No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Dang USPS! [Re: beaverpeeler] #6876404
05/18/20 10:42 PM
05/18/20 10:42 PM
Beaman Iowa 55
M
Mike Cope Offline
trapper
Mike Cope  Offline
trapper
M

Beaman Iowa 55
Mr Ed and I do the same Job at different facility's in different states, Most likely on different types of machines,

He summed it up better than I can.

Beaverpeeler, I sent a PM

Re: Dang USPS! [Re: Law Dog] #6876513
05/19/20 01:16 AM
05/19/20 01:16 AM
upstate NY
M
Mr. Ed Offline
trapper
Mr. Ed  Offline
trapper
M

upstate NY
Originally Posted by Law Dog
They will beat you to death with the word perishable even if they screwed up 100%, you can try to file a claim but it would be useless. Been there done that.

I was told but do not know if it is true but I do know that PO does not want to give you ins money if pkg never gets there. They want you to prove that what you sent was worth what you insured it for. They will take your money but don't tell you that. The only thing I can tell you about any word on a pkg is useless unless you use the 1 or 2 day shipping option. Big hampers with up to 300 pkgs get dumped on a conveyor belt and then go into the APPS pkg machine to be sorted. No human contact. Looks like the picture on TV when they show you Amazon facility.

Re: Dang USPS! [Re: tlguy] #6876516
05/19/20 01:21 AM
05/19/20 01:21 AM
upstate NY
M
Mr. Ed Offline
trapper
Mr. Ed  Offline
trapper
M

upstate NY
Originally Posted by tlguy
Sounds like the USPS needs to go the way of the dodo bird.

See if you will get same service if UPS or FEDX takes over the letter mail. You will go to a cluster box somewhere. Plus you do not know how many times a lawyer office stuffs 10 lbs of paper in a 5 lb envelope and then never seals the flap. Paper all over the place . ALWAYS use extra tape on the corners and make sure the flap is sealed. Never buy dollar store envelopes. They do not work for the most part.

Re: Dang USPS! [Re: Mike Cope] #6876518
05/19/20 01:22 AM
05/19/20 01:22 AM
upstate NY
M
Mr. Ed Offline
trapper
Mr. Ed  Offline
trapper
M

upstate NY
Originally Posted by Horn
Mr Ed and I do the same Job at different facility's in different states, Most likely on different types of machines,

He summed it up better than I can.

Beaverpeeler, I sent a PM

Horn, I working culling area conveyors, flat sorters, TMS, APPS & dispatch stuff.

Re: Dang USPS! [Re: beaverpeeler] #6876543
05/19/20 05:23 AM
05/19/20 05:23 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Thanks, Mr. Ed for your service.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Dang USPS! [Re: tlguy] #6876637
05/19/20 07:32 AM
05/19/20 07:32 AM
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Duluth, MN

Except that it is mentioned in the Constitution. Or are you one of them?

It’s easy to rag on the USPS and I’m sure ‘peeler would agree, most packages get where we need them in a reasonable time for a fair exchange of $$.

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein
Re: Dang USPS! [Re: beaverpeeler] #6876642
05/19/20 07:35 AM
05/19/20 07:35 AM
Beaman Iowa 55
M
Mike Cope Offline
trapper
Mike Cope  Offline
trapper
M

Beaman Iowa 55
I'm at an NDC.

Re: Dang USPS! [Re: Mr. Ed] #6876659
05/19/20 07:54 AM
05/19/20 07:54 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed
Originally Posted by Lugnut
I just made a deal with a guy on the Trap Shed. Two USPS Flat Rate boxes shipped at the same time and arrived at the first facility at the same time. Then they parted ways. One arrived last Thursday and the other just now, four days later.

I have tried to answer some questions on USPS problems if I think I can figure out what happened. I am a tech on the postal machines. Generally if pkgs shipped at the same time to same place arrive on different days is possibly one pkg may have stuck to another pkg on the pkg machine and instead of dropping in the Iowa bin it drops to the stuck pkg going to Wyoming. So then it gets to Wyoming proc ctr and the process starts all over again. On the beaver tails as long as address was correct and nothing leaked on the address label it should have gotten there pronto.

And do not waste your time with "handle with care" or "handstamp" writing on the pkg. Those days are longggggg gone and everything gets dumped on a long belt and sent into the machines.

It wasn't really a problem Mr. Ed, just interesting to me. I tracked the second package twice a day until it arrived. The USPS site would keep the Expected delivery date and time up several hours after that time had passed. After two days of that they didn't post an Expected Delivery by date and time. On day three the site said, "Sorry, we are experiencing technical difficulties." After that it just indicated "In Transit" with no delivery date.

Finally, yesterday it arrived in a post office one town over from mine. The site said "Out for delivery" and had a time range. My local carrier stuffed it into my oversized mailbox.

Eh...wot?

Re: Dang USPS! [Re: beaverpeeler] #6876695
05/19/20 08:29 AM
05/19/20 08:29 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Did you use the White Priority Box?

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Dang USPS! [Re: Clark] #6876750
05/19/20 09:25 AM
05/19/20 09:25 AM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Clark

Except that it is mentioned in the Constitution. Or are you one of them?

It’s easy to rag on the USPS and I’m sure ‘peeler would agree, most packages get where we need them in a reasonable time for a fair exchange of $$.

Have you read Article I, Section 8 lately? It gives Congress the power to establish Post Offices, but doesn't require it. The same Section 8 that gives Congress the power to arm the militia. I'm still waiting on my government gun as a militia member.

I meant no disrespect to those on here that work for USPS. Like any poorly run organization there are going to still be good guys that work there. Lots of stories on here though indicating USPS needs an overhaul.

Where I live we have SpeeDee Delivery, 1 or 2 days at most to ship around the midwest and cheaper than the Big 3. If every region had a service like that, it would take a lot of the pressure off USPS, FedEx and UPS. Maybe they just need less work to do.

Re: Dang USPS! [Re: beaverpeeler] #6876757
05/19/20 09:35 AM
05/19/20 09:35 AM
revillo, sd
C
cohunt Offline
trapper
cohunt  Offline
trapper
C

revillo, sd
In my opinion, the USPS does a fantastic job, much better than any other system in the world that I have used, and we send more packages than most. I have way more issues with those large or heavy boxes that we ship with FedEx and we just do not use UPS. We have in the past shipped some to Canada and Australia and will not ship to either now due to high costs and delivery problems. I have shipped both to and from several foreign nations, especially Russia and have had poor success ever getting my parcels delivered. The USPS delivers packages to remote little villages and towns where the cost of every delivery far surpasses the fees imposed and it does so because our constitution says that there will be such service.

Peelers two experiences likely did not happen by accident and the USPS does NOT send packages on round trips for no reason. If we assume that the tannery itself did NOT reject the package from him, then I would feel quite certain that someone near the tannery but likely in the shipping system did not like his package due to odor and sent it back to sender. Just does not happen by chance twice. My sole bad recent experience with USPS, like jerry's and peelers all involved packages with goods that might have had contents that some overly sensitive person objected to. Although that would not excuse their decision to send the package back, it likely does explain it. Not much we can expect to change with package handling. As the postal employees offer here, secure your packages MUCH better than you think should be necessary, label securely and be aware that frozen time sensitive contents might require special packaging, freezer packs, priority mailing, Monday mailing, etc and may still become an issue from time to time During this virus, when thousands of postal workers are adversely affected at work and at home, we should all expect that normal delivery schedules will not always be achieved.

Re: Dang USPS! [Re: beaverpeeler] #6876813
05/19/20 11:06 AM
05/19/20 11:06 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline OP
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline OP
trapper

Oregon
Cohunt, that is what I kind of figured that the smell was the issue, except the first time the package hit the guilty facility in Des Moines it could'nt have been too stinky as the small zip loc of tails was frozen solid when shipped, had some insulation around it and only 3 days had elapsed.

Horn sent me a PM stating that in his opinion there was a barcoding glitch making the package loop. That makes sense to me.
My wife receives clothes shipped USPS all the time and they never seem to lose a package.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Dang USPS! [Re: beaverpeeler] #6876869
05/19/20 12:22 PM
05/19/20 12:22 PM
SW MN
R
rbsheadache Offline
trapper
rbsheadache  Offline
trapper
R

SW MN
my skulls were in a priority box. After so long of being in limbo I am sure they stink pretty bad. What do they do with them? Throw them away? Glad to have someone here to hopefully explain. The box was totally taped up with packing tape hoping to keep the smell down if it was delayed. They were all ziplocked also

Ryan
Re: Dang USPS! [Re: beaverpeeler] #6876878
05/19/20 12:30 PM
05/19/20 12:30 PM
revillo, sd
C
cohunt Offline
trapper
cohunt  Offline
trapper
C

revillo, sd
Almost all of the USPS problems I have ever had were at the Des Moines regional facility and our local USPS postmaster with the most years experience has told me several times that almost all their problems take place there. Once they have mishandled (lost usually) a package OR package contents, they are unable to recover the object. I suspect that they have an inside thief or a very bad employee who is too lazy to pick something up once it has fallen off a conveyor belt. There are regional facilities at /near Chicago and at Grand Rapids Michigan that can hold stuff up several days for no apparent reason. Likely personnel issues there also. The flip side, I have had fabulous recoveries of loose items that have fallen out of very poorly packed boxes that found their way to me BUT those all took place after the packages had been received at Sioux Falls SD or our regional facility at Huron SD. I have put this story on tman before when USPS bashing was taking place. I once got a call from my local PO to please drive in. When I got there the postmaster and my rural carrier had the large canvas bag the mail had been delivered in hand. From the bag they removed a large white envelope with my name on it but torn and empty. In the bottom of the bag were 9 loose Morgan silver dollars. I told them that the dollars were indeed meant for me and they handed them over. I looked the dollars over and told the postmaster that one, a late 1800s date dollar was missing. After I left the office he sent that information up the chain of command. A couple days later, I received the single loose dollar in a postal envelope from the Sioux Falls office where a postal employee had found it and turned it in.

Re: Dang USPS! [Re: beaverpeeler] #6877503
05/20/20 08:04 AM
05/20/20 08:04 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Nice story, cohunt. I'm glad you got your dollar coin.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Dang USPS! [Re: beaverpeeler] #6877535
05/20/20 09:14 AM
05/20/20 09:14 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
The majority of the stuff I send out with the USPO is handled well sometimes it’s clown show, you pay for 2-3 day shipping and don’t get it, they claim it’s insured but play games making you jump through hoops until you give up so they won’t pay up. They take extra Insurance funds for items they would never pay out the insurance on. They will take the insurance money no problem but file a claim the ask for unreal documentation to run you through the mill. (The death of a thousand cuts) LOL

It’s not the workers that much it’s the lack of recourse and service if you have any issues and some areas are problem spots, for some reason the east coast and Maine are rough on packages. For what little I have sent there the amount of problems seems greater with packages being lost, damaged and held for whatever reason they make up without even opening the packages.

Poor policies are my beef not the workers so much. I do think the service has gotten worse and they out priced themselves on the smaller flat rate items now. More fees will not fix a poorly run business in the end, I am at the point I avoid sending items I need to get there in 3 days because it might not get there for several day. Fed-ex is my go to for dependable service.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Dang USPS! [Re: Law Dog] #6877820
05/20/20 05:22 PM
05/20/20 05:22 PM
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Duluth, MN
Originally Posted by Law Dog
...they claim it’s insured but play games making you jump through hoops until you give up so they won’t pay up. They take extra Insurance funds for items they would never pay out the insurance on. They will take the insurance money no problem but file a claim the ask for unreal documentation to run you through the mill. (The death of a thousand cuts) LOL

While I don’t have a lot of experience in this area the one time I needed to file a claim I think it took a week from the time I filed until I got the check. Good documentation will help.

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein
Re: Dang USPS! [Re: beaverpeeler] #6877961
05/20/20 09:05 PM
05/20/20 09:05 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
For the amount of mail the PO handles I think they do a fantastic job. I do believe there should be a requirement they have to at least break even.

It's time for politics to get out of the equation and let them charge what it really costs, if they can no longer compete then they no longer compete.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Dang USPS! [Re: Steven 49er] #6878009
05/20/20 09:39 PM
05/20/20 09:39 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by Steven 49er
For the amount of mail the PO handles I think they do a fantastic job. I do believe there should be a requirement they have to at least break even.

It's time for politics to get out of the equation and let them charge what it really costs, if they can no longer compete then they no longer compete.

Well said, Steven.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Dang USPS! [Re: beaverpeeler] #6878149
05/21/20 01:51 AM
05/21/20 01:51 AM
Washington State
H
humptulips Offline
trapper
humptulips  Offline
trapper
H

Washington State
I've shipped literally hundreds of skunks frozen, salted and dried all over the country via USPS and never had a problem. I think they do a great job. Occasionally I get a request to send UPS and I hate doing business with them plus it costs double.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread