No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: Bill.M] #6876736
05/19/20 09:09 AM
05/19/20 09:09 AM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Bill.M
Shot my biggest turkey this year at 25 lbs. Took an hour to bring him in it was a great hunt. If anyone can help with rotating the picture I would appreciate it. I could not get it to rotate even when i used the icons. Thanks

[Linked Image]

Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: Choo] #6876737
05/19/20 09:10 AM
05/19/20 09:10 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
Nice bird!

Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: Choo] #6876765
05/19/20 09:47 AM
05/19/20 09:47 AM
Va
B
bandy Offline
trapper
bandy  Offline
trapper
B

Va
It sucked like a vacuum

No matter where you go there you are.
Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: Choo] #6876808
05/19/20 10:59 AM
05/19/20 10:59 AM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
This was hands down the worst season I've had in 31 years of serious turkey hunting. After the first week, I never heard or saw a single gobbler on hundred of acres around home. I did kill a bird, my heaviest at 24.5 lbs, but that was on another property that I can't hunt all the time. My 11 year old was pretty bummed, not only did he go birdless for the first time, he barely got to go. I just didn't want to take him out there with no hope of hearing let alone seeing a bird. We got on one bird in youth season, and a group of jakes caught us off guard later. That was his entire season. I don't know where the birds went around here, but they're gone.

Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: Choo] #6876892
05/19/20 12:54 PM
05/19/20 12:54 PM
MI
T
trappingmichigan Offline
trapper
trappingmichigan  Offline
trapper
T

MI
I got lucky and connected with this giant. 11.75 inch beard. [Linked Image]

Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: Choo] #6876924
05/19/20 01:36 PM
05/19/20 01:36 PM
Ohio, USA
Ave Offline
trapper
Ave  Offline
trapper

Ohio, USA
It seemed to be a very rough year here. Lots of people who normally kill birds didn’t fill tags. Fortunately I filled one of my tags on a Jake. Many hunters are telling me it’s the worst season they’ve seen.

Ave don't go where the beaver don't flow
Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: Choo] #6876946
05/19/20 02:11 PM
05/19/20 02:11 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Hope some don’t take this wrong, but turkey season has been the same every year since I started hunting turkeys. If you want to kill a turkey they are out there to kill. Some years it takes a little more effort than others, but we get it done. Every piece of property I hunt has turkeys, it’s just up to me to find one that wants to die and one WMA is 20K acres. I’ll scout and have multiple birds located prior to opening day and by the time the season rolls around I’ll know what tree and limb that bird will be on for the next mornings hunt.
If I could only hunt one animal/bird for the rest of my life, it would be the Wild Turkey. I make it a point before every season to make sure I don’t get skunked that year. I get my bird and then help others get on the board and then I’ll find one that gives others fits and go after it. I’m in the woods every single day of turkey season. I’ll even go in the evenings without a gun just to roost one for the following mornings hunt. In all honesty I could have killed 10+ birds in the evenings this year, just not my cup of tea. A turkey must play the game my way or he’ll get a pass. If he’s not strutting or gobbling he lives. I want that image of one coming in gobbling his head off or strutting in like he owns those woods before I’ll pull the trigger. A silent bird coming in to woo a hen doesn’t do it for me.
And to be honest, the main drive behind me trapping is the thought of saving turkeys.

Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: claycreech] #6876951
05/19/20 02:15 PM
05/19/20 02:15 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by claycreech
Originally Posted by bblwi
Mine went well. I had the 2nd season here in WI. Had heavy rain and wind the first whole day but hens moved. The 2nd day was the same until 9 AM then the hens moved around and the tom came out at noon and I was able harvest him. Sorry don't know how to down load the photos. Wow claycreech that is some journey to hunt turkeys. I bet you see some differences in habitats and surroundings.

Bryce

It’s my favorite. I’ve chased them in 14 states. I love hunting them in totally different habitats. This year it was South Georgia swamps and pines, SE Kansas flint hills, North Missouri farm country, and Northern Wisconsin big timber country. I killed 11 longbeards and called 10 in that others killed.

Where were you in South GA? What county?
We’ve always been tempted to hit the Eastern half of Kansas, but if I’m traveling that far I’ll go a few more hours West and get me a Rio.

Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: Wanna Be] #6876975
05/19/20 02:42 PM
05/19/20 02:42 PM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Hope some don’t take this wrong, but turkey season has been the same every year since I started hunting turkeys. If you want to kill a turkey they are out there to kill. Some years it takes a little more effort than others, but we get it done. Every piece of property I hunt has turkeys, it’s just up to me to find one that wants to die and one WMA is 20K acres. I’ll scout and have multiple birds located prior to opening day and by the time the season rolls around I’ll know what tree and limb that bird will be on for the next mornings hunt.
If I could only hunt one animal/bird for the rest of my life, it would be the Wild Turkey. I make it a point before every season to make sure I don’t get skunked that year. I get my bird and then help others get on the board and then I’ll find one that gives others fits and go after it. I’m in the woods every single day of turkey season. I’ll even go in the evenings without a gun just to roost one for the following mornings hunt. In all honesty I could have killed 10+ birds in the evenings this year, just not my cup of tea. A turkey must play the game my way or he’ll get a pass. If he’s not strutting or gobbling he lives. I want that image of one coming in gobbling his head off or strutting in like he owns those woods before I’ll pull the trigger. A silent bird coming in to woo a hen doesn’t do it for me.
And to be honest, the main drive behind me trapping is the thought of saving turkeys.

A year ago I likely would have agreed. But up here in the midwest, at least in my area, they were drastically different than the last 30 years. It probably wouldn't make sense to someone from a more southern climate, I'm not sure. But there's a timeline of events that the turkeys go through each winter/spring. As season comes in, they're still in small flocks, starting to break up but not entirely. By late season they're all separated except for a few groups of 4-5 you'll see sporadically. It's ALWAYS the same. Until this year. When season came in this year the birds were completely broken up out of the winter flocks, and many of the gobblers acted like it was Mid May (up here). That's not to say there wasn't birds to work, but they were extremely hard to find. I have thousands of acres around me that are usually loaded with turkeys in the spring. The last three weeks of season I never heard a single gobble. That includes getting up at daybreak and going to one of the highest points in the area, and just listening. So when you take a sudden lack of birds, and couple it with a year where they act a month ahead of schedule, it’s not always the same.

Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: Choo] #6877012
05/19/20 03:53 PM
05/19/20 03:53 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
#5 in the last hour of a 3 day trip to the Black Hills had 2 come in so this year was 5 for 6.

[Linked Image]

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: Choo] #6877041
05/19/20 04:12 PM
05/19/20 04:12 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Beautiful bird, Law Dog! 5 for 6 is great in anybody's book. Congrats!

Moosetrot

Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: Law Dog] #6877050
05/19/20 04:26 PM
05/19/20 04:26 PM
West Virginia
C
Choo Offline OP
trapper
Choo  Offline OP
trapper
C

West Virginia
Originally Posted by Law Dog
#5 in the last hour of a 3 day trip to the Black Hills had 2 come in so this year was 5 for 6.

[Linked Image]

Is it six birds across the board or so many of each species and in different regions? how big your birds run up there size wise?

Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: Choo] #6877083
05/19/20 05:05 PM
05/19/20 05:05 PM
Pennsylvania
J
JesseA Offline
trapper
JesseA  Offline
trapper
J

Pennsylvania
Had a pretty decent season despite birds being generally quiet. Hunted first 3 days in west Virginia with no luck, then killed a Jake here at home in pa the second thursday before work to complete my first pa triple trophy, then last night on my first evening hunt I filled my second tag on another Jake, and also my first ever with a bow
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: M.Magis] #6877095
05/19/20 05:29 PM
05/19/20 05:29 PM
ohio
S
skippyturtle Offline
trapper
skippyturtle  Offline
trapper
S

ohio
Originally Posted by M.Magis
This was hands down the worst season I've had in 31 years of serious turkey hunting. After the first week, I never heard or saw a single gobbler on hundred of acres around home. I did kill a bird, my heaviest at 24.5 lbs, but that was on another property that I can't hunt all the time. My 11 year old was pretty bummed, not only did he go birdless for the first time, he barely got to go. I just didn't want to take him out there with no hope of hearing let alone seeing a bird. We got on one bird in youth season, and a group of jakes caught us off guard later. That was his entire season. I don't know where the birds went around here, but they're gone.

they didnt go anywhere they went silent. pretty much happened to the whole state. our numbers are not great but there are still birds.

NTA
OSTA
Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: Choo] #6877099
05/19/20 05:34 PM
05/19/20 05:34 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by Choo
Originally Posted by Law Dog

[Linked Image]

Is it six birds across the board or so many of each species and in different regions? how big your birds run up there size wise?

Over all the birds seemed smaller in the places I hunt and less in the Black Hills this year. plenty of birds still just last year we seen a lot more out there where I hunt. Mostly Eastern and Merriam types where I hunt as I'm to cheap to pay for a Florida bird and never hunted Rio's yet but still plan to someday.

So 5 out of 6 total tags if I would of scored the first day I would of headed to WY for the other 2 days.

Last edited by Law Dog; 05/19/20 05:36 PM.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: Wanna Be] #6877104
05/19/20 05:39 PM
05/19/20 05:39 PM
ohio
S
skippyturtle Offline
trapper
skippyturtle  Offline
trapper
S

ohio
Originally Posted by Wanna Be

you probably would not have killed the limit of 2 here in ohio this year. they did not act right at all. i probably only heard 12-15 all season. most of those did not gobble much. now before season they gobbled good.

NTA
OSTA
Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: Choo] #6877178
05/19/20 07:22 PM
05/19/20 07:22 PM
SWEET HOME OREGON
W
willvalley Offline
trapper
willvalley  Offline
trapper
W

SWEET HOME OREGON
My season was pretty short this year. We are allowed 3 birds. One can only shoot one a day. Season starts April 15. On April 23 I was done. I hunted four days. I missed one on the second day I hunted. Lots of turkey here but almost all are on private land.
Ted

FROM MY DEAD HANDS
Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: skippyturtle] #6877192
05/19/20 07:46 PM
05/19/20 07:46 PM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
Originally Posted by skippyturtle

they didnt go anywhere they went silent. pretty much happened to the whole state. our numbers are not great but there are still birds.

Most people I talked to had the same experience as you, birds were there but patterns were WAY off. Around my place though, they’re gone. I only know this because I worked from home this year, and my house overlooks hundreds of acres of farm ground. I checked these fields 20-30 times per day, every day. I can count the number of gobblers I saw on one hand, none since the first week of season. I even put a camera on our farm where I used to kill birds every year. Threw a bucket of cracked corn about once a week, and over a months time not one male bird. Two hens every day, but no gobblers all spring.

Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: M.Magis] #6877221
05/19/20 08:26 PM
05/19/20 08:26 PM
ohio
S
skippyturtle Offline
trapper
skippyturtle  Offline
trapper
S

ohio
Originally Posted by M.Magis
Originally Posted by skippyturtle

Most people I talked to had the same experience as you, birds were there but patterns were WAY off. Around my place though, they’re gone. I only know this because I worked from home this year, and my house overlooks hundreds of acres of farm ground. I checked these fields 20-30 times per day, every day. I can count the number of gobblers I saw on one hand, none since the first week of season. I even put a camera on our farm where I used to kill birds every year. Threw a bucket of cracked corn about once a week, and over a months time not one male bird. Two hens every day, but no gobblers all spring.

that sure sucks. hope they come back. i got a farm that had 4-5 on it before season and up til the first day. we never killed one but they sure shut down and never opened back up. got a primo public spot that the week before season had 23 different birds gobbling in a 2 mile span. first day we heard 5 and killed 3. after that was lucky to hear one in that 2 miles. they was there but not gobbling. we ended up killing 10 this year between 6 of us but man they wouldnt gobble hardly if at all. most were silent or ambush.

NTA
OSTA
Re: How was everyone's Turkey season? [Re: skippyturtle] #6877258
05/19/20 09:02 PM
05/19/20 09:02 PM
Otsego, MI 66
K
K-zoo Offline
trapper
K-zoo  Offline
trapper
K

Otsego, MI 66
Got this one a month ago today. 22.9 lbs, 10.5 in. beard, 1.25 spurs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Member NTA, MTPCA, FTA, NRA, MUCC
2 Cor. 5:17
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread