunt. Versatile dog, work upland and water as well as fur/game. They go nuts over squirrel and raccoon, the male is a coon killing machine if they are on they ground. Extremely smart, very quiet, very people oriented. Actually one of the oldest versatile breeds in existence. Small Munsterlander.

Keith Daniels
Retired OSTA President as of 4:50 P M 9/12/20
Re: Medium Sized Dog Suggestions [Re: Pike River] #6868832
05/10/20 07:01 PM
05/10/20 07:01 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Best dog I have owned was a blue heeler. When she rode in the truck with me I could actually talk to her, and she listened and obeyed. Could climb a ladder to a box stand when deer hunting. Loved to track wounded deer.

Sheds a lot is only problem. Mine could jump into the bed of a pickup truck with the tailgate up.

Re: Medium Sized Dog Suggestions [Re: Keith Daniels] #6869555
05/11/20 06:00 PM
05/11/20 06:00 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline OP
trapper
Pike River  Offline OP
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Keith Daniels
[Linked Image] You need one of these. Mostly because I have an unplanned litter ready to drop in about a week! They are fairly popular in your area, where there are a lot of birds to hunt. Versatile dog, work upland and water as well as fur/game. They go nuts over squirrel and raccoon, the male is a coon killing machine if they are on they ground. Extremely smart, very quiet, very people oriented. Actually one of the oldest versatile breeds in existence. Small Munsterlander.

How large are the parents?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread