No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: Finster] #6886133
05/30/20 09:30 PM
05/30/20 09:30 PM
MI
C
Co�s Offline
trapper
Co�s  Offline
trapper
C

MI
Originally Posted by Finster
Originally Posted by Coös
Only been checked a couple times hunting and fishing, always pretty pleasant. Had a great uncle that fished out of our camp as a kid got busted all the time for having too many brook trout, couldn't adjust to modern day creek limits. Lost his license twice in his 70s. I loved fishing with him when I was a kid because he gave me his extra fish and I always came back to camp with a full limit. Last time he got nabbed he had taken to slipping overage fish down his hip boots. Wardens came driving around the corner as he was emptying out his boots on the tailgate.

So your Great Uncle was a poacher is what you're saying.

Of trout yes. Luckily I wasn't responsible for his actions. Seeing him lose his license was a eye opener and is part of the reason I'd never, ever break a fish and game law.

Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: lumberjack391] #6886139
05/30/20 09:35 PM
05/30/20 09:35 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
If it wasn't for poaching, there is a lot of people that would have had no meat in the not so distant past. In the depression people ate owls and possums even. Deer didnt have a chance in farm country. Whatever tactic that worked was used. Big seines in creeks, automobile headlights for deer at night. Dynamite in deep water holes in winter, and catching whole coveys of quail by hand in sub zero weather.

I suspect most of us come from a long line of past poachers.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: danny clifton] #6886145
05/30/20 09:42 PM
05/30/20 09:42 PM
MI
C
Co�s Offline
trapper
Co�s  Offline
trapper
C

MI
Originally Posted by danny clifton
If it wasn't for poaching, there is a lot of people that would have had no meat in the not so distant past. In the depression people ate owls and possums even. Deer didnt have a chance in farm country. Whatever tactic that worked was used. Big seines in creeks, automobile headlights for deer at night. Dynamite in deep water holes in winter, and catching whole coveys of quail by hand in sub zero weather.

Yup. My Grandma says one of their chores as kids was hiking down to the brook with her brother and catching a couple stringers full of brookies for the table when the meat ran low before hunting season and fall slaughtering. I think habits were formed that were hard to break. Not that it's remotely excusable.

Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: lumberjack391] #6886149
05/30/20 09:46 PM
05/30/20 09:46 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Online content
trapper
Wanna Be  Online Content
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Met some that were jam up people, and some that I wouldn’t pee on if they were on fire.
Had a local that was determined we were baiting ducks.
Day 1 (Friday) he checked us. License, shells, plugs, birds, etc...
Day 2 (Saturday) Checked all of the above then demanded that the pond was baited because of the corn husks in the pond. (Pond was next to a corn field and farmer had mowed it) What made it worse was we had just shot into a flock of geese and had one sail on us. After the dog retrieved the downed birds, we walked over the dam to see if we could find the goose. As I was topping the dam going over he came driving up and almost ran over my son and his friend who had gotten back into their layout blinds. He told my son I could run if I wanted to but he would catch me. Guess he got real embarrassed when I topped the dam coming back with a goose in hand. It was then he went off about the pond being baited.
Day 3 (Sunday) He showed up with 2 other GW and all put on waders after they got out of the truck. They told us to unload our guns and lay all our ducks/geese out in the open. (We were nowhere close to a limit) They then proceeded to wade out in the pond and start raking the bottom with long nets and one was pulling in my decoys one by one and smelling them. It was quite amusing as the other two wardens were explaining the grass they were taking up was seeding out and that’s what was drawing the ducks in. It got even better as the main GW (ours) got towards the channel he knew nothing about. My son leaned in and said you reckon we ought to say anything? I said, Nah, experience is one heck of a teacher. And about that time he floated his hat. Oh yeah, after day one I started videoing on day 2 and day 3. After they found nothing and checked everything all over again. They left.

Monday morning I called and found out who is Supervisor was and demanded a meeting with him and his boss. He couldn’t make it, but his boss met with me. I showed him the videos and even pointed out the other GW saying we had done nothing wrong and it was just grass the divers were feeding on.
Never saw that GW again that year.
And what’s makes it even funnier is this pond was off a major road and could be seen easily. In fact we watched him watch us every morning. Even had shots going off way before shooting time near us and you could hear in in the video with me videoing my sons phone to show the time and his just sitting on the highway.

In his defense, someone that knew we abided by the law, had called in anonymously and reported a baited pond, lol. His fixation with us left everyone else free to shoot away.

Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: Finster] #6886159
05/30/20 09:56 PM
05/30/20 09:56 PM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline OP
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline OP
trapper
L

PA
Originally Posted by Finster
Originally Posted by lumberjack391
I called in an accidental otter catch...…...I told them I didn't have a freezer so it rode around in my truck for almost a week until they followed up. We did the paperwork, and as he was leaving-he saw a pile of deer hides in front of my garage door (I use to buy deer hides and now Im the area dumping grounds for them now that they are almost worthless.). He gets in his truck and immediately gets back out and asks me if they are all legal. I laughed held my arms up in an "I don't know" gesture and said "I couldn't tell you". He turned around and left......Dude, I reported a violation, we did what we had to do, OK now. It left a thorn in my shirt, what did he want me to say other than what I told him?

When did this all happen? Trapping season has been over awhile now and deer hides at this point would be a puddle of goo.

December 2018.

Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: James] #6886162
05/30/20 10:03 PM
05/30/20 10:03 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by James
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Been hunting in the Black Hills for over 30 years never been stopped by a game warden local they all know me but the can see my license any day they need to.

Like they're really going to check a fellow LEO. lol

Jim

Black Hills wardens have no clue about that Jimmy boy was the point the local is obvious.

Last edited by Law Dog; 05/30/20 10:03 PM.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: lumberjack391] #6886169
05/30/20 10:06 PM
05/30/20 10:06 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
A guy i work with had the warden check his line 2x a week for about 3 weeks until he called in trapper harassment complaints to his supervisor. We haven't seen him since

Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: lumberjack391] #6886174
05/30/20 10:14 PM
05/30/20 10:14 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
A guy i work with had the warden check his line 2x a week for about 3 weeks until he called in trapper harassment complaints to his supervisor. We haven't seen him since

Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: Savell] #6886196
05/30/20 10:39 PM
05/30/20 10:39 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Savell
.... be grateful it was only one .... they run in breeding pairs here, almost like they mate for life

... ( sorry swampwolf) lol

Apology accepted.....lol

We run mosltly alone here in south Ga. Especially during this corony virus outbreak.

Although you may see two trucks show up....lol

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: danny clifton] #6886208
05/30/20 10:55 PM
05/30/20 10:55 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by danny clifton

I think you are correct Danny. Trappers and many GWs too.

I still run into people back home that cant believe i was hired as a GW...lol. Been 25 years and counting now.. to this day i havent seen anything that has surprised me or that i was unfamiliar with....its been a fun ride.

Btw...for those that get aggravated with GWs please dont burn down or loot your own neighborhoods or hunting areas....

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 05/30/20 10:57 PM.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: lumberjack391] #6886212
05/30/20 11:03 PM
05/30/20 11:03 PM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline OP
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline OP
trapper
L

PA
Im too lazy for looting or arson...….I always remember the Chinese proverb " when going after revenge, always dig two graves".....

Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: lumberjack391] #6886244
05/30/20 11:59 PM
05/30/20 11:59 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Online content
trapper
Wanna Be  Online Content
trapper
W

SW Georgia
We have one in SWGA that also runs a WMA, this guy is jam up. He puts in some serious hard work and is as fair as anyone I’ve ever met. I even called in and had to brag on him. His boss informed me he had already been put in for some award but he’d pass on my Kudos.
Started putting in for Youth Hunts down there when my son was real young and he shot his first Wood Duck there and since that first time, any hunt we were drawn for that GW has went out of his way to help. I even rode around with him on his golf cart passing out water and even donated shells to some kids that were running out on some of the dove hunts. His dove shoots were always a success. When you got 9 and 10 year olds limiting out on dove, then you have a heck of a field. This guy was the type you’d go out of your way to help.
Not sure where you are Swamp Wolf, but the GW that runs River Creek is who I’m referring to.

Last edited by Wanna Be; 05/31/20 12:00 AM.
Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: Wanna Be] #6886259
05/31/20 12:21 AM
05/31/20 12:21 AM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
We have one in SWGA that also runs a WMA, this guy is jam up. He puts in some serious hard work and is as fair as anyone I’ve ever met. I even called in and had to brag on him. His boss informed me he had already been put in for some award but he’d pass on my Kudos.
Started putting in for Youth Hunts down there when my son was real young and he shot his first Wood Duck there and since that first time, any hunt we were drawn for that GW has went out of his way to help. I even rode around with him on his golf cart passing out water and even donated shells to some kids that were running out on some of the dove hunts. His dove shoots were always a success. When you got 9 and 10 year olds limiting out on dove, then you have a heck of a field. This guy was the type you’d go out of your way to help.
Not sure where you are Swamp Wolf, but the GW that runs River Creek is who I’m referring to.

... I’d usually call this out as rabbit ranger asskissin lol..... but I sure hope it’s swampwolf.... seems like a good ol boy either way

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: Savell] #6886261
05/31/20 12:23 AM
05/31/20 12:23 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Online content
trapper
Wanna Be  Online Content
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Apparently you didn’t see my other post, lol!

Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: nvwrangler] #6886264
05/31/20 12:40 AM
05/31/20 12:40 AM
OR
C
Catcollector Offline
trapper
Catcollector  Offline
trapper
C

OR
Obviously the jig was up DUH they do have "special investigators" that kinda check in once in while... Not just the same 'good ol boys' course I spose it matters how far north or south and the degree of inbred the jurisdiction

Last edited by Catcollector; 05/31/20 01:07 AM.
Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: Boco] #6886267
05/31/20 01:00 AM
05/31/20 01:00 AM
OR
C
Catcollector Offline
trapper
Catcollector  Offline
trapper
C

OR
last thing I want in my hip boots a dozen puny slimy trout, what people will do?

Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: Wanna Be] #6886271
05/31/20 01:23 AM
05/31/20 01:23 AM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Apparently you didn’t see my other post, lol!

.....sorry, I tend to scroll on past the novels lol

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: Savell] #6886288
05/31/20 02:32 AM
05/31/20 02:32 AM
Sullivan, Ohio
R
RV6 Offline
trapper
RV6  Offline
trapper
R

Sullivan, Ohio
I was at a PA bear check station one time with a bunch of people around. I wanted some clarification on what seemed like a gray area in the regs. I asked a group of wardens standing together if it was legal to hunt coyotes on Sunday while bear season was on "Sunday break". They all looked at each other and one warden piped up and said, "Yes it's legal... but i don't think you should." That got quite a few odd looks from the crowd.

Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: lumberjack391] #6886314
05/31/20 06:52 AM
05/31/20 06:52 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
"Black Hills wardens have no clue about that Jimmy boy was the point the local is obvious."

Wow, you got me stumped there, Law Dog. What are you trying to say? The last part of that sentence loses me completely.

Responding to the first part of your statement, which I think I understand: Sure they might not know you by sight, but once they check you out, you telling me that don't take into account that you're a fellow LEO?

Are you saying LEOs don't give special consideration when they find out the person they cited or arrested is a brother LEO? I bet it happens plenty.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Snide remarks by game wardens [Re: lumberjack391] #6886340
05/31/20 07:19 AM
05/31/20 07:19 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Have met mostly good game wardens but there are a few bad eggs as well.

Nevada bound
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread