No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Question For Police [Re: ] #6883651
05/27/20 07:21 PM
05/27/20 07:21 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Poor decisions result in people dying all the time.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Question For Police [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6883657
05/27/20 07:30 PM
05/27/20 07:30 PM
Kiel,Wisconsin
H
Hatchetman Offline
trapper
Hatchetman  Offline
trapper
H

Kiel,Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.
Originally Posted by Hatchetman
So for all you LEO's out there.
What's the sense in kneeling on the back of someones neck after you got him/her cuffed?

I might be going out on a limb here, but if you have a cops knee on your neck you probably did something to deserve it. Time to man up and take your medicine.

I couldn't agree more. A cop has to do what ever it takes to subdo a belligerent bad guy.

Re read my post. I said AFTER the bad guy is cuffed.

Re: Question For Police [Re: ] #6883662
05/27/20 07:40 PM
05/27/20 07:40 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Handcuffs only hold your hands together. Everything else still works.
Back in the day before meth and other great drugs were discovered, and folks respected LEO, things went much better. Now, folks are arseholes and that makes the cops bad guys?

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Question For Police [Re: Hatchetman] #6883689
05/27/20 08:29 PM
05/27/20 08:29 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa

Still ok with it. Unless the perp isn't resisting any more. Then it is time to ease up, some. Remember this person put their self in this position. You don't end up with a cops knee on your neck for jay walking. I suppose there is that < 1% chance but I doubt we are talking about that.

This does not sound like one of those no knocks that were at the wrong house.

I tend to believe that the cops do what they believe is necessary at the time. I highly doubt that any of them want to kill anyone.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: Question For Police [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6883772
05/27/20 10:34 PM
05/27/20 10:34 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny

Still ok with it. Unless the perp isn't resisting any more. Then it is time to ease up, some. Remember this person put their self in this position. You don't end up with a cops knee on your neck for jay walking. I suppose there is that < 1% chance but I doubt we are talking about that.

This does not sound like one of those no knocks that were at the wrong house.

I tend to believe that the cops do what they believe is necessary at the time. I highly doubt that any of them want to kill anyone.

Did you see the video?Cop kept his knee on the guys neck for at least four minutes AFTER the guy was unconscious.Im sure he did something to get into that mess,,but if a cop cant tell when someone is TOAST,,hes in the wrong line of work.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Question For Police [Re: Pike River] #6883816
05/27/20 11:30 PM
05/27/20 11:30 PM
Water Valley, Mississippi
cheechako Offline
trapper
cheechako  Offline
trapper

Water Valley, Mississippi
Originally Posted by Pike River
What's the sense in kneeling on the back of someones neck after you got him/her cuffed?

There really is none. The cop was poorly trained. His fellow officers should've also been alert enough to let him know. Its a systematic failure more than a "rogue" cop.

X2 the knee goes across the top of the shoulder, never on the neck.

The trapper formerly known as sanfo008
Re: Question For Police [Re: upstateNY] #6883825
05/27/20 11:50 PM
05/27/20 11:50 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Originally Posted by upstateNY

Did you see the video?Cop kept his knee on the guys neck for at least four minutes AFTER the guy was unconscious.Im sure he did something to get into that mess,,but if a cop cant tell when someone is TOAST,,hes in the wrong line of work.

Nope, didn't see it. I thought it was a open question and not one asked about one event. I am not a cop. Are you? I bet that those four minutes were about ten seconds for the cop. Everybody can look back at it and say what they would have done but they were not the one there at the time.

Let's just say that the cop took his knee off of the perp after her was cuffed. But the cop that put the cuffs on put them on a little loose since he was worried about getting in trouble for putting them on too tight. Now the guy jumps up, slips out of the cuffs and gets into it with one of the cops. Some how he manages to grab his gun and shoots one of the officers. Would that make you feel better?

Re: Question For Police [Re: ] #6883828
05/27/20 11:54 PM
05/27/20 11:54 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
wow

Re: Question For Police [Re: ] #6883831
05/28/20 12:00 AM
05/28/20 12:00 AM
Indiana
H
Huntall76 Offline
trapper
Huntall76  Offline
trapper
H

Indiana
Did they ever say why he was being detained/arrested?

Re: Question For Police [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6883837
05/28/20 12:45 AM
05/28/20 12:45 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny

Nope, didn't see it. I thought it was a open question and not one asked about one event. I am not a cop. Are you? I bet that those four minutes were about ten seconds for the cop. Everybody can look back at it and say what they would have done but they were not the one there at the time.

Let's just say that the cop took his knee off of the perp after her was cuffed. But the cop that put the cuffs on put them on a little loose since he was worried about getting in trouble for putting them on too tight. Now the guy jumps up, slips out of the cuffs and gets into it with one of the cops. Some how he manages to grab his gun and shoots one of the officers. Would that make you feel better?

Hahaha,,I see.Instead of watching the actual evidence,,,youd rather make up a fantastical story.HahahaaaaMaybe you should go write a fantasy book.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Question For Police [Re: Huntall76] #6883840
05/28/20 01:07 AM
05/28/20 01:07 AM
NW Wisconsin
M
Muskrat Love Offline
trapper
Muskrat Love  Offline
trapper
M

NW Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Huntall76

It was for passing a phony $20.00 bill.

"I'm an old dog, and these are all new tricks!"
Re: Question For Police [Re: upstateNY] #6883841
05/28/20 01:11 AM
05/28/20 01:11 AM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa

Hahaha,,I see.Instead of watching the actual evidence,,,youd rather make up a fantastical story.HahahaaaaMaybe you should go write a fantasy book.

This thread was started as open question about how police react. Some have decided to focus on one case that has happened. Good job avoiding the questions by the way. I will say that I agree with you most of the time, but cop bashing, not so much. I was not talking about this case, tho it looks like I will have to look into it.

Maybe you can start a thread about people who make bad decision and why they shouldn't die.

Re: Question For Police [Re: Hatchetman] #6883847
05/28/20 03:49 AM
05/28/20 03:49 AM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN

Was not his first murder

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: Question For Police [Re: Muskrat Love] #6883848
05/28/20 03:50 AM
05/28/20 03:50 AM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
Originally Posted by Muskrat Love

Not a bad check that really wasnt bad

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: Question For Police [Re: ] #6883849
05/28/20 04:22 AM
05/28/20 04:22 AM
Maine
S
SleekOtter Offline
trapper
SleekOtter  Offline
trapper
S

Maine
For J Staton: People will often say stuff to delay going to jail or getting a chance to get away. Handcuffs are too tight, pregnant, suicidal, parents are on their deathbed, kids home alone, etc. Every claim warrants some type of deeper investigation because it's always better safe than sorry.

Speaking only for my state, the training is to stay away from striking, kneeling, restricting, etc. Anywhere that isn't a large muscle group unless deadly force us justified. Kneeling on his neck is incredibly poor training. I would assume he wasn't trained that way but he never got much continuing training on MARC which like a lot of things is a perishable skill.

It's also written in many state laws and included by some instructors that if somebody can speak or breathe it's not considered strangulation. A civil suit can play out differently in that interpretation. The officer's knee should've gone on the guy's shoulder, offset to one side or the other. It also creates a very comfortable and stable position to wait/react in while he's held down while minimizing risk of injury to either party.

Last edited by SleekOtter; 05/28/20 04:26 AM.
Re: Question For Police [Re: Snowpa] #6883853
05/28/20 05:15 AM
05/28/20 05:15 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by Snowpa
Originally Posted by Muskrat Love

Not a bad check that really wasnt bad

Doesn’t seem like that big a deal to get into a fight with the police over.

-Goofy-
Re: Question For Police [Re: SleekOtter] #6883889
05/28/20 07:02 AM
05/28/20 07:02 AM

J
J Staton OP
Unregistered
J Staton OP
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted by SleekOtter
For J Staton: People will often say stuff to delay going to jail or getting a chance to get away. Handcuffs are too tight, pregnant, suicidal, parents are on their deathbed, kids home alone, etc. Every claim warrants some type of deeper investigation because it's always better safe than sorry.

Speaking only for my state, the training is to stay away from striking, kneeling, restricting, etc. Anywhere that isn't a large muscle group unless deadly force us justified. Kneeling on his neck is incredibly poor training. I would assume he wasn't trained that way but he never got much continuing training on MARC which like a lot of things is a perishable skill.

It's also written in many state laws and included by some instructors that if somebody can speak or breathe it's not considered strangulation. A civil suit can play out differently in that interpretation. The officer's knee should've gone on the guy's shoulder, offset to one side or the other. It also creates a very comfortable and stable position to wait/react in while he's held down while minimizing risk of injury to either party.

Thank you SleekOtter. Just wondered if officer's become "deaf" to statements they hear often. Y'all got a tough job.

Re: Question For Police [Re: Boco] #6883913
05/28/20 07:43 AM
05/28/20 07:43 AM
sw minn.
Flipper Offline
trapper
Flipper  Offline
trapper

sw minn.
Originally Posted by Boco
Poor decisions result in people dying all the time.

For every action there is a reaction or consequence

Re: Question For Police [Re: SleekOtter] #6884164
05/28/20 02:17 PM
05/28/20 02:17 PM
MI
T
trappingmichigan Offline
trapper
trappingmichigan  Offline
trapper
T

MI
Originally Posted by SleekOtter

100 percent correct. Striking/squeezing/pressure on the neck is considered lethal force ever since I've been around. I'm not playing devil's advocate because I wasn't there, but a knee on the neck like that is a huge mistake. And if somebody says they cant breath, (believable or not) you better (and usually required) to call paramedics even if not requested by the suspect.

Re: Question For Police [Re: Huntall76] #6884398
05/28/20 08:45 PM
05/28/20 08:45 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
Did they ever say why he was being detained/arrested/murdered?

Fixed it for you, Huntall76.

w

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread