No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: Wolfdog91] #6896044
06/10/20 07:19 PM
06/10/20 07:19 PM
PA
C
cablejohn Offline
trapper
cablejohn  Offline
trapper
C

PA
Believe me Wolfie,. Your work ethic will be recognized. When I find a young guy willing to work ,the training and raises are right behind.

Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: J.Morse] #6896047
06/10/20 07:23 PM
06/10/20 07:23 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by J.Morse
Hang in there Wolfie. As stated above, hard workers are hard to do find........sooner or later your work ethic will draw the attention of somebody that gives a crap. As for working lousy jobs.......been there. When you move on you appreciate the decent jobs even more! Young fellas like you will find your own nitch and shine. Most end up self employed. Bums like you describe won't ever be able to do that....too self absorbed and not "self-starter" enough to get outa bed EVERY day....even when you don't feel like it.

Thanks and honestly it's already started lol. Been here less than three weeks and I have three different depeaments asking if I want to move lol.

Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6896055
06/10/20 07:31 PM
06/10/20 07:31 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Welcome to the nightmare.

this is where Millennial get a bad wrap or Z or whatever the heck generation they are on.

those HARD BUTT jobs are what make you a better worker , and appreciate how much easier talking to a customer is than those hard jobs.

work ethic is bad all over and apparently not easily taught. my son gripes about splitting wood or mowing the lawn , I pay little for hard work I am cheap and he really hates it when i go out and show him the old man can do it faster I also have a habit of making a job worth a $ amount and not an hourly amount.

he is 16 and I think he can better appreciate not working for me , he has been washing dishes at a supper club in town here for about 10 months now , they are teaching him to cook now , he shows up when he is scheduled and stays till they tell him to go and works steady the whole time.

my first few jobs amounted to raking gravel the snow plow pushed into the yard back to the drive way , I hated gravel , then I dug a bunch of trenches once you have gravel raking and trench digging down you start to realize I need to add skills so I can work more with my head and less with my back . if every one started digging ditches they could really appreciate a lot of other much easier jobs but still know how to work hard when needed.

Exactly ! My fist real job was working under my uncle on his crew building houses in the summer Monday though Friday 4a.m to 6pm many days sweating ,and getting cussed out buy older guys for $200 a week if I was lucky. Now I'm I. The a.c. getting 12.36 and hour don't have to get to work till 4p.m and I get two days a week off CAKE !

Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: Wolfdog91] #6896065
06/10/20 07:40 PM
06/10/20 07:40 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
It's hard to be a role model, but it, definitely, pays off when you are ready to retire. Keep up the good work young man!

"The voice of reason!"
Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: Wolfdog91] #6896085
06/10/20 07:57 PM
06/10/20 07:57 PM
South Carolina
T
Tom cat Offline
trapper
Tom cat  Offline
trapper
T

South Carolina
Hey wolf, I worked with my uncle framing houses too.... that's rough, and I've been a lineman at the same place for almost 15 years... nov.16th, but I've seen more punks than I can count loose their job over a cell phone. And I survived the crash in 2008 with the same company. I seen um come and go. If you give them enough rope, they'll hang their onselves, or the boss will do it for them. I'm 38 and I'll be honest, most guys my age or younger ain't worth a penny. I thank the lord everyday that my ole man put boot to butt when it counted.

Sugarcreektrapping@gmail.com
Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: Wolfdog91] #6896095
06/10/20 08:12 PM
06/10/20 08:12 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Yup....do your job...don’t get into any bad mouthing anyone.....cus you don’t know ,who is who,and who knows who. Your Boss should be Able to see ...who are the workers and who’s not. ....it may take time. But if you start complaining...that won’t get yah far. You will be noticed for your dedication to your job.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: Wolfdog91] #6896134
06/10/20 08:59 PM
06/10/20 08:59 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
So I'm realising I just plain can't work with people my age half the time. Recently got a part time at one of the bigger hardware store chains right. Actually really like it unloading trucks and helping customers when I can. I'm in the A.C I'm getting a lil work out the pay is pretty good but guys when I say some of the folks I gotta work with my age ain't worth a friggen hay penny. Now for the last two weeks my crew has consisted of me a older guy for the fork lift and one of the guys I was in the guard with. We can off load a 1300 piece truck by about 8:45 and we don't mind having to stay over to finish the job. More hours in our minds is just more money if the ma agers dont have a problem with it.Well higher up decided to throw two more guys with us to help speed up the process. Basically they would move three or four boxes and get on their phones, three or four boxes and on their phones. One basically refused to lift anything more than 5lbs ,not because he couldn't just because he "ain't gonna". The other is either walking away evey 20min or trying to shoot game with every decent piece if tail in the joint. Got too the point two of the managers came back there with us and started loading boxes because those two where slowing us down so much. Me and the other guys basically gave up on one because he had such a attitude on him we decided to just not say more than we need to him , like i I was holding three boxes and asked him to slide two boxes over on the pallet to make a better fit ,he shrugs and says " Well why don't you do it if you don't like it " and walked off , and the other was just beyond lazy. "Man this job suck! " "man what you mean we gotta be here till 9pm" so on and so on. Had one of em in the break room crying saying how hot the trailer is ( its like 85 tops ) How had me and the other guys make him work how mean we are how he'll throw hands if we tell Jim what to do again or cuss us out like he did at McDonalds ( don't think he noticed I was in there ),like all we do is tell em to get off his phone or move. I mean. Don't cuss at him or anything. Out got hit by the forklift because he was string at his phone
Heck he hit his finger last night and walked out on us. Meanwhile about four days ago my buddy got a nail in his foot pulled it out patched it up told the manager and went back to work .

Then I watch these folks run from customers. Like that say I'm crazy because I'll stop and try to help. Alot of it is simple stuff like some soccer mom will stop you pull out a light bulb and ask you to help her find one or the same with a nut or bolt. Some times it's aggravating but 9/10 it's simple stuff. But with most the workers my age they will either try to run off ( and you see them layed up in shaming in a hidy hole a few minutes later ) or just say " i dunno ". And God forbid one of the managers Asks for some help after hours all the older guys are all for it . " heck yeah let get me another hour or two in lookin at getting some new tire for the truck " they say people my age ,part timers too who may have 5-6hours in that day " bruh what you mean ! Ain't staying here another minute" then the next day I'm hearing them complain about needing more money so they can buy a new phone or somthing.

I don't know ma ye im just a hard butt from all the crappier jobs ive done or guess I can't stand a on existent work ethic. Either way cant seem to work with most folks my age half decently

You will find in life that this is common. You have some that work their butts off and you have slugs that only want a paycheck and could care less about their work ethic. It's nothing new. I have seen it my entire life and still see it today. If anything it's gotten worse. Most that I have worked with under 35yo are not worth a crap and the numbers don't get a lot better over 35. When I find a person that is good, I make sure I get them on every job possible. Luckily, I am in the position to be able to do that most of the time. I'm a senior in my field and I submit reports on how people do. They get the report they deserve. Either way, they earn it. The dullards and the lazy people don't last long and usually they don't return. I'm fair about it. I won't ask anyone to do anything I wouldn't or haven't done and more often than not, I'm right beside them.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: Wolfdog91] #6896140
06/10/20 09:05 PM
06/10/20 09:05 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
A guy like you will make it fine in this world, Wolfie.

Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: Nessmuck] #6896150
06/10/20 09:16 PM
06/10/20 09:16 PM
Michigan
M
Michigander Offline
trapper
Michigander  Offline
trapper
M

Michigan
Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Yup....do your job...don’t get into any bad mouthing anyone.....cus you don’t know ,who is who,and who knows who. Your Boss should be Able to see ...who are the workers and who’s not. ....it may take time. But if you start complaining...that won’t get yah far. You will be noticed for your dedication to your job.

x2

Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: Michigander] #6896159
06/10/20 09:23 PM
06/10/20 09:23 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by Michigander
Originally Posted by Nessmuck

x2

Solid advice.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: Wolfdog91] #6896194
06/10/20 10:22 PM
06/10/20 10:22 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Welcome to Lowe's wolfdog, and don't forget, "Have a Lowe's safe day".... LOL

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6896200
06/10/20 10:30 PM
06/10/20 10:30 PM
South Central Wisconsin
N
Nelly Offline
trapper
Nelly  Offline
trapper
N

South Central Wisconsin
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
yes a turn in a hay mow will make you appreciate most other jobs , especially when your eyes are watering , your nose is just running snot constantly it is 120 under the roof.

It's all big bales now round or square and a man can't lift them.
Not like it was in Green county 35 years ago.
My eyes watered worse cleaning the calf pens. Ammonia don't ya know.

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good. O Lord please don't let me be misunderstood.
Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: Wolfdog91] #6896284
06/11/20 12:06 AM
06/11/20 12:06 AM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
I've got the same problem.

They are always griping about some heart attack, or back problem. I say let them work until we see some actual stroke symptoms. Heck, sometimes I think they aren't even reporting their income to Social Security.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: Wolfdog91] #6896324
06/11/20 02:37 AM
06/11/20 02:37 AM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
Like Finster said, laziness is not new, but its certainly become more common. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the vast majority of these kids simply don't know any better. This generation has grown up in a world completely centered around their comfort and preference. Most kids today are never forced to do anything they don't feel like doing, or even incentivized to. The concept of earning is lost on them because they've been given everything. The concept of sacrificing comfort and preference to help others, earn a better life and a sense of pride, is completely foreign to them because their world has always revolved around their immediate mood or feelings. The problem is that parents are raising their kids to be good kids instead of good adults, and as a result they turn into overgrown kids and never learn how to be adults.

In my opinion, they simply need to be taught. I know not everyone is good at that, or even knows how. And for many people the frustration is too much to handle. But these kids desperately need to be taught work ethic by anyone willing to teach them, and I'm grateful that the Lord has given me the opportunity and ability to teach some of them. As a crew lead, supervisor and business owner over the last couple decades, I've learned a few things about training up greenhorns that I'll share here.

For one, it doesn't work to be non-confrontational. You have to be direct. Oftentimes we just work around the lazy guy, maybe drop a couple hints, and hope that they'll catch on or someone else will talk to them. It doesn't work. These kids are dense. If someone doesn't tell them in plain English that it's not OK to be on your phone during work, they'll never get it. And that someone doesn't have to be the manager, it just has to be someone that cares enough. And that's the second important part. Most of them have been yelled at before, and they're used to tuning it out. The fruitful balance is in communicating that you care about them, and that's why you want their behavior to change. (I know, it's hard to fake sometimes, especially with entitled snowflakes. But the result is worth it.)

This is what I call "the talk." For me it goes something like this:

"Dude, I'm glad you're working here, you're a good guy, but we need to talk about work. I want to see you succeed. I don't want to see you be in your 30s and 40s and still be living in your mom's house trying to make ends meet. $10/hr might be decent money now, at your age, but it's not great when you're 35 and doing the same job. There are a lot of good jobs out there, and you can make really good money and live comfortably and be a blessing to your family. But good jobs don't just happen, they go to the people who earn them. And I'm going to tell you the secret to getting good jobs: do good at crappy jobs. If you want a good job, you have to show that you're a good worker even in a crappy job. And here's what that looks like:

1) You show up on time or early and leave on time or late, every single day. Not most of the time. All the time. It's not just about time, it's about showing that you're reliable and a man of your word. If you accept a 9-5 shift, then you show you're a man of your word by being there for every minute of that shift, and then some.

2) Be a maximalist, not a minimalist. If you want a better job than you've got now, then prove you can do more than you're required to now. Be the guy that goes the extra mile, volunteers, stays late and helps out whether or not you're getting paid for it. Don't just work for the paycheck, work for the career.

3) Understand that if you're on the clock getting paid for your time, then you owe that time to the company. You're not getting paid to be on your phone, stand around or hang out. If you put 8 hours on your time sheet, then I expect you to have physically worked 480 minutes. That's just being an honest person, a man of integrity. If we get caught up and have some down time on the clock, then so be it, but it's a gift, not a right. If you can't last 10 minutes without looking at something on your phone, then it's time to grow up. The rest of us only check our phones on breaks. It's not because we have less to look at; it's because our work and our integrity is a higher priority. I'm not going to take your phone away because you're not a child, but I'm going to expect you to keep it put away because you're an adult.

4) Don't just try to please the boss. Work in a way that impresses everyone around you. Customers, coworkers, vendors, everyone. Most of the "promotions" in my career haven't come from my manager, but from other contacts I made along the way. Impress with your work, not your words. Some people are impressed by personality and talk, but the important people are impressed with character and work ethic.
Work for your future bud, not just for your boss or your check. If you don't start now the future will come and you'll wish you had."

That's a starting point. It takes a lot to teach work ethic to an adult who's never learned it. But it can be done.
Anyway, I'm proud to say I've had the privilege of mentoring a lot of snot-nosed kids over the years, and the majority of them turned into great hands and are currently working well-paying careers in the construction trades.

By the way, I'm only 32 and the only thing that made me different than others my age is the mentors I had as a youngster, teaching me work ethic.

Sorry for the long post. I'm going to work another 12 hr day tomorrow, like I've been doing for the last 2 months. Have a good night gentlemen.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: Wolfdog91] #6896340
06/11/20 06:20 AM
06/11/20 06:20 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
All these folks on the phone need a job picking truck crops. One hand picking and one swatting flies will train them real quick to leave the phone in the truck. lol

-Goofy-
Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: Wolfdog91] #6896349
06/11/20 06:45 AM
06/11/20 06:45 AM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
Wolfie, you got a good head and work ethic just keep doing and you will be rewarded. Don't let the slackers drag you down. I can't get anyone to work with me because first order of business is cell phone stay in the truck!

Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: Wolfdog91] #6896353
06/11/20 06:52 AM
06/11/20 06:52 AM
Wisconsin
G
Green Bay Offline
trapper
Green Bay  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
I see this all of the time too. I work with teenagers and if you can find three or four hard workers out of a hundred you are doing good.

Author of The Lure Hunter: A Guide to Finding Fishing Lures
Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: Wolfdog91] #6896432
06/11/20 08:36 AM
06/11/20 08:36 AM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Wolfi - you and I would work well together. I've worked farm jobs all my life and working construction showed me how lazy people are. I had bosses that would call me every name in the book because because I had started working 2 minutes before the clock said to. It's a crap shoot these days working with others. You never know if the guy next to you has ''issues'' with work.I put an add for help on Craigslist 7 weeks ago. Not one answer till three weeks ago and that person only wanted part time ''easy' stuff. just had two guys answer the add Friday and hired then both Monday. The had a pulse, legs, arms, and could speak. One can even numbers on a tape measure. The other one says he's a bust a** work horse and gave his two week notice at his other job. That work horse art remains to be seen.... What a mess.

Just passin through
Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: Larry Baer] #6896441
06/11/20 08:47 AM
06/11/20 08:47 AM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
I've had guys take an early lunch at 11 and never return! I quit being a baby sitter and I work alone.

Re: Can't work with folks my age [Re: Wolfdog91] #6896442
06/11/20 08:48 AM
06/11/20 08:48 AM
Va
B
bandy Offline
trapper
bandy  Offline
trapper
B

Va
I have always been lucky to have the pleasure of working with the older generation i can tell by all your post you are like alot of guy on here a rare breed .

No matter where you go there you are.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread