No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Small scale seed innoculation #6904805
06/20/20 06:10 AM
06/20/20 06:10 AM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline OP
trapper
midlander  Offline OP
trapper
M

midland, michigan
Getting ready to plant some trefoil and it will be my first time innoculating the seed. This is small scale, 6 lbs of seed to be broadcast from bag seeder and then cultipacked. Ive had some say to wet the seed lightly and then apply the innoculant and other say that applying it dry would be fine. Dry sounds easier but I woory about getting proper seed coverage. Any experienced food plotters out there have a proven method for this...?

Re: Small scale seed innoculation [Re: midlander] #6904848
06/20/20 07:51 AM
06/20/20 07:51 AM
NE
M
Marty B Offline
"arbitrary noob"
Marty B  Offline
"arbitrary noob"
M

NE
There's liquid innoculant also.

Re: Small scale seed innoculation [Re: midlander] #6904869
06/20/20 08:22 AM
06/20/20 08:22 AM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
5 gal bucket, seed, then powdered innoculant, electric drill with paint stirrer, very slow speed and it will mix fine. If no drill handy use a smaller bucket with lid (3-4 gal.), ad seed and innoculant, close lid tightly and roll bucket a dozen or so times on its side. And really for a food plot the N fixing process with the bacteria is not essential. Had to explain that to the PF biologist that discing grass, planting legume that fixes N, just enhances the grass to encroach back into the plot that much faster. Same with Mid Contract Mgmt. doing CRP with legume interseeding. You DON'T want to encourage that bromegrass (cool season) by giving it N. You'er not raising 200 bu. corn the following season so the above ground vegatative benefit for wildlife is your objective. If your plot is for deer there are tons of legume suggestions by people,,,, but having your crop fix N is not essential for deer usage.......................... the mike (an MSU grad, class of '80 out here in Nebraska) .

Re: Small scale seed innoculation [Re: midlander] #6904889
06/20/20 08:50 AM
06/20/20 08:50 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Online content

trapper
330-Trapper  Online Content

trapper

Minnesota
Id roll it in a bucket dry

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Small scale seed innoculation [Re: midlander] #6904903
06/20/20 09:18 AM
06/20/20 09:18 AM
EC Indiana
M
MikeC Offline
trapper
MikeC  Offline
trapper
M

EC Indiana
Dry inoculant is made to stick to anything, including you. You will get excellent coverage regardless. Times when I've used it I just dumped it on top of the seed box and give it a quick stir. You will love the trefoil, it sometime takes awhile to establish but when it does it will stay. I still find it growing in old pastures and edges of fields that used to be pasture. Mike

Re: Small scale seed innoculation [Re: Wife] #6906033
06/21/20 11:32 AM
06/21/20 11:32 AM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline OP
trapper
midlander  Offline OP
trapper
M

midland, michigan
[quote=Wife]5 gal bucket, seed, then powdered innoculant, electric drill with paint stirrer, very slow speed and it will mix fine. If no drill handy use a smaller bucket with lid (3-4 gal.), ad seed and innoculant, close lid tightly and roll bucket a dozen or so times on its side. And really for a food plot the N fixing process with the bacteria is not essential. Had to explain that to the PF biologist that discing grass, planting legume that fixes N, just enhances the grass to encroach back into the plot that much faster. Same with Mid Contract Mgmt. doing CRP with legume interseeding. You DON'T want to encourage that bromegrass (cool season) by giving it N. You'er not raising 200 bu. corn the following season so the above ground vegatative benefit for wildlife is your objective. If your plot is for deer there are tons of legume suggestions by people,,,, but having your crop fix N is not essential for deer usage.......................... the mike (an MSU grad, class of '80 out here in Nebraska) .

Thanks Mike. The reason for innoculating trefoil is not for supplying next years crop with nitrogen in the soil, but rather to help in establishment of the trefoil (at least for me). Trefoil can often times be more difficult to establish than a regular legume and that innoculation can give it a little quicker jump and the ability to readily compete with broadleafs and other vegetation. Truthfully, I had not originally planned on innoculating the seed, but a couple well respected dairy farmers were standing at the elevator when i purchased the seed and they both advised to get the inoculate. They explained what I just regurgitated above and I then did a little more reading. Trefoil seed is not cheap and i just wanted the best chance for good establishment so that Im not buying twice. This particjlar plot tends to be on the wet side and it is always a challenge for me to get my equipment in to work it. Finally decided to get something in there that likes moist soils and can last for years. PS...I wont hold it against you for going to MSU.....Go Blue Lol

Re: Small scale seed innoculation [Re: midlander] #6906329
06/21/20 05:03 PM
06/21/20 05:03 PM
EC Indiana
M
MikeC Offline
trapper
MikeC  Offline
trapper
M

EC Indiana
I didn't go to MSU, I am a self respecting Hoosier. Mike

Re: Small scale seed innoculation [Re: midlander] #6906447
06/21/20 07:15 PM
06/21/20 07:15 PM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
Mammoth Red Clover works in damper soils (you may want to mix in a pound to see results) but it is short lived with 3 years being the limit in most areas. No harvest and self seeding may extend the stand. Here the Trefoil is used and grows along the state highways where an 8" mowing height is maintained. It gets out competed everywhere else by the taller grasses and legumes. The Trefoil is good for shorter growing seasons along with the neighboring plant heights. Good luck with it as I hope you get the deer response you seek and EHD stays away. I wrote a management plan for two fellows by their Bud Lake land as they seem to be like all you guys in Mich. (addicted to big bucks).......................... the original mike

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread