No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: #11 DBL for Fisher [Re: Nessmuck] #6904881
06/20/20 08:40 AM
06/20/20 08:40 AM
NY
R
Rat_Pack Offline
trapper
Rat_Pack  Offline
trapper
R

NY
Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Wow....New York must have change the regulations ....is that Statewide ?

No, that's the fisher expansion area in the Southern Tier and unit 7A. Other parts of the state have a longer season, although the DEC is tweeking that too. Some areas have no fisher season, although there are plenty of them in much of the closed areas

Re: #11 DBL for Fisher [Re: henpecked1] #6904928
06/20/20 09:45 AM
06/20/20 09:45 AM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by henpecked1
you might want to consider a sweet bait (like honey based) as they may respond to it better early in the season, they are working the ground more like a coon. go into the woods and you will smell alot of skunk with beaver and see pole sets, so much skunk in the air its like the old days fox trapping, that early they are into the nuts and berries not old beaver meat and skunk, thats why the hit ratio is so bad with these sets early.. They will lay up in large mast groves, with good visibility, places where you would look for old coon den trees. When they hit they start spinning, so the swivel set up looks pretty good. a friend of mine also makes a fisher gland lure that seems to have quite an attraction to them. They do not like mink or the smell of mink gland lure, they will swim across beaver ponds and streams with no effort. the old males are point a to point traveler. Most fisher books are written for later in the season with snow on the ground, not early fall with ground prey, fruit and nuts in abundance, they want sugar. i have spent alot of time tracking them in the snow the last two years. they will also establish toilets on blown down trees, like big mink droppings. When you are in the woods and it looks like great coon country but you find no coon sign, you might be in fisher core area, Good luck they are killing machines. See you in the woods with the other guys. oh by the ways some of these guys are running 60 to 80 pole and cubby sets a days and only catch 1 to 3 fisher in the 5 days season. you might want to think grey fox trapping, one other item, they have a long neck, quite a ways from their front feet.

Good information here.
I would never criticize your use of the #11.
Not a fisher expert but in my opinion a large male fisher has a pretty large foot. Not saying that if you grab part of the foot, that you will not hold on to it. The longs spring has tremendous holding power.
Personally I think you might be at an advantage to use a #2 Sleepy Creek Long Spring. I see you had some of those in another post. I used to foot trap for fisher a fair amount. My favorite trap for them back in the 70s and 80s was the #1.75. I like the number 2 sleep creek long spring. I also like the MB550 for fisher. The MB would be a decent all around trap if they would put on a pan system that did not need a crap ton of tinkering to adjust it.

I would pre-bait heavy. Re-read what Henpecked1 wrote.
Good luck

Re: #11 DBL for Fisher [Re: TonawandaTrapper] #6904943
06/20/20 09:58 AM
06/20/20 09:58 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
As tenacious a trap as was ever made. I've caught fifty pound beaver by the back foot in them before, bobcats and coyotes, and everything else. Used them while water trapping coons and mink, and had all the others caught at pockets and blind sets. They lock up tighter than hades!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: #11 DBL for Fisher [Re: Mac] #6904952
06/20/20 10:10 AM
06/20/20 10:10 AM
Tonawanda, NY, 14150 Erie
TonawandaTrapper Offline OP
trapper
TonawandaTrapper  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted by Mac
Originally Posted by henpecked1
you might want to consider a sweet bait (like honey based) as they may respond to it better early in the season, they are working the ground more like a coon. go into the woods and you will smell alot of skunk with beaver and see pole sets, so much skunk in the air its like the old days fox trapping, that early they are into the nuts and berries not old beaver meat and skunk, thats why the hit ratio is so bad with these sets early.. They will lay up in large mast groves, with good visibility, places where you would look for old coon den trees. When they hit they start spinning, so the swivel set up looks pretty good. a friend of mine also makes a fisher gland lure that seems to have quite an attraction to them. They do not like mink or the smell of mink gland lure, they will swim across beaver ponds and streams with no effort. the old males are point a to point traveler. Most fisher books are written for later in the season with snow on the ground, not early fall with ground prey, fruit and nuts in abundance, they want sugar. i have spent alot of time tracking them in the snow the last two years. they will also establish toilets on blown down trees, like big mink droppings. When you are in the woods and it looks like great coon country but you find no coon sign, you might be in fisher core area, Good luck they are killing machines. See you in the woods with the other guys. oh by the ways some of these guys are running 60 to 80 pole and cubby sets a days and only catch 1 to 3 fisher in the 5 days season. you might want to think grey fox trapping, one other item, they have a long neck, quite a ways from their front feet.

Good information here.
I would never criticize your use of the #11.
Not a fisher expert but in my opinion a large male fisher has a pretty large foot. Not saying that if you grab part of the foot, that you will not hold on to it. The longs spring has tremendous holding power.
Personally I think you might be at an advantage to use a #2 Sleepy Creek Long Spring. I see you had some of those in another post. I used to foot trap for fisher a fair amount. My favorite trap for them back in the 70s and 80s was the #1.75. I like the number 2 sleep creek long spring. I also like the MB550 for fisher. The MB would be a decent all around trap if they would put on a pan system that did not need a crap ton of tinkering to adjust it.

I would pre-bait heavy. Re-read what Henpecked1 wrote.
Good luck

I didn't think of using my MB550s or the #2's for Fisher. That's a good idea!

Re: #11 DBL for Fisher [Re: TonawandaTrapper] #6904966
06/20/20 10:23 AM
06/20/20 10:23 AM
PA
woodchuck Offline
trapper
woodchuck  Offline
trapper

PA
Just something see. You have you're in Erie in your location (as well as New York). Is that Erie county PA (assuming not but...)? Reason asking is that they opened fisher season this season here in zone 1B (Erie, Warren, etc) area for this year and Erie, PA is in that zone (is right around/after CHRISTmas). Only reason saying this is saw you mention 160's. For PA they have to be in a watercourse, marsh etc., not above high water mark. So (here at least) it is going to cut down on where I can set, wanted to do some 160 cubbies on leaning logs/tree trunks. Going to be 1 1/2's though for me. We got several beaver last year and guy we give them to skinned them and kept the castors and gave a few carcasses back we asked for. Set game cams and video cams on them. Had the beaver 5' up. Figure have 100 videos of them (multiple at same visit) and they worked the beavers good. Set later when he had nuisance beaver and hung the whole beaver not skinned. These were hardly worked after a couple days (but these were late May/early June so know this will affect results). Going to make multiple sets along/in pine belts as usually have seen more tracks/sign there but also setting other places for them.

Last edited by woodchuck; 06/20/20 10:26 AM.
Re: #11 DBL for Fisher [Re: woodchuck] #6907021
06/22/20 09:00 AM
06/22/20 09:00 AM
TonawandaTrapper Offline OP
trapper
TonawandaTrapper  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted by woodchuck
Just something see. You have you're in Erie in your location (as well as New York). Is that Erie county PA (assuming not but...)? Reason asking is that they opened fisher season this season here in zone 1B (Erie, Warren, etc) area for this year and Erie, PA is in that zone (is right around/after CHRISTmas). Only reason saying this is saw you mention 160's. For PA they have to be in a watercourse, marsh etc., not above high water mark. So (here at least) it is going to cut down on where I can set, wanted to do some 160 cubbies on leaning logs/tree trunks. Going to be 1 1/2's though for me. We got several beaver last year and guy we give them to skinned them and kept the castors and gave a few carcasses back we asked for. Set game cams and video cams on them. Had the beaver 5' up. Figure have 100 videos of them (multiple at same visit) and they worked the beavers good. Set later when he had nuisance beaver and hung the whole beaver not skinned. These were hardly worked after a couple days (but these were late May/early June so know this will affect results). Going to make multiple sets along/in pine belts as usually have seen more tracks/sign there but also setting other places for them.

Erie County NY. Tonawanda is a northern suburb of Buffalo. I only have a chance to trap fisher on our Private land in Cattaraugus County. A couple years ago I left out 2 beaver carcass and trail cam. The pictures I got where awesome everything from Golden Eagles, coyote, to fox and Coon side by side. Its a short season and I'll only be able to trap 3 of the days, so lady luck will need to be at my side.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread