No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Here's a first #6881494
05/24/20 11:15 PM
05/24/20 11:15 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline OP
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline OP
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
The wife and I were in our living room this afternoon when we heard a distinct thud of something hitting our house.The wife was looking out the sliding door in our backyard and said a turkey just rolled off the roof!Looking out the door here was a large Tom,trying to get up.One wing was broke but he was struggling to get up.I watched him for a minute,then decided to put him out of his misery.Grabbing my shotgun I walked around the house to find him dead.He carried a 9" beard. When I picked him up I looked at where he rolled off the roof and saw Breast
feathers on the roof at the base of the chimney.Looking back towards the peak of the house I noticed the drip edge at the very peak damaged.I guess he flew into the roof peak,then cartwheels into the chimney before sliding down the roof.I've heard of ruffed grouse doing some crazy things in flight but never a turkey.What makes it more bizarre is we live in farm country,no trees around the house to hide it from view.A turkey hunting fanatic friend of mine said I should have taken pictures,he'd never heard of such a thing.

Last edited by Buck (Zandra); 05/24/20 11:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Here's a first [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6881517
05/25/20 12:59 AM
05/25/20 12:59 AM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
I had a nuisance call a few years back. Woman had a turkey slam into the side of her house and was now dead at her doorstep. Just wanted someone to take it away. Got her address and drove out there. Called DEP enroute as I needed a tag to possess the carcass out of season. DEP met me on scene and was filling out a tag for me and asked if I was going to breast it out or cook it whole or deep fry it. He made out a tag and I grabbed it plus my service fee from the customer. I cooked it whole and shared it with my neighbor's family. Good eating , no shotgun shells wasted , plus collected a fee from the homeowner.

Good day , got paid and dinner....... grin

NRA benefactor member
Re: Here's a first [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6881595
05/25/20 08:05 AM
05/25/20 08:05 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Sure would have been cool to be standing outside and watched it happen.

Re: Here's a first [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6881605
05/25/20 08:17 AM
05/25/20 08:17 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Nice.I got two wood ducks once that flew Into the side of a barn.Can see you trying to explain your story to a game warden.......lol..... grin

Nevada bound
Re: Here's a first [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6881628
05/25/20 08:57 AM
05/25/20 08:57 AM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Buck , the sound of the bird hitting the house was described to me by the woman who lived there as like a bowling ball hitting the house , there was also a kinda 'splat' mark where it hit , just the dust/dirt disturbed, no feathers. She also stated it shook the house a little bit.

How loud was your impact ?

NRA benefactor member
Re: Here's a first [Re: Cragar] #6881650
05/25/20 09:20 AM
05/25/20 09:20 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Cragar
Buck , the sound of the bird hitting the house was described to me by the woman who lived there as like a bowling ball hitting the house , there was also a kinda 'splat' mark where it hit , just the dust/dirt disturbed, no feathers. She also stated it shook the house a little bit.

I wonder when she had heard a bowling ball hit the house ....to compare.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Here's a first [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6881682
05/25/20 09:48 AM
05/25/20 09:48 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Had a buddy chasing a pair of birds near a black top road. He finally got one to commit and at the shot the other took off flying. Well just about that time a panel truck was coming down the road and he heard a loud splat like something had either hit the truck or the truck hit something. He gathered up his bird and eased out to the road to see the other Tom in the middle of the road dead. He said it was a one shot two bird kill, lol.

Re: Here's a first [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6881720
05/25/20 10:41 AM
05/25/20 10:41 AM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline OP
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline OP
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Originally Posted by Cragar

The bowling ball analogy would be a pretty accurate description.We were in the front of the house,our century plus old farmhouse has a shed attached and thats what he hit.You knew something substantial hit.We have bird feeders around the porch and once in a while a bird fl ies into a window with a loud thud,we're used to that.When that turkey hit it definitely made you stand up and take notice.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Here's a first [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6881739
05/25/20 11:01 AM
05/25/20 11:01 AM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Buck , thanks for the comments , I wasn't there for the impact , so I'm just comparing notes. I figured she was kinda accurate in her description as a 10-20lb bird moving at speed would be a significant noise.

Had another incident with one , turkey crashed into a 2nd floor bedroom by going through 2 panes of glass and a screen. Homeowner initially thought it was the furnace backfiring and checked downstairs in the basement first. He stated also that the house shook a little bit. I was called in to remove the bird , about a 10ish pound hen. It was unbelievably uninjured so it was released outside.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Here's a first [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6881817
05/25/20 12:42 PM
05/25/20 12:42 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Was sitting in a medical waiting room about fifty years ago when a covey of bobwhite quail collided with a large plate glass window. I picked up several that were dead. Left the injured ones.

Re: Here's a first [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #6881838
05/25/20 01:16 PM
05/25/20 01:16 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I was outside, a little after dark, walking in my driveway, while talking on my cell phone and a great horned owl came soaring over me, tucked it's wing and slammed into the wire over a window of my quarantine barn. The owl bounced back about 14 foot and just lay on the ground. There were 2 guineas sleeping on the window sill inside and the owl must have never seen the wire, when it dove to catch them. It mostly hit the wire with it's feet. By the time I there, the owl stood up and then flew off. The owl broke many of the wires, where they were nailed to the wood.

Keith

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread