No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
NTA ALERT/ Defeated by Trappers #6876942
05/19/20 02:06 PM
05/19/20 02:06 PM
SE Minnesota
D
dustytinner Offline OP
trapper
dustytinner  Offline OP
trapper
D

SE Minnesota
*** NTA ALERT - REQUEST MADE TO STOP ALL BEAVER TRAPPING IN OREGON!!***

URGENT!!! 

A request has been made to stop all beaver trapping in Oregon on all National Forests and other public lands. As a citizen of the United States, all National Properties are owned by Americans. Public comment on this issue closes May 24th, so we must act fast. You can voice your opposition to these closures by clicking on this link. 

Odfw.commission@state.or.us

Here is a sample of what you might send:

To whom it may concern,

It has come to my attention that it is being suggested that beaver trapping be closed on all National Forests, Bureau of Land Management lands, National Monuments, Federal Wildlife Refuges, National Parks and National Grasslands in the state of Oregon, for the benefit of Coho Salmon.
Data from the results of similar management tactics in other states reveal this is ineffective. 
As a U.S. citizen owning an interest in all National properties, I am strongly against the possibility of these closures.

Public comment on this issue closes May 24th, so we must act fast. You can voice your opposition to these closures by clicking on the

Life member Minnesota Trappers Association
FTA,Sportsmen's Alliance
Re: NTA ALERT [Re: dustytinner] #6876945
05/19/20 02:10 PM
05/19/20 02:10 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
How do beavers harm coho salmon?

Re: NTA ALERT [Re: dustytinner] #6877128
05/19/20 06:15 PM
05/19/20 06:15 PM
SE Minnesota
D
dustytinner Offline OP
trapper
dustytinner  Offline OP
trapper
D

SE Minnesota
Ttt

FTA,Sportsmen's Alliance
Re: NTA ALERT [Re: charles] #6877138
05/19/20 06:26 PM
05/19/20 06:26 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by charles
How do beavers harm coho salmon?

The possibility of them damming rivers that the salmon spawn in. Thus making it impossible or much harder for those salmon to return to the spawning grounds.

Just my opinion though. I’ll look into and see what research has been done.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: NTA ALERT [Re: dustytinner] #6877139
05/19/20 06:31 PM
05/19/20 06:31 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
I believe it has to do with water temperatures more

Re: NTA ALERT [Re: dustytinner] #6877148
05/19/20 06:38 PM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

So it would increase the temperature of the water right? Causing the spawn to be slower?

If we stop beaver trapping that will increase the beaver population.

So Charles’ question should be how do beavers help Coho Salmon?

Interesting! I would think we should trap more of them so they can run better.

Also get rid of man made dams.

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: NTA ALERT [Re: MChewk] #6877149
MT
D
DavidInMT Offline
trapper
DavidInMT  Offline
trapper
D

MT
The antis are trying to argue that beavers and their dams provide the best slow/cool water environments for Coho salmon populations, and so they argue that removing beaver hurts the river environment Coho salmon do best in. If you want something to send, feel free to cut and paste anything from what I sent:
_______

To whom it may concern,

Animal rights groups want you to incorrectly believe that a complete ban on beaver trapping on all National Forest and other public lands will singlehandedly and miraculously correct the multidimensional issues facing Coho Salmon populations in Oregon and across the west. I wish to firmly voice my respectful disagreement with the proposal to ban beaver trapping, using the support of scientific evidence, and recommend that you vote against banning beaver trapping in any area.

Beaver trapping is a regulated activity in Oregon which already allows for the scientific management of this keystone species by Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.

One only needs to look south to California to see that trapping bans will NOT correct Coho Salmon populations. For example, a 1998 ballot initiative in California banned leg-hold traps, conibear traps, and snares; thereby virtually eliminating the primary methods for beaver trapping. Yet, after 1998, scientific analysis of Coho Salmon populations across California reveals that their numbers did not miraculously or dramatically increase as a result of California's trap bans.

Therefore, scientific analysis of data available to date does NOT support an all-out beaver trapping ban to protect Coho Salmon populations. Please vote against banning beaver trapping, as trapping is already a regulated activity in the great state of Oregon. The bottom line is this: the push to ban beaver trapping is an animal rights initiative, not an environmental initiative.

Respectfully,

David
Re: NTA ALERT [Re: DavidInMT] #6877154
05/19/20 06:47 PM
05/19/20 06:47 PM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by DavidInMT
The antis are trying to argue that beavers and their dams provide the best slow/cool water environments for Coho salmon populations, and so they argue that removing beaver hurts the river environment Coho salmon do best in. If you want something to send, feel free to cut and paste anything from what I sent:
_______

To whom it may concern,

Animal rights groups want you to incorrectly believe that a complete ban on beaver trapping on all National Forest and other public lands will singlehandedly and miraculously correct the multidimensional issues facing Coho Salmon populations in Oregon and across the west. I wish to firmly voice my respectful disagreement with the proposal to ban beaver trapping, using the support of scientific evidence, and recommend that you vote against banning beaver trapping in any area.

Beaver trapping is a regulated activity in Oregon which already allows for the scientific management of this keystone species by Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.

One only needs to look south to California to see that trapping bans will NOT correct Coho Salmon populations. For example, a 1998 ballot initiative in California banned leg-hold traps, conibear traps, and snares; thereby virtually eliminating the primary methods for beaver trapping. Yet, after 1998, scientific analysis of Coho Salmon populations across California reveals that their numbers did not miraculously or dramatically increase as a result of California's trap bans.

Therefore, scientific analysis of data available to date does NOT support an all-out beaver trapping ban to protect Coho Salmon populations. Please vote against banning beaver trapping, as trapping is already a regulated activity in the great state of Oregon. The bottom line is this: the push to ban beaver trapping is an animal rights initiative, not an environmental initiative.

Respectfully,

So just send that to the email that Dustytinner provided? Got it!!

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: NTA ALERT [Re: DelawareRob] #6877158
05/19/20 06:49 PM
05/19/20 06:49 PM
MT
D
DavidInMT Offline
trapper
DavidInMT  Offline
trapper
D

MT
That's what I did. I got the same NTA notice that Dusty provided. Hopefully it helps.

David
Re: NTA ALERT [Re: DavidInMT] #6877160
05/19/20 06:51 PM
05/19/20 06:51 PM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by DavidInMT
That's what I did. I got the same NTA notice that Dusty provided. Hopefully it helps.

Thanks, apparently I’m not getting those notices for some reason.

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: NTA ALERT [Re: dustytinner] #6877210
05/19/20 08:01 PM
05/19/20 08:01 PM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Hopefully it does help. I can only speak for Delaware. But, here they take the public’s opinion into consideration but base their decisions on science backed research. Not special interest groups.

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: NTA ALERT [Re: dustytinner] #6877259
05/19/20 09:02 PM
05/19/20 09:02 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
What changed -- I thought it was just the siuslaw nf. I still don't understand the reasoning behind it (or the trask river) and i know about the marten thing, but what group ( by name )is behind this thing .

Re: NTA ALERT [Re: dustytinner] #6877343
05/19/20 10:41 PM
05/19/20 10:41 PM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
It is my understanding that two retired OSU professors from the F&W department are trying to get it shut down on all federal land. I do not know their names. The ones behind the Siuslaw closure are the folks that manage (mismanage) that particular forest.

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: NTA ALERT [Re: dustytinner] #6877357
05/19/20 11:01 PM
05/19/20 11:01 PM
Oregon
R
RockCrick Offline
trapper
RockCrick  Offline
trapper
R

Oregon
So I guess the roughly 1/2 to 2/3rds of the state that is upstream of Lake Billy Chinook and everything that drains upstream of (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman)’s Canyon Dam and everything in the high desert that either doesn’t drain out of state or goes to Nevada; or the entire Klamath basin should all have beaver trapping banned to protect Coho? Those areas either never had Coho or they are now cut off from anadromous access so Coho couldn’t get there to spawn if they wanted too, but I guess we better protect the beaver to protect the Coho in case they sprout wings and fly over dams? Or did I misunderstand?

Re: NTA ALERT [Re: dustytinner] #6877412
05/20/20 12:33 AM
05/20/20 12:33 AM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
Makes sense -- corvalis, eugene, portland, bend -- not much difference between them anymore. I never had a huge amount of respect for osu even though they claim to be the ag college, but it is diminishing even more by the day.

Re: NTA ALERT [Re: dustytinner] #6878157
05/21/20 04:00 AM
05/21/20 04:00 AM
MT
D
DavidInMT Offline
trapper
DavidInMT  Offline
trapper
D

MT
Let's keep helping out Oregon during their public comment period by continuing to send stuff like arguments below. Feel free to copy and paste anything you like from below, or cut out anything you don't like. Some of this is copied and pasted from RockCrick's great arguments (Thank you, RockCrick). Nothing says you can't comment more than once... because I'm sure the anti's are commenting more than once.

To whom it may concern,

The argument to end beaver trapping under the guise of protecting Coho Salmon populations is a FALSE argument that is not supported using unbiased scientific data.

Fact #1: California's salmon populations are also failing even though the state virtually banned all public beaver trapping when they outlawed almost all methods of trapping beaver in 1998, and California's salmon populations did not rebound after the 1998 trap bans.

Fact #2: The 1960s saw substantial salmon populations in California, even though beaver trapping was occurring in greater frequency before that time, and with the consistent fall of trapper numbers in California over the past quarter of a century, Salmon populations have NOT inversely increased as a result.

Fact #3: Removing trapping as a management tool for beaver populations conflicts with the science-based North American Wildlife Conservation Model, which is the foundation for maintaining the healthiest and most successful wildlife populations in the world. Beaver trapping is already an activity regulated by Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, and has been managed successfully without a beaver trapping ban on public lands.

Fact #4: Trappers do not want to eliminate beaver populations from the Oregon landscape but want to work alongside other conservationists to maintain healthy beaver and Coho salmon habitat for the benefit of Oregon's environment and for the continued sustained use of wildlife resources.

Fact #5: If this push to ban beaver trapping was actually about protecting the Coho salmon population, this would be a part of a multifaceted push for: widespread dam removals; fish passage constructions at existing dams so Coho could access the thousands of miles of stream habitat that is blocked off by all of the dams across the state; livestock grazing bans/restrictions along streams and rivers used by Coho salmon; commercial ocean fishing bans/restrictions; greater restrictions against timber companies to leave larger stream buffers and willow plantings at logging sites; increased sea lion removals; more Coho reintroduction programs to seed streams that don’t have any Coho. Please do not misunderstand me - I am not advocating for all of these things within my letter, but merely pointing out each of these things to show how the push to ban beaver trapping is really an animal rights initiative and not an environmental initiative to address the multifaceted issues that Coho salmon face.

In summation, the above facts refute the FALSE argument that banning beaver trapping on public lands in Oregon will protect and save Coho salmon populations. The push to end beaver trapping in Oregon is an animal rights initiative, NOT an environmental initiative, and this push is not based on unbiased scientific analysis of all data available to date. Please vote AGAINST any beaver trapping ban.

Respectfully

David
Re: NTA ALERT [Re: dustytinner] #6888935
06/03/20 05:21 AM
06/03/20 05:21 AM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Thanks guys for making that easy. Sent

Life sure is tough when you don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Re: NTA ALERT [Re: dustytinner] #6888936
06/03/20 05:22 AM
06/03/20 05:22 AM
Eau Claire Wi
Trap Setter Offline
trapper
Trap Setter  Offline
trapper

Eau Claire Wi
Well they auto replied fast enough. Lol [Linked Image]

Life sure is tough when you don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Re: NTA ALERT [Re: dustytinner] #6896818
06/11/20 05:41 PM
06/11/20 05:41 PM
MN
M
Mark K Offline
trapper
Mark K  Offline
trapper
M

MN
Don't forget what happened when MA did that. Everyone was crapping through a screen door.

Re: NTA ALERT [Re: dustytinner] #6898341
06/13/20 09:01 AM
06/13/20 09:01 AM
SE Minnesota
D
dustytinner Offline OP
trapper
dustytinner  Offline OP
trapper
D

SE Minnesota
THATS GREAT NEWS!!!!

Thank you to all that took time to help!

FTA,Sportsmen's Alliance
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread