ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
badger jobs giving me fits #6890891
06/05/20 10:36 AM
06/05/20 10:36 AM
Lemars, Iowa
N
NWTrapper85 Offline OP
trapper
NWTrapper85  Offline OP
trapper
N

Lemars, Iowa
I talked to another WCO on here just trying see any other suggestions. on my Third badger job now in last couple years this is second one within last 3 weeks though. First 2 got big zero mostly since I didn't have enough experience what to look for maybe. This newest one lady lives in country have little fish pond next to house "10 foot wide man made pond". regardless its a draw for wildlife. Lady has rock around pond had badger dig 2 good size holes going after ground squirrels next to pond of course its the end of the world now to her wants them traps. Shes on 3 acres of land just grass plus her house then behind starts corn fields, corn not even foot tall yet can see 2 bigger holes in corn field and then no less the 8 holes on here 2 acres just holes where dug up food maybe 3 feet deep or better each one. The last 2 jobs I positive set what I thought were the active "dens" and nothing else which in both cases were just holes it grabbed snack out of an never returned. Last night I positive set the bigger holes in corn fields hoping one in million chance he's there. Also set 2 baited cages near the 2 holes by "pond where recent holes were dug 2 days ago. What would you guys do next? she does have ground squirrel problem ultimate needs get rid of them I know.

Re: badger jobs giving me fits [Re: NWTrapper85] #6890926
06/05/20 11:22 AM
06/05/20 11:22 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Good luck....like skunks they are known wanderers. Educate her on that fact and charge as needed.

Re: badger jobs giving me fits [Re: NWTrapper85] #6890959
06/05/20 12:09 PM
06/05/20 12:09 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by NWTrapper85
I talked to another WCO on here just trying see any other suggestions. on my Third badger job now in last couple years this is second one within last 3 weeks though. First 2 got big zero mostly since I didn't have enough experience what to look for maybe. This newest one lady lives in country have little fish pond next to house "10 foot wide man made pond". regardless its a draw for wildlife. Lady has rock around pond had badger dig 2 good size holes going after ground squirrels next to pond of course its the end of the world now to her wants them traps. Shes on 3 acres of land just grass plus her house then behind starts corn fields, corn not even foot tall yet can see 2 bigger holes in corn field and then no less the 8 holes on here 2 acres just holes where dug up food maybe 3 feet deep or better each one. The last 2 jobs I positive set what I thought were the active "dens" and nothing else which in both cases were just holes it grabbed snack out of an never returned. Last night I positive set the bigger holes in corn fields hoping one in million chance he's there. Also set 2 baited cages near the 2 holes by "pond where recent holes were dug 2 days ago. What would you guys do next? she does have ground squirrel problem ultimate needs get rid of them I know.

With badgers, unless you have a negative field going through the trap You may not be able to catch the badger because he might not enter the trap.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lvq0aDTQz4c

https://phys.org/news/2016-02-magnetoreception-molecule-eyes-dogs-primates.html

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: badger jobs giving me fits [Re: NWTrapper85] #6891243
06/05/20 07:11 PM
06/05/20 07:11 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
I agree badgers are wonderers just like a coyote. I have watched them in a freshly cut hay fields and they hunt just like fox and coyotes working up and down the wind rows. I have also seen them traveling back deep in the woods. This time of the year I was able to catch a few on farmers fields while trapping gophers. They work gopher mounds pretty regular especially if they find one in a trap. They will return. Maybe try prebaiting some holes like a dirt hole and see if they work it.

Re: badger jobs giving me fits [Re: NWTrapper85] #6891551
06/05/20 11:25 PM
06/05/20 11:25 PM
Lemars, Iowa
N
NWTrapper85 Offline OP
trapper
NWTrapper85  Offline OP
trapper
N

Lemars, Iowa
I ended up putting 3 new cage traps tonight 2 with mock ground squrriel holes in dirt in them and actual dead ground squirrels poking up out of them. See what happens tonight. Got my advanced trap vs Comstock bobcat trap vs another gravity door trap by little wolf trapping supplies, also have single door 12x12x30 Comstock baited and last a Comstock beaver double door trap but only one door open standing on its side if that makes sense. Trying cages before I put trigger on footholds but will be next plan of action. The advanced trap and Comstock bobcat trap first time using both..and on same job should be interesting.

Re: badger jobs giving me fits [Re: NWTrapper85] #6891565
06/05/20 11:40 PM
06/05/20 11:40 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by NWTrapper85
I ended up putting 3 new cage traps tonight 2 with mock ground squrriel holes in dirt in them and actual dead ground squirrels poking up out of them. See what happens tonight. Got my advanced trap vs Comstock bobcat trap vs another gravity door trap by little wolf trapping supplies, also have single door 12x12x30 Comstock baited and last a Comstock beaver double door trap but only one door open standing on its side if that makes sense. Trying cages before I put trigger on footholds but will be next plan of action. The advanced trap and Comstock bobcat trap first time using both..and on same job should be interesting.

I would suggest you test the magnetic field of each trap. This will tell you if you using a trap that has a reduced field no matter who made the trap or what model it was. The trap you use needs to have a reduced field going through the trap to be most successful.

Re: badger jobs giving me fits [Re: NWTrapper85] #6891776
06/06/20 09:25 AM
06/06/20 09:25 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Questions posed about whether our cage traps measure up have been answered through practical in the field applications in real situations resulting in successful outcomes. So far our experience with badgers, via those using the Comstock cage traps, has been positive. We have received photos of badgers captured in the larger 12x18x39 beaver traps, the 12x12x36 traps and also badgers handled by the much smaller 9x11x36 traps, all in positive den sets. Looks like catching badges, who are a fearless large weasel, is no more difficult than catching woodchucks at den sites using baitless cage traps. Got a call just two days ago from a Colorado government trapper who was placing another order that mentioned he had just caught 2 badgers in the large beaver traps. As Roosevelt was quoted, "the only thing to fear (in this case about catching animals in cages) is fear itself." The results are self explanatory. Pictured are the smaller 12x12 and 9x11 traps.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: badger jobs giving me fits [Re: Jim Comstock] #6891855
06/06/20 11:18 AM
06/06/20 11:18 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Jim Comstock
Questions posed about whether our cage traps measure up have been answered through practical in the field applications in real situations resulting in successful outcomes. So far our experience with badgers, via those using the Comstock cage traps, has been positive. We have received photos of badgers captured in the larger 12x18x39 beaver traps, the 12x12x36 traps and also badgers handled by the much smaller 9x11x36 traps, all in positive den sets. Looks like catching badges, who are a fearless large weasel, is no more difficult than catching woodchucks at den sites using baitless cage traps. Got a call just two days ago from a Colorado government trapper who was placing another order that mentioned he had just caught 2 badgers in the large beaver traps. As Roosevelt was quoted, "the only thing to fear (in this case about catching animals in cages) is fear itself." The results are self explanatory. Pictured are the smaller 12x12 and 9x11 traps.

First of all I had no idea who NWtrapper85 was when he first posted.

Second: detecting the magnetic field of cage trap or any trap for that matter and then avoiding the set is a learned ability by the animal. Having a decreased magnetic field in the cage trap just increases the ability to catch.It’s always easier to catch the dumb ones. They just didn’t learn.

Third: far as I know no one has posted whether or not any of the swing bar cage trapsShow a positive intensity field going through the trap.
So I asked the question “has anyone measured the magnetic field of any of the swing bar traps.” Maybe the developer may answer that question.

Re: badger jobs giving me fits [Re: Kirk De] #6892544
06/06/20 11:26 PM
06/06/20 11:26 PM
Eastern Iowa
Joe Taylor Offline
trapper
Joe Taylor  Offline
trapper

Eastern Iowa
Originally Posted by Kirk De
Second: detecting the magnetic field of cage trap or any trap for that matter and then avoiding the set is a learned ability by the animal. Having a decreased magnetic field in the cage trap just increases the ability to catch.It’s always easier to catch the dumb ones. They just didn’t learn.

Kirk, I don’t see anything in the phys.org article that would justify the conclusion that a cryptochrome-positive animal is more likely to avoid a metal trap, either directly or inferred. Can you point me to empirical and/or anecdotal evidence to support this connection? I see the value in cleaning my traps between uses, but had never thought to degauss them. Cheers.

Joe Taylor
Paw Control Wildlife Solutions | pawcontrol.com
Re: badger jobs giving me fits [Re: Joe Taylor] #6892678
06/07/20 07:50 AM
06/07/20 07:50 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Joe Taylor
Originally Posted by Kirk De

Kirk, I don’t see anything in the phys.org article that would justify the conclusion that a cryptochrome-positive animal is more likely to avoid a metal trap, either directly or inferred. Can you point me to empirical and/or anecdotal evidence to support this connection? I see the value in cleaning my traps between uses, but had never thought to degauss them. Cheers.

It was discussed for quite some time on this thread that I’m posting. The only better way that I know is to read the book about it but if you read the threads in the posted address you should understand.
https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthr...gnetic-field-of-coyote-traps#Post6831798
Don’t concentrate on magnets or magnetism concentrate on the intensity of the field or the projected field of the trap for the device in terms of positive and negative ions.
It is a discovery I made and wrote about.

Re: badger jobs giving me fits [Re: NWTrapper85] #6894863
06/09/20 03:25 PM
06/09/20 03:25 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
i think this goes along with wearing a tin foal hat,
wire redirects EMF, concrete also. That is why we have cell phone problems inside certain areas.

A trap with a pan could pick up and redirect the current like a signal booster. wire spead out in a measured fashion also will redirect and detect incoming/outgoing frequencies, similar to a by.pole antenna commonly used by ham operators.

frequency would very in each location that a trap was set , so my guess without extencive engineering and testing a designed trap is out of the question. Deflective property of material used for construction would be your best bet is this is a concern.

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: badger jobs giving me fits [Re: Vinke] #6894933
06/09/20 05:01 PM
06/09/20 05:01 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Vinke
i think this goes along with wearing a tin foal hat,
wire redirects EMF, concrete also. That is why we have cell phone problems inside certain areas.

A trap with a pan could pick up and redirect the current like a signal booster. wire spead out in a measured fashion also will redirect and detect incoming/outgoing frequencies, similar to a by.pole antenna commonly used by ham operators.

frequency would very in each location that a trap was set , so my guess without extencive engineering and testing a designed trap is out of the question. Deflective property of material used for construction would be your best bet is this is a concern.

I think you’re making it sound more complex than what it is. I have found, after testing a trap with the Tesla Magnetometer , You will always get a negative response with a positive increase in intensity of the field and a positive response with a decrease in intensity of the magnetic field. It always seems to follow that line always. No matter what devices used.How you place a trap or device, what you do to hide the field, is determined by the field intensity radiating off of the trap or device. It works every time.

Re: badger jobs giving me fits [Re: NWTrapper85] #6895059
06/09/20 07:33 PM
06/09/20 07:33 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
I don't know 'bout you guys, but I set a trap and catch me a critter. Just got a whole bunch of chucks in the last few days. Had a neat conversation with
a guy trapping beaver using the swim through beaver trap. Most would be thrilled to catch an otter, but it was a closed area. Kinda funny, besides catching the beaver he said he couldn't keep the darn otter of the trap. Had to release 5.

Re: badger jobs giving me fits [Re: Jim Comstock] #6895134
06/09/20 08:33 PM
06/09/20 08:33 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Jim Comstock
I don't know 'bout you guys, but I set a trap and catch me a critter. Just got a whole bunch of chucks in the last few days. Had a neat conversation with
a guy trapping beaver using the swim through beaver trap. Most would be thrilled to catch an otter, but it was a closed area. Kinda funny, besides catching the beaver he said he couldn't keep the darn otter of the trap. Had to release 5.

Do you honestly believe that what I have written and published has no merit.That magnetic field intensity variance is just a bunch of smoke and mirrors. Would you stake your reputation that I am wrong.
If I am correct in my findings it would hurt trapping industry not to know the difference.I would stake my reputation on it.I have.

Re: badger jobs giving me fits [Re: NWTrapper85] #6895447
06/10/20 06:23 AM
06/10/20 06:23 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Has there been responses to the sets made. Do you think the weather has been an effect.

Re: badger jobs giving me fits [Re: NWTrapper85] #6895649
06/10/20 10:41 AM
06/10/20 10:41 AM
Lemars, Iowa
N
NWTrapper85 Offline OP
trapper
NWTrapper85  Offline OP
trapper
N

Lemars, Iowa
No activity yet last night had some rain but been close to 100 last 3 days before that and super windy. I've got the cages out still of course and 10 foothold sets out

Re: badger jobs giving me fits [Re: NWTrapper85] #6900916
06/16/20 08:48 AM
06/16/20 08:48 AM
Lemars, Iowa
N
NWTrapper85 Offline OP
trapper
NWTrapper85  Offline OP
trapper
N

Lemars, Iowa
Well little activity so far. Been on job over 10 days. Lady says say badger out at 2pm down by neighbors mailbox last Thursday. I"ve got mostly just footholds out now 12 sets on her 3 acres and at that just the top 100 yard above her house at that. Most of her land is rolling pasture grass 2 feet told or so then she has manicured mowed grass around her house and the small 10x10 watering hole. Still have the advanced trap and 1 Comstock bobcat trap still set up. I took one double door comstocks I had over holes down from one of the holes determined were just hunting holes after she saw it out and about and not active dens. Plenty of acres of corn and pasture around problem its not tied down to go to just her property. I'll give it a few more days. Been in upper 90s almost everyday, not even a coon or anything caught in the footholds. Should I maybe set some footholds in the mowed grass too? she has no cats/dogs or little kids just older lady by herself but on occasion has grandkids over but I could mark area with flag etc.

Last edited by NWTrapper85; 06/16/20 08:55 AM.
Re: badger jobs giving me fits [Re: NWTrapper85] #7405529
11/15/21 09:28 AM
11/15/21 09:28 AM
Lemars, Iowa
N
NWTrapper85 Offline OP
trapper
NWTrapper85  Offline OP
trapper
N

Lemars, Iowa
Well and update to this long overdue. Long story short the ladies neighbor shot 2 badgers couple days before I started job. Makes it hard to catch a ghost LOL Anyways I started a different badger job last week going 10x better caught 3 badgers in last 5 days its a great feeling. Caught all in footholds, out in country I do have a few bobcat size cages out for heck of it and 2 holes postive sets for badgers with comstocks but was not optimistic about producing. I can take the gloves off and set footholds so figure why not. 2nd and 3rd badger caught in same trap 3 days apart. Land is 400 acres lots of gopher holes so of course bringing predators in. Felt pretty good when things work out on some jobs. My 2 badger jobs before this way smaller area to try trap on one was only 1/3 of an acre.

Re: badger jobs giving me fits [Re: NWTrapper85] #7405558
11/15/21 10:02 AM
11/15/21 10:02 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Good job! They can frustrate a trapper BIG TIME!

Re: badger jobs giving me fits [Re: NWTrapper85] #7405595
11/15/21 10:28 AM
11/15/21 10:28 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
I do know the 12x18x39 beaver trap, 12x12x36 and even the 9x11x36 double door wire triggered raccoon cages have all worked in the past to take badgers in fields and going under homes. We sent a 12x12x36 to a woman in Wyoming who had a badger digging craters in her pasture. It took her a few times to find the right hole that he was in, but she got him. She just set the trap at the den like you would for a woodchuck. I suggested that she use a tarp for a nose cone. Once the positive set was made at the hole he was in she nabbed him coming out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread