No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Jersey gun law experts question #6902672
06/18/20 12:13 AM
06/18/20 12:13 AM
Indiana
H
Huntall76 Offline OP
trapper
Huntall76  Offline OP
trapper
H

Indiana
Just looking for some insight, and yes I will follow up to find out what is fact.

My wife's company has a yearly meeting in Atlantic city , provided it doesn't get canceled do to covid 19.

My question is (I live in Indiana) can I bring into the state a s&w .380 bodyguard (6 round clip) unloaded in case, ammo in locked case and separate, take gun into my hotel room where it will stay until I leave and then leave in the same manner, is that legal?

I do have a cc permit in Indiana but I know New Jersey doesn't honor it, thanks

Re: New Jersey gun law experts question [Re: Huntall76] #6902677
06/18/20 12:22 AM
06/18/20 12:22 AM
Nebraska, Dawson County
chas3457 Offline
trapper
chas3457  Offline
trapper

Nebraska, Dawson County
You are not even allowed to posses a steel trap in NJ. If you want to keep your pet pea shooter, I wouldn't take it to that crap hole.

PM Newt. He should know the rules.

Charlie

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

NRA Life Member ~ GOA Member ~ NFOA Member ~ UNMLA Member
Re: New Jersey gun law experts question [Re: chas3457] #6902680
06/18/20 12:28 AM
06/18/20 12:28 AM
Indiana
H
Huntall76 Offline OP
trapper
Huntall76  Offline OP
trapper
H

Indiana
Originally Posted by chas3457
You are not even allowed to posses a steel trap in NJ. If you want to keep your pet pea shooter, I wouldn't take it to that crap hole.

PM Newt. He should know the rules.

Charlie

Why does it got to be called a (pet pea shooter)? It's the only one I got that meets their clip size restrictions. Lmao

Re: New Jersey gun law experts question [Re: Huntall76] #6902683
06/18/20 12:42 AM
06/18/20 12:42 AM
Nebraska, Dawson County
chas3457 Offline
trapper
chas3457  Offline
trapper

Nebraska, Dawson County
Just rattling your chain a little, no offence intended. wink

I don't know if you are at all familiar with the works of the author, Robert Ruark, but one of his great books is titled "Use Enough Gun".

Now if you had mentioned a .25 auto, I would take the gloves off. That particular trinket does not even rate as high as a pea shooter. sick

I hope you find the information you need. smile

Charlie

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

NRA Life Member ~ GOA Member ~ NFOA Member ~ UNMLA Member
Re: New Jersey gun law experts question [Re: Huntall76] #6902685
06/18/20 12:51 AM
06/18/20 12:51 AM
eastern washington
B
BillyTraps Offline
trapper
BillyTraps  Offline
trapper
B

eastern washington

Re: New Jersey gun law experts question [Re: Huntall76] #6902704
06/18/20 02:01 AM
06/18/20 02:01 AM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
You can transport a firearm THROUGH NJ and are protected by the Federal Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA). You must be traveling from a place where you can "possess and carry" to a place where you can "possess and carry" your firearm for FOPA to apply. The gun must be cased, unloaded, ammo "separate" from the firearm, and outside of the passenger compartment. There is a list of banned firearms and you can't possess hollow point bullets - don't bring these, even if you're covered by FOPA. NJ Cops don't know FOPA and will arrest you. Your attorney will have to prove in court that the federal law protected you - after you've spend a lot of time in jail waiting for trial.

You can not bring a firearm INTO NJ. The rules for transporting long guns and handguns are different. Since you asked about handguns: You can transport only between your home, stationary place of business, the gun shop, and a licensed shooting range. All other transport of a handgun is illegal in NJ. If I take a handgun to my parent's farm to shoot cans, it's a felony. The gun must be transported "unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.”

NJ does not recognize any other state's carry permits and does not issue it's own. Officially, NJ has a carry permit but nobody ever gets one. We don't know who has the permits but only about 400 are issued each year, they are valid for 2 years. That means about .0009% of the population has one. The speculation is that most of these are armed security guards. Those permits limit the hours of carry to working hours only. We've had security guards with permits arrested for transporting their guns home from their job.

Google "Shaneen Allen". She had a carry permit in PA and didn't know about NJ's laws. When pulled over on the way to her kid's birthday party, she voluntarily told the NJ trooper that she had a carry permit and had a firearm in her purse. She was arrested and the prosecutor was pushing for 3 years in prison. After a huge public outcry, she was let into a pre-trial intervention program and did not do any time.

There was a guy from UTAH that was flying to (I forget the state). He had a stopover in the Newark Airport. His connecting flight was cancelled and the airline put him up in a hotel for the night. He picked up his luggage and took it to the hotel - including the firearm he had declared at the airport in UTAH. The next morning, he returned to the airport to get on his connecting flight and declared his firearm again. He was arrested for possessing a firearm in NJ.

I was involved in one of the NJ pro-gun organizations for a while. We have several arrests every year of people from other states who don't know NJ's laws and just assume a carry permit is good in every state like a drivers license. It used to be that a lot of cops would know this problem, tell you lock it in your trunk and don't stop until you get to the border. With body cams and body mics, cops have to follow the rule book. We're seeing a lot more arrests.

Stay away.

-Ryan
Re: New Jersey gun law experts question [Re: Huntall76] #6902705
06/18/20 02:18 AM
06/18/20 02:18 AM
Indiana
H
Huntall76 Offline OP
trapper
Huntall76  Offline OP
trapper
H

Indiana
So if I read that correctly I could skirt the law by bringing my gun into the state and taking it directly to a gun shop to get it cleaned and then pick it up from the gun shop on my way home and leave the state. Does anyone see a flaw in that way of thinking?

Re: New Jersey gun law experts question [Re: Huntall76] #6902708
06/18/20 04:12 AM
06/18/20 04:12 AM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
Originally Posted by Huntall76
So if I read that correctly I could skirt the law by bringing my gun into the state and taking it directly to a gun shop to get it cleaned and then pick it up from the gun shop on my way home and leave the state. Does anyone see a flaw in that way of thinking?

Maybe.

2C:39-6 (e). Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

This is subsection g:
NJSA 2C:39-6 (g) "All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.”

Get the wrong cop and the wrong prosecutor and they will comb the law to look for a way to charge you. If you come from a hotel in OH, you won't be transporting "between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired". Nobody can believe it but NJ is not like the rest of America - not even close when it comes to guns. And, this week SCOTUS just refused to hear a couple of carry cases from NJ. We were really hoping from some relief from the courts but won't be getting any.

You might want to leave it at a gun shop in PA just before you cross the NJ line. Do you know what highway you'll be using to cross from PA into NJ, I know several PA gun shops and I'm not far from Atlantic City.

-Ryan
Re: New Jersey gun law experts question [Re: Huntall76] #6902733
06/18/20 05:59 AM
06/18/20 05:59 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
I would skirt the law by staying home and not going to New Jersey at all. Keep your wife at home where it's safe. No need to visit that rat hole. Make up some excuse.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: New Jersey gun law experts question [Re: Huntall76] #6902743
06/18/20 06:41 AM
06/18/20 06:41 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I live in PA and do a fair amount of work in NJ. I carry all the time here in PA and when I first started working in NJ I carried there too. I thought then and still do now that it is completely ridiculous that something perfectly legal in my state becomes a serious felony upon crossing the Delaware River.

A few years later one of the guys I work with in that state warned me of the consequences of getting caught with a handgun. I looked it up and now I leave my handgun at home when working there.

If arrested for a gun charge in New Jersey, you are facing some of the most serious gun laws in the country. For possession of an illegal handgun you are facing 5-10 years in prison. Any single firearms offense in New Jersey carries a weight of a minimum of 5 years in state prison with 10 years being the maximum.

Eh...wot?

Re: New Jersey gun law experts question [Re: Huntall76] #6902745
06/18/20 06:50 AM
06/18/20 06:50 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
I'm not saying you should so anything illegal, but there's plenty of hiding spots in a vehicle that a gun will fit in,that won't get searched unless you give an officer a really good reason to tear your vehicle apart. Do whatever you have to do to sleep comfortably at night is all I'm saying.

Re: New Jersey gun law experts question [Re: Huntall76] #6902751
06/18/20 07:01 AM
06/18/20 07:01 AM
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Bring and wear your gun. BUT IF YOU GET COUGHT.YOU WILL GO TO JAIL.
May be you will get freed from jail. But not with out a Layer. Bottom line YOU WILL SPEND TIME IN JAIL.Till you see a judge.

I would'ent go to Atlantic City for ANYTHING. I SAID ANYTHING

You are taking your life in your own hands.
"IF" your black,you might get away with it. But whites dont stand a chance.

South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 19-20-21 2024
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------

www.snareone.com
Re: New Jersey gun law experts question [Re: Huntall76] #6902766
06/18/20 07:25 AM
06/18/20 07:25 AM
Happy Valley
CoonsBane Offline
trapper
CoonsBane  Offline
trapper

Happy Valley
I'm struggling to understand. If you have your firearm concealed, on your person, in your vehicle or in your hotel room, how will anyone know you have it? Are you planning any activities that will involve law enforcement interaction? If you aren't engaging in any other criminal activity and aren't entering places with metal detectors and x ray machines, why would you even worry about it?

Re: New Jersey gun law experts question [Re: Lugnut] #6902768
06/18/20 07:27 AM
06/18/20 07:27 AM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
Newts got a point. We see all the time, a guy in vacation from Virginia has a carry permit and his legally purchased firearm in his car. Prosecutor tries to get 5 years in prison. Gang banger from Camden with a felony record uses a gun he bought illegally to commit an armed robbery and the prosecutor tries to get 18 months, they guy is on the street in 9 months.

Originally Posted by Lugnut
...If arrested for a gun charge in New Jersey, you are facing some of the most serious gun laws in the country. For possession of an illegal handgun you are facing 5-10 years in prison. Any single firearms offense in New Jersey carries a weight of a minimum of 5 years in state prison with 10 years being the maximum.

I think illegal possession is 3-1/2 - 10 under the Graves Act. If you've got more than 10 rounds and hollow points, add a few more years to that.

-Ryan
Re: New Jersey gun law experts question [Re: CoonsBane] #6902778
06/18/20 07:40 AM
06/18/20 07:40 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by CoonsBane
I'm struggling to understand. If you have your firearm concealed, on your person, in your vehicle or in your hotel room, how will anyone know you have it? Are you planning any activities that will involve law enforcement interaction? If you aren't engaging in any other criminal activity and aren't entering places with metal detectors and x ray machines, why would you even worry about it?

Plenty of cases of law abiding citizens getting caught with firearms. If you are in a traffic stop and the police find a reason to search your vehicle. If they ask you to step out, often times they will do a quick pat down. These are just two examples.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: New Jersey gun law experts question [Re: Huntall76] #6902780
06/18/20 07:47 AM
06/18/20 07:47 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
Your wife should tell her company she does not feel safe going to NJ and will not be attending the annual meeting. There is no good reason to carry somewhere that you cannot use without prosecution unless you absolutely must go there.

Re: New Jersey gun law experts question [Re: Huntall76] #6902799
06/18/20 08:15 AM
06/18/20 08:15 AM
N.J.
PineDoggin Offline
trapper
PineDoggin  Offline
trapper

N.J.
If you should have to come to NJ tell them to make it in Ocean city, Beautiful there AC is a dump. No need to worry to have a gun there.

Re: New Jersey gun law experts question [Re: Huntall76] #6902810
06/18/20 08:34 AM
06/18/20 08:34 AM
ny
G
gcs Online content
trapper
gcs  Online Content
trapper
G

ny
Atlantic City?, in this climate?, I don't think so....Have your wife tell her company she may have been exposed to the virus and is not feeling well, then get an all clear test so she can go back to work....

Re: New Jersey gun law experts question [Re: PineDoggin] #6902818
06/18/20 08:45 AM
06/18/20 08:45 AM
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Originally Posted by PineDoggin
If you should have to come to NJ tell them to make it in Ocean city, Beautiful there AC is a dump. No need to worry to have a gun there.

Ocean City 2x

South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 19-20-21 2024
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------

www.snareone.com
Re: New Jersey gun law experts question [Re: Huntall76] #6902869
06/18/20 09:37 AM
06/18/20 09:37 AM
Southern, New Jersey
Bill from NJ Offline
trapper
Bill from NJ  Offline
trapper

Southern, New Jersey
Huntail 76,

Please do NOT bring any firearm into the Republic of NJ.
You will be arrested. Your life will be turned upside down.
Countless times we read in the news about innocent folks from out of state bringing firearms into NJ, and their life is ruined.
My sincere advice for you and your wife, stay out of New Jersey.
As for Atlantic City... it is a crime infested crap hole.
Please, please.... Heed this advice.

Maintenanceguy did a great job and posted some of the State rules and regs.

Please stay away, not worth even visiting this place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread