No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Has anybody thought about... #6900767
06/16/20 12:37 AM
06/16/20 12:37 AM
Ohio
G
Gone Trappin. Offline OP
trapper
Gone Trappin.  Offline OP
trapper
G

Ohio
Has anybody thought about somehow keeping/preserving your furs till the prices go back up if they do

Re: Has anybody thought about... [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6900879
06/16/20 08:07 AM
06/16/20 08:07 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Sure. It's done all the time.

I didn't have an easy way to sell my raccoon pelts last winter so I popped them in the freezer, waiting for a more convenient opportunity to sell and hopefully a better price.

Keeping the bugs out of the skin seems to be the most important part.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Has anybody thought about... [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6900884
06/16/20 08:16 AM
06/16/20 08:16 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
yep, that's why many of us own multiple freezers.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Has anybody thought about... [Re: traprjohn] #6900939
06/16/20 09:14 AM
06/16/20 09:14 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by traprjohn
yep, that's why many of us own multiple freezers.

grin

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Has anybody thought about... [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6900968
06/16/20 09:54 AM
06/16/20 09:54 AM
NY
V
VH60 Offline
trapper
VH60  Offline
trapper
V

NY
I think freezing would be the best option but a couple of years ago I decided to have some fur tanned by Great Northern and didn't have the freezer space to hold it . I was able to keep about 60 rats , 7 mink , 6 fox , 3 or 4 coon , 6 beaver and 1 fisher for a year + hung up in an unheated garage with no bug damage whatsoever by spraying the hides with a Permethrin spray . All the hides were properly fleshed and dried and when the warmer weather came I sprayed them , let them dry and hung them up . I worried about the hides becoming stale , grease burned or being affected by the spray etc but they came out excellent (the beaver and mink were finished by Tubari as GNF went out of business) . I also did an experiment where I left several rat hides (fleshed and dried) hanging in the garage . Come late May or so a couple of the hides were being chewed on by bugs . I sprayed the hides with Permethrin . The bug damage stopped completely . I have also visited tanneries and can say your boxes of hides are being stored until processing in less than ideal conditions . I spray the inside of my shipping boxes with Permethrin and let it dry , then pack my furs for shipping . The furs are given an additional spraying , allowed to dry completely and packed . I don't know if long term storage of furs this was would cause problems with tanning but I can say it will eliminate bug damage .

Re: Has anybody thought about... [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6900975
06/16/20 10:05 AM
06/16/20 10:05 AM
Iowa
C
coydog2 Offline
trapper
coydog2  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
I know the furs that is kept at auction for a number of years will be under stale goods so it will be lower grade then fresh goods. I seen some furs that was held and for how they where. Yes the bugs was kept out of them. But the buyers was not going to pay top price for stale goods Just to give the heads up on it.

Life member of DAV,NTA,NRA,ITA.Also member of FTA,CBA
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread