No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Xtra PC ? #6879207
05/22/20 11:14 AM
05/22/20 11:14 AM
Huntingdon Co. Pa.
F
forestman3 Offline OP
trapper
forestman3  Offline OP
trapper
F

Huntingdon Co. Pa.
It`s a gadget that is said to make a computer that doesn`t work any more work again.I have an older computer with some pictures I would like to get back if I could get it to work again.Has anyone on here ever tried this thing?

Re: Xtra PC ? [Re: forestman3] #6879219
05/22/20 11:25 AM
05/22/20 11:25 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
seems to be a USB boot device. only reads from and writes to the device

if you just need the files you may be able to use an adapter to hook your hard drive to another PC no boot needed if it will read from the drive files can be recovered.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Xtra PC ? [Re: forestman3] #6879220
05/22/20 11:28 AM
05/22/20 11:28 AM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
I had one computer crash hard took it to a local shop and the young kid said go grab an beer next door I'll have your files in like half hour. Got all my photos and every thing else off it. Even stuff from other users that I didn't know passwords for. Might try taking it to a good repair shop

Re: Xtra PC ? [Re: forestman3] #6879260
05/22/20 12:08 PM
05/22/20 12:08 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by forestman3
It`s a gadget that is said to make a computer that doesn`t work any more work again.I have an older computer with some pictures I would like to get back if I could get it to work again.Has anyone on here ever tried this thing?

The way I understand it is that the device bypasses your hard drive and runs your computer instead from the device not your computers hard drive meaning that anything on your hard drive is inaccessible which is why they show on the commercials it running a computer without one

If you want to recover your old files and the drive is not damaged get yourself a drive encloser and remove the drive and put it in the enclosure and you should be able to access them just like it was a portable hard drive

You should be able to pick up a drive enclosure for around 20 bucks or so lots cheaper then taking it to a shop and when your done you have a portable hard drive for backup storage

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Xtra PC ? [Re: forestman3] #6879273
05/22/20 12:21 PM
05/22/20 12:21 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
By the way once something is placed on a hard drive it’s there forever even if you use one of those so called file shredding programs all it really does is write over the file over and over a million times or more but guess what if someone wants what’s there it’s still recoverable just takes longer to peel the layers back and there are a actually programs that will do it for you

So if you have a computer that you have sensitive information on and decide to get rid of it you need to remove the hard drive and destroy it physically

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Xtra PC ? [Re: nightlife] #6879353
05/22/20 02:08 PM
05/22/20 02:08 PM
Happy Valley
CoonsBane Offline
trapper
CoonsBane  Offline
trapper

Happy Valley
Originally Posted by nightlife
By the way once something is placed on a hard drive it’s there forever even if you use one of those so called file shredding programs all it really does is write over the file over and over a million times or more but guess what if someone wants what’s there it’s still recoverable just takes longer to peel the layers back and there are a actually programs that will do it for you

So if you have a computer that you have sensitive information on and decide to get rid of it you need to remove the hard drive and destroy it physically

True, good advice from Hillary.

Re: Xtra PC ? [Re: forestman3] #6879355
05/22/20 02:13 PM
05/22/20 02:13 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
that is why there are hard drive shredders , when your drive leaves the building in 1/4 inch pieces with 100 other drives recovery isn't an issue

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Xtra PC ? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6879361
05/22/20 02:25 PM
05/22/20 02:25 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
that is why there are hard drive shredders , when your drive leaves the building in 1/4 inch pieces with 100 other drives recovery isn't an issue

Even then it's still retrievable. Crush, demagnetize and incinerate.

I've seen that device on TV but IDE to USB cables have been our forever. Just have to get the right connection as they aren't all the same.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread