No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Share some dumb work mistakes you've made [Re: Ouananiche] #6897382
06/12/20 07:20 AM
06/12/20 07:20 AM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
I was the maintenance supervisor at work and also had a grounds crew. Two guys on the grounds crew had been messing around with this mower deck all morning and I was frustrated watching them not make much progress. So...I walked out onto the shop floor and said "Let me show you how to do this". Never say that.

I got a piece of pipe and slipped it over the end of a big coil spring that held the weight of the mower. With a big, hard push, I pushed that pipe up over my head to put tension on the spring. The mower had a metal canopy and I hooked the end of the pipe behind that canopy to hold the pipe. I bent over and the pipe broke free. It hit me in the head. I went down. I don't know if I lost consciousness - if I did it was brief. I staggered to my feet with blood pouring down my face and soaking my shirt.

My work truck was parked in the shop a few feet away. I always had a pile of parts and tools on my passenger seat. One of the guys in the shop opened the passenger door, my stuff was thrown on the shop floor in a pile and the guys put me in the truck.

On the drive to the hospital I felt the wound on my head and it was deep - at least it felt deep. I told the driver I think I have a hole in my skull. He started passing cars as fast as my truck would go.

Turned out I had just compressed the fat layer between the skull and skin and that was the divot I felt. The skin was damaged too badly from the impact for the doctor to be able to put any stitches in. They shaved a section of my scalp, took x-rays, and bandaged me up.

When I got back to the shop, that piece of pipe had been wrapped in foam pipe insulation and was sitting in my office and there was a hard hat sitting in my truck's seat waiting for me.

-Ryan
Re: Share some dumb work mistakes you've made [Re: Ouananiche] #6897447
06/12/20 08:49 AM
06/12/20 08:49 AM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois

Too many of them and I’ll leave it at that.
[/quote]

Oh Festus , Oh Festus don't take no purty woman's word
Don't let her make no city fool out of you
Squeeze em and tease em and build yer self a herd
Then you can cull one out if you want to

Just passin through
Re: Share some dumb work mistakes you've made [Re: Ouananiche] #6897465
06/12/20 09:15 AM
06/12/20 09:15 AM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline
trapper
elkaholic  Offline
trapper
E

PA
We used to have Hyster races on night shift. One time we my supervisor and I were doing our laps. We came down to the last lap and we were neck and neck...... Well as they say rubbin' is racin' and I started rubbing against him trying to push him off the course. Well I hit him just right in the back quarter and his rear-end kinda went squirrelly and he over corrected and ended up driving the fork through a support beam. He stopped dead. I raised my hands in victory and proceeded to slam into the steps leading up to the break room.

We both got a serious butt chewing and a week off work without pay. It took them 2 days to get the steps fixed and about a week to get the beam replaced. When he retired a couple years later they gave him a piece of beam with a cut off fork through it as a gift. The plant manager had a pretty good sense of humor and had them cut it up to give to him. It sits on his mantle.

Millions of trees die every year to print environmentalist publications
Re: Share some dumb work mistakes you've made [Re: Ouananiche] #6897494
06/12/20 10:03 AM
06/12/20 10:03 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Backing the long fire truck into the station at a station hadn't worked at for few years. Was there taking a shift of OT.. Had drove that truck many times as it was my rig when new, to department.. Then they stole it moved it to that station because was better than one they had....So anyway was messing line up backing into a bay that hadn't back into for some time. But was also messing up again for like third time during same shift.. Just couldn't get my ground marks right for some reason.. So got lined up goofy coming in officer gets excited after my messing up earlier yells stop??? So I do.. he say you to close on this side....I'm thinking get your head out of my mirror maybe I'd seen that.. Looking in my mirror I'm close to the wall but got plenty day light. So I throw thing back in drive and pull forward take another whack at it..
Doppie me turns the wheel as pull forward and swings that to close hind end of the rig over.. Pull the flag stone facing right off the front of the building. That door been hit may times by lots of guys. I got to be the first to pull the stone off the wall..Makes a pretty loud sound shattering on concrete drive.
This was all right after I came back to work from cancer surgery...
So now I'm on the carpet in chiefs office.. He says to me you had lot trouble driving today?? Me! Well maybe backing in?? Are your eyes ok form the cancer stuff? did you maybe come back to work to soon??? I told em well I may have come back to work to soon.. But my eye's were fine the doc had cut up my asre not my eye's..I thought that was funny...
So I got to be first guy written up 3 times in one shift and while on OT no less...It really is funny how it all happened..Was a long 24 hours..
Had the chief put note in my file before I left that day, not to call me ever again for OT. Never worked any OT again rest of the year a half I worked before cancer took me out again.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Share some dumb work mistakes you've made [Re: Ouananiche] #6897506
06/12/20 10:23 AM
06/12/20 10:23 AM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Was a telephone repairman and ran up a pole like a spider monkey in an alley behind some houses and when I put one foot down and hooked my left arm on the pole to put my climbing belt around the pole I heard a crack. You know the sound right before you yell. Timber! Well, the pole fell back and then the cable that was deadended on it got tight and stopped it falling and made it swing in a half circle before falling over and ripping drops out of 2 houses on it's way down. I went flying off and landed on a garage roof that gave a lot when I landed on it. All my tools fell out of my tool pouch and rolled off the roof. A guy was mowing and came running over and asked if I was ok and I was in shock for a minute and didn't know what to say. It was a tall garage and he had to get a ladder for me to get down. I was lucky for sure.

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: Share some dumb work mistakes you've made [Re: Ouananiche] #6897508
06/12/20 10:27 AM
06/12/20 10:27 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Dated women.

Although, there was 1 woman I dated years ago that I remain friends with. That was 15+ years ago

Re: Share some dumb work mistakes you've made [Re: Ouananiche] #6897523
06/12/20 10:49 AM
06/12/20 10:49 AM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
Forty years ago...I was a motorman pulling a trip of 25 loaded cars out of a mine. I was on the steepest final grade and could see daylight outside. My usual locomotive was in the shop, and I was using an ancient 18 ton model, no air or dynamic brakes like my normal motor. My tail motorman radioed me that he jumped track back at the loading section, and wasn’t behind me. Instead of keep going, I let off on the controller. I knew I had just made a BIG mistake. Within seconds, the car couplers were slapping backwards and I was getting pulled down the hill....fast. Without dynamic braking, there was no chance of stopping the trip. I opened my track sanders, wound the brake wheel tight, and bailed off.

I got to my feet, and starting walking down the track, expecting the worse. To my amazement, I found my motor and trip a half mile away, at the bottom of the hill, all still on track. My buddy then showed up with his tail motor.....his response...” you didn’t have to come back to help me, I could get back on track myself”. I never told him that I didn’t come back to help him.

Re: Share some dumb work mistakes you've made [Re: Ouananiche] #6897531
06/12/20 10:58 AM
06/12/20 10:58 AM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
Shelling corn a few years ago, we was losing kernels out the weep holes in the corn head. Me and my buddy got under there with duct tape and each had a few holes to tape. I got mine done and jumped in the combine, put the head down....and thank the good lord the safety latch was on cause he was still under there. I got out gave him a hug and apologized profusely, smoked a cigarette and took a reality check and a long break.

Last edited by tomahawker; 06/12/20 10:59 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread