No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Trapline dog training #6889025
06/03/20 08:44 AM
06/03/20 08:44 AM
Ohio
B
BuckeyeYote Offline OP
trapper
BuckeyeYote  Offline OP
trapper
B

Ohio
Good Morning,

I’m getting my first trapline dog for this fall. It will be a female that will be six months old when trapping season opens. Any tips on training? Should I drag a coyote skin around the yard and let her trail it, use drag scents etc.? This female is coming from out west and is bred from working trapline/denning dogs.

Re: Trapline dog training [Re: BuckeyeYote] #6889160
06/03/20 11:33 AM
06/03/20 11:33 AM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
First of all congrats on getting a new pup! I wold suggest to start with the basics and drill, drill and drill some more. Once she understands the basics then you can start on other things, just don't overwhelm her. Expose her to everything but don't expect much from her right away since she is still young but over time she begin to understand what her job is. Introduce her to a trap will eventually she'll understand what it is and how to avoid it. Perhaps let her get caught in a smaller trap at first, eventually she will get caught in one for coyotes. Take her with on your line and let her meet a coyote or two and see how she reacts. Letting her play with a scrap of hide or playing tug-o-war with her can keep her attention, eventually you can expand on that. Introduce her to animals caught in a live trap can really help.
Some dogs catch on sooner than others but the key is to bond and spend as much time together as possible. Good luck

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Trapline dog training [Re: BuckeyeYote] #6889193
06/03/20 12:45 PM
06/03/20 12:45 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
Congrats on pup, yep a coyote pelt or 2 i think is very help ful. Or some old burlap with urine on it.
[Linked Image]
Here is remi in training

Let me sugar coat this
Re: Trapline dog training [Re: BuckeyeYote] #6889199
06/03/20 12:55 PM
06/03/20 12:55 PM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Got little rescue dog early last year...little tan feist came up out of Oklahoma and we adopted him. Skittish as heck, had a pretty tuff start to life was my understanding.
But, he's been awesome for our family and loves to trap with me. Goes a little nuts when you have coyote or coon catches but he has a real strong hunting instinct and gets pretty excited over catches. I just keep him on a short leash and close by. Pretty simple to tie him off to a nearby post or tree, or just stake him nearby so I can do remakes. He was a huge help finding coyote pee spots and droppings.

ERNIE THE WONDER DOG.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jabNE; 06/03/20 12:58 PM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Trapline dog training [Re: jabNE] #6889752
06/04/20 05:49 AM
06/04/20 05:49 AM
Ohio
B
BuckeyeYote Offline OP
trapper
BuckeyeYote  Offline OP
trapper
B

Ohio
Thanks for the comments so far!

Re: Trapline dog training [Re: BuckeyeYote] #6889788
06/04/20 07:22 AM
06/04/20 07:22 AM
SD
T
Turd Furgeson Offline
trapper
Turd Furgeson  Offline
trapper
T

SD
Trap some coons for it to tussle with this summer and get basic obedience commands down and he will be ready by fall.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread