No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! #6877241
05/19/20 08:52 PM
05/19/20 08:52 PM
Oregon
O
OregonBeaver Offline OP
trapper
OregonBeaver  Offline OP
trapper
O

Oregon
A request has been made to stop all beaver trapping in Oregon on all National Forests and other public lands. Public comment on this issue closes May 24th, so we must act fast. You can voice your support for these closures by sending an email to the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife Commission here:

Odfw.commission@state.or.us.

Re: Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! [Re: OregonBeaver] #6877247
05/19/20 08:55 PM
05/19/20 08:55 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Thanx will do

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! [Re: OregonBeaver] #6877252
05/19/20 08:56 PM
05/19/20 08:56 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

East of the Mason-Dixon Line
Done! See the thread pinned to the top also.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! [Re: OregonBeaver] #6877254
05/19/20 08:57 PM
05/19/20 08:57 PM
Indiana
K
keystone Offline
trapper
keystone  Offline
trapper
K

Indiana
God promised he would never flood the earth again so they could never ban beaver trapping!

Re: Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! [Re: OregonBeaver] #6877328
05/19/20 10:12 PM
05/19/20 10:12 PM
OR
C
Catcollector Offline
trapper
Catcollector  Offline
trapper
C

OR
Thanks for posting! I sent a email a week ago... They'll always try to find an angle to further their agenda of ending what we do

Re: Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! [Re: OregonBeaver] #6877377
05/19/20 11:35 PM
05/19/20 11:35 PM

W
Wylee
Unregistered
Wylee
Unregistered
W

Email sent from the last thread on this subject. I started trapping not long ago yet can’t imagine it being shut down in Oregon...or any where else for that matter. I’m sorry you folks are having to deal with this and likely have to again and again. From my point of view having lived in Oregon for 35 years, the state needs a massive political cleansing not to meantion cleaning up the other riff raff that now plagues certain areas.

Re: Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! [Re: OregonBeaver] #6877408
05/20/20 12:27 AM
05/20/20 12:27 AM
Oregon
R
RockCrick Offline
trapper
RockCrick  Offline
trapper
R

Oregon

So I guess the roughly 2/3rds of the state that is upstream of Billy Chinook on the Deschutes; and everything that is upstream of H€lls Canyon Dam; and everything in the high desert that either doesn’t drain out of state or goes to Nevada; or the entire Klamath basin; or any area in a Cascade or Coastal drainage that is upstream of a dam with no fish passage should all have beaver trapping banned to protect Coho? Those areas either never had Coho or they are now cut off from anadromous access. So Coho couldn’t get there to spawn if they wanted to, but I guess we better protect the beaver to protect the Coho that aren’t/never were/cannot access in most of the state?

Not to mention there are plenty of National Forest areas that don’t allow beaver trapping in the current regulations. Surprisingly, those areas aren’t teaming with Coho.

Re: Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! [Re: OregonBeaver] #6877420
05/20/20 12:52 AM
05/20/20 12:52 AM

W
Wylee
Unregistered
Wylee
Unregistered
W

Rockcrick you should put a stamp on that and mail it in!

Re: Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! [Re: ] #6877424
05/20/20 01:10 AM
05/20/20 01:10 AM
MT
D
DavidInMT Offline
trapper
DavidInMT  Offline
trapper
D

MT
I agree with Wylee... Rockcrick, please put that in an email to them. Those are very good points that need to be brought to their attention, and others here should emphasize those points to them too, please.

David
Re: Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! [Re: ] #6877491
05/20/20 07:29 AM
05/20/20 07:29 AM
N.J.
PineDoggin Offline
trapper
PineDoggin  Offline
trapper

N.J.
Originally Posted by dirtydogtrapping
To whom it may concern,

Animal rights groups want you to incorrectly believe that a complete ban on beaver trapping on all National Forest and other public lands will singlehandedly and miraculously correct the multidimensional issues facing Coho Salmon populations in Oregon and across the west. I wish to firmly voice my respectful disagreement with the proposal to ban beaver trapping, using the support of scientific evidence, and recommend that you vote against banning beaver trapping in any area.

Beaver trapping is a regulated activity in Oregon which already allows for the scientific management of this keystone species by Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.

One only needs to look south to California to see that trapping bans will NOT correct Coho Salmon populations. For example, a 1998 ballot initiative in California banned leg-hold traps, conibear traps, and snares; thereby virtually eliminating the primary methods for beaver trapping. Yet, after 1998, scientific analysis of Coho Salmon populations across California reveals that their numbers did not miraculously or dramatically increase as a result of California's trap bans.

Therefore, scientific analysis of data available to date does NOT support an all-out beaver trapping ban to protect Coho Salmon populations. Please vote against banning beaver trapping, as trapping is already a regulated activity in the great state of Oregon. The bottom line is this: the push to ban beaver trapping is an animal rights initiative, not an environmental initiative.

Respectfully,
Please copy and send in to help our fight against the anti's.

Sent!

Re: Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! [Re: OregonBeaver] #6877497
05/20/20 07:41 AM
05/20/20 07:41 AM
Iowa
C
coydog2 Offline
trapper
coydog2  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
I sent it out yesterday and got a reply will forward it they stated.

Life member of DAV,NTA,NRA,ITA.Also member of FTA,CBA
Re: Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! [Re: OregonBeaver] #6877504
05/20/20 08:06 AM
05/20/20 08:06 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
I did not read all the post above. Why do you want to band beaver trapping?

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! [Re: ] #6877549
05/20/20 09:38 AM
05/20/20 09:38 AM
Oregon
R
RockCrick Offline
trapper
RockCrick  Offline
trapper
R

Oregon
Originally Posted by Wylee
Rockcrick you should put a stamp on that and mail it in!

Lol, I’ll be drafting a letter but just couldn’t resist a rant last night. I could go on all day how this is the most asinine proposal that the anti groups have ever put out in Oregon and they’ve had some really doozies.

The bottom line is that this isn’t about Coho, it’s about making headway on their anti trapping agenda. If it was about Coho they’d be advocating for dam removal or fish passage construction at existing dams so Coho could access the thousands of miles of stream habitat that is blocked off by the hundreds of dams in the state. They’d be advocating for commercial ocean fishing restrictions. If they really wanted to help Coho they should be paying trappers to live catch beavers and relocate them to Coho habitats. They’d be paying timber companies to
leave larger stream buffers on logging sites and then paying for willow plantings on those streams. They’d be advocating for more sea lion removal. They’d be advocating for more Coho reintroduction programs to seed streams that don’t have any Coho. Those are what a true conservation group would do to help Coho, but again this isn’t about Coho and it never was.

I am still trying to figure out why Washington and California don’t have bountiful Coho populations since they have both restricted trapping for over two decades. It’s almost like dams, habitat destruction, sea lions, poor ocean conditions (food for Coho) and ocean commercial fishing is having a greater effect than a few beaver being trapped in public land. Why not ban beaver trapping statewide to save the Coho? Of course not, their previous anti trapping proposal a few years back was dead in the water when polling indicated it infringed on private property rights too much. And finally, with all of the beaver trapping that occurred in the 1800s, far more than today, why weren’t Coho wiped out then? Oh, none of the other factors negatively impacting salmon existed back then? It’s almost like beaver trapping isn’t the issue here...

Re: Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! [Re: OregonBeaver] #6877649
05/20/20 01:17 PM
05/20/20 01:17 PM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI
What is their angle on this? Why does beaver trapping supposedly adversely affect salmon populations? I would think the opposite would be true. Don't beaver dams hinder the spawn.

Re: Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! [Re: OregonBeaver] #6877682
05/20/20 02:02 PM
05/20/20 02:02 PM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
Beaver dams slow current and create rearing ponds for smolt.

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! [Re: BvrRetriever] #6877693
05/20/20 02:24 PM
05/20/20 02:24 PM
Oregon
R
RockCrick Offline
trapper
RockCrick  Offline
trapper
R

Oregon
In a nutshell, The argument is that beaver ponds create juvenile Coho habitat before they migrate to the ocean. There is some science behind the concept that Coho do better over the long term when there is beaver ponds in their juvenile habitat. However on a year to year basis beaver dams could certainly impede migration for adults. The connection between Coho and beaver is made over the course of thousands of years of evolution. Beavers can have negative impacts on a year to year basis since they could impede migration and add a ton of silt to spawning gravels when a dam is breached during a flood event and all the silt is released. The long term positive effect is that beaver ponds grow more insects and provide deeper water for juvenile fish to overwinter and also hunker down during a flood event. I argue the point that when dealing with small populations, having an impediment like a dam to block migration will have a greater negative effect than a stream with less beaver dams where it is easier for fish to access the upper reaches where water is cooler and the spawning gravel is cleaner. Salmon can’t spawn in muddy or warmer streams and they can’t wait and come back next year if they can’t access where they want to go. However there are way more factors having a much greater impact than a few beavers being trapped in Oregon. I’d love to know how many are even trapped on public lands that would be considered salmon spawning habitat. Most of the anadromous streams are already closed to beaver trapping in eastern oregon on National Forest land. I would venture that very few of the actual streams that are fully dammed by beavers are actually trapped due to access and most beaver harvest occurs in irrigation ditches and lower sections of rivers where they can’t build a full dam anyways. This petition is just taking a problem and inventing a solution that doesn’t do anything other than make strides in an agenda. Why are concrete dams bad but beaver dams good for salmon? I’d love for someone to ask that of the anti group for explanation in front of the commission.

Re: Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! [Re: OregonBeaver] #6877705
05/20/20 02:46 PM
05/20/20 02:46 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Does the state flag have a beaver on it ? Maybe that's why LOL

Re: Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! [Re: OregonBeaver] #6877730
05/20/20 03:19 PM
05/20/20 03:19 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
The WI state flag has a beaver on it. We get the same garbage from liberal yuppies in Madison that try and ban beaver trapping just about every year saying they create marshes needed to filter water or something like that. Usually passes in our spring hearings that are open to public voting in that county.

Meanwhile APHIS kills beaver and otter hand over fist in direct competition with license buying trappers in other parts of the state in the name of preserving trout streams.

Last edited by tlguy; 05/20/20 03:21 PM.
Re: Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! [Re: OregonBeaver] #6877732
05/20/20 03:22 PM
05/20/20 03:22 PM
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
And here we pay guys 20 bucks a beaver to shoot them and provide proof with the end of the tail.

Last edited by rvsask; 05/20/20 03:22 PM.
Re: Oregon's trying to ban beaver trapping!! [Re: OregonBeaver] #6877920
05/20/20 08:08 PM
05/20/20 08:08 PM
Iowa,
E
eedup Offline
trapper
eedup  Offline
trapper
E

Iowa,
Sent mine. I used several of the arguments listed in this post and at the post pinned to the top. Please send your email opposing this petition to ban beaver trapping. You really can make it short by just asking the commission to use science and data in their decision. We need volumes of emails as this commission seems to ignore science and listen to the sheer numbers of anti's ! ! THANKS

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread